CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Martin H 15-10-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16693766)
Doing a Google search for computer help and the results come back from 2002 or there about... totally worthless.

You know that you can filter out the results you get (select it under the tools bit) i.e last day, week, month etc etc

Aquila_17 15-10-2022 08:30 AM

People who orchestrate adverts / pop-ups I can't avoid... satan's sperm I tell you! :moo2:

Isle of Wight 15-10-2022 10:06 AM

The ones I hate are the ones that follow you when you scroll blocking up half the screen

Isle of Wight 15-10-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16693766)
Doing a Google search for computer help and the results come back from 2002 or there about... totally worthless.

Google has got shit and full 1000s of sponsored
Links first before you fine what you searched for

Walter Wort 15-10-2022 10:29 AM

Miriam Margolyes says **** on Radio 4 and parts of the twitterati are hailing it like the second coming.

I've heard she is a queue-jumper with a sense of entitlement as well as a foul mouth.

Isle of Wight 15-10-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16693766)
Doing a Google search for computer help and the results come back from 2002 or there about... totally worthless.

Google has got shit and full 1000s of sponsored Links first before you find what you searched for

JimmyAG 15-10-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Wort (Post 16693923)
Miriam Margolyes says **** on Radio 4 and parts of the twitterati are hailing it like the second coming.

I've heard she is a queue-jumper with a sense of entitlement as well as a foul mouth.

Sounds like an unlikely Venn diagram, Radio 4 listeners | Twitter [ab]users (overlap are probably Conservative MPs)..

WLYWLYAWYPWF 15-10-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 16693913)
Google has got shit and full 1000s of sponsored
Links first before you fine what you searched for

Not if you use proper search parameters

davech 15-10-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16694394)
Not if you use proper search parameters

But "sponsored links" are like the big chunks in a septic tank - they float to the top. What search parameters will stop that?

CP-RJW 15-10-2022 02:49 PM

That tinpot “you’re shit aaaahhh” chant that Leicester fans are infatuated with.

LN1 15-10-2022 03:07 PM

Leicester's pretend HF copy

https://i.imgur.com/LQUtXse.jpg

thereichstuff 15-10-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LN1 (Post 16695100)
Leicester's pretend HF copy

https://i.imgur.com/LQUtXse.jpg

That is pretty poor.

Hedgehog 15-10-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 16693833)
You know that you can filter out the results you get (select it under the tools bit) i.e last day, week, month etc etc

File under "Things I've learnt today". I gave it a try and helps. Just wish you didn't have to set it every time you go into Google.

Martin H 15-10-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16695461)
File under "Things I've learnt today". I gave it a try and helps. Just wish you didn't have to set it every time you go into Google.

Understand what you mean but they already filter on what they expect to be the most relevant responses based on other users and your own usage I think. So most of the time it will probably be what you need but not always. I always filter the youtube searches I do on players but with everything else it varies.

Time is the filter/Tool I use the most but I have found the image size/resolution filters useful on the image searches also handy.

Aki Aki Aki 17-10-2022 11:57 AM

Two and a half hours to get through US immigration at JFK airport. 1,000 arrivals queing, four officials processing. Everytime I come here ...

Aki Aki Aki 17-10-2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 16695138)
That is pretty poor.

Why are they using the Nirvana smiley face emblem ?

PeterH 17-10-2022 05:42 PM

Not an annoyance as such, more of an observation.

Why as it seemingly become acceptable to advertise women's self-pleasuring products on cable TV. Not on obscure channels, but the breaks between movies.

Is this some idea of promoting strong, independent women who shouldn't be ashamed, but should be proud, of having a wank?

Where are the adverts for rubber dolls of varying quality or just the rubber vag and butthole contraption for the strong, independent man? Or are we to accept the sexist idea that a man pleasuring himself this way is the worst kind of sex-case slimey creep.

I am sure there are a few BBSers that can walk this bilnd man through this particular minefield, and help me better understand why my thinking is wrong and old-fashioned on this issue.

big bad John 18-10-2022 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16698538)

I am sure there are a few BBSers that can walk this blind man through this particular minefield, and help me better understand

Maybe we could start Peter by figuring out what made you blind.

Paulinmorden 18-10-2022 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16698042)
Two and a half hours to get through US immigration at JFK airport. 1,000 arrivals queing, four officials processing. Everytime I come here ...

