CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ashes 2021 - 4-0 (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285220)

cpfc4evandeva 09-12-2021 10:51 AM

Does anyone know what time the BBC highlights are added to iplayer?

PS Not picking Broad seemed odd at first, but now it seems much worse than that. Surely he must be injured?

Jordan's Jacket 09-12-2021 11:01 AM

That batting first decision looks even worse now

crystaljim 09-12-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 16140589)

PS Not picking Broad seemed odd at first, but now it seems much worse than that. Surely he must be injured?

Got to be a falling out, there can't be a cricketing reason.

Also how well was Stokes bowling in the nets? To make them think he was a viable bowling option?
He looked underdone before he hurt his knee. He was targetted as much as Leach was.

jmemour 09-12-2021 11:04 AM

We can’t have a day with as little luck as that again, surely. We didn’t help ourselves with the Burns drops but everything went their way today. Everything.

Can’t help but feel there’s a long way to go in this series, they clearly can be got at if we stick at it.

davech 09-12-2021 11:22 AM

A complete shambes, sadly. I honestly thought we might be in with a chance in this series. We still might, but a total re-think is needed.

Wrong team, wrong decision to bat, one-trick-pony Burns playing his one-day game, still hasn't learned to catch. Missed chances again, batsmen bowled off no-balls, Warner riding his luck, none of which has come our way yet. Having said that, the old saying you make your own luck is so true.

And, our top 5 - 36 runs, theirs 295 and counting.

Plan for the 2nd test now. All is not lost - yet.

Tomo 09-12-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140596)
Got to be a falling out, there can't be a cricketing reason.

Also how well was Stokes bowling in the nets? To make them think he was a viable bowling option?
He looked underdone before he hurt his knee. He was targetted as much as Leach was.

Unfortunately, it's not just the bowling. It's being on your legs for the whole day in that heat.
But like i said earlier, it's a result of zero warm up matches.

Having to play an internal game is a shambles, when you're just facing the blokes you face in the nets every day.

art malice 09-12-2021 11:26 AM

Hopefully one of our backroom army of emergency shambles responders can provide Root with a 148-page deep dive dossier into what’s gone wrong.

LuieJack 09-12-2021 11:37 AM

We have to accept barring a miracle and a complete turnaround in Aussie fortunes, this Test has been lost and most likely by Day Four.
What i will say is you have to congratulate the Aussie's for their bold approach as at around 230 for 6 it would have been easy to say they had thrown away a great advantage, but to then fight back and really"go for it" and end the day 343 for 7 was a brave approach that will now see them win the game for sure when it could easily have slipped away.
This Aussie side are no world beaters other than having possibly 4/5 good players, but they realise on Home soil it wont take much to defeat this sub standard England side, who apart from lacking quality also lack the mental strength for a fight when the chips are down. What is very concerning is when we have to suggest the inclusion of Anderson and Broad who all be it they truly are World class will help tip the balance, but these guys are "pensioners" in cricketing terms, you have to ask where has our long term planning gone? other than that we have struggled to find an Opening pairing capable of succeding at this level, the same applies for a Test class spinner we badly lack, you can also ask should our One true world class batsman Joe Root be burden with the captaincy? he clearly struggles to cope with both positions., why not just let him focus on his much needed batting.
Sounds gloomy, but i think the Ashes series is lost so lets look ahead and start our planning policy on our return as to how we move forward at Every level from Selectors to players.

