CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 25-04-2009 05:21 PM

Tell me about it.

I'll be up until 3/4 in the morning waiting for pick #58 for the 4th Pats pick.

If there wasn't a load of stuff going on during the draft on the website i'll be on then i'd be asleep.

Finally got around to using my Twitter, I have seen so much information from people ranging from Rich Eisen, PFT, the Patriots site, my insider guy from the Pats and many others.

Eisen says the Skins have been in contact with the Rams about Sanchez.

And PFT says that should the Rams take Sanchez, the Jets want Bulger.

Strathclyde Eagle 25-04-2009 06:25 PM

I normally don't sympathise with people with money too much, but imagine being Matthew Stafford, suddenly being set for life in a city where the team is terrible and the city is having an horrendous time. You'd better keep your head down and be good, fast.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 25-04-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I normally don't sympathise with people with money too much, but imagine being Matthew Stafford, suddenly being set for life in a city where the team is terrible and the city is having an horrendous time. You'd better keep your head down and be good, fast.

That's not all - apparently the jury is out on him with a lot of Lions fans who think they have wasted their pick. I guess it's the same for a lot of rookie QB's.

From what I've seen of him on the news though he seems quite level headed and is just focussed on showing the fans what he can do. Good luck to him - I guess he can't lead them to a worse record!

pauldrulez 25-04-2009 08:18 PM

Here is my final mock draft.

Posted it elsewhere(the comments are aimed at Patriot fans), but wanted to put it here so you can all see it. In quote tags so you can view it properly. If anyone spots an obvious player missing, then tell me and i'll change it

Quote:

Right, I have no trades in this, so in all likeliness, it will be wrong. And I forgot to enter the PFW one

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford (I wonder if this is right)
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith
3. KC - Tyson Jackson
4. Seattle - Mark Sanchez
5. Cleveland - Aaron Curry
6. Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe
7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin
8. Jacksonville - Michael Crabtree
9. Green Bay - Brian Orakpo
10. San Fran - Andre Smith
11. Buffalo - Michael Oher
12. Denver - B.J. Raji
13. Washington - Robert Ayers
14. New Orleans - Michael Jenkins
15. Houston - Vontae Davis (originally Clay Matthews)
16. San Diego - Rey Maualuga
17. New York Jets - Percy Harvin
18. Denver - Brian Cushing
19. Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman
20. Detroit - Aaron Maybin
21. Philadelphia - Knowshon Moreno
22. Minnesota - Eben Britton
23. New England - Everette Brown
24. Atlanta - Peria Jerry
25. Miami - Larry English
26. Baltimore - Darrius Heyward-Bey
27. Indianapolis - James Laurinaitis
28. Buffalo - Clay Matthews
29. New York Giants - Hakeem Nicks
30. Tennessee Titans - Darius Butler
31. Arizona Cardinals - Chris "Beanie" Wells
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - William Beatty

Lots of random positions here. Didn't look at any other mocks so there are probably some good players available.

For what its worth, I see Matthews at #15, but had to move him to fit Vontae Davis in as I missed him out.

Brown, Barwin, Alphonso Smith and others are still available

BLUE BOY 25-04-2009 11:40 PM

Very disapointed the Seahawks passed on Crabtree.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 26-04-2009 12:25 AM

Maclin at 19 wooohooo! :lux:

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 12:37 AM

The Raiders take a WR at 7 and don't take either Crabtree or Maclin. And people wonder why they stink every year.

Sanchez to the Jets. Wonderful. :D

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 12:37 AM

P.S. Good picks for the Broncos and Redskins at 12/13.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 12:48 AM

McDaniels and that idiot Mangini have made the worst picks of this draft. A center at 21?

Al Davis is a senile out bat.

Here comes the Dolphins. Who take Vontae Davis.

Why cant the Pats take Maualuga or Brown who I wanted us to trade up to 9 to get. He is sitting here Bill, take him.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 12:48 AM

Vontae Davis, meant to be pretty good supposedly. Happy with that at 25.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 01:02 AM

Pats have 4 2nds and 4 3rds.

JUST PICK A ******* PLAYER.

Everette Brown and Rey Maualuga are sitting there, get one Belichick, a pass-rusher or a freak. One or the other

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-04-2009 01:39 AM

This is the first time I've seen this on TV. Very disappointed to hear people in the crowd booing these young players before they've even touched the ball for their new team.

I realise some of this is because of inter-club rivalry, but the reaction of some of the players' own fans is pretty unpalatable. There was a classic shot of a disgusted Jets fan in the crowd when Sanchez's draft was announced.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 01:46 AM

I hate this.

Chung ahead of Brown or Maualuga.

Unless we have Jason Taylor or a Peppers deal in the bag. Sanchez, Pennington and Edwards are going to have all day in the pocket as Pierre Woods attempts to get to a QB.

Big-time down on this pick.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 02:23 AM

Well, we made one pick I like out of our first 3.

Darius Butler, CB. I wanted him at 23.

We draft Ron Brace before him. So, bye Vince Wilfork at the end of the year.

Everette Brown dropping like a stone however. But he's now been taken.

Tempted to stay up and wait for 58 and see if we draft someone who is worthwhile.

If we don't have Peppers or Taylor, I fear for this defense.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
I give up on making comments so i'll stick to predictions for the draft.

1. Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown or another pass-rusher becomes a Chief at #3 if they don't trade down. Aaron Curry is not a good enough rusher but is a consistent LB. :p

2. The 2 QBs go at #4 and #9 in the draft. That is where a second team trades up ahead of the Niners to get Sanchez (Jets or Broncos) :(

3. Pat White goes in the 2nd round to the Patriots. :confused:

4. Crabtree falls below Maclin. :(

5. 7 Offensive Linemen go in the first round. :confused:

6. A team in the NFC selects in the first round :)

7. The Patriots select at least one player in the first 7 rounds. ;)

8 A running back is selected in the first 250 players :)

9 I don't attend college on the Monday after the Draft. Not through tiredness, just because I can't be arsed. Bit like today. :)

Find the serious predictions.

Well, I called the Jackson pick on Weds. Apart from that :(

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 02:28 AM

Oh, Bollocks.

Congratulations to the Dolphins.

You got one hell of a player for the Wildcat.

You can now add him motioning in and out of the wildcat for the play.

Will be something nice to see

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 02:51 AM

Raiders rivalling the Patriots and Broncos for worst Drafting with better players around.

Dolphins took 2 players I wanted.

Panthers took Everette Brown.

The one player I was after (Barwin) has gone to the Texans but at least we got the one guy I liked (Butler).

Hedgehog 26-04-2009 02:57 AM

pauldrules.... who is this "we" you speak of?

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 26-04-2009 03:05 AM

LeSean McCoy !!!!!!!!!! RB we needed!:)

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 03:13 AM

McCoy wont last in the NFL.

We is the Patriots. Don't mess with me, i've been up going on 48 hours and i've just finished my last bottle of alcohol so now have to go 4 picks without any.

I'm tempted to walk down the street and blow someones head off unless we draft someone useful with this pick.

RDSdaEAGLE 26-04-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
pauldrules.... who is this "we" you speak of?

He's a Pat.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE
He's a Pissed and angry Pat.

EFA etc

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 03:23 AM

Great, a O Lineman. Just what we need.

The primary patriot need:
1) Pass Rush

Picks: Safety, D-Line backup, Corner and a OL.

Brilliant :rolleyes:

In Pioli we trust.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 26-04-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

McCoy wont last in the NFL.

We is the Patriots. Don't mess with me, i've been up going on 48 hours and i've just finished my last bottle of alcohol so now have to go 4 picks without any.

I'm tempted to walk down the street and blow someones head off unless we draft someone useful with this pick.

Not bitter are WE Paul? I'll crack open a bottle of suds for you! :p

PS whats your take on Maclin at 19? :)

davematt 26-04-2009 03:26 AM

Ooooh, just get in and seen that 1) Sanchez is a Jet; quite a ask to replace Favre and 2) Crabtree is a 49er. Er, only problem is, I doubt the Niners have a decent QB to throw to him.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
PS whats your take on Maclin at 19? :)

I'll say he's a good player. Got two good young playmakers out wide now between him and DeSean Jackson.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 09:50 AM

Just what you want from the overall no. 1, a total rating of 79 on Madden:
http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/eas...ttStafford.jpg
Quote:

Congratulations to the Dolphins.

You got one hell of a player for the Wildcat.

Interesting, I'd say Pat White went a bit early. Not sure he fills any of our bigger needs either. Still I think he's a good guy and has some good speed, so hopefully he'll become a very useful player for us. Time will tell on this one.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 11:04 AM

You pretty much had to take him that early to get him. A lot of teams were lining up after you to take him.

I have to be honest after a nights sleep.

If someone told me we wouldn't have a first round pick, I would have assumed that we had an extra first next year. We gained sod all out of moving down.

But saying that, a draft of
#23 - Butler, #34 - Brace, #47 - Chung and #58 - Vollmer would have disappointed me less. Its the order we took them that winds me up, especially with Maualuga and Brown available when we picked the first time.

Not bitter on LeSean, there is a reason he dropped from a first rounder before the combine. I like Maclin, not sure why they moved up as they had the Browns? and Lions around them, so unless they thought the Vikes/Giants/Titans were burning up the phone, it was a pretty odd trade.

Jets done well to get Sanchez, but I cant wait to see him in the cold winter, those short passes wont help him there. Especially with one receiver.

Chief Brody 26-04-2009 05:55 PM

Thank you to our friends from across the bay. Michael Crabtree, welcome to the Niners! :lux: :lux:

elliott 26-04-2009 07:26 PM

san diego just picked a DT who played college canadian football. interesting.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-04-2009 09:14 PM

Like the pick of Patrick Turner in the third round. Big guy, good red zone and over the middle target. Sounds ideal for Pennington.

elliott 26-04-2009 09:26 PM

have you seen what kiper said about him?

Latvian Eagle 26-04-2009 09:56 PM

I wish I could join in this conversation but seeing as we didn't even have a first round pick this year! :(

Looks like we're keeping Julius one more season at least though! :lux:

The guy Seattle picked up 4th pick looks like he could be useful! I'll be watching the Seahawks closely this season! They really let me down last year seeing as I tipped them for the Bowl! :(

elliott 26-04-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

If we don't have Peppers or Taylor, I fear for this defense.

Think you'll get either? I don't. Sounds like Peppers is staying put, and JT is quite obviously lining up in the aqua and white next year.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 26-04-2009 10:37 PM

The Eagles are going to FLY!!! I'm loving this draft!!!! :)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-04-2009 10:49 PM

There's still a chance that Peppers could be moving on if the Panthers want a 1st round pick for next year.

