CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

ExiledStirling 13-01-2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15590132)
In the new century the powers to be have done everything they can to demean the F.A Cup. Once the greatest cup competition in the world it's now being turned into more of a farce with the double draw (4th and 5th) yesterday. Why? I assume it is covid related. I'm not for one minute underestimating the virus, but how does it prevent a couple of codgers picking balls out of a hat? One of the highlights of the season as a youngster was getting the early edition of the Evening Standard and saying a quick prayer before turning to the back and seeing the draw. Or hanging out at the school gate at dinner break hoping one of the dads would have a transistor handy.

iirc It was at 1PM on a Monday. A daft time really so an understandable change, yet I still mourn its loss because it was a tradition and all part of the theatre.

The FA cup third round used to be one of the highlights of the football calendar almost as big as the final itself.

Teams played their strongest teams regardless of the opposition so giant killings really meant something. Not now, so that has taken away a lot of the magic of the FA cup :(

NRM the 2nd 13-01-2021 07:28 AM

Agree the FA Cup used to be magical. The third round, the draws, the 3 hour build up to the final and regardless of who was playing you watched it. Watching the team bus leave the hotel and arrive. Old Wembley, replays, semi finals at grounds like villa Park, the cheesy Cup final song, always being the last game of the domestic calender, all of that was the magic. With all that gone all you have is just another football match

JJ 13-01-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRM the 2nd (Post 15590555)
always being the last game of the domestic calender

Which is why we had to play Burnley on a Friday night in May 1979.

N Herts Eagle 13-01-2021 07:47 AM

The magic of the cup has changed. The Final was one game every year that was televised by both channels. The only game domestically. You had the papers with colouŕ editions everyone was aware of the teams and players in the Final. Names lost in the league became household names. Names were made and stars were missed. Fred Pickering Mike Trebilcock in 1966. Neil Young Alan Taylor Makcolm MacDonald. The list is endless. Now you can watch what three games a day.
Thats where the magic for lower league clubs came. Star names turned up at your ground played your heros and the dream of the shock the upset was alive and well. Great sides beaten in the 60s Nottingham Forest by us. My guess Hartlepool still talk of beating us in the 90s.
I lived in Stevenage the day Newcastle played them in the Cup and the buzz in the town the excitement was a great feeling.
Marine at the weekend was a wonderful advert of what could be. All credit that Jose took some big names Bale from the bench and reading the full back conversation with him. If you missed it Bale confessed he was starving and the full back responded its ok we have got you all a meal deal from Tescos for after the game. Jose entering the raffle to be manager fir the day admitting if he won might not be able to claim it as it was going to be a Saturday in August.
The draw is not what we recall be honest who has a transitor radio. Like cricket we watch check the Internet.
Yes though the magic at our level is not the same we see the top sides week in week out.The TV coverage currently every game. But for others the magic is still there.

bubbs11 13-01-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15590552)
iirc It was at 1PM on a Monday. A daft time really so an understandable change

Remember in 1987, sitting in a French lesson with my radio headphones on secretly listening to the 4th Round draw. The teacher caught me just before the draw started, but he was a really nice bloke and after I explained he let me listen. A few snidey kids in the class asked why i was getting preferential treatment, and he said Ďwell itís clear heís really passionate about listening to it.í Good man.

We drew Spurs away. Merde!

bubbs11 13-01-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15589319)
This!

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/169C45FA...1117BC9.md.jpg


Shopping experience at the moment is get it done as quickly as possible and get the hell out of there, so mindlessly scanned through all my shopping and forgot to get an assistant to take off the security protective case on my razors. Didnít set the security alarm off either???

Canít take it back as 1) I canít be bothered and 2) Iíve no receipt so will probably think Iíve nicked it. Iíve tried to break it open but for the life of me, I just canít. So before I take a hammer to it, anyone got any ideas?



*UPDATE*


Problem solved

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/70030B1D...45C1744.md.jpg

PALACEWU 13-01-2021 10:38 AM

Did you nick the hammer too?

Isle of Wight 13-01-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15590730)
Did you nick the hammer too?

Bugger you got there first :)

west country boy 13-01-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 15590534)
The current ASDA television campaign.

With the SEN chap?

bubbs11 13-01-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15590730)
Did you nick the hammer too?