Did you give the staff some verbal abuse?

StonePenge 18-10-2022 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16698042)
Two and a half hours to get through US immigration at JFK airport. 1,000 arrivals queing, four officials processing. Everytime I come here ...

The BA and Jet Blue terminals at JFK tend to be quicker. But overall itís pretty grim most days.

JimmyAG 18-10-2022 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16698091)
Why are they using the Nirvana smiley face emblem ?

Maybe they were getting team spirit and teen spirit mixed up?

Aki Aki Aki 18-10-2022 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 16698781)
Did you give the staff some verbal abuse?

No way, they carry guns and have a high level of self importance. Small mercies, but to be fair the guy who processed me was very polite.

GorBlimey 18-10-2022 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 16698781)
Did you give the staff some verbal abuse?


Rule no.1 on entering America - do not give any official with a gun any type of abuse whatsoever!

Hedgehog 18-10-2022 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 16698781)
Did you give the staff some verbal abuse?

And that would have helped how? :confused:

RazorsEdge 18-10-2022 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 16698781)
Did you give the staff some verbal abuse?

You may have to swap jobs :)

Mind you in my experience, the UK border force staff are way more polite and nice compared to US CBP and many other countries.

RazorsEdge 18-10-2022 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16699405)
And that would have helped how? :confused:

Might have enhanced the experience and Aki would have tasted some US hospitality at JFK. :)

Sick Bucket 18-10-2022 06:40 AM

Hand dryers in public toilets, do they ever work?

Maybe it's just me but 9 times out of 10 I wave and wiggle my hands under them for a few seconds, nothing happens so I give up and leave with wet hands.

Adlerhorst 18-10-2022 08:06 AM

I imagine I have said this before but lighting in virtually all hotel rooms. It’s atrocious. There must be a point to it being so bad as everyone does it, but not sure what it is.

Wayne Andrews is God 18-10-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16699664)
I imagine I have said this before but lighting in virtually all hotel rooms. Itís atrocious. There must be a point to it being so bad as everyone does it, but not sure what it is.

There seems to a recent fad to put cold white light (blue) rather than warm white light in hotel rooms, when the former isnt a relaxing light as it is it proven that adsorbing the light before bed will more likely keep you awake (iphone changing the light on phone for night mode)

CP-RJW 18-10-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16698538)
Not an annoyance as such, more of an observation.

Why as it seemingly become acceptable to advertise women's self-pleasuring products on cable TV. Not on obscure channels, but the breaks between movies.

Is this some idea of promoting strong, independent women who shouldn't be ashamed, but should be proud, of having a wank?

Where are the adverts for rubber dolls of varying quality or just the rubber vag and butthole contraption for the strong, independent man? Or are we to accept the sexist idea that a man pleasuring himself this way is the worst kind of sex-case slimey creep.

I am sure there are a few BBSers that can walk this bilnd man through this particular minefield, and help me better understand why my thinking is wrong and old-fashioned on this issue.

Iíve never seen that in the UK. Guess Chile is leaving us behind in the sexual liberation stakes.

Hector 18-10-2022 02:02 PM

Fans nicking the warm up balls from the oppo when it goes in the crowd. I know Prem clubs have loads of money but its still stealing!

swissroll 18-10-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16698042)
Two and a half hours to get through US immigration at JFK airport. 1,000 arrivals queing, four officials processing. Everytime I come here ...

Sign up to Global Entry - avoid the queues.

RazorsEdge 18-10-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 16699680)
Iíve never seen that in the UK. Guess Chile is leaving us behind in the sexual liberation stakes.

You will find this in the continent too. I remember watching telly in Berlin in my hotel room, and the ad comes up about dildoís. It was funny (well I found it funny)

CT_Palace 18-10-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 16699680)
Iíve never seen that in the UK. Guess Chile is leaving us behind in the sexual liberation stakes.

I'm not sure what channels Peter is watching but I too am as surprised as you. I've never seen such ads here... mind you I haven't watched much late night commercial tv.

simon 18-10-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16698797)
Rule no.1 on entering America - do not give any official with a gun any type of abuse whatsoever!

Back in the late 80s, when I was over there visiting relatives, we crossed the border from Canada to the US. Whilst we were queuing through passport control my brother spotted a massive portrait of Ronnie Reagan. He pointed at it, laughed out loud, and shouted "Look at that idiot!".