Funk Butter 26-04-2009 10:52 PM

I know nothing about Peria Jerry or any of the Falcons other picks for that matter. Saw Kevin Ellison went all the way in the middle of the 6th round to the Chargers. Wish the Falcons would have picked him. I'm always a fan of players that actually make plays, even if their combine numbers aren't the best.

pauldrulez 26-04-2009 10:52 PM

Patriots traded away Hobbs to gain some cap space, nearly $3m worth. Packed backfield already and we didn't need a kick returner/4th corner

elliott 26-04-2009 11:21 PM

the first long snappers gone.

round 6, to the pats

davematt 27-04-2009 01:11 AM

Has also been seeing and hearing alot about Chris Wells from Ohio State, and interesting to see him go to Arizona.

I am still astonished that Crabtree has come to the 49ers; With him at WR and Gore at RB, it gives the Niners some decent options in the offence, although again I fear the lack of decent QB.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 01:26 AM

As I said earlier, Bill Belichick appears to be a comedian with his draft picks.

I have had a thought (to go with my broken hand, those on m facebook will know what happened), we have drafted 3/4 Defensive Lineman. Vince Wilfork for Julius Peppers? Top 5 Nose Tackle for a Top 5 pass rusher except Peppers is converting positions.

Anyway, I have liked 2 picks out of the 700 the Patriots have made.

Darius Butler and the Wildcat guy in Round 7 (Julian Edelman). Apart from that, Brace, McKenzie and the Long Snapper fit needs, so does Chung but not a massive need. The other picks are D-Line and O-Line (IIRC) not interested there at all.

Well, i'm off to vomit. 3 broken knuckles makes you feel very sick and drain lots of water.

P.S First time i've seen ESPN (i'm a loser), I liked it but McShay and Kiper spent a round arguing about ONE PLAYER. Apart from that, NFL Network has been good, Eisen is hilarious on Twitter and they've been trying to trick the audio truck.

Some very good drafting and the Raiders.

This took 15 minutes with one hand. :(

Come on Mr. Irrelevant

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 01:41 AM

That's it for another 365 days as Pioli ends it with a kicker.

Time to start the big board.

Number 1. Taylor Mays, Safety, USC.

Good Luck to all 250+ players that enter the NFL. May they all have a safe, first year as the Patriots roll to 19-0 (joke, seriously, a joke), i'll attempt draft grades in between x-rays over the next couple of days.

Peace out.

Funk Butter 27-04-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Time to start the big board.

Number 1. Taylor Mays, Safety, USC.

I can guarantee you a safety will never go #1 overall. Even if Mays is the best player coming out next year.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 09:35 AM

That's more the player i want next year.

Here's a guarantee.

Number 1 - Sam Bradford

With the 32nd pick of the NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Tim Tebow. Belichick is in love with him. Even more than the press. With him and Meyer's relationship, it wouldn't surprise me.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 10:58 AM

Anyway, the Colts have taken an UDFA with possibly the best name in the history of the NFL.

Pat ****z - DT

nookiebear 27-04-2009 11:23 AM

I tihnk I have a tiny idea what Paul thinks about the Pats' choices ;)

But what about everyone else?

Mixed feelings about the Redskins

Brian Orakpo is obviously fantastic news. Albert Haynesworth, Orakpo and Andre Carter will be awesome next season

We drated CB Kevin Barnes of Maryland in the third. We need depth at CB so fine with that and he did this hit (see link) that made the Wide Receiver vomit :) I like hard hitting corners and safeties, he'll fit in well with Hall, Landry and Horton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i26DRXC37fs

Then it all got a bit weird. Got a Linebacker in the 5th who was expected to be an UDFA and who was a running back until last season

Then picked up a linebacker in the 6th and then a Tight End/Full Back and a wide receiver in the 7th with our two final picks

Big problem for me? We didn't get any O-line help. Astounded they didn't at least draft one right tackle. Assume the FO know something Skins fans don't because it seems a crazy decision right now

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 11:37 AM

I think Belichick had his head blown off on our choices. We have NO pass rush at all. 3rd and 20? Easy.

We have about 8 defensive linemen competing for 5 spots in the 53. So either Seymour/Green is cut/traded or we get a great deal for Wilfork. And god knows how many O-Linemen.

These players have been brought in as depth. Except for Butler, they wont start the first game.

Final rant over.

I like what the Jets did with their 2 picks. I like the Dolphins first day. I dislike my broken hand. Bills should have taken Orakpo ahead of Maybin.

I need to go through the rest of the teams when my draft tracker stops exploding.

jazman 27-04-2009 01:51 PM

Watched the 2 hour Draft programme on Sky Sports last night. Intrigued at all the razzamataz behind it all but not sure why that suprosed me as it is the States after all ... :)

Crabtree looked quite peed off by it all or was that the cameras making it look that way - wasn't too sure. By the 20th pick I was getting rather bored with it all considering the Cowboys weren't on the clock until way down the 2nd round, and they traded that one in the to the Bills I believe.

Still, 12 record matching picks with the Pats freshens up our team for next season and there is a QB in all that as well making things very interesting. Need to swat up on them though as I have no idea what any of them are like.

Big turn up the Jets getting in on the early action to grab Sanchez though ... making everyone at the place all very excited ... I think this one passed me by a little, my first foray into the NFL Draft ... maybe I will learn as time goes by.

jazman 27-04-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
This is the first time I've seen this on TV. Very disappointed to hear people in the crowd booing these young players before they've even touched the ball for their new team.