Tomo 09-12-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 16140627)
We have to accept barring a miracle and a complete turnaround in Aussie fortunes, this Test has been lost and most likely by Day Four.
What i will say is you have to congratulate the Aussie's for their bold approach as at around 230 for 6 it would have been easy to say they had thrown away a great advantage, but to then fight back and really"go for it" and end the day 343 for 7 was a brave approach that will now see them win the game for sure when it could easily have slipped away.
This Aussie side are no world beaters other than having possibly 4/5 good players, but they realise on Home soil it wont take much to defeat this sub standard England side, who apart from lacking quality also lack the mental strength for a fight when the chips are down. What is very concerning is when we have to suggest the inclusion of Anderson and Broad who all be it they truly are World class will help tip the balance, but these guys are "pensioners" in cricketing terms, you have to ask where has our long term planning gone? other than that we have struggled to find an Opening pairing capable of succeding at this level, the same applies for a Test class spinner we badly lack, you can also ask should our One true world class batsman Joe Root be burden with the captaincy? he clearly struggles to cope with both positions., why not just let him focus on his much needed batting.
Sounds gloomy, but i think the Ashes series is lost so lets look ahead and start our planning policy on our return as to how we move forward at Every level from Selectors to players.

Unfortunately, so much is as a result of what happens far higher up the food chain. The ECB putting little focus on the county game and shoehorning fixtures at the beginning and end of the summer when bowlers can get away with bowling 80mph gentle swingers and picking up a load of wickets because of the conditions. Bowlers don't have to work for the wickets, spinners are unneeded and batsman are always likely to have a ball with their name on it.

But they'll create a new even shorter format, soaking up the best talent, meaning the county game is even more redundant.

It's a bit harsh to talk about Rory Burns playing OD cricket when he's hardly played the shorter format.

Prince Phillip 09-12-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunghole (Post 16140315)
Which village green side does Rory Burns play for?

#AllTimeDud

Born in Epsom, Surrey. A fading old ocker like you would love it there. White hoods, burning crosses, everything......

crystaljim 09-12-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 16140613)

Having to play an internal game is a shambles, when you're just facing the blokes you face in the nets every day.

Yet this is what they based all their decisions on? It took about 2 overs to realise Stokes should have been picked as a batsmen as he was severely underdone.

Yet having him as a fast medium bowling option was the reason they went with Leach. Both options got taken to the cleaners.

I think you got suckered in by us announcing our team so early. You decided it was easier to copy us, rather than pick your best team.

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16140615)
Hopefully one of our backroom army of emergency shambles responders can provide Root with a 148-page deep dive dossier into what’s gone wrong.

After the deep dive, going forward, Root will learn something and would be fire figting better in the next test....

davech 09-12-2021 12:34 PM

I reckon they should lock Rory Burns in a room for two hours with a picture of Sir Geoffrey Boycott and a tape on endless loop of him saying, "Show 'im t'makers name!" for starters...

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140656)
Yet this is what they based all their decisions on? It took about 2 overs to realise Stokes should have been picked as a batsmen as he was severely underdone.

Yet having him as a fast medium bowling option was the reason they went with Leach. Both options got taken to the cleaners.

I think you got suckered in by us announcing our team so early. You decided it was easier to copy us, rather than pick your best team.

Spot on there with your analysis and yes the team annoucement didn't help.

Maybe they also listened to Warne slagging Mitchel Starc off where he calling the logic behind his selection, and thought we have this boys.....

Like I said, Aussies are good with mind games, and when Eddie Jones became our Rugby manager and he was winding other teams up, the press went mad and called him rude etc. Before we go to Rugby, I digress so we can stay with Cricket

:)

LuieJack 09-12-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 16140634)
Unfortunately, so much is as a result of what happens far higher up the food chain. The ECB putting little focus on the county game and shoehorning fixtures at the beginning and end of the summer when bowlers can get away with bowling 80mph gentle swingers and picking up a load of wickets because of the conditions. Bowlers don't have to work for the wickets, spinners are unneeded and batsman are always likely to have a ball with their name on it.

But they'll create a new even shorter format, soaking up the best talent, meaning the county game is even more redundant.

It's a bit harsh to talk about Rory Burns playing OD cricket when he's hardly played the shorter format.