You can take the boy out of Croydon...

big bad John 13-01-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRM the 2nd (Post 15590555)
always being the last game of the domestic calender,

Not always. I remember when Sunderland caused probably the biggest cup final upset ever when they beat Leeds in 73. A couple of days later they played QPR in their final League Match at a packed Roker Park. QPR, already promoted, forgot the script and won 3-0. Sunderland had the F.A Cup on show on the pitch pre-match. Stan Bowles reckons in the kick about before hand he tried his best to knock it over with wayward shots.

Slimbloke'H' 13-01-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15590703)

Maidstoned will be proud of you (although he would probably have suggested a bigger hammer).

ElwissAtMemphis 13-01-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15591267)
Not always. I remember when Sunderland caused probably the biggest cup final upset ever when they beat Leeds in 73. A couple of days later they played QPR in their final League Match at a packed Roker Park. QPR, already promoted, forgot the script and won 3-0. Sunderland had the F.A Cup on show on the pitch pre-match. Stan Bowles reckons in the kick about before hand he tried his best to knock it over with wayward shots.

Also, the season of our Friday night Burnley decider (78/79), Millwall still had 3 home matches to play after the Cup Final because of the brutal winter that year.

They still had a mathematical chance of saving themselves although their goal difference rendered it unrealistic. They started with a 2-1 home win against West Ham who had blown a decent chance of promotion with a lame run-in. It would have been the last time the 2 sides met for many years and can't have been for the feint-hearted.

Hedgehog 13-01-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15591274)
Maidstoned will be proud of you (although he would probably have suggested a bigger hammer).

Blind_Eagle would have used a 12 Bore Shotgun!

little al 13-01-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15591851)
Blind_Eagle would have used a 12 Bore Shotgun!

Blind Eagle shaves with a razor clam shell.

Jim Cannon 14-01-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15591320)
Also, the season of our Friday night Burnley decider (78/79), Millwall still had 3 home matches to play after the Cup Final because of the brutal winter that year.

They still had a mathematical chance of saving themselves although their goal difference rendered it unrealistic. They started with a 2-1 home win against West Ham who had blown a decent chance of promotion with a lame run-in. It would have been the last time the 2 sides met for many years and can't have been for the feint-hearted.

Sorry to be pedantic but pretty sure it was still goal average back then wasn't it

Sharkba1t 14-01-2021 09:22 AM

This incessant rain.

TopKnot 14-01-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15592111)
This incessant rain.

yep. getting properly fed up with it now.

Mad Max 14-01-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15592111)
This incessant rain.

Don`t get me started on this,can anyone clarify if it`s been the wettest winter ever?

Blind_Eagle 14-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15592111)
This incessant rain.

Yesterday was the first time it has rained for two weeks down here. :confused:

Fatboy 14-01-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15590730)
Did you nick the hammer too?

Very shiny too. Used for the first time I think.

Hedgehog 14-01-2021 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy (Post 15592481)
Very shiny too. Used for the first time I think.

Still got the price tag on it by the looks of it (tie wrap?).

Poor Bubbs had to buy a hammer to get his razor blades... sounds like one of them lateral thinking puzzles.

Jim Cannon 14-01-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15592630)
Still got the price tag on it by the looks of it (tie wrap?).

Poor Bubbs had to buy a hammer to get his razor blades... sounds like one of them lateral thinking puzzles.

I thought he nicked it though

LN1 14-01-2021 05:23 PM

https://i.imgur.com/yW0ixub.jpg

glenn.f 14-01-2021 05:59 PM

Lorries that you've been stuck behind for bleeding miles, chucking shit all over your windscreen, allowing other lorries out of a junction when they turn off.

PALACEWU 14-01-2021 06:02 PM

People driving whilst on their phones.

Joe85 14-01-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 15592772)
Lorries that you've been stuck behind for bleeding miles, chucking shit all over your windscreen, allowing other lorries out of a junction when they turn off.

Haha. Lorries that decide to overtake a train of other lorries on a dual carridgeway, doing so a fraction faster than the lorries they're overtaking.

glenn.f 14-01-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15592780)
People driving whilst on their phones.