Given that I actually wanted to enter the US, I pretended not to know him. He did get through, but I later suggested to him that there was a time and a place for political statements.

Panther 18-10-2022 03:56 PM

Maybe the lack of adverse reaction proved his point?

Isle of Wight 18-10-2022 04:03 PM

That I just noticed my toothpaste is made in China. Why can’t we make toothpaste here or Europe even. Why China. I’m changing brands. Local toothpaste for local people.

PeterH 18-10-2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Wort (Post 16693923)
Miriam Margolyes says **** on Radio 4 and parts of the twitterati are hailing it like the second coming.

I've heard she is a queue-jumper with a sense of entitlement as well as a foul mouth.

A few BBSers really slagged her off before on here if I remember her correctly.

I saw her on the Graham Norton Show this year. Stephen Fry had his tongue so firmly up her arse, it was cringeworthy.

I think she is being marketed as some kind of national treasure.

PeterH 18-10-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 16698780)
Maybe we could start Peter by figuring out what made you blind.

Sightless in my incel way of thinking.

PeterH 18-10-2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 16699680)
Iíve never seen that in the UK. Guess Chile is leaving us behind in the sexual liberation stakes.

When it next appears, I will note down the product and see if the advert is replicated on YouTube.

It appears on my Direct TV, and, NO, I don't subscrive to the porn channels.

PeterH 18-10-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 16699962)
I'm not sure what channels Peter is watching but I too am as surprised as you. I've never seen such ads here... mind you I haven't watched much late night commercial tv.

Get with the programme Granddad.

Maz 18-10-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16700091)
Get with the programme Granddad.

He can only do that if you tell him what channel you are watching.

PeterH 19-10-2022 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16700159)
He can only do that if you tell him what channel you are watching.

He can't. He has dumped cable and even national TV. Too much dross and too many adverts.

He needs to save money to fund his expensive gin habit.

Socrates 19-10-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 16699962)
I'm not sure what channels Peter is watching but I too am as surprised as you. I've never seen such ads here... mind you I haven't watched much late night commercial tv.

I think it might possibly be the ďFeliz AnoĒ channel.

(Tilde deliberately omitted)

Mr Mojo Risin 19-10-2022 10:40 AM

Wrexham Football Club. Ever since a couple of actors took over there has been so much fawning over them. Hope Bromley beat them to promotion.

Aki Aki Aki 19-10-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissroll (Post 16699936)
Sign up to Global Entry - avoid the queues.

Thanks swissroll, I'll have a look into that :p

CT_Palace 19-10-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16701319)
He can't. He has dumped cable and even national TV. Too much dross and too many adverts.

He needs to save money to fund his expensive gin habit.

Priorities :p

Jim Cannon 19-10-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16699664)
I imagine I have said this before but lighting in virtually all hotel rooms. Itís atrocious. There must be a point to it being so bad as everyone does it, but not sure what it is.

It is the switches that drive me bonkers, every time you want to turn a light on or off you end up walking round the room trying every switch going

JimmyAG 19-10-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 16701971)
It is the switches that drive me bonkers, every time you want to turn a light on or off you end up walking round the room trying every switch going

Easier just to leave the mini-bar fridge door open...

thefox 19-10-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16699664)
I imagine I have said this before but lighting in virtually all hotel rooms. Itís atrocious. There must be a point to it being so bad as everyone does it, but not sure what it is.

Prostitutes don't look good in the light.

big bad John 20-10-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16699664)
I imagine I have said this before but lighting in virtually all hotel rooms. Itís atrocious. There must be a point to it being so bad as everyone does it, but not sure what it is.


Everything has to be so complicated. All I want is a shower, where one tap is hot, the other cold and in between a mixer. In nearly every hotel I've been in of late the shower seems to have been designed by some little German git of probably 19 years, who has a masters degree in how to confuse the feck out of every person over the age of 20, who just want a quick shower without having to get out and look up the instructions.
Forget televisions in the room. What happened to just switching it on and pressing a number on the remote. Now there's about six gadgets with various codes that the lads at Bletchley Park would have a job deciphering.:confused:

Prince Phillip 20-10-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 16703809)
Everything has to be so complicated. All I want is a shower, where one tap is hot, the other cold and in between a mixer. In nearly every hotel I've been in of late the shower seems to have been designed by some little German git of probably 19 years, who has a masters degree in how to confuse the feck out of every person over the age of 20, who just want a quick shower without having to get out and look up the instructions.
Forget televisions in the room. What happened to just switching it on and pressing a number on the remote. Now there's about six gadgets with various codes that the lads at Bletchley Park would have a job deciphering.:confused:

.....and then you move on to accessing the hotel's wi-fi.
(and whatever new place for the fixed bottle opener the designer has dreamed up)

rhiannapaul 21-10-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 16701748)
Wrexham Football Club. Ever since a couple of actors took over there has been so much fawning over them. Hope Bromley beat them to promotion.