I hear where you are coming from Tomo and there is some justiaction to your arguement. But my points refer to how we have let basic planning slip, lets be honest we have struggled for years to put out a balanced side it which always seemed lopsided and unbalanced, its not rocket science to suggest it needs 5 Batsmen, Allrounder, Wicketkeeper, Spinner and 3 additional Pace bowlers. How often did we see that? something that is basic.
Maybe the problem lay from the early days when we depended on Root to rescue the batting, Stokes as the dependable allrounder, and the outstanding Anderson and Broad our bowling saviours and that was the mainstay of the side and without any thought to planning ahead, which is why we now have these issues to overcome.
Unfortunately this has many comparrissions to my own County side Surrey, and for me Both need a long hard look at themselves and how it is being run.

GB2506 09-12-2021 01:07 PM

Leach really isn’t good enough. Should go into the 2nd test with 5 seamers and Root as the spin option. 11 overs for 95 from Leach and they went from 40 odd for 1 and struggling to score to 110-1 in the space of about 10 overs. All the pressure had gone.

Also question marks over Stokes fitness and ability to bowl long spells. Makes the decision not to play Broad even stranger.

RobertCPFC 09-12-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 16140589)

5pm

adrenalin john 09-12-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140693)
Spot on there with your analysis and yes the team annoucement didn't help.

Maybe they also listened to Warne slagging Mitchel Starc off where he calling the logic behind his selection, and thought we have this boys.....

Like I said, Aussies are good with mind games, and when Eddie Jones became our Rugby manager and he was winding other teams up, the press went mad and called him rude etc. Before we go to Rugby, I digress so we can stay with Cricket

Eddie Jones is a ****, an embarassing control freak, how many staff have left under NDAs?

crystaljim 09-12-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140693)
. Before we go to Rugby, I digress so we can stay with Cricket

You can stick your posh boys sport up yer arse!

davech 09-12-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140759)

Just because we beat you. Ner Ner Ner :D

(Yes, I am 68 years old)

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140759)

Lol

I also like AFL and I follow Melbourne Demons :)

Anyhoo. Let’s digress again haha

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 16140758)
Eddie Jones is a ****, an embarassing control freak, how many staff have left under NDAs?

I wasn’t aware of that. Must admit I watch the matches but don’t actively follow Rugby as I used to

crystaljim 09-12-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140766)
Lol

I also like AFL and I follow Melbourne Demons :)

Anyhoo. Let’s digress again haha

How long you been a fan? Since Sept 2021? :supergrin:

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140768)
How long you been a fan? Since Sept 2021? :supergrin:

Bonesy will back me on this since 2018 when the Dee's were absolute pants lol..

He is to blame for me to follow AFL

art malice 09-12-2021 02:23 PM

I'm not a fan of Warne but at least he slags the Aussies off when he thinks it's needed. You'll never get Finn or Cook doing that to England.

crystaljim 09-12-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140776)

At least he didn't try and make you a Cats fan! :eek:

Aki Aki Aki 09-12-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16140809)
I'm not a fan of Warne but at least he slags the Aussies off when he thinks it's needed. You'll never get Finn or Cook doing that to England.

Maybe Finn still thinks he can resurrect his England career :D

PauLo 09-12-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140555)
He could always do some physio! :rolleyes:

At 10 to midnight?

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140832)

Thank feck for that lol.

One of my favourite cricket ground is MCG and this is where they play AFL too, so I decided to pick them to follow, must say last season was brilliant

cpfc4evandeva 09-12-2021 03:37 PM

I know we got battered in 2006, but Gilchrist got a 57 ball century?! Jeez.

art malice 09-12-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 16140884)
I know we got battered in 2006, but Gilchrist got a 57 ball century?! Jeez.

I listened to that in utter horror. Just like 20 years before for Viv Richards’ 56-ball ton in Antigua.

These days I’d deffo switch off.