Not sure if that was aimed at me but was safely tucked up on my sofa to get my daily whinge out:p

Hedgehog 14-01-2021 11:23 PM

Maidstoned Eagle seems to have disappeared... This thread is nothing without him.

pallet 15-01-2021 11:41 AM

Vapes and people that vape. Have you considered how stupid you look sucking on a metal box with a plastic straw sticking out?

chatham_eagle 15-01-2021 11:48 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...olFJA&usqp=CAU

pallet 15-01-2021 12:01 PM

How did you get that picture of me??

Sharkba1t 15-01-2021 03:13 PM

This might not be the correct subject for this thread but here goes anyway :

Just saw on TV the bloke who is the boss of Pimlico Plumbers (Charlie Mullins). I think he lives in Marbella. Anyway, google him. What a fkin mess. Ive no idea what age he is, he has had so much surgery. His eyebrows are fake, his teeth are stupidly white. He must have too much money, but what he doesn't seem to have is someone near to him who's honest!

chatham_eagle 15-01-2021 05:30 PM

Records that don't come with a download code.

strawberry mivi 15-01-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 15592787)
Haha. Lorries that decide to overtake a train of other lorries on a dual carridgeway, doing so a fraction faster than the lorries they're overtaking.


Welcome to the A1

Mad Max 15-01-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15595088)
This might not be the correct subject for this thread but here goes anyway :

Just saw on TV the bloke who is the boss of Pimlico Plumbers (Charlie Mullins). I think he lives in Marbella. Anyway, google him. What a fkin mess. Ive no idea what age he is, he has had so much surgery. His eyebrows are fake, his teeth are stupidly white. He must have too much money, but what he doesn't seem to have is someone near to him who's honest!

I think cheeky chappy made good has run it`s course,this twat and the cock wank that owns (or did) Lanes drains (see combat dealers) are the worst examples.

Thatch 16-01-2021 12:44 AM

The current trend of people starting sentences with "So" - why? It is not necessary 99% of the time and is really bloody annoying! When did this start and where did it come from?

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatch (Post 15595639)
The current trend of people starting sentences with "So" - why? It is not necessary 99% of the time and is really bloody annoying! When did this start and where did it come from?

Apparently it comes from America if you believe this BBS... :hi:

Thatch 16-01-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15595642)
Apparently it comes from America if you believe this BBS... :hi:

Oh have we done this before?

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatch (Post 15595644)
Oh have we done this before?

It's been mentioned yes.

Personally I do it all the time (start with "so"), so maybe it is an Americanism.

Stavros 69 16-01-2021 12:56 AM

Switching between windows and a Mac.

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 02:03 AM

I had to do that for many years (Mac at home, Windows at work).

I guess a bit like jumping between a manual gear car and an automatic...

Isle of Wight 16-01-2021 01:08 PM

Croaky girls voices. Seems to be USA centric but is creeping its way here. It must make them have a sore throat and its bloody irritating. I cant take what they say seriously.

Purepalace 16-01-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15596293)
Croaky girls voices. Seems to be USA centric but is creeping its way here. It must make them have a sore throat and its bloody irritating. I cant take what they say seriously.

'Vocal fry' and yes it's extremely irritating.

Isle of Wight 16-01-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purepalace (Post 15596296)
'Vocal fry' and yes it's extremely irritating.


Why though ??? it must be a conscious decision.

Purepalace 16-01-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15596307)
Why though ??? it must be a conscious decision.

Yes and I think the Kardasians are mostly to blame. Good article here

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011...ping-us-speech

Isle of Wight 16-01-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purepalace (Post 15596315)
Yes and I think the Kardasians are mostly to blame. Good article here

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011...ping-us-speech


Thanks

"classified as part of a voice disorder that was believed to lead to vocal cord damage."

No shit sherlock. If I had my way I would force people that spoke like this to have their vocal cords removed. I would also do the same to people that use F instead of TH when they are perfectly capable of pronouncing it as in "Fings that are free" People dont say "Fings fat are free" they can have their lower lip removed ;)

Purepalace 16-01-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15596371)
Thanks

"classified as part of a voice disorder that was believed to lead to vocal cord damage."

No shit sherlock. If I had my way I would force people that spoke like this to have their vocal cords removed. I would also do the same to people that use F instead of TH when they are perfectly capable of pronouncing it as in "Fings that are free" People dont say "Fings fat are free" they can have their lower lip removed ;)

:D

Stellavista 16-01-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15596371)
Thanks

"classified as part of a voice disorder that was believed to lead to vocal cord damage."