Their fans are proper neanderthals

Hedgehog 21-10-2022 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 16701748)
Wrexham Football Club. Ever since a couple of actors took over there has been so much fawning over them. Hope Bromley beat them to promotion.

Especially after Bromley beat them at Wembley in the FA Trophy Final.

Still don't know if this was covered in the documentary about them that was out. Only saw a few episodes, so don't know. Would have been worth watching if it was!

Edit: I assume it was covered in the October 12th episode: "Hollywood stars and Wrexham residents descend on London for the Red Dragons' big match at legendary Wembley Stadium".

GorBlimey 21-10-2022 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 16702265)
Prostitutes don't look good in the light.

It does depend on the class of prostitute I guess.

I saw one who turned up via a cab at a rather exclusive hotel in London and it was obvious she wasn't there to meet hubby for drinks and supper.

Son of Selhurst 21-10-2022 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16704452)
It does depend on the class of prostitute I guess.

I saw one who turned up via a cab at a rather exclusive hotel in London and it was obvious she wasn't there to meet hubby for drinks and supper.

Did you get a receipt?

Hedgehog 21-10-2022 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16704447)
Especially after Bromley beat them at Wembley in the FA Trophy Final.

Still don't know if this was covered in the documentary about them that was out. Only saw a few episodes, so don't know. Would have been worth watching if it was!

Edit: I assume it was covered in the October 12th episode: "Hollywood stars and Wrexham residents descend on London for the Red Dragons' big match at legendary Wembley Stadium".

Did some searching around and found this episode and just watched it.

All a bit (well a lot) cringeworthy. Bromley might as well not been there, but I guess that is understandable.

Certainly not in a rush to watch anymore, although I guess seeing them fail in the play-offs might be fun - talk about fans and entitlement...

Martin H 21-10-2022 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16704460)
Did some searching around and found this episode and just watched it.

All a bit (well a lot) cringeworthy. Bromley might as well not been there, but I guess that is understandable.

Certainly not in a rush to watch anymore, although I guess seeing them fail in the play-offs might be fun - talk about fans and entitlement...

I watched the matches in those playoffs (not the docs) and they looked a good side and played some good football. Young tall lad (McAtee?) played in the 10 slot for them and added the class and he was backed up by a hard working, ball winning midfielder sitting behind him and they made the difference. Canít remember who they lost to now but felt like one match too many, too soon.

strawberry mivi 21-10-2022 05:20 PM

Mercedes drivers, specifically on the A1, heading South, in the 40 mph section, in torrential rain, yesterday.
Do these people become twats when handed the keys to their new car or were they twats beforehand?

Stellavista 22-10-2022 01:09 AM

Annoyed that I've gone over on my ankle and inflicted some as yet undefined damage. Possibly ligaments. Hurts like hell. Ended up flat on my back and unable to get up.
Driving to the Isle of Wight tomorrow might be a challenge..

Isle of Wight 22-10-2022 01:34 AM

Iím going in The other direction we can wave as the ferries pass each other :hi:

thefox 22-10-2022 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16706391)
Annoyed that I've gone over on my ankle and inflicted some as yet undefined damage. Possibly ligaments. Hurts like hell. Ended up flat on my back and unable to get up.
Driving to the Isle of Wight tomorrow might be a challenge..

I've just recovered from 3 months of that. Realizing I don't think I will find the energy to start running again in this heat.

Timbo 22-10-2022 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16706391)
Annoyed that I've gone over on my ankle and inflicted some as yet undefined damage. Possibly ligaments. Hurts like hell. Ended up flat on my back and unable to get up.
Driving to the Isle of Wight tomorrow might be a challenge..

