CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

LLCOOLSTEVE 09-09-2008 04:01 AM

I still find it incredible how easily baseball stadiums are turned into Football stadiums and vice versa

simple i know but still its interesting to me okkkkkkkkkkkkkk :D

RDSdaEAGLE 09-09-2008 04:02 AM

Steve, I agree. I find it fascinating. The thing that shocks me is that baseball fields are so big - it pretty much allows the NFL field to fit right into it.

I like the way the McAfee Coliseum is dug into the ground.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/mcafeemain2.jpg

RDSdaEAGLE 09-09-2008 04:07 AM

Broncos are now 5 yards from the end zone. Lovely pass from Cutler.

davematt 09-09-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Steve, I agree. I find it fascinating. The thing that shocks me is that baseball fields are so big - it pretty much allows the NFL field to fit right into it.

I like the way the McAfee Coliseum is dug into the ground.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/mcafeemain2.jpg

It is also capable of holding Soccer games; the Earthquakes have played their a few times this season. I was there for the Galaxy game and it just didnt feel right!

LLCOOLSTEVE 09-09-2008 04:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIukkv1Ko0U

Its also a bit like the Basketball to Ice Hockey Arenas

And it still staggers me how big the College stadiums are in the States

Id love to go to an Ohio State or Michigan game (well Not Michigan right now!)

davematt 09-09-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIukkv1Ko0U

Its also a bit like the Basketball to Ice Hockey Arenas

And it still staggers me how big the College stadiums are in the States

Id love to go to an Ohio State or Michigan game (well Not Michigan right now!)

Agree. Last year I just couldnt believe my eyes when I watched a Ohio State game on TV. Its the fact that the stadium is a sell out every week that makes it even more staggering!

Chester 09-09-2008 04:31 AM

There is only one college stadium. Huskie Country

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...ce_stadium.jpg

Hedgehog 09-09-2008 04:36 AM

Ermmmm.... January?

Chester 09-09-2008 04:37 AM

i'd be impressed if that was Seattle in January

RDSdaEAGLE 09-09-2008 05:13 AM

Raiders are being served.

Denver 24 Raiders 0.

Icy 09-09-2008 08:19 AM

Brady out for the season.

jazman 09-09-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
You know, I barely knew anything about football last year - the Superbowl XLI was my second ever superbowl - I had no idea what I was supposed to look out for, I had no idea whom to watch or even how the game was played.

Last year, I just subscribed to NFL Gameday on iTunes and watched it on my way to work - I listened to terminology, and worked out the positions.

But the GREATEST way you can really learn the game - IMHO - is by playing it yourself. On Madden NFL :D Honestly, I bought 08 last year, and 09 this year, and my learning curve has shot right up - I now know how to change the play at the line of scrimage, calling audibles and setting players in motion - and it's made my enjoyment of watching it so much more. I can see when a team is trying to blitz, I now know what the commentators are talking about when they talk about the QB and FB linking up - and I love it :love:

No harm in posting what you think - even if you don't quite understand what us idiots are talking about :p

Nice one fella ... it's so addictive. I first got into the NFL when it first appeared on our screens over here (late 80s or early 90s?). Watched the covergae from the start when I was living with my parents. My and my old would sit up on a Sunday evening religiously, this is after we had picked our sides, me the Cowboys and my old man chose the 49ers. Made it much more interesting considering both teams were challenging around that time and both had great teams.

I've lost interest around 6-7 years ago and never really kept up with the NFL for some reason, no idea why. Maybe it's my age, but first cricket took more of an interest until last season when I caught the NFL opening week and was hooked again. I posed earlier that I hired Madden 08 on the PSP, and I totally agree with you, it's bizarre how much you can learn about the game just by playing that (season opener last night I beat the Giants 38-26 :D ). I 've just bought ti 08 version from eBay.

I will post my thoughts on the opening week of the season later on today .. please don't laugh (Saxon - time to prove how much of a tool I really am!) ;) :D

Strathclyde Eagle 09-09-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
But yeah, the Red Sox fans hate the Yankees, the Revs hate the Red Bulls and the Celtics hate the Knicks. But nothing is more extreme than the Jets fans hatred for the Patriots. And vice versa. I really should know this but I am incredibly tired and start college in the morning, why so little hatred between the Giants and the Pats, is it because they are in different conferences or am I just imagining it.
Judging by some of the responses on the BigSoccer boards when the USA Palace team beat the Red Bulls I think they hate everyone.
Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
I need to Peterson to out-perfrom Driver to keep Strath off my back :D
:eek:
Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Oh, and what have I been saying all offseason about Tavaris Jackson? That's right, he's rubbish.

:D

The Metro tipster picked him to win on the road at 6/5 yesterday. That went well, looks about as good as their Jacksonville tip to win the Super Bowl. :clown:
Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
140 points. Best in the league. I'm amazing.
:sob:

Seriously, nice work. :p
Quote:

Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
I still find it incredible how easily baseball stadiums are turned into Football stadiums and vice versa

simple i know but still its interesting to me okkkkkkkkkkkkkk :D

In this day it shouldn't happen anymore.