I realise some of this is because of inter-club rivalry, but the reaction of some of the players' own fans is pretty unpalatable. There was a classic shot of a disgusted Jets fan in the crowd when Sanchez's draft was announced.

I completely agree with your comments on this. I just did not get the treatment from the fans in any way.

Chief Brody 27-04-2009 01:58 PM

Well San Fran did OK for me, although we still have needs at QB, OT, NT, pass rushing OLB and safety.

Our wide receiver corps (which is already developing nicely - thank God), got an instant upgrade with Crabtree. That should add a further 300+ yards to Gore's numbers next season. Glen Coffee (RB), although a bit of a reach will hopefully take some of the hard yards off of Tank too.

Traded our 2nd and 4th picks for Carolina's 1st in 2010. With their harder schedule this year, that should prove beneficial. With these two 1st's, we could pick up a decent safety and NT or pass rusher next draft.

Picked up a Singletary type bluecollar ILB in McKillop and a posiible sleeper in Nate Davies at QB.

Bear Pascoe (blocking tight-end) was a need and we finished off with a safety and DT (neither of whom should make the final cut).

We are gradually improving but still have question marks at QB and need that pass rushing OLB and space eating NT. Depth at OT and a ball hawking safety and that's a decent team. It would have been a long time coming too!

Chief Brody 27-04-2009 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=jazman]
Crabtree looked quite peed off by it all or was that the cameras making it look that way - wasn't too sure. By the 20th pick I was getting rather bored with it all considering the Cowboys weren't on the clock until way down the 2nd round, and they traded that one in the to the Bills I believe.
QUOTE]

Not according to Neon Deion. Crabtree has come to the right place, that's for sure.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 02:09 PM

Funnily enough, I trust Bill from Boston rather than Paul from Pottyland. :p

Sh*t draft class, did the right thing trading around and saving some cash. Didn't we pick up 2 extra 2nds for 2010 for a draft class which could be 60 players deep in elite players?

Oh and McCoy > Bradford.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
I completely agree with your comments on this. I just did not get the treatment from the fans in any way.

Jets fans are c*nts, that's why. Was the same last year when half of them booed Gholston. They were proved correct though and lets hope Sanchez busts too :clown:

ardeo 27-04-2009 03:13 PM

Pretty pleased with the Eagles picks, looks like we will be putting our faith in Maclin along with Jackson as our mainline WRs. I like McCoy as cover for westbrook and apart from that we seem have got some decent back up. Only concern is a lack of cover in the OL.

Liked the fact at one stage we had 6 round 5 picks, until we traded two to the Pats for Hobbs!

Looks Like Sheldon Brown is on his way out, which would be a shame, in fact I think our D could be our main weakness this season.

Latvian Eagle 27-04-2009 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Chief Brody]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Not according to Neon Deion. Crabtree has come to the right place, that's for sure.

I was of the opinion Crabtree was a bit peeved too to be fair. He was expected to go top 5 and he ended up 10th was it? Not only does he get a lot less money, but other WR's went before him.

Saying that I'd rather go to San Fran than some of the other teams down there in the top 10!

Chief Brody 27-04-2009 04:29 PM

Yes, peeved as Darrius Heyward-Bey was taken as the first receiver over him. But seeing as the Raiders like quick, flash players with no substance, it was no great surprise. The Raiders wouldn't know a good player if he came up and poked them in the eye with a hot dog. And for that reason alone, all those in the foggy side of the bay should thank them humbly.

I don't believe he was peeved to be joining a team with great heritage and the ancestral home of the greatest wide receiver of all time.

nookiebear 27-04-2009 04:39 PM

It really does seem to be a poor draft class. Next year seems so much better.

Grumbling a bit about the Skins not drafting a Right tackle for the O-line, but think the below from scout.com sums it up. It's about the Skins drafting a CB in the third instead of O-Line

But for right now the Orakpo pick is, at worst, defensible.

It is the third-round pick of Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes that has some folks irate. A third-round pick generally isn't an instant starter but he could be and, certainly, one would expect that the 80th overall pick, a first-day selection under the old draft schedule, would be ready to start at some point in the next year or so.

So why not a tackle here? I don't have access to the Redskins' draft board but one would have to assume that Barnes was the higher-rated player and that no offensive tackle was close.

You can say that Vinny Cerrato and company and the rest of the gang in Ashburn wouldn't know a good prospect if he sat in their lap and called them mama (to quote the commercial played endlessly over the course of the draft). The rest of the league, however, backs up that judgment.

After Barnes was drafted with the 16th pick of the third round, no team took an offensive lineman for the rest of that round. Not one. The next offensive lineman to go was a center, Jonathan Lugis out of Arkansas, with the sixth pick of the fourth round (106 overall). The next player listed as an offensive tackle to go was T. J. Land of Eastern Michigan, who went a few picks later to Green Bay with the 109th overall pick. A Google search reveals, however, that it appears that he is being thought of more as a guard than as a tackle.

You have to go to the 35th pick of the fourth round, all the way to pick number 135, to find the next tackle taken. Troy Kropog of Tulane went to the Titans with a compensatory pick. Reaching by 50 picks, a round and a half, to fill a need is not the way to build through the draft.

I guess the Skins are just hoping the offense improves in year 2 of a new system or that we'll win every game 10-3 :)

Funk Butter 27-04-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

That's how it works, you get all boozed up and yell at every pick. Jets fans have provided some classic moments.

Of course, the Philly fans booed the Donovan McNabb pick because they wanted Ricky Williams.