Bearing in mind our age, check that your stretched foot / ankle ligament hasn't pulled and broken a metatarsal. Extensive bruising if so

Stellavista 22-10-2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 16706450)
Bearing in mind our age, check that your stretched foot / ankle ligament hasn't pulled and broken a metatarsal. Extensive bruising if so

No external bruising at all, so hopefully it settles down.
But thank you for the tip,Timbo.

art malice 22-10-2022 12:18 PM

‘Straight into his work’.

Get straight into fvck.

Martin H 22-10-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16706391)
Annoyed that I've gone over on my ankle and inflicted some as yet undefined damage. Possibly ligaments. Hurts like hell. Ended up flat on my back and unable to get up.
Driving to the Isle of Wight tomorrow might be a challenge..

Not sure driving is your best idea. Depends which foot and if you have an automatic I guess. Even then, you will probably end up with a nicely swollen ankle, so take it easy.

Hedgehog 23-10-2022 08:48 PM

Getting a package from Amazon and the item inside being broken.

A somewhat fragile item that could be thrown around in the box during transit due to lack of packing material (actually none).

Already arranged return and re-ordered... but still annoying - I already took it over the UPS store only to find it closed on Sundays, adding to the annoyance.

thefox 24-10-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16706476)
No external bruising at all, so hopefully it settles down.
But thank you for the tip,Timbo.

Bruising can take days to appear.

Sick Bucket 24-10-2022 01:41 PM

Frank Lampard.

Haven't read it but just seen on the home page here article where Lampard says ‘It had everything'

Not just a couple of flukey goals this time then Frank?

Polak 24-10-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16706391)
Annoyed that I've gone over on my ankle and inflicted some as yet undefined damage. Possibly ligaments. Hurts like hell. Ended up flat on my back and unable to get up.
Driving to the Isle of Wight tomorrow might be a challenge..

Especially as its across The Solent.

Jim Cannon 24-10-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 16712269)
Frank Lampard.

Haven't read it but just seen on the home page here article where Lampard says ĎIt had everything'

Not just a couple of flukey goals this time then Frank?

Donít worry about Frank, he is just going through a fairly good spell that almost all Everton managers achieve before failing to reach expectations and getting sacked. He will last longer than my original prediction of christmas, but he will be gone within a year

Polak 24-10-2022 03:08 PM

I spent a chunk of my youth trying to persuade bar staff that I was over 18 and could be served in pubs. At the other end of my life now and I was hoping that I didn't look quite as old as I obviously do. I went to watch Beckenham Town v Dagenham and Redbridge and was going to take advantage of the over 60 £5 concession. I even took my 60+ Oyster card as proof. I went through the turnstile and handed over my £5 and got waved through. I was expecting at least a "are you sure that you're over 60?". :D

mexicaneagle 24-10-2022 03:38 PM

The endemic use of the phrase "fever dream"

PeterH 24-10-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 16712347)
I spent a chunk of my youth trying to persuade bar staff that I was over 18 and could be served in pubs. At the other end of my life now and I was hoping that I didn't look quite as old as I obviously do. I went to watch Beckenham Town v Dagenham and Redbridge and was going to take advantage of the over 60 £5 concession. I even took my 60+ Oyster card as proof. I went through the turnstile and handed over my £5 and got waved through. I was expecting at least a "are you sure that you're over 60?". :D

I feel your pain.

6 years back (51 years old), a young student type offered me his seat on the metro. That was a crashing reality check.

Aquila_17 24-10-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16712421)
I feel your pain.

6 years back (51 years old), a young student type offered me his seat on the metro. That was a crashing reality check.


...not sure I should tell you this, but at 64 I'm still getting jaw drops, sceptical looks and told "I thought you were early to mid 50s"... and asked for my Senior Railcard at the ticket office...

... but then I bought my first home at 26 and was asked by a door-to-door canvasser soon afterwards "Is your Mum in?"...to which I replied "Hang on, I'll ring her and see" :supergrin:

Isle of Wight 25-10-2022 12:34 PM

being told to "check my ring" everyday by my phone and not being able to switch it off. I know i sit down at work most of the day but my "ring" is fine thank you very much

KYLIE MINEAGLE 25-10-2022 10:27 PM

Bit of an inconvinence ,but probably better than getting someone else to check your Ring.

west country boy 25-10-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicaneagle (Post 16712373)
The endemic use of the phrase "fever dream"

I'm not sure I've ever heard/read this.