Tomo 09-12-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 16140709)
I hear where you are coming from Tomo and there is some justiaction to your arguement. But my points refer to how we have let basic planning slip, lets be honest we have struggled for years to put out a balanced side it which always seemed lopsided and unbalanced, its not rocket science to suggest it needs 5 Batsmen, Allrounder, Wicketkeeper, Spinner and 3 additional Pace bowlers. How often did we see that? something that is basic.
Maybe the problem lay from the early days when we depended on Root to rescue the batting, Stokes as the dependable allrounder, and the outstanding Anderson and Broad our bowling saviours and that was the mainstay of the side and without any thought to planning ahead, which is why we now have these issues to overcome.
Unfortunately this has many comparrissions to my own County side Surrey, and for me Both need a long hard look at themselves and how it is being run.

But even the basic planning is linked to all that.

And this match we've gone for a balanced line up, yet it is still executed terribly. There is no way in a game of this magnitude you'd have left out both Anderson and Broad unless both were injured.
I think Broad is a complete prick yet even I feel sorry for him!

But, to my original point, the Test side will find it much harder to be planning for the future because we don't allow our young players the opportunity to fine tune and work on their game, and too many get found out too early on. See Crawley, Sibley etc.

Aki Aki Aki 09-12-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 16140951)
But, to my original point, the Test side will find it much harder to be planning for the future because we don't allow our young players the opportunity to fine tune and work on their game, and too many get found out too early on. See Crawley, Sibley etc.

Sibley was found out because he has a shocking technique. Burns has a similarly awful technique, but for some unknown reason is not being dropped (is it six ducks in 2021 ?). Crawley has a far better technique and should enjoy the hard Aussie wickets, but like Jimmy and Broady, he's playing in the nets rather than in the middle. I'd rather open with Bairstow than Burns.

davech 09-12-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16140976)
Sibley was found out because he has a shocking technique. Burns has a similarly awful technique, but for some unknown reason is not being dropped (is it six ducks in 2021 ?). Crawley has a far better technique and should enjoy the hard Aussie wickets, but like Jimmy and Broady, he's playing in the nets rather than in the middle. I'd rather open with Bairstow than Burns.

Yep. At least YJB has a hint of ability to play straight, if not always down the correct line.

That sounds a bit Eric Morecambe-like :D

Worksop Palace 09-12-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16140976)

Correct

Burns simply not fit for purpose

Bones14 09-12-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140776)

Thats total BS Razor;). You started in the 4th quarter of the Grand Final:D. Jumping on the gravy train and you're pinning this on me:eek:

Bones14 09-12-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16140832)

Oy Oy, and you can eff off. Nothing wrong with my Club other than the coach and the pension cards our players own:p.

Who do you follow jim?

Bones14 09-12-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16140874)
Thank feck for that lol.

One of my favourite cricket ground is MCG and this is where they play AFL too, so I decided to pick them to follow, must say last season was brilliant

Nearly off the friends list Razor:D

Bones14 09-12-2021 08:53 PM

Looking forward to the first session. Time to stick the dagger in (nicely) and put this game to bed once and for all. Another 90 runs and it's absolute curtains i reckon, if it's not already.

Prince Phillip 09-12-2021 09:03 PM

Was amazed to see when checking the stats today that England's overall record down under is quite close. Aus 19 Series - Eng 14 Series.
Although admittedly lots of England wins are way, way, back in history. Draw a line at say 1980, and it's been pretty much a bloodbath every tour.
It's all very much like Wimbledon pre-Murray - we seem to have this strange belief in a positive outcome.

Baffled Bob 2 09-12-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141113)
Looking forward to the first session. Time to stick the dagger in (nicely) and put this game to bed once and for all. Another 90 runs and it's absolute curtains i reckon, if it's not already.

It's curtains already. This England team cannot chase down a 200 run deficit.

Olympian2 09-12-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

My cash out is telling me it’s curtains already :p

davech 09-12-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

It's all over as a contest already. 90 more runs and we are in innings defeat territory.

We shall return.