No shit sherlock. If I had my way I would force people that spoke like this to have their vocal cords removed. I would also do the same to people that use F instead of TH when they are perfectly capable of pronouncing it as in "Fings that are free" People dont say "Fings fat are free" they can have their lower lip removed ;)

All seems very reasonable.

Stellavista 16-01-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15595642)
Apparently it comes from America if you believe this BBS... :hi:

I thought, specifically, the West Coast?

stamford triumph 16-01-2021 03:34 PM

Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15596583)
Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

The new Amazon Prime (or whatever it is called) coverage seem to be the worse at doing this, but I've seen it creeping into others coverage also.

Have to blame the director... probably fresh out of media school and know nothing about football.

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15596421)
I thought, specifically, the West Coast?

It might be. I'm on the West Coast and start many a sentence with so, especially when talking to my wife. But to be fair I've not really anyone else to talk to these days.

Example:

I could say, "What's for dinner?" and inevitably she would say, "What did you say?"

Or I could say, "So, what's for dinner?" and for some reason she will hear me. I think the "So" acts as an alert which lets her know I'm not talking to myself! :)

Dj 784 16-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15596583)
Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

This

So annoying, one day weíre gonna miss a goal as a result

See also, zooming in for no reason. Itís no use seeing the player who has the ball when you canít see where they are on the pitch or whoís open.

BERT'S HEAD 16-01-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15596583)
Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

It was Super Coach Bielsa, what do you expect :supergrin:

chateauferret 16-01-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15596583)
Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

Surely anyone watching will know that if we have a throw in the other team always gets that ball within a few seconds?

stamford triumph 16-01-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15596867)
Surely anyone watching will know that if we have a throw in the other team always gets that ball within a few seconds?

Yes, but that's just it. I like to see the majesty of it in all its glory. Did Big Ben flick it to no one in particular, did Wardy throw it straight to their full back, did it go to our full back who sent it directly back out of play? I don't feel complete seeing it one moment in our hands and the next moment in the opposition's hands without seeing the intervening incompetence.

SexualChocolate 16-01-2021 09:17 PM

Having enough immunity from COVID to be able to donate plasma, but not enough to get on a plane and see my girlfriend.

PeterH 16-01-2021 09:26 PM

Sexual Chocolate is in da house.

gcwhite 16-01-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15596583)
Increasingly the live football on TV focusing on a replay, a manager, the chairman or an individual player warming up while play goes on. They switch back to the game with the ball in a completely different area of the pitch to where it was last seen. Or in Palace's case a throw in to us, switch the camera away and when it comes back to the game we are mysteriously no longer in possession.

SHOW THE GAME!

Watching the game on telly is just too stressful. Shouting at the ref and shouting at Palace players is a given but now I have to shout at the endless ******* replays and the other stuff mentioned above. Then there's Alan bloody Smith or Jamie bloody Carragher or Glenn boring Hoddle to shout at as well. :wallbash:

west country boy 16-01-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15597185)
Sexual Chocolate is in da house.

And it's not a Friday afternoon.

Hedgehog 16-01-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexualChocolate (Post 15597176)
Having enough immunity from COVID to be able to donate plasma, but not enough to get on a plane and see my girlfriend.

Is she a flight attendant? :rolleyes:

KYLIE MINEAGLE 16-01-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexualChocolate (Post 15597176)
Having enough immunity from COVID to be able to donate plasma, but not enough to get on a plane and see my girlfriend.

I think you are going to have to read Eastern Boys" How long in between thread". If you understand it let us all know.

SexualChocolate 16-01-2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15597200)
Is she a flight attendant? :rolleyes:

No, a Swede.

pallet 17-01-2021 12:11 AM

As in the vegatable variety?

Isle of Wight 17-01-2021 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15597334)
As in the vegatable variety?

no idea why he's making such a fuss when he could simply pop down Morrisons or Asda

art malice 17-01-2021 01:05 AM

‘GET THE SHOT OFF’

Hedgehog 17-01-2021 01:09 AM

Getting a new T-Shirt and the little plastic tag leaves a small hole, that will obviously grow into a larger hole after one wash!

As an aside, a) I found out they are actually called "Swift Tacks" and b) are install with a specialized gun looking thing... always had be scratching my head how they attached them (I'm still not convinced I understand how it works though).