JJ 25-10-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16714934)
I'm not sure I've ever heard/read this.

Apropos of nothing really, but Fevre Dream was a novel by George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) - about vampires on a Mississippi steam boat.

bubbs11 26-10-2022 05:43 AM

Probably outing myself as a proper pedantic and misogynistic dick here; but clicking onto the BBC’s football fixture page to check out today’s games, and finding the women’s champions league and League Cup matches taking priority in the list to a League One game at Sheff W.

I’m all for highlighting the women’s game; think it’s emergence is a fantastic thing; but all feels so force fed and actually unfair on men’s lower league clubs. Notice it on radio sport bulletins and match reports now too where the women’s game takes hierarchy over men’s games outside the Premier League.

Sheff W average 25,000 home gates, yet our sporting media are telling us that a league that averages attendance of 1,000 should take precedence in interest. It’s just weird, annoying and actually really disrespectful to men’s football and their fans outside the Prem.

Hedgehog 26-10-2022 06:16 AM

^ I was thinking the same yesterday.

Also, the womenís rugby World Cup seems to be getting a lot of BBC coverage. Heck probably a year ago I didnít even know women played rugbyÖ but thatís probably me.

Not really sure how popular the sport is.

Polak 26-10-2022 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16715491)
Probably outing myself as a proper pedantic and misogynistic dick here; but clicking onto the BBCís football fixture page to check out todayís games, and finding the womenís champions league and League Cup matches taking priority in the list to a League One game at Sheff W.

Iím all for highlighting the womenís game; think itís emergence is a fantastic thing; but all feels so force fed and actually unfair on menís lower league clubs. Notice it on radio sport bulletins and match reports now too where the womenís game takes hierarchy over menís games outside the Premier League.

Sheff W average 25,000 home gates, yet our sporting media are telling us that a league that averages attendance of 1,000 should take precedence in interest. Itís just weird, annoying and actually really disrespectful to menís football and their fans outside the Prem.

Fully agree.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 26-10-2022 06:33 AM

What I find even more annoying is that they proritise foreign football over the loser British leagues.

Sleeping Giant 26-10-2022 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16715491)
Probably outing myself as a proper pedantic and misogynistic dick here; but clicking onto the BBC’s football fixture page to check out today’s games, and finding the women’s champions league and League Cup matches taking priority in the list to a League One game at Sheff W.

I’m all for highlighting the women’s game; think it’s emergence is a fantastic thing; but all feels so force fed and actually unfair on men’s lower league clubs. Notice it on radio sport bulletins and match reports now too where the women’s game takes hierarchy over men’s games outside the Premier League.

Sheff W average 25,000 home gates, yet our sporting media are telling us that a league that averages attendance of 1,000 should take precedence in interest. It’s just weird, annoying and actually really disrespectful to men’s football and their fans outside the Prem.


Spot on. My little girl plays 3 times a week and seems to have come into it at an amazing time for the womens game but even my mum thinks the situation as you have described it, is utterly ridiculous. It’s like us blokes playing footie for say Liverpool University, fantacising that we play for Liverpool and then actually being treated like we did play for Liverpool. It’s incredible and pretty depressing that it is allowed to happen. The womens product is an entirely different sport really, if it was treated as such I could respect it more, certainly enjoy it more, I resent being told I have to pretend. Whatever the reasons for it, I partly watched an U15’s girls game the other week and I enjoyed it just as I would have, probably, an U15’s boys game. I get it.

olly cromwell 26-10-2022 06:53 AM

The state of the M25 between the A3 and junction 10, the have long grooves in the road (presumably from a previous repair etc) can be quite unsettling as you drive through it as it does catch your wheels, imho dangerous at speed

davech 26-10-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olly cromwell (Post 16715512)
The state of the M25 between the A3 and junction 10, the have long grooves in the road (presumably from a previous repair etc) can be quite unsettling as you drive through it as it does catch your wheels, imho dangerous at speed

It could be in a bad state deliberately? They do that in places to create uneven, noisy rides to slow traffic down, as it lessens/disappears at lower speeds. (I haven't driven in years, but it used to be so).

Or they are just crap at resurfacing...... :D

Timbo 26-10-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16715640)
It could be in a bad state deliberately? They do that in places to create uneven, noisy rides to slow traffic down, as it lessens/disappears at lower speeds. (I haven't driven in years, but it used to be so).