Funk Butter 27-04-2009 05:10 PM

Not sure why that youtube embed isn't working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Kaberle15 27-04-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

That's more the player i want next year.

Here's a guarantee.

Number 1 - Sam Bradford

With the 32nd pick of the NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Tim Tebow. Belichick is in love with him. Even more than the press. With him and Meyer's relationship, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tebow will be going top 5, perfect guy to have as the face of a franchise. Tebow and Bradford is certainly a better pair of QBs than Stafford and Sanchez imo.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Funnily enough, I trust Bill from Boston rather than Paul from Pottyland. :p

Sh*t draft class, did the right thing trading around and saving some cash. Didn't we pick up 2 extra 2nds for 2010 for a draft class which could be 60 players deep in elite players?

Oh and McCoy > Bradford.

Well, in Bill we trust is coming from some people, but that only takes you so far.

The Patriots had picks 23, 34, 47 and 58 as well as 2 in the 3rd round. We ended up with 12 players and no Ellis Hobbs. We picked a return guy in the 3rd who will be on IR for a year and we thought Slater was high in the 5th. A Jamaican safety who would have been available at 47 in the original picks. We didn't get a pass rush.

So, what do we get? An excellent secondary, but only Butler can start out of those taken in the draft, the other corner and safetys were already here.
A ILB who can compete for reps with Bruschi and Guyton alongside Mayo.
A defensive line (that was fine anyway) now has more depth, the problem. We cant fit 10 linemen in the 53. We take 6 at most. Green or Seymour are gone soon.

And finally, the pass rush from the OLB's. Adalius Thomas is one if he stays injury-free. Then the other side, you will have Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable and Tully Banta-Cain (good god, no) being blocked by the RT of any team. Unless Crable's chickenlegs have gone.

I like that we only need to draft depth, but my questions are how Everette Brown and Rey Maualuga are lower than Patrick Chung. Those 2 and Butler I thought had no chance of being there at 23, no matter 34. Brown-Maualuga-Mayo-Thomas along with the front 3 and the improved D would have been awesome.

But then again, In Bill we Trust I guess. Give it 3 more years like this, and we'll be wondering where Pioli has gone.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Well, in Bill we trust is coming from some people, but that only takes you so far.

The Patriots had picks 23, 34, 47 and 58 as well as 2 in the 3rd round. We ended up with 12 players and no Ellis Hobbs. We picked a return guy in the 3rd who will be on IR for a year and we thought Slater was high in the 5th. A Jamaican safety who would have been available at 47 in the original picks. We didn't get a pass rush.

So, what do we get? An excellent secondary, but only Butler can start out of those taken in the draft, the other corner and safetys were already here.
A ILB who can compete for reps with Bruschi and Guyton alongside Mayo.
A defensive line (that was fine anyway) now has more depth, the problem. We cant fit 10 linemen in the 53. We take 6 at most. Green or Seymour are gone soon.

And finally, the pass rush from the OLB's. Adalius Thomas is one if he stays injury-free. Then the other side, you will have Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable and Tully Banta-Cain (good god, no) being blocked by the RT of any team. Unless Crable's chickenlegs have gone.

I like that we only need to draft depth, but my questions are how Everette Brown and Rey Maualuga are lower than Patrick Chung. Those 2 and Butler I thought had no chance of being there at 23, no matter 34. Brown-Maualuga-Mayo-Thomas along with the front 3 and the improved D would have been awesome.

But then again, In Bill we Trust I guess. Give it 3 more years like this, and we'll be wondering where Pioli has gone.

How much have YOU seen of any of the players we drafted? :clown:

jazman 27-04-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Brody
I don't believe he was peeved to be joining a team with great heritage and the ancestral home of the greatest wide receiver of all time.

I don't deny that for one second. I think Latvian mentioned better than I did the fact that he was sitting there for a lot longer than he and most expected. However, it could end up being a blessing in disguise if the 49ers sort themselves out compared to where he could have ended up.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 06:40 PM

Oh, and Maualuga can't tackle. I rated him highly but you only have to listen to the guy and watch the tapes. He's pig shit and has wafers for arms.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 27-04-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
That's how it works, you get all boozed up and yell at every pick. Jets fans have provided some classic moments.

Of course, the Philly fans booed the Donovan McNabb pick because they wanted Ricky Williams.

Yep, of course I realised the booziness of it all etc. but it's a shame that such a special moment for these young players is tainted in such a way. It's a bit like being booed on your wedding day or graduation.

Incidentally, I also felt sorry for the players who had cameras etc. at their houses all day and didn't get drafted!

Latvian Eagle 27-04-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Yep, of course I realised the booziness of it all etc. but it's a shame that such a special moment for these young players is tainted in such a way. It's a bit like being booed on your wedding day or graduation.

Incidentally, I also felt sorry for the players who had cameras etc. at their houses all day and didn't get drafted!

Would they send cameras to the houses of players they know probably wouldn't be drafted? :confused:

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

How much have YOU seen of any of the players we drafted? :clown:

Which ones?

Brace and Butler, a lot. I have dvds of the majority of BC and UConn games from last year.

Chung, not much. But 1 interception in 13 games last year if the stat is right. I preferred Sean Smith who I has seen a lot of..

Vollmer. Linemen, Don't know much of him.

McKenzie and Tate. Tate I saw a lot of him and have seen his returnability in highlights. He is one of the 3 picks I really like.

I've seen highlights of as many of the rest of the picks as I can. Love the QB/WR we took, has great highlights on Youtube. My opinion of this is that he will be running the scout team against Miami and will help against the Wildcat whether we use it or not.