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...b535bcb9e909-c

Timbo 17-01-2021 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15596293)
Croaky girls voices. Seems to be USA centric but is creeping its way here. It must make them have a sore throat and its bloody irritating. I cant take what they say seriously.

I had to look it up but this vid explained it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6r7LhcHHAc

Timbo 17-01-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15596731)
It might be. I'm on the West Coast and start many a sentence with so, especially when talking to my wife. But to be fair I've not really anyone else to talk to these days.

Example:

I could say, "What's for dinner?" and inevitably she would say, "What did you say?"

Or I could say, "So, what's for dinner?" and for some reason she will hear me. I think the "So" acts as an alert which lets her know I'm not talking to myself! :)

Absolutely!

Timbo 17-01-2021 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15596737)
It was Super Coach Bielsa, what do you expect :supergrin:

Bielsa doesn't speak English you know, but in fairness he is so intelligent and well versed in football that he doesn't have time for doing anything else other than study the game and develop tactics

chateauferret 17-01-2021 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15597366)
Bielsa doesn't speak English you know, but in fairness he is so intelligent and well versed in football that he doesn't have time for doing anything else other than study the game and develop tactics

Well he can't be that good at it because today his lot were utter toilet.

Hedgehog 17-01-2021 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15597363)
I had to look it up but this vid explained it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6r7LhcHHAc

As the presenter mentions, there was the "Valley Girl" speak in the early 80's.

Sounds pretty similar to my untrained ear.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 17-01-2021 02:16 AM

The race for the remote every time you watch something on a streaming platform if you want to see the programme/movie all the way to the end, and prevent it from throwing you prematurely into the next episode, or worse - automatically play some random shit you have no interest in at all. You normally get about 15 seconds before everything goes to shit

Worksop Palace 17-01-2021 07:02 AM

Having migraines while asleep.

Isle of Wight 17-01-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15597363)
I had to look it up but this vid explained it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6r7LhcHHAc

It is also evolving to be constant rather than just at the end. Itís like a race to out croak each other. Hope their larynx drops off

chatham_eagle 17-01-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15597366)
Bielsa doesn't speak English you know, but in fairness he is so intelligent and well versed in football that he doesn't have time for doing anything else other than study the game and develop tactics

I think he does, but chooses to use an interpreter in interviews due to the reputation of the British media in twisting/misrepresenting what's said. Similar to Pochettino when he was at Southampton.

Baffled Bob 2 17-01-2021 12:52 PM

Flattening the Weetabix box for the recycling and getting covered in Weetabix dust.

stamford triumph 17-01-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15596731)
It might be. I'm on the West Coast and start many a sentence with so, especially when talking to my wife. But to be fair I've not really anyone else to talk to these days.

People who start sentences with 'to be fair'. Who are they being fair to and why? Surely in the polarised times we live in you should be taking one side or another and not opening yourself to accusations of virtue signalling?

weltklasse 17-01-2021 01:15 PM

Cerys Matthews

Baffled Bob 2 17-01-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15598210)
People who start sentences with 'to be fair'. Who are they being fair to and why? Surely in the polarised times we live in you should be taking one side or another and not opening yourself to accusations of virtue signalling?

To be fair you have got a point

Hedgehog 17-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15598210)
People who start sentences with 'to be fair'. Who are they being fair to and why? Surely in the polarised times we live in you should be taking one side or another and not opening yourself to accusations of virtue signalling?

Pretty soon we we all be talking like Siri or those recorded messages you get when you have to pick 1 for so and so, 2 for this that or the other, or 3 for whatever.

It's the annoying little sayings we humans interject into speech that make us human and not a bloody robot.

Hedgehog 17-01-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatch (Post 15595639)
The current trend of people starting sentences with "So" - why? It is not necessary 99% of the time and is really bloody annoying! When did this start and where did it come from?

How do you feel about Canadians ending every sentence with "Eh"?

I find it somewhat annoying, but at the same time somewhat endearing. Only a Canadian can pull it off, it sounds so wrong when anyone else tries it.

PeterH 17-01-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15598196)
Flattening the Weetabix box for the recycling and getting covered in Weetabix dust.

I think you probably have a fairly carefree life. LOL

Lombardarian 17-01-2021 11:34 PM

Do you ever have a day where you feel like you’ve frequently been saying ‘oh no!’ Well that’s pretty much my weekend!! I must’ve said those words to myself about 100times various things and events gone wrong! It’s annoying!