Or they are just crap at resurfacing...... :D

Is this the fairly long section which sounds like you have a puncture? Been like that for years. I hate it

thefox 26-10-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16715505)
What I find even more annoying is that they proritise foreign football over the loser British leagues.

There's no need to be like that.

Jim Cannon 26-10-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16715500)
^ I was thinking the same yesterday.

Also, the womenís rugby World Cup seems to be getting a lot of BBC coverage. Heck probably a year ago I didnít even know women played rugbyÖ but thatís probably me.

Not really sure how popular the sport is.

I would say in this country, all women's sport is getting a lot more coverage than before.

Polak 26-10-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 16715708)
There's no need to be like that.

I thought that but it could be a typo and should read lower leagues?

big bad John 26-10-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16715491)
Probably outing myself as a proper pedantic and misogynistic dick here; but clicking onto the BBCís football fixture page to check out todayís games, and finding the womenís champions league and League Cup matches taking priority in the list to a League One game at Sheff W.

Iím all for highlighting the womenís game; think itís emergence is a fantastic thing; but all feels so force fed and actually unfair on menís lower league clubs. Notice it on radio sport bulletins and match reports now too where the womenís game takes hierarchy over menís games outside the Premier League.

Sheff W average 25,000 home gates, yet our sporting media are telling us that a league that averages attendance of 1,000 should take precedence in interest. Itís just weird, annoying and actually really disrespectful to menís football and their fans outside the Prem.

The other day, right in among the, "Villa get new boss," or "Tottenham are doomed," headlines there was one that was something like, "New mum (can't remember name) scores in thriller."
Whatever next? "Seven month preggers Lil drops one in her goalmouth."

thefox 26-10-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 16715781)
I thought that but it could be a typo and should read lower leagues?

;)

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 26-10-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 16714176)
being told to "check my ring" everyday by my phone and not being able to switch it off. I know i sit down at work most of the day but my "ring" is fine thank you very much

Does it / do you mean your pooper?

ozzieEagle 26-10-2022 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16715505)
What I find even more annoying is that they proritise foreign football over the loser British leagues.

I get pissed of at the A league coverage being 6 pages from the back page, even when it's the local derby of MV v Melbourne City and a sell-out with horse racing and women's netball taking precedence.

At least the flares aren't making headlines in national TV news and front pages anymore.


Biggest piss off though is local Euro snobs

palacemetros 26-10-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16715491)
Probably outing myself as a proper pedantic and misogynistic dick here.............; .

There will be plenty of people about to do that labeling for you Bubbs. That's probably the saddest part of it. You cannot express a perfectly valid opinion or objection without the risk of being called out as something you clearly aren't.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 27-10-2022 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 16715781)
I thought that but it could be a typo and should read lower leagues?

Cheers Polak He knows what I mean:o

KYLIE MINEAGLE 27-10-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 16716028)
I get pissed of at the A league coverage being 6 pages from the back page, even when it's the local derby of MV v Melbourne City and a sell-out with horse racing and women's netball taking precedence.

At least the flares aren't making headlines in national TV news and front pages anymore.


Biggest piss off though is local Euro snobs

Football reporting and broad casting is hope less over here. The Murdoch rags don't report it because they have so much invested in NRL and AFL. The ABC are useless . Mind you the FFA deserve all they get rang amateurs when compared to the other codes, with probably the exception of the chaps game.

Maidstoned Eagle 27-10-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacemetros (Post 16716029)
There will be plenty of people about to do that labeling for you Bubbs. That's probably the saddest part of it. You cannot express a perfectly valid opinion or objection without the risk of being called out as something you clearly aren't.

I think he worded it very well and avoided the usual bigoted and sexist rhetoric usually spouted about this subject. That's probably why his point of view has been treated with respect and spoken about accordingly.

Maz 27-10-2022 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacemetros (Post 16716029)
There will be plenty of people about to do that labeling for you Bubbs. That's probably the saddest part of it. You cannot express a perfectly valid opinion or objection without the risk of being called out as something you clearly aren't.

Ah, the Tommy Robinson approach.

olly cromwell 27-10-2022 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 16715665)
Is this the fairly long section which sounds like you have a puncture? Been like that for years. I hate it

yes the bad surface generally is bad enough but the long ruts are plain stupid


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.