(Counting down the days until we kick the Marlins out on the street.)

jazman 09-09-2008 11:30 AM

Well here goes, the view of week one from a UK NFL fan starting to find his feet again after a number of years absent viewing. To be honest, being a family man, it is difficult to feed the habit as much as I would like. Football being my first love followed by Cricket and then F1 and WRC. Then comes NFL, a poor relation in recent years in my mind. A sport that you all know by now I followed when the C4 coverage started in the early 90s over here. I chose the Cowboys. My old man chose the 49ers. The supporting began and we couldn't have chose two better teams in those days.

My return to NFL supporting was the first game of last season. I was hooked again. A season that promised to be something for the Cowboys, but ended up with Romo hooked up with one of the Simpsons and the team losing out to the Giants in the play offs. Close season, I turned my attention to checking out the Cowboys and what had been going on in years I'd missed out on. I had known from watching last season that the badly dubbed 'Americas Team' held the same kind of egos and star players now as they did with the likes of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvine.

So now we come on to this season. With the new (amazing) billion dollar stadium well on it's way to completion, the aim of Jerry Jones is to have the Lombardi Trophy on show when the Cowboys move there next season. And to be fair, not a lot had to be done to the team from last season. A few tidy additions here and there by the likes of Zak Thomas, Felix Jones and Adam 'Pacman' Jones to name but a few but with the latter being the biggest gamble.

The season opener started with the Giants hosting the Redskins on Thursday night. I caught glimpses of the game but not enough. In all honesty, after last season the Redskins looked like they may step up from play off losers last time around but in this match the Giants always looked in control and continuing where they left off.

The weekends matches were what it was all about. The coverage started here at 6pm, which I stress again, is a difficult time for me to just sit down with a beer and some snacks to watch until the early hours. But I kept in touch with the goings on. And there was a lot to take in. I'm not going to cover all the games here, only the ones that made me sit up and take notice. I'll start with my beloved Cowboys. A season that promises so much got off to the ideal start. I tuned into the game with the Cowboys in full control. One of the later games of the day, and from what I saw of the match, Felix Jones is going to be a star and will only compliment his RB partner in Marion Jones. What got me about Jones though wasn't just his normal position, it was that on the defence where his position extremely well. Watch out for him. Romo did what he does best while his pillow talking pal TO is the man when he has a smile on his face. Cleveland were no match. The Phillies will be a whole new ball game next week at the Texas Stadium and probably our first big test in divisional rivalry.

My sons adopted team, the Bears, shocked the Colts and could be one to watch as the season progresses. The Titans (one of teams I've taken a liking to for some reason) saw off the Jags while the Phillies ravaged a very poor Rams side. The Chargers lost out to the Panthers in an exciting match while the Pats will have to show what they are now made of without Brady even though they beat the Chiefs. I was hoping that last years Dolphins could turn things around and start with a win but that just wasn't to be with Favre throwing the usual bombs on his Jets offence to take the plaudits. A mention here for my old mans team the 49ers. What has happened to them? They could be fighting it out with the Rams this season for the number 1 draft pick for next. The Steelers and the Bills hit the +30s over the Texans and the Seahawks.

The Monday night match ups were intriguing. Was the Viking Peterson going to start after his knee injury in pre-season? Well he did, and didn't look all that worried about it from the little of the match I saw, however, Green Bay and Aaron Rogers saw them off while in the other match Detroit top scored over a struggling Raiders side.

Well, there it is as I saw and read it. Pick holes at will, but I admit my knowledge is no-where near you guys. This is simply a view from an 'amateur fan' which lacks stats but I hope you will agree shows some passion and a willing to learn more as the season continues to make up for it. Now back to Madden 08 .. :p

Neil 09-09-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Raiders are being served.

Denver 24 Raiders 0.

Yeah, thanks for that Rob....

:hmph:

saxoneagle 09-09-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman
Well here goes, the view of week one from a UK NFL fan starting to find his feet again after a number of years absent viewing. To be honest, being a family man, it is difficult to feed the habit as much as I would like. Football being my first love followed by Cricket and then F1 and WRC. Then comes NFL, a poor relation in recent years in my mind. A sport that you all know by now I followed when the C4 coverage started in the early 90s over here. I chose the Cowboys. My old man chose the 49ers. The supporting began and we couldn't have chose two better teams in those days.

My return to NFL supporting was the first game of last season. I was hooked again. A season that promised to be something for the Cowboys, but ended up with Romo hooked up with one of the Simpsons and the team losing out to the Giants in the play offs. Close season, I turned my attention to checking out the Cowboys and what had been going on in years I'd missed out on. I had known from watching last season that the badly dubbed 'Americas Team' held the same kind of egos and star players now as they did with the likes of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvine.