Palace Kebab 09-12-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16141123)
It's all over as a contest already. 90 more runs and we are in innings defeat territory.

We shall return.

I suspect we may already be in innings defeat territory the way it has gone so far

Bones14 09-12-2021 09:14 PM

If that's the case gentlemen then perhaps we pack the suitcases now and move on to Adelaide.
C'mon, you mighten win but you can still get some positives from somewhere.
Robinson looks like he has a really bright future, and Hameed seems to have a bit about him.

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141110)
Nearly off the friends list Razor:D

Hehe :)

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141108)
Oy Oy, and you can eff off. Nothing wrong with my Club other than the coach and the pension cards our players own:p.

Who do you follow jim?

I am sure he will come out as a Dee’s fan

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 16141119)
Was amazed to see when checking the stats today that England's overall record down under is quite close. Aus 19 Series - Eng 14 Series.
Although admittedly lots of England wins are way, way, back in history. Draw a line at say 1980, and it's been pretty much a bloodbath every tour.
It's all very much like Wimbledon pre-Murray - we seem to have this strange belief in a positive outcome.

I do think we have lost the last 9 or 10 matches and I can’t see stopping that run anytime soon

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141136)
If that's the case gentlemen then perhaps we pack the suitcases now and move on to Adelaide.
Robinson looks like he has a really bright future, and Hameed seems to have a bit about him.

I do hope Burns and Hammed bat well in the second innings.

Bones14 09-12-2021 09:22 PM

Adelaide is a chance for you guys. Gabba is incredibly tough for a touring team first up. It's nearly always a guaranteed win for us.

Bones14 09-12-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16141146)
I do hope Burns and Hammed bat well in the second innings.

He's only got to face one more ball and it's an improvement:D:D

Sorry:p

KYLIE MINEAGLE 09-12-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16140836)
Maybe Finn still thinks he can resurrect his England career :D

Was listening to him on the ABC yesterday , said he had bought his boots with him.

Golf Boy 09-12-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141136)

There is always one of us that has ‘a bit about him’ for the last 30 years.

Bones14 09-12-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16141154)
Was listening to him on the ABC yesterday , said he had bought his boots with him.

Gumboots for the weather. No point him bringing his spikes as they didn't help him when he was playing...........useless.

Golf Boy 09-12-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 16141119)

We won in 1983 and 1986 iirc. Even worse from the 1990 then.

Bones14 09-12-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 16141156)
There is always one of us that has ‘a bit about him’ for the last 30 years.

Yep, agreed.

Robinson is different though. He has a swagger and a degree of self confidence that makes me think he's in it for the long haul. Hameed similar, albeit maybe not the swagger but has the belief. I like both tbh. Couple of good players on the up.

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141152)
He's only got to face one more ball and it's an improvement:D:D

Sorry:p

I wonder if he will face the first ball. Tendulkar always avoided facing the first ball

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141162)
Yep, agreed.

Robinson is different though. He has a swagger and a degree of self confidence that makes me think he's in it for the long haul. Hameed similar, albeit maybe not the swagger but has the belief. I like both tbh. Couple of good players on the up.

I am more worried about Stokes, I don’t think the geezer is match fit. But I do agree the above two you mentioned have showed grit

Bones14 09-12-2021 10:18 PM

Stokes looked so cooked late in the third session. The guy is an injury waiting to happen. He’s far from match fit. Admittedly it was hot and humid yesterday but a pro cricketer shouldn’t start like a 25 year old and finish like an 80 year old.

Might be a bit harsh but he ain’t in good nick.

RazorsEdge 09-12-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141199)
Stokes looked so cooked late in the third session. The guy is an injury waiting to happen. He’s far from match fit. Admittedly it was hot and humid yesterday but a pro cricketer shouldn’t start like a 25 year old and finish like an 80 year old.

Might be a bit harsh but he ain’t in good nick.

