CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

RazorsEdge 09-09-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15996804)

I MISS SELHURST CELTIC

^

Annoying init :)

biggus mickus 10-09-2021 03:16 AM

Bastard foxes.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 10-09-2021 04:54 AM

Is that the animal or the acting family ?

biggus mickus 10-09-2021 05:13 AM

Lol. Now you say it, maybe both.

RazorsEdge 10-09-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus mickus (Post 15997151)
Bastard foxes.

Is it the mating season so to speak?

biggus mickus 10-09-2021 10:17 AM

Not that I know. All year seems to me.

stumpy feelers 10-09-2021 10:30 AM

Palace

Fen Eagle 10-09-2021 10:57 AM

This the most lazy shit piece of journalism in history ?
Palace’s by far best performance of the Premier League season so far came against high-flying West Ham last time out, as they eked out a 2-2 stalemate at the London Stadium.

However, that doesn’t change the fact the Eagles have amassed fewer overall shots (20) and fewer attempts on target (5) than any other Premier League side this season.

After going winless in their last 11 London derbies in the Premier League (D6, L5), the hosts look like a doomed outfit, which could pile more pressure on Vieira.

If he ends up on the losing side here and subsequently receives marching orders, the Frenchman will replicate Frank de Boer’s unwanted milestone of being sacked after just four matches in charge of Palace.

CT_Palace 10-09-2021 12:40 PM

More lazy journalism:

Articles that headline rising hospitalisations due to covid without saying anywhere in the article how many of those were fully vaccinated.

Its borders on dereliction of duty.

davech 10-09-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15997640)
More lazy journalism:

Articles that headline rising hospitalisations due to covid without saying anywhere in the article how many of those were fully vaccinated.

Its borders on dereliction of duty.

My mother is 89 and fully vaccinated since May. She has been in hospital twice in the last month with Long Covid, it seems, and a few little extras. She is home now but still feeling quite tired.

Hedgehog 10-09-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15997640)
More lazy journalism:

Articles that headline rising hospitalisations due to covid without saying anywhere in the article how many of those were fully vaccinated.

Its borders on dereliction of duty.

Agree, but it's not just journalist who don't report this. It is very hard to get these numbers without some real investigative searching.

It seems to me if the number really showed that a large percentage of those being hospitalized had not received the vaccine, then it would "encourage" people to get vaccinated.

Maybe the numbers are not favourable, so the reluctance to report them.

Sharkba1t 10-09-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15995930)
House two door down from us has just sold and today there was an Aston Martin DB11 parked outside. Apparently it belongs to the Estate Agent handling the sale.

Talk about taking the piss...

If its a typical estate agent, the car is hired and the Billy Bullshitting agent owns fk all.

Hedgehog 10-09-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15997980)
If its a typical estate agent, the car is hired and the Billy Bullshitting agent owns fk all.

The guy looked about 21 also...

Reps AJ 10-09-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15997966)
Agree, but it's not just journalist who don't report this. It is very hard to get these numbers without some real investigative searching.

It seems to me if the number really showed that a large percentage of those being hospitalized had not received the vaccine, then it would "encourage" people to get vaccinated.

Maybe the numbers are not favourable, so the reluctance to report them.

For the UK

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-3CpnLWUA0qC9Q.png

minch1 10-09-2021 06:55 PM

The CPFC Season 21/22 ticket roll out which has turned into a shambles for a lot of people. Also the fact that a post entitled "Palace v Spurs Season ticket access" on which I wrote my experiences and frustration with the mismanagement thereof has been "moved" ? from the "General Palace Discussions" page, almost like a censorship. Where has it been moved to? Who has moved it and why?

CT_Palace 10-09-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15997966)
Agree, but it's not just journalist who don't report this. It is very hard to get these numbers without some real investigative searching.

It seems to me if the number really showed that a large percentage of those being hospitalized had not received the vaccine, then it would "encourage" people to get vaccinated.

Maybe the numbers are not favourable, so the reluctance to report them.

Exactly!!!

GorBlimey 10-09-2021 07:09 PM

British f*cking Airways!

Try contacting them to change a reservation that you can't change online.

Over half an hour in a queue and then they cut you off!!

Premium number too!!!

CT_Palace 10-09-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15998058)

that all adds up to over 100% :confused:


Look: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...th-covid-in-uk

How flippin difficult is it to report "8000 hospitalizations for covid of which 80% unvaccinated" for example?

Oldtown Eagle 10-09-2021 07:23 PM

I MISS SELHURST CELTIC.

Yes, I miss his posts as well. Is he ok or has he got the hump?

RobertCPFC 10-09-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minch1 (Post 15998093)
The CPFC Season 21/22 ticket roll out which has turned into a shambles for a lot of people. Also the fact that a post entitled "Palace v Spurs Season ticket access" on which I wrote my experiences and frustration with the mismanagement thereof has been "moved" ? from the "General Palace Discussions" page, almost like a censorship. Where has it been moved to? Who has moved it and why?

It should be in the ticket section. I think I did see a post from you.

Hedgehog 10-09-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15998108)
that all adds up to over 100% :confused:


Look: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...th-covid-in-uk

How flippin difficult is it to report "8000 hospitalizations for covid of which 80% unvaccinated" for example?

I was thinking the same.

Percentages of percentages always does my head in.

For round numbers sake, lets say looking at the 80+ group. 35% unvaccinated and 15% vaccinated. That gives you 50%... are the other 50% in hospital for other reasons, or is this chart "just" for COVID patients?

Reps AJ 10-09-2021 07:52 PM

I believe the numbers were all taken for the latest Public Health England report. A competent journalist should be able to work this stuff out

CT_Palace 10-09-2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15998145)
I was thinking the same.

Percentages of percentages always does my head in.

For round numbers sake, lets say looking at the 80+ group. 35% unvaccinated and 15% vaccinated. That gives you 50%... are the other 50% in hospital for other reasons, or is this chart "just" for COVID patients?

It’s as clear as mud. Much like the headlines.

Hedgehog 10-09-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15998227)
It’s as clear as mud. Much like the headlines.

I don't know about 'Death by COVID" but I've heard of "Death by PowerPoint"...

Maidstoned Eagle 11-09-2021 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 15997540)
This the most lazy shit piece of journalism in history ?
Palace’s by far best performance of the Premier League season so far came against high-flying West Ham last time out, as they eked out a 2-2 stalemate at the London Stadium.

However, that doesn’t change the fact the Eagles have amassed fewer overall shots (20) and fewer attempts on target (5) than any other Premier League side this season.

After going winless in their last 11 London derbies in the Premier League (D6, L5), the hosts look like a doomed outfit, which could pile more pressure on Vieira.

If he ends up on the losing side here and subsequently receives marching orders, the Frenchman will replicate Frank de Boer’s unwanted milestone of being sacked after just four matches in charge of Palace.

Was that in the S*n?

Maidstoned Eagle 11-09-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15998125)
I MISS SELHURST CELTIC.

Yes, I miss his posts as well. Is he ok or has he got the hump?

He's busy being Trolley this month.

JJ 11-09-2021 09:06 AM

Optus Sport has set up a whole channel dedicated just to Ronaldo.

Brett 11-09-2021 11:41 AM

Fans based in North America mansplaining the mobile ticketing system.

Not sure they realise what they experience is vastly different/superior to the shit show on offer at Selhurst Park.

Johnintheusa1 11-09-2021 12:07 PM

you ok hun?

Hedgehog 11-09-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 15998693)
Fans based in North America mansplaining the mobile ticketing system.

Not sure they realise what they experience is vastly different/superior to the shit show on offer at Selhurst Park.

Is that aimed at me? :confused:

Brett 11-09-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16000082)
Is that aimed at me? :confused:

No, Robert.

Hedgehog 11-09-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 16000090)
No, Robert.

OK... good.

I had made a few comments regarding the ticketing at Selhurst based on my working at a golf tournament that had QR codes on phones and email printouts plus hard tickets, and what a pain it was. I was concerned my input had rubbed wrong.

I hope you got in to the game one way or another. I enjoyed it immensely sitting on my coach, and made the getting up at 4:15am worth it for a change!

Brett 11-09-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16000110)
OK... good.

I had made a few comments regarding the ticketing at Selhurst based on my working at a golf tournament that had QR codes on phones and email printouts plus hard tickets, and what a pain it was. I was concerned my input had rubbed wrong.

I hope you got in to the game one way or another. I enjoyed it immensely sitting on my coach, and made the getting up at 4:15am worth it for a change!

There were a couple of bell pieces elsewhere doing a full mansplain.

It actually works quite well where they have installed the genuine North American-style gates but they are enforcing it everywhere, even if it’s not supported.

Glad the early morning was worth it. We weren’t much later than you getting up with the ticket and travel chaos!

beef 11-09-2021 09:40 PM

The commentators for today's game referring to Edouard and Vieira as the French Revolution. How on earth are they in any way similar? Football is just a game ffs

Prince Phillip 11-09-2021 10:21 PM

All this legalised begging at matches on pieces of cardboard.
“Please can I have some dignity….?”

WLYWLYAWYPWF 12-09-2021 12:28 AM

The trend of conducting post match interviews on the pitch meaning it's impossible for the players or viewers to hear anything. Clever shit that because everyone hated the peaceful interviews conducted inside where you could hear exactly what was said.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 12-09-2021 12:50 AM

Me not being able to add nine hours to 12.30 for the kick off and wondering what had happened to the game and getting the wankfest from up North. Luckily Optus allows me to go back and watch the game from the start , so was an hour later than the rest of the World watching the game "live"

GorBlimey 12-09-2021 02:37 AM

The Ronaldo media wankfest.

If the wankers weren't wankers enough they have something else to wank over.

Wankers!

KYLIE MINEAGLE 12-09-2021 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16000650)
The Ronaldo media wankfest.

If the wankers weren't wankers enough they have something else to wank over.

Wankers!

Goes without saying.

Johnnieboy 12-09-2021 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 16000367)
The commentators for today's game referring to Edouard and Vieira as the French Revolution. How on earth are they in any way similar? Football is just a game ffs

The media at the ground are only being fed cake these days

Hedgehog 12-09-2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16000616)
Me not being able to add nine hours to 12.30 for the kick off and wondering what had happened to the game and getting the wankfest from up North. Luckily Optus allows me to go back and watch the game from the start , so was an hour later than the rest of the World watching the game "live"

I had set the alarm on my phone for 4am. When I went to bed last night I put the phone on the charger in the bathroom.

Normally when I do this my wife (who goes to bed later than me) usually unplugs it and puts it on my bedside table.

For some reason this time she left it in the bathroom...

Thank God I woke up of my own accord at 4:15am, just in time to get some tea and a piece of toast before the game.

Moral of the story... never depend on your wife to do the right thing!

BlazeRIP 12-09-2021 01:25 PM

Dicks that have to stand on their seat during a penalty take when they already have a perfect view of the goal .Inconsiderate tossers

RazorsEdge 12-09-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16000686)
I had set the alarm on my phone for 4am. When I went to bed last night I put the phone on the charger in the bathroom.

Normally when I do this my wife (who goes to bed later than me) usually unplugs it and puts it on my bedside table.

For some reason this time she left it in the bathroom...

Thank God I woke up of my own accord at 4:15am, just in time to get some tea and a piece of toast before the game.

Moral of the story... never depend on your wife to do the right thing!

Hope Mrs Hedgehog don’t read this :)

Adlerhorst 12-09-2021 05:50 PM

Turns out I lip read without realising

Up in the north west and I cannot understand the locals when they are speaking scouse, and I always could before. The only difference is the masks.

Hedgehog 12-09-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16001223)
Turns out I lip read without realising

Up in the north west and I cannot understand the locals when they are speaking scouse, and I always could before. The only difference is the masks.

Funny you say that, I was thinking the exact same the other day.

We were out to lunch and the waiter had a mask on and I had to get him to repeat everything he asked me. I think basically you know what the question is, but lip reading helps confirm it - with the mask taking that confirmation away you are relying on voice only (with may also be muffled due to mask).

And I had my hearing aids in!

Pat of the Palace 12-09-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 16000656)
The media at the ground are only being fed cake these days

:lux:

Paulinmorden 12-09-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16001236)
Funny you say that, I was thinking the exact same the other day.

We were out to lunch and the waiter had a mask on and I had to get him to repeat everything he asked me. I think basically you know what the question is, but lip reading helps confirm it - with the mask taking that confirmation away you are relying on voice only (with may also be muffled due to mask).