So now we come on to this season. With the new (amazing) billion dollar stadium well on it's way to completion, the aim of Jerry Jones is to have the Lombardi Trophy on show when the Cowboys move there next season. And to be fair, not a lot had to be done to the team from last season. A few tidy additions here and there by the likes of Zak Thomas, Felix Jones and Adam 'Pacman' Jones to name but a few but with the latter being the biggest gamble.

The season opener started with the Giants hosting the Redskins on Thursday night. I caught glimpses of the game but not enough. In all honesty, after last season the Redskins looked like they may step up from play off losers last time around but in this match the Giants always looked in control and continuing where they left off.

The weekends matches were what it was all about. The coverage started here at 6pm, which I stress again, is a difficult time for me to just sit down with a beer and some snacks to watch until the early hours. But I kept in touch with the goings on. And there was a lot to take in. I'm not going to cover all the games here, only the ones that made me sit up and take notice. I'll start with my beloved Cowboys. A season that promises so much got off to the ideal start. I tuned into the game with the Cowboys in full control. One of the later games of the day, and from what I saw of the match, Felix Jones is going to be a star and will only compliment his RB partner in Marion Jones. What got me about Jones though wasn't just his normal position, it was that on the defence where his position extremely well. Watch out for him. Romo did what he does best while his pillow talking pal TO is the man when he has a smile on his face. Cleveland were no match. The Phillies will be a whole new ball game next week at the Texas Stadium and probably our first big test in divisional rivalry.

My sons adopted team, the Bears, shocked the Colts and could be one to watch as the season progresses. The Titans (one of teams I've taken a liking to for some reason) saw off the Jags while the Phillies ravaged a very poor Rams side. The Chargers lost out to the Panthers in an exciting match while the Pats will have to show what they are now made of without Brady even though they beat the Chiefs. I was hoping that last years Dolphins could turn things around and start with a win but that just wasn't to be with Favre throwing the usual bombs on his Jets offence to take the plaudits. A mention here for my old mans team the 49ers. What has happened to them? They could be fighting it out with the Rams this season for the number 1 draft pick for next. The Steelers and the Bills hit the +30s over the Texans and the Seahawks.

The Monday night match ups were intriguing. Was the Viking Peterson going to start after his knee injury in pre-season? Well he did, and didn't look all that worried about it from the little of the match I saw, however, Green Bay and Aaron Rogers saw them off while in the other match Detroit top scored over a struggling Raiders side.

Well, there it is as I saw and read it. Pick holes at will, but I admit my knowledge is no-where near you guys. This is simply a view from an 'amateur fan' which lacks stats but I hope you will agree shows some passion and a willing to learn more as the season continues to make up for it. Now back to Madden 08 .. :p

Good summary. I always find it interesting to see how people got into the game, too. I was pretty much the same as you - followed on C4 for a while, then lost interest, then moved out here and picked it up again as the times are more accessible to watch.

Denver beat Oakland, not Detroit. And I didn't get the comment about Jones on defense - it doesn't help that you have, I think, 4 Jones on the roster including Felix, Marion and Adam. :)

jazman 09-09-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Good summary. I always find it interesting to see how people got into the game, too. I was pretty much the same as you - followed on C4 for a while, then lost interest, then moved out here and picked it up again as the times are more accessible to watch.

Denver beat Oakland, not Detroit. And I didn't get the comment about Jones on defense - it doesn't help that you have, I think, 4 Jones on the roster including Felix, Marion and Adam. :)

Thanks fella, I find it interesting as well.

Yes, oops. Typo there. I know it was late when watching it but I though Felix Jones (the RB) played on the defense a couple of times? Maybe I'm mistaken and they were talking about the Pacman ....

saxoneagle 09-09-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

The Metro tipster picked him to win on the road at 6/5 yesterday. That went well, looks about as good as their Jacksonville tip to win the Super Bowl. :clown:
He didn't get any better. Tavaris = no composure and not helped by sill play calling. Why not try more slants and short inside routes than letting him try to throw the killer ball all the time, which he blatantly can't.

Quote:

:sob:

Seriously, nice work. :p
I got a bit nervous when Rodgers hit Driver for the 50+ yard score which would've meant more throwing by the Vikes and less chances for AP. Ineligible downfield, I've never been so happy to hear it!

Quote:

In this day it shouldn't happen anymore.

(Counting down the days until we kick the Marlins out on the street.)
I've been to Oakland, not for a football game, and the stadiums just don't look right. While it is impressive to use it for both, I actually found it offputting last night seeing the diamond on the turf.

saxoneagle 09-09-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman
Thanks fella, I find it interesting as well.

Yes, oops. Typo there. I know it was late when watching it but I though Felix Jones (the RB) played on the defense a couple of times? Maybe I'm mistaken and they were talking about the Pacman ....


Maybe he did - I didn't watch all of it. It's very confusing though, keeping up with the Jones' :)

saxoneagle 09-09-2008 12:26 PM

Oh, and after Cutler's performance last night, I'd like to refer people back to my 3rd year QB summary posted a few days ago. I f*cking rule right now. :D:clown:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.