I had a feeling we wouldn't take Rey at 23 if he fell because of three things. Two ILBs in a row at the first pick.
Very, very low wonderlic score.
Has had problems in the news over last few weeks

Non-draft news:

The Patriots radio show(pfwinprogress) will have the first ever interview with Adam Schefter since he chose to go to ESPN and will be live on air tomorrow.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 07:21 PM

I liked watching B.J. Raji get drafted. On the phone and shouting at people in his house to shut up.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Which ones?

Brace and Butler, a lot. I have dvds of the majority of BC and UConn games from last year.

Chung, not much. But 1 interception in 13 games last year if the stat is right. I preferred Sean Smith who I has seen a lot of..

Vollmer. Linemen, Don't know much of him.

McKenzie and Tate. Tate I saw a lot of him and have seen his returnability in highlights. He is one of the 3 picks I really like.

I've seen highlights of as many of the rest of the picks as I can. Love the QB/WR we took, has great highlights on Youtube. My opinion of this is that he will be running the scout team against Miami and will help against the Wildcat whether we use it or not.

I had a feeling we wouldn't take Rey at 23 if he fell because of three things. Two ILBs in a row at the first pick.
Very, very low wonderlic score.
Has had problems in the news over last few weeks

Non-draft news:

The Patriots radio show(pfwinprogress) will have the first ever interview with Adam Schefter since he chose to go to ESPN and will be live on air tomorrow.

The point I am making Paul is that I watch 4 or 5 college games a WEEK during the season. You claim to have a load on DVD and whatever. It doesn't make us scouts. It doesn't even make us close to being, full-time, paid, professional scouts.

What skills would you look for in an OLB? How would he be technically different from an ILB? What would you expect his vertical to be? What 40 time would you expect from a DE? Is an interceptions stat the main thing you look at when choosing a CB?

Paul, you strike me as being an ideal scout for Oakland.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 09:24 PM

I go by what I see and what I read on the various sites as well as what I hear from people that I know watch these teams week-in week-out and go to the Combine, Senior Bowl practices etc.

I'm not claiming to know more than these people. They may have a great future. Every one may be an all-pro for all I know.

But if we cant give opinions on people now, whats the point.

Lets review the 2006 draft. 3 years on, we can tell who is a bust or not.
1st round - Laurence Maroney. Bust.
2nd round - Chad Jackson. Bust.
3rd round - David Thomas. Cut this summer. Done nothing, bust.
4th round - Garrett Mills. Who?
Stephen Gostkowski - We have a winner.
5th round - Ryan O'Callaghan. Attitude concerns, 3 OL drafted in 09. He's gone
6th round - Only one of 3 is still around in any capacity. LeKevin Smith. I like him, but he will struggle to stay around this year.
7th - Willie Andrews - Decent returner. Arrested and cut.

So, Gostkowski, Smith and Maroney are around now. One, possibly Two will still be here in 09.

There was no point be going through that, but you cant review prospects straight after the draft, so will go 3 years back so we know what Belichick did.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 27-04-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Would they send cameras to the houses of players they know probably wouldn't be drafted? :confused:

The two players that spring to my mind is the guy named Cosby who was stuck all day with Bill Cosby who has 'adopted' his college team, and some bald QB whose name began with H. Both may have been drafted at the end, I didn't see it all the way through.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

I go by what I see and what I read on the various sites as well as what I hear from people that I know watch these teams week-in week-out and go to the Combine, Senior Bowl practices etc.

I'm not claiming to know more than these people. They may have a great future. Every one may be an all-pro for all I know.

But if we cant give opinions on people now, whats the point.

Lets review the 2006 draft. 3 years on, we can tell who is a bust or not.
1st round - Laurence Maroney. Bust.
2nd round - Chad Jackson. Bust.
3rd round - David Thomas. Cut this summer. Done nothing, bust.
4th round - Garrett Mills. Who?
Stephen Gostkowski - We have a winner.
5th round - Ryan O'Callaghan. Attitude concerns, 3 OL drafted in 09. He's gone
6th round - Only one of 3 is still around in any capacity. LeKevin Smith. I like him, but he will struggle to stay around this year.
7th - Willie Andrews - Decent returner. Arrested and cut.

So, Gostkowski, Smith and Maroney are around now. One, possibly Two will still be here in 09.

There was no point be going through that, but you cant review prospects straight after the draft, so will go 3 years back so we know what Belichick did.

Do that exercise with all teams. A lot of teams only end up keeping a coupld of players from a draft class 3 or 4 years on.

FWIW - Maroney is not a bust. He's not a 1st rounder and he's not a first choice back but in a pass-heavy offense he was never going to be a 1,000 yard rusher. He's a reasonable second choice or "committee" (I hate that term) RB.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

The two players that spring to my mind is the guy named Cosby who was stuck all day with Bill Cosby who has 'adopted' his college team, and some bald QB whose name began with H. Both may have been drafted at the end, I didn't see it all the way through.

Quan Cosby. Haven't seen where or if he went. I have a life so didn't sit in front of the TV for 8 hours on Sunday ;)

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quan Cosby. Haven't seen where or if he went. I have a life so didn't sit in front of the TV for 8 hours on Sunday ;)

Just looked - he was undrafted which doesn't surprise me. Having watched almost all of UT's games last season he's too small. Good hands though and might get picked up as a return specialist.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 10:00 PM

I wrote a long reply to your original one and then deleted the page. Oops.