He is not and I am worried we will see what happened to Flintoff all over again with Stokes.

art malice 09-12-2021 11:40 PM

Archer was the same. Flog him to bits. Moeen, fvck him around constantly. Rory Burns, same again next week mate. FEC.

art malice 09-12-2021 11:47 PM

At least we're used to England being crap, with a few glimpses of the promised land.

Watching this Australian side must be tough for their fans.

PauLo 10-12-2021 12:26 AM

What time does play start today?

art malice 10-12-2021 12:28 AM

Half 11 our time

Bones14 10-12-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16141257)
At least we're used to England being crap, with a few glimpses of the promised land.

Watching this Australian side must be tough for their fans.

Why is it tough for us to watch our team?

PauLo 10-12-2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16141278)
Half 11 our time

Cheers

jmemour 10-12-2021 12:42 AM

Why on earth are we opening with Woakes

art malice 10-12-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141284)

Not you Bones. You enjoy watching Australia even when they lose to England.

I imagine for most it must be like watching Liverpool for the 25 years after we beat them at Villa Park

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141284)

Because you’re far from the best team in test cricket.

GB2506 10-12-2021 12:48 AM

A lead of 250 and above and we will lose by an innings

Bones14 10-12-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16141289)
Not you Bones. You enjoy watching Australia even when they lose to England.

I imagine for most it must be like watching Liverpool for the 25 years after we beat them at Villa Park

It’s not pleasant watching us lose but if the cricket is great then so be it. The series where Flintoff and co went ballistic was absolutely captivating cricket, as well as the contest between players. Hated losing but loved watching it.

art malice 10-12-2021 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141296)
It’s not pleasant watching us lose but if the cricket is great then so be it. The series where Flintoff and co went ballistic was absolutely captivating cricket, as well as the contest between players. Hated losing but loved watching it.

Fair play Bonesy. But, as ever for us, success is not sustained. Great as those Ashes were, we get whitewashed the one after.

And Stokes’s Headingley heroics, which unlike anything else i’d ever seen physically made me shake towards the end, was followed by defeat at Old Trafford and the Ashes lost.

Whereas you bastards used to just steamroller on like gum-chewing, sledging robots.

Not this lot though. They might win this series then lose to New Zealand

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 16141291)
Because you’re far from the best team in test cricket.

Ok fair enough. Thanks for your detailed answer. Quality.
We might be a fraction in front of your lot though, which is always a good thing.

I enjoy watching new talent like Harris, Green, Carey and Head. Sometimes you’ve got to be patient and have a look at what the future might hold with some of these guys.

We might not be the best but we’re a long way further forward than a few years ago. We don’t have to be the best for me to enjoy watching test cricket. If it’s a good contest or some players are performing at a really high level I’m in.

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:08 AM

Gum chewing sledging robots. Brilliant, I love it.

We can play some decent cricket on our own turf to.

art malice 10-12-2021 01:09 AM

Jonathan Agnew
BBC cricket correspondent on BBC Test Match Special
The Gabba must be the only cricket ground in the world with an adult shop across the road from it.

Aggers’ll know

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:13 AM

Obviously purchased some larger anal beads after getting reamed yesterday

art malice 10-12-2021 01:15 AM

Makes a change from some hardcore Vaughan

Worksop Palace 10-12-2021 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141296)

Exactly how cricket should be

Worksop Palace 10-12-2021 01:18 AM

What sort of crowds are attending ? I know it’s a big ground but looks very sparse

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 16141307)
Exactly how cricket should be

Agreed. To much emphasis on the shorter versions nowadays sadly. The battles in that series were quite simply incredible. It still sticks with me to this day. Greatest series I’ve bore witness to. Shitty result but still amazing.

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141301)
Ok fair enough. Thanks for your detailed answer. Quality.
We might be a fraction in front of your lot though, which is always a good thing.

I enjoy watching new talent like Harris, Green, Carey and Head. Sometimes you’ve got to be patient and have a look at what the future might hold with some of these guys.

We might not be the best but we’re a long way further forward than a few years ago. We don’t have to be the best for me to enjoy watching test cricket. If it’s a good contest or some players are performing at a really high level I’m in.

Not really bothered by myself and yeah England are utter shit at it lol

If the Aussies ever got good at football now that might be annoying.

And fair play in terms of your answer, I think that’s exactly what sport should be about :)

art malice 10-12-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141309)
Agreed. To much emphasis on the shorter versions nowadays sadly. The battles in that series were quite simply incredible. It still sticks with me to this day. Greatest series I’ve bore witness to. Shitty result but still amazing.

Warne doesn’t shell that total dolly off Pietersen on 15 at the Oval you’d have won.

We needed it more than you though.

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 16141308)
What sort of crowds are attending ? I know it’s a big ground but looks very sparse

Haven’t looked but Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide will allow capacity as it stands now. If Tasmania gets the 5th test which I believe they will, they’ll put a limit of 10000 from what I’m hearing.

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:26 AM

It’s a shame as England are so crap it will be a boring Ashes.

art malice 10-12-2021 01:26 AM

Test in Tasmania wow. Hope that happens

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:28 AM

I imagine the last couple of batsman will just whack it around. Then wrap it up by the end of today in all likelihood.

Tests over in three days aren’t up to much.

PauLo 10-12-2021 01:29 AM

Yeah, I’m done. Congrats on your opening test win, Australia.

This is like watching Palace under Hodgson. A couple of good players and shit tonne of average.

PauLo 10-12-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 16141315)

Tests over in three days aren’t up to much.

Unless it’s you who’s winning them.

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:30 AM

It’s just boring to be honest. It’s like watching a premiership team playing someone from league one.

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauLo (Post 16141317)
Unless it’s you who’s winning them.

Even then it’s not up to much. Winning a tightly fought game is more satisfying and better to watch. Although yeah you would rather be an Aussie supporter right now :D

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 16141310)
Not really bothered by myself and yeah England are utter shit at it lol

If the Aussies ever got good at football now that might be annoying.

And fair play in terms of your answer, I think that’s exactly what sport should be about :)

Football. We’ve got some pretty decent talent but tbh it’s not our number one game compared to you guys.
It’s a fair way behind AFL, cricket and rugby league.
It’d be great though if we did get really good and gave you guys a kicking. Would laugh my arse off personally.

art malice 10-12-2021 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 16141318)
It’s just boring to be honest. It’s like watching a premiership team playing someone from league one.

It’s more a couple of Division Four jobbies jostling to avoid re-election

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones14 (Post 16141320)
Football. We’ve got some pretty decent talent but tbh it’s not our number one game compared to you guys.
It’s a fair way behind AFL, cricket and rugby league.
It’d be great though if we did get really good and gave you guys a kicking. Would laugh my arse off personally.

Yeah it’s the only game England really cares about so if you did England over then it would mean a lot of bragging. Can’t see it happening.

cockneyrebel 10-12-2021 01:37 AM

Aussies not even caring if Lyons is on strike now.

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:38 AM

Not with your team at the moment. You got some pretty impressive young talent playing and some real quality backing them up. You just got to win a trophy with this group as it could be another 30 years before you have this much talent and an opportunity for success.

art malice 10-12-2021 01:39 AM

Burns doesn’t drop one though.

As Dan ‘knobhead’ Knorcross would say, ‘is that the turning point’?

Bones14 10-12-2021 01:42 AM

Montgomery Burns.
He’s had a mare the poor fellow.

0.bj 10-12-2021 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmemour (Post 16141288)
Why on earth are we opening with Woakes

Root’s a clown?

Bones14 10-12-2021 02:13 AM

Great 150 by T. Head. Wonderful innings. Well done young man.

greybot 10-12-2021 02:54 AM

Burns playing like he's picked up a bat for the first time. All over the place.