And I had my hearing aids in!

Remember being told years ago by a teacher that they could hear better with their glasses on. The explanation was this. With glasses on they could see the other person's lips moving which helped with the understanding of what was being said.

CT_Palace 12-09-2021 06:33 PM

ESPN for not transmitting in dual language.

mrB 12-09-2021 06:34 PM

Footballers with their first names on the back of their shirts.

congress 12-09-2021 06:38 PM

Joggers in the early morning who thinks it is okay to jog on suburban roads when there is a path next to them and then give you hand gestures when you shout at them to get out of the road because you cant see them as they have no lights on them.

If i run them down of course it would be my fault.

Panther 12-09-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16001223)
Turns out I lip read without realising

Up in the north west and I cannot understand the locals when they are speaking scouse, and I always could before. The only difference is the masks.

Mask or no mask, I still can’t understand John Bishop.

Hedgehog 13-09-2021 01:32 AM

Not sure it is an annoyance, but for want of elsewhere to post this...

I wish there was a way to reply, rebut, or comment (like quoting on this site) peoples reviews on Trip Advisor.

I would love to take some of these people to task for their overly good or overly bad reviews... some are so obvious in their ulterior motive, good or bad.

the digger 13-09-2021 02:30 AM

Garth Crooks’ opinion that we wouldn’t have beaten Spurs without the sending off.

beef 13-09-2021 03:34 AM

People planning a wedding abroad and still expecting you to attend (at your own expense). Either pay for it or don’t be an arse if people say no.

big bad John 13-09-2021 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 16001653)
People planning a wedding abroad and still expecting you to attend (at your own expense). Either pay for it or don’t be an arse if people say no.

People wanting to have their stag does in Vegas, Barcelona or feckin Latvia. What happened to a good old local pub crawl, a bit of a ruck and a few cheap hookers whose numbers were taken from a unsuspecting shop owner's window advertisement.

RazorsEdge 13-09-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the digger (Post 16001643)
Garth Crooks’ opinion that we wouldn’t have beaten Spurs without the sending off.

Do you reckon he is biased? He forgot to mention, Spurs didn’t turn up

Herr Colonpharter 13-09-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the digger (Post 16001643)
Garth Crooks’ opinion that we wouldn’t have beaten Spurs without the sending off.

Guy is so past the sell by date it's beyond laughable.

Can only assume once jug ears has been paid there's very little left in the salary budget.

davech 13-09-2021 11:16 AM

Paddy McGuinness now ruining Question Of Sport. How does the talentless twonk get so much work?

Fen Eagle 13-09-2021 11:45 AM

Err I don’t think his calibrations with Peter Kay are twonk my friend try watching Max and Paddy flower

Fen Eagle 13-09-2021 11:46 AM

And you were 47 when it first aired so you would of got it.

davech 13-09-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 16001975)
Err I don’t think his calibrations with Peter Kay are twonk my friend try watching Max and Paddy flower

That was good. Its been all downhill since then.

Peter Kay was (and still is) the one with the talent.

west country boy 13-09-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 16001975)
Err I don’t think his calibrations with Peter Kay are twonk my friend try watching Max and Paddy flower

Drunk already, Crybin? Also, Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere was not very good at all.

Richard 13-09-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16000110)
I hope you got in to the game one way or another. I enjoyed it immensely sitting on my coach, and made the getting up at 4:15am worth it for a change!

What did he (or she) make of this part of their duty ?

in-exile 13-09-2021 02:24 PM

People who don't know the highway code and understand zip merging !

Isle of Wight 13-09-2021 02:29 PM

Drivers on the Isle of Wight. Tourists or locals it’s a nightmare. Tourists will stop for no reason to “look at that” locals will stop for no reason as they are petrified about round abouts or traffic lights. No one seems to know what indicators are for. I rode to Ryde and back yesterday and by the time I got home was an adrenaline pumped Mr Angry spitting abuse. My Mrs even said “I don’t know why you say you enjoy the bike when you come home like that” . She may be right

Stellavista 13-09-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 16002135)
Drivers on the Isle of Wight. Tourists or locals it’s a nightmare. Tourists will stop for no reason to “look at that” locals will stop for no reason as they are petrified about round abouts or traffic lights. No one seems to know what indicators are for. I rode to Ryde and back yesterday and by the time I got home was an adrenaline pumped Mr Angry spitting abuse. My Mrs even said “I don’t know why you say you enjoy the bike when you come home like that” . She may be right

It's definitely got much worse there over the last year. The sooner they all **** off back to the Spanish resorts, the better. Some absolute scumbags. And you've got the IOW Festival this week. :)

RazorsEdge 13-09-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in-exile (Post 16002132)
People who don't know the highway code and understand zip merging !

Don’t understand zip merging you mean :)

Isle of Wight 13-09-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16002145)
It's definitely got much worse there over the last year. The sooner they all **** off back to the Spanish resorts, the better. Some absolute scumbags. And you've got the IOW Festival this week. :)

Honestly it is amazing. We have always had shit drivers here but it seems to have gone up a level. The other thing is the size of the fking things they are driving means if they meet each other they have to stop and let one or the other pass or simply stop and stare at each other. I can’t even filter any more they are so fat

in-exile 13-09-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16002198)
Don’t understand zip merging you mean :)

Its lack of highway code knowledge that makes them not understand zip merging but the chicken or the egg will do! ;)

pallet 13-09-2021 04:47 PM

Micro banks. What is the point, a bank with a cash point, a deposit machine that cant take anything but cash and struggles with cheques and a member of staff standing around being bloody useless.

Hedgehog 13-09-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 16002027)
What did he (or she) make of this part of their duty ?

Doh!

I really must improve my proofreading of my posts before hitting submit.

west country boy 13-09-2021 05:06 PM

I dunno what micro banks or zip merging are so they don't annoy me.

Maidstoned Eagle 13-09-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16002026)
Drunk already, Crybin? Also, Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere was not very good at all.

That's being very kind, even by your standards

Isle of Wight 13-09-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16002274)
I dunno what micro banks or zip merging are so they don't annoy me.

Micro banks are banks for little people and Zip merging is a new form of foreplay between consenting adults

Fen Eagle 13-09-2021 05:32 PM

Do you really believe your pathetic attempts to wind me up will work ?. I’m as happy as can be and tea total that’s me. I only wish someone would give me the meaning of the word Crybin ?

in-exile 13-09-2021 05:50 PM

Pop out car door handles..

cappuccinoeagle 13-09-2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16001941)
Paddy McGuinness now ruining Question Of Sport. How does the talentless twonk get so much work?

Yes, McGuinness is annoying but QOS should have been binned years ago

GorBlimey 13-09-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 16002415)
Yes, McGuinness is annoying but QOS should have been binned years ago

Agreed, but they only bring the f*ckers back a few years later; Never Mind the Buzzcocks ffs!

Should have gone the way of Old Yellow!

N Herts Eagle 13-09-2021 08:24 PM

Maths problems on Facebook.....all the effort at school learning how to deal with them. Never used it in real life and then 60 years latter have to remember how to...then find out they dont ever give the answer....

Hedgehog 13-09-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 16002575)
Maths problems on Facebook.....all the effort at school learning how to deal with them. Never used it in real life and then 60 years latter have to remember how to...then find out they dont ever give the answer....

The lack of the correct answer is very frustrating and make the whole thing pointless.

I saw one the other day about solving 5 x 3 by addition. Apparently some kid had written on a test at school 5+5+5=15. The teacher marked it as wrong as it should have been 3+3+3+3+3=15.

Lots of heated arguments the BBS would have been proud of. It's not something I learnt at school as far as I recall, but apparently convention is the latter and the teacher was right.

At the end of the day, 5 x 3 = 15 and that's all I care about at this stage of the game.

Maz 13-09-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16002597)
The lack of the correct answer is very frustrating and make the whole thing pointless.

I saw one the other day about solving 5 x 3 by addition. Apparently some kid had written on a test at school 5+5+5=15. The teacher marked it as wrong as it should have been 3+3+3+3+3=15.

Lots of heated arguments the BBS would have been proud of. It's not something I learnt at school as far as I recall, but apparently convention is the latter and the teacher was right.

At the end of the day, 5 x 3 = 15 and that's all I care about at this stage of the game.

The question was what are five threes, not what are three fives. The kid should have been shot.

Hedgehog 13-09-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16002606)
The question was what are five threes, not what are three fives. The kid should have been shot.

Is this some sort of "New maths"? It seems such a non-question.

I appreciate the order of components of an equation have significance in Algebra (PEMDAS and all that), but this is a simple multiplication. What value is there in the question posed?

I say this as someone who, without being a rocket scientist, did pretty well in maths at school. I usually came in the top 3 of our year every year at senior school, although to be fair the bar was set pretty low being a secondary school for boys.

RazorsEdge 13-09-2021 09:15 PM

.

GorBlimey 13-09-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16002606)
The question was what are five threes, not what are three fives. The kid should have been shot.


The answer would be the same either way round so unless being pedantic is part of the question then that's bollocks.

CT_Palace 13-09-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16002606)
The question was what are five threes, not what are three fives. The kid should have been shot.

A mention of Totalitarianism earlier and now you're shooting kids.

You are Joseph Stalin and I claim my £5

KYLIE MINEAGLE 14-09-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16002145)
It's definitely got much worse there over the last year. The sooner they all **** off back to the Spanish resorts, the better. Some absolute scumbags. And you've got the IOW Festival this week. :)

Hendrixs playing this year ?

beef 14-09-2021 07:20 AM

English people who finish sentences with ‘is all’. It’s probably fine if you’re from Mississippi but sounds ******* stupid otherwise

Jordan's Jacket 14-09-2021 07:29 AM

On the subject of language I find it particularly irksome that people are increasingly using Australian intonation when speaking. Why do people feel the need to heighten the pitch of their voices at the end of sentences, particularly when giving presentations......bizarre

Maidstoned Eagle 14-09-2021 07:32 AM

I blame the neighbours.

Maz 14-09-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16002663)
The answer would be the same either way round so unless being pedantic is part of the question then that's bollocks.

In science, as in life, understanding the question is often as important as understanding the answer.

the digger 14-09-2021 08:21 AM

Agreeing with Maz.

Isle of Wight 14-09-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16002831)
Hendrixs playing this year ?

No but they are thawing out Simon leBon for an appearance.

Fatboy 14-09-2021 09:46 AM

Teacher is right. It is 5x something or 5 lots of something.

Derek 17 14-09-2021 10:29 AM

I’ve looked at this three ways, all of which make the teacher ‘wrong’.

First, let’s think about the next step up from multiplication, indices.

5^3 = 5 x 5 x 5 = 125

5^3 /= (is not equal to) 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3, nor is there any way to express things in terms of threes to get to the answer of 125.

Second, let’s say what if the question was -5 x 3 rather than 5 x 3.

Three lots of -5 are -15. Again, the answer can’t be reached in terms of the number three because we can’t have -5 lots of something.

Thirdly, and perhaps most precisely, mathematical procedures should be thought of in terms of functions.

f(x) = y

Here, the first number we are given, 5, is x. The answer, y, is 15. The function is multiplying by 3. I.e. 5 + 5 + 5.

GTR 14-09-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek 17 (Post 16003074)
I’ve looked at this three ways, all of which make the teacher ‘wrong’.

First, let’s think about the next step up from multiplication, indices.

5^3 = 5 x 5 x 5 = 125

5^3 /= (is not equal to) 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3, nor is there any way to express things in terms of threes to get to the answer of 125.

Second, let’s say what if the question was -5 x 3 rather than 5 x 3.

Three lots of -5 are -15. Again, the answer can’t be reached in terms of the number three because we can’t have -5 lots of something.

Thirdly, and perhaps most precisely, mathematical procedures should be thought of in terms of functions.

f(x) = y

Here, the first number we are given, 5, is x. The answer, y, is 15. The function is multiplying by 3. I.e. 5 + 5 + 5.

While I don't think the initial question is worth a lot of our time I wouldn't see that any of these arguments are really valid though I do agree that mathematical procedures should be thought of as functions.

In that sense what we have is a function of two variables f(x1, x2) = y. The two numbers we are given are 5 and 3 and the teacher would say that 'the function' is performed by adding x2 to itself x1 times. The function could be defined differently but that is not what the teacher has specified.