I went on about the committee and how Maroney could be cut if he gets one more injury as thats his main problem.

My main point earlier was not the 06 draft, just that we can have opinions on players now. Then, if you are wrong, you are wrong. If Vollmer turns into Orlando Pace i'll be completely wrong but delighted. There is no point in Kiper, McShay, Mayock and Charles Davis if you can't comment on things like this. It's what makes you a fan (or a dick)

And it wasn't 8 in front of the TV.

It was 5 in front of the laptop on Sat.
And 3 more on Sun (would have been longer but broke my hand and had to go and see someone)

elliott 27-04-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

My main point earlier was not the 06 draft, just that we can have opinions on players now. Then, if you are wrong, you are wrong. If Vollmer turns into Orlando Pace i'll be completely wrong but delighted. There is no point in Kiper, McShay, Mayock and Charles Davis if you can't comment on things like this. It's what makes you a fan (or a dick)

I think its wrong to critique a team so heavily based on the draft. I was having a chat with a Jets fan who was jumping around about the Sanchez pick. I just smiled. I don't know much about him, but I know I would've waited for next year's talent rich draft to get a QB.

Draft analysis (of how well a team has drafted) is almost all toss was my conclusion. Only now can you fully appreciate how well Miami drafted in 2005, compared with how poorly in 2004 for example

I watch about 4 college football games a week (often not the big teams too) and I have played the game for 4 years. I'm being groomed to be a future OC, but I really do not feel qualified to speak at all about the players. The only person who I feel strongly about is Matt Stafford, and I would back myself all the way on that one.

There's also a reason Kiper/Mayock etc are on telly. Its because they aren't in the FOs on draft day. Essentially, there are 32 groups of people better qualified to analyse the draft than them.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 10:25 PM

Fair enough, at least you've explained yourself properly.

I am guessing as obviously these players may not grasp the NFL at all.

Someone made a great point about Mayock though. He mentions his mock draft and then says someone else would be a great pick here. Thanks mate ;)

The 5 mins before and after the Sanchez pick were great.

Jets fans cheering, Sanchez wearing the hat. The announcement of the trade details. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 10:29 PM

The point i've tried to make the whole time is:

These are my opinions, I could be completely wrong. Or I could be right on some of them.

This isn't something where I pat myself of the back with every pick I get right in a few years. It's just my opinion that I didn't like the draft, the more footage I see of Chung, the more I like it. It could be because of Belichick being the guy that you don't slag off as he is the expert.

It was because I loved Everette Brown and thought we should be up at 10 to get him ahead of the Bills (who should have taken Orakpo), but he dropped all the way down and we picked 3 more times and didn't take him. I and some scouts may be completely wrong who had him top 15 quality, but the teams that passed on him may know something we don't. I think he's a great player, but that's why i'm not Pioli, Johnson, Belichick or Parcells.

It's just an opinion :)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 27-04-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Wasn't in front of the TV all day - had it on in the background while I looked after my 8 month old boy - can't have a better life than that ;)

elliott 27-04-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

These are my opinions, I could be completely wrong. Or I could be right on some of them.

But isn't that essentially like tossing a coin? And anyone can get as good odds as tossing a coin!

Myself, I agree with saxon. Bill has been very clever here. He knows he has few real needs and so has saved for next year when he can use his picks in a very talent rich draft.

Can't fault that IMO

Strathclyde Eagle 27-04-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
have you seen what kiper said about him?

I'm with Ben in his opinion on Kiper.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 11:14 PM

Few real needs?

How about pass-rush?

I'm sure when Adalius Thomas gets hurt again that teams are going to be scared of Pierre Woods and Tully Banta-Cain. Thank God we have a Secondary this year, otherwise Brady would need to put up 50burgers every game.

I like the extra 2 picks in 2010. But we could have easily got a 2nd first for 2010 out of it. Hell, look at the Panthers, they gave up a first for Brown.

saxoneagle 27-04-2009 11:17 PM

Wait and see Paul, and stop copying other people's views from other sites.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 11:23 PM

I did use to like Kiper, but he seems to have got senile quick. Having Cassel as a top 5 QB and better than Cutler and many others. I liked him, but I had him 15th in the league.

But Mayock came out with a gem on Saturday.

"Jay Cutler is not a franchise QB" he then proceeded to tell a shocked Rich Eisen (who tweeted it immediately) that all 3 QBs in the first round could be.

All I am saying is that I had my opinion questioned because I don't know what will happen in the future, and Belichick knows what he is doing. I gave my opinions that I didn't like the picks because IN MY OPINION there were better players who fitted a bigger need. I've seen more tape on each guy since then, I love Butler, like Brace and Chung and am not all that bothered by Vollmer of the 2nds. I like the 2 3rds and the Wildcat guy. The others are all meh picks to me. Whereas last year I loved every pick of the 7 we made. From Mayo to Ruud. I called Mayo as DROTY, but had Wheatley, Crable, Slater and Ruud wrong. 3 of them due to injuries. I had Wilhite wrong but he came better than expected. And O'Connell didn't play because TB/Cassel were ahead. If we can't give opinions, whats the point of the thread talking about the draft?

Let's not have a draft show anymore then, let them pick but no analysis. We'll sit there and watch Goodell and the other guy announce picks and listen to the fans boo one by one, with no Eisen, Mayock, Dukes, Gruden (very good), Davis, Prime, Faulk and the rest.