Lombardarian 17-01-2021 11:44 PM

No kitchen towel 'oh no' , no toilet paper 'oh no', increased flats service charge 'oh no', people getting angry on group chat about said increase charge 'oh no', putting a blind up in my lounge realising it's not working'oh no' - thinking I've fixed it then realising it's definitely broken 'oh no' palace conceding 'oh no' x 4

Thatch 18-01-2021 07:10 AM

Yeah agree - it is nowhere near as annoying.....

Thatch 18-01-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15598513)
How do you feel about Canadians ending every sentence with "Eh"?

I find it somewhat annoying, but at the same time somewhat endearing. Only a Canadian can pull it off, it sounds so wrong when anyone else tries it.

Yeah agree nowhere near as annoying....

Pidster 18-01-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15598513)
How do you feel about Canadians ending every sentence with "Eh"?

I find it somewhat annoying, but at the same time somewhat endearing. Only a Canadian can pull it off, it sounds so wrong when anyone else tries it.


I've found it quite common amongst Kiwis.

Bintang 18-01-2021 10:09 AM

The BBS crashing every time there's a match on. Last night I tried to log on one hour before kick-off and couldn't. It's bloody annoying. :veryangry

Isle of Wight 18-01-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardarian (Post 15600524)
Do you ever have a day where you feel like youíve frequently been saying Ďoh no!í Well thatís pretty much my weekend!! I mustíve said those words to myself about 100times various things and events gone wrong! Itís annoying!

OH no the car battery is flat OH no the key to the bonnet is in the car and I cant open the door, Oh no the garage is shut, oh no the bike battery is also flat ( bat maintainer lead had got knocked) , Oh no the jump battery is fking also flat. And so my Saturday went on and on and on. So yes I will join you in that annoyance :p

Nigel_Scarfer 18-01-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15598513)
How do you feel about Canadians ending every sentence with "Eh"?

I find it somewhat annoying, but at the same time somewhat endearing. Only a Canadian can pull it off, it sounds so wrong when anyone else tries it.

The New Zealanders do it as well, but then add a "bro" at the end for good measure.

I.e. That Jacinda is a good looking chick, eh bro.

You can never be sure if they are asking you a question, asking you to confirm their opinions or stating a fact.

Richard 18-01-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 15601038)
The BBS crashing every time there's a match on. Last night I tried to log on one hour before kick-off and couldn't. It's bloody annoying. :veryangry

I assume that it has a bile overload valve.

CT_Palace 18-01-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel_Scarfer (Post 15601085)
The New Zealanders do it as well, but then add a "bro" at the end for good measure.

I.e. That Jacinda is a good looking chick, eh bro.

You can never be sure if they are asking you a question, asking you to confirm their opinions or stating a fact.

Aussies and English speaking Sarf Africans do it to a degree too.

It's clearly a colonial thing.

weltklasse 18-01-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 15601038)
The BBS crashing every time there's a match on. Last night I tried to log on one hour before kick-off and couldn't. It's bloody annoying. :veryangry

The BBS was trying to help you not feel the pain...

macstar 18-01-2021 02:42 PM

I watch the telly box alot and Sky's constant overuse of Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' in their adverts is getting on my wick.

Talk about kill a good tune. Has become highly annoying now.

west country boy 18-01-2021 02:54 PM

That c~nt off Grand Designs.

stamford triumph 18-01-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 15601349)
I watch the telly box alot and Sky's constant overuse of Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' in their adverts is getting on my wick.

Talk about kill a good tune. Has become highly annoying now.

Nearly as annoying as that Compare the Market advert which is used in every break - you would have thought those meerkat things would have been binned a few years ago.

macstar 18-01-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 15601371)
Nearly as annoying as that Compare the Market advert which is used in every break - you would have thought those meerkat things would have been binned a few years ago.

Yes very tiresome. Some people still find them funny. How i.dont know. On a similar note, there is a money supermarket one at the moment with a cow in it. Awful.

stamford triumph 18-01-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 15601914)
Yes very tiresome. Some people still find them funny. How i.dont know. On a similar note, there is a money supermarket one at the moment with a cow in it. Awful.

Mind you, the Go Compare one with the needy singer trying to prove he is an actual singer with a clip of him actually singing is really cringe inducing. What is it with these price comparison sites?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.