You suggest that -5 x 3 isn't valid because you can't have -5 lots of anything but if you think -5 x 3 = (-5) + (-5) + (-5) how would you calculate 5 x -3? The only way round this is to have -x1 x x2 = -(x1 x x2) which solves the issue whichever way round it is.

Fundamentally, this is an intermediate step for young people to familiarise them with the connection between addition and multiplication and in that context the teacher's version is 'more right' than the alternative. It isn't meant to be something to be used once the multiplication operation becomes second nature.

Derek 17 14-09-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR (Post 16003443)
While I don't think the initial question is worth a lot of our time I wouldn't see that any of these arguments are really valid though I do agree that mathematical procedures should be thought of as functions.

In that sense what we have is a function of two variables f(x1, x2) = y. The two numbers we are given are 5 and 3 and the teacher would say that 'the function' is performed by adding x2 to itself x1 times. The function could be defined differently but that is not what the teacher has specified.

You suggest that -5 x 3 isn't valid because you can't have -5 lots of anything but if you think -5 x 3 = (-5) + (-5) + (-5) how would you calculate 5 x -3? The only way round this is to have -x1 x x2 = -(x1 x x2) which solves the issue whichever way round it is.

Fundamentally, this is an intermediate step for young people to familiarise them with the connection between addition and multiplication and in that context the teacher's version is 'more right' than the alternative. It isn't meant to be something to be used once the multiplication operation becomes second nature.


I agree that what we’re having are largely pointless semantic arguments that are not at a level that is useful to whatever age this is being taught at.

However, what I think is wrong in all of this, is to expressly tell a student that they are wrong to say that 5 x 3 = 5 + 5 + 5.

5 x 3 = 3 x 5 = 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 5 + 5 + 5

They’re being taught that this isn’t the case. Because someone, somewhere, writing a syllabus has thought that they’re very clever, when they’re not. And that will cause far more confusion for the student down the line.

It’s one thing to teach hard rules in a subject like English, where you later learn that rules are in fact very flexible and are there to be broken. Or to teach a rule in e.g. chemistry, and later say that that isn’t really true, it was just a useful model. But in the case here, a rule that is completely false is explicitly being taught, for no obvious benefit.

But getting back to semantics … I think it partly comes down to how you verbalise the expression. Some people would say 5 x 3 is ‘five lots of three’ (i.e. 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3). This, as we’ve already established, is true. However, I think it’s more correct to say 5 x 3 as ‘five multiplied by three’, in which case I would think of this as 5 + 5 + 5.

GTR 14-09-2021 12:57 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about the marking it wrong - it does depend what precisely the child was asked to do. The exercise has a point if it is about defining multiplication as repeated addition, practising that and using the examples to observe that the operation is commutative (so that a x b = b x a). It is in part because we have absorbed this important developmental step in number fluency so completely that we struggle to see what the exercise is aiming to do.

It may also just be that the teacher doesn't know what they are doing but before coming to that conclusion I would want to see the context a bit more.

Fen Eagle 14-09-2021 01:42 PM

The complete morons on the BBS that are happy to form a pack and find it amusing to bully for no reason. Even worse the sheep that follow. Obviously something is missing or is it just a pathetic sense of inadequacy. I can honestly say it doesn’t get to me I’m strong enough to really not care. If however the big and brave on here look at especially men’s mental health issues, perhaps they might think twice about the damage they could cause someone, who has never attacked or been abusive but are depressed and just want to be part of something.. Imagine the damage your satire and whit and attempts to be intellectually astute can do. If you were truly as intelligent as you would like people to believe you wouldn’t post on a football site.

Maz 14-09-2021 01:43 PM

Other sites are available.

Maidstoned Eagle 14-09-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 16003610)
The complete morons on the BBS that are happy to form a pack and find it amusing to bully for no reason. Even worse the sheep that follow. Obviously something is missing or is it just a pathetic sense of inadequacy. I can honestly say it doesn’t get to me I’m strong enough to really not care. If however the big and brave on here look at especially men’s mental health issues, perhaps they might think twice about the damage they could cause someone, who has never attacked or been abusive but are depressed and just want to be part of something.. Imagine the damage your satire and whit and attempts to be intellectually astute can do. If you were truly as intelligent as you would like people to believe you wouldn’t post on a football site.

You'll be missed. :hi:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.