To end on a lighter note,

Talking of the other guy who was announcing picks, who heard the slip he made.

With pick 35 of the draft, the St. Louis Cardinals select...

At that point everyone was laughing apart from the Jets fans who were still booing.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Wait and see Paul, and stop copying other people's views from other sites.

What has come from another site?

All the sites are giving the Patriots B+. Some moron gave them an A. You cant get an A yet. I give it a C-D. Because I didn't like the way that some picks were wasted easily. And I think we could have taken a better player at one point but in Bill we Trust. Remember that when Veteran Special Teamer Banta-Cain is starting...

What would you give the 07 Patriots draft looking at it. Someone said a D. That's funny because with the 2nd round pick, the Patriots got Welker and with the 4th the Pats got Moss. I call that a A- draft along with Merriweather.

pauldrulez 27-04-2009 11:27 PM

And since we are on it, no more opinions on players.

We haven't seen them play in the NFL, they may be the best yet...

elliott 28-04-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

What would you give the 07 Patriots draft looking at it. Someone said a D. That's funny because with the 2nd round pick, the Patriots got Welker and with the 4th the Pats got Moss. I call that a A- draft along with Merriweather.

That's not counted in the draft though sadly.

I have no problem with analysing, and analysing players, but the NFL is known for being so hit and miss when it comes to rookie player success, that in my opinion, any analysis is fairly ridiculous.

Why not analyse who's got the best chance of winning the FA cup in 2020? You've got better odds of getting it right than analysing whether drafted players will be boom or bust...

Strathclyde Eagle 28-04-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Why not analyse who's got the best chance of winning the FA cup in 2020?

Manchester United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal. ;)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 28-04-2009 04:10 AM

I think with all the arguing that's going on it's worth remembering things like Tom Brady being a 6th round pick in 2000 - 199th overrall.

It's very difficult to predict who'll make it and who won't. But from what I've heard, the Patriots have been very canny in not only addressing a few deficient areas in this year's draft, but also taking into consideration their salary structure by not overloading themselves with too many early (and therefore expensive) draft picks. As Tom Brady proved, there's good players all the way through the draft.

elliott 28-04-2009 09:12 AM

i can't believe graham harrell went undrafted.

well, i can't believe no one wanted to take a punt on him.

has he signed as an UDFA anywhere yet?

ardeo 28-04-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter

And still boo him now :p

oz_da II 28-04-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

i can't believe graham harrell went undrafted.

well, i can't believe no one wanted to take a punt on him.

has he signed as an UDFA anywhere yet?

Gone to the Cleveland Browns rookie camp.

jazman 28-04-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Manchester United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal. ;)

You think they will merge by then? :o

jazman 28-04-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

I think with all the arguing that's going on it's worth remembering things like Tom Brady being a 6th round pick in 2000 - 199th overrall.

Great point. As I've said before, my first forray into the Draft has left me feeling a little confused to the point of thinking 'what the hell was all that about?' ... It begs the question after all the comments on the past page or so, what relation or significance will it all have on the new season? I guage that it's pretty much like reviewing all the youth talent in this country and deciding who will or will not make it as a top Premiership player. That's not my input, just my view on it all.

To be honest, the draft did very little for me. Maybe that's because I have little time to read other sites apart from this thread and NFL.com but you can't compare all this with proper NFL action. So I am now very much looking forward to the new season.

I suggest you all go and kiss the star ... ;) :o

pauldrulez 28-04-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
Gone to the Cleveland Browns rookie camp.

After a tryout with the Cowboys, the Browns jumped on him.

I wont bother with analysing it anymore, the more I look at it, the more I like some of the picks (and I love having 3 2nds next year, but surely thats not part of this years draft either, just like Welker/Moss in 07?)

Roll on the new season.

saxoneagle 28-04-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Indeed, and Paul more than anyone should know that.

pauldrulez 28-04-2009 01:54 PM

And Cassel (7th) and Romo who went Undrafted IIRC.

jazman 28-04-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Romo who went Undrafted IIRC.

That explains a lot ... :o

Funk Butter 28-04-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Great point. As I've said before, my first forray into the Draft has left me feeling a little confused to the point of thinking 'what the hell was all that about?' ... It begs the question after all the comments on the past page or so, what relation or significance will it all have on the new season? I guage that it's pretty much like reviewing all the youth talent in this country and deciding who will or will not make it as a top Premiership player. That's not my input, just my view on it all.

A slight difference is that you are taking in 3 or 4 years of high level competition into consideration in the NFL Draft. Plus, you are drafting 21 and 22 year olds, so theoretically, you should do a better job of picking which guys will be good versus a 16 year old youth team player. That's why whiffing on a 1st Round pick is such a calamity, and why some teams are always crap while others are consistent playoff teams. Almost always, 1st and 2nd round picks are expected to contribute in their first season, second at latest.

nookiebear 28-04-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

I suggest you all go and kiss the star ... ;) :o

Er, no :moo: :S: :S: ;) ;)

The draft really is random, we all know that. I've paid more attention to it the past two seasons than ever before but still know bugger all about almost all the young players - just read the Redskins forums a bit to get a feeling for what really people in the know think

The Brady thing is good to point out. Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted

Redskins fans seem excited by the wide receiver we drafted in the 7th round, Marko Mitchell - 6ft 4, but quick. They think he could have the sort of impact Chris Horton had for the Skins on D last season. He was a 7th round pick as well and is now a starter at Safety. Some are actually rating him higher than the two wide receivers we drafted in the second round last year :eek: