CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 01-02-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elliott
Oh... And WCO is booooooooooooring.

It's all about the option offense, or the Air Coryell/Gibbs offense!

What about the Wishbone?

I'll still say there's a lack of creativity in NFL offences. Much more available to see in the college game.

Grim Reaper 01-02-2008 10:20 PM

Here you go lads.

When the NFL, one of the most innovative sporting brands in the world need new ideas, you can always rely on yours truly to come up with the goods.

Here I am being recognised by the great Mike Carlson in Superbowl week with a suggestion they'll be implementing my ideas at the next Wembley game (they can start by not having LLCOOLSTEVE on the jumbotron LOL)

http://www.nfluk.com/features-display.php?id=2747

Get in!!!!

Hopefull this will help my application for a ticket to see LT and co.!!!

Grim Reaper 01-02-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
Been watching this series on Sky, think it's called America's Game. An hour on each superbowl winner.

Amazing documentarys, best television I have watched in ages

Great programme

I can watch any of these, regardless of the team, and get swept up in the story.

Loved the alligator story from the '72 Dolphins; Bill Curry's comments re. the balck players in Green Bay and many other things as well.

Great stuff

LLCOOLSTEVE 01-02-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
(they can start by not having LLCOOLSTEVE on the jumbotron LOL)

It was the highlight of my day!

davematt 02-02-2008 12:25 AM

Really looking foward to Sunday now! :lux:

The Patriots should win, but I have a feeling a massive upset could be on the cards. The extra pressure of completing this perfect season may have an effect on the Pats.

britabroad 02-02-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
Really looking foward to Sunday now! :lux:

The Patriots should win, but I have a feeling a massive upset could be on the cards. The extra pressure of completing this perfect season may have an effect on the Pats.

Ummmm. Not so sure about that. I tend to think that some of the pressure will have now lifted. I am sure that they were more stressed during the the run up. This could be where the Pats return to top form again, when it counts.

elliott 02-02-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
What about the Wishbone?

I'll still say there's a lack of creativity in NFL offences. Much more available to see in the college game.

I have been having a long discussion with an Aussie who has been long time living in Toronto (well... Hamilton) about NFL, CFL, NCAA football and we basically decided that NFL sucks ass. NFL teams do what they have done for years because everyone has done it for years.

A prime example is the style of kicking. I could have told them that using a guard to toe poke the ball is moronic, but until two Hungarian twins came over in the 70s and introduced the style of "soccer kicking", everyone toe-poked because it was the done thing.

I've incidently just watched a game between the first ever "roundhouse" soccer style kicker and the last remaining NFL toe poke straight on style kicker (Mark Moseley). And Howard Cosell was drunk! Iggles v Jints 1970

elliott 02-02-2008 02:04 AM

Oh... and to answer your question... I play in an Air Coryell singleback, 4 wide offense, which occasionally switches to a jumbo, wishbone base. I have to say that I literally like both equally. Passing is fun because we dominate, but runnning players ragged every play is also fun!

Grim Reaper 02-02-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elliott
I have been having a long discussion with an Aussie who has been long time living in Toronto (well... Hamilton) about NFL, CFL, NCAA football and we basically decided that NFL sucks ass. NFL teams do what they have done for years because everyone has done it for years.

A prime example is the style of kicking. I could have told them that using a guard to toe poke the ball is moronic, but until two Hungarian twins came over in the 70s and introduced the style of "soccer kicking", everyone toe-poked because it was the done thing.

I've incidently just watched a game between the first ever "roundhouse" soccer style kicker and the last remaining NFL toe poke straight on style kicker (Mark Moseley). And Howard Cosell was drunk! Iggles v Jints 1970

Please elaborate on the kickers part. That's interesting. Moseley wasn't all bad though - he did win season MVP in '82!

Who were these twins?

Strathclyde Eagle 02-02-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Great programme

I can watch any of these, regardless of the team, and get swept up in the story.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :p

Benzhiyi 02-02-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Here you go lads.

When the NFL, one of the most innovative sporting brands in the world need new ideas, you can always rely on yours truly to come up with the goods.

Here I am being recognised by the great Mike Carlson in Superbowl week with a suggestion they'll be implementing my ideas at the next Wembley game (they can start by not having LLCOOLSTEVE on the jumbotron LOL)

http://www.nfluk.com/features-display.php?id=2747

Get in!!!!

Hopefull this will help my application for a ticket to see LT and co.!!!

Congrats Cris - but you do know that piece was by Alistair Kirkwood, not Mike Carlson?

elliott 02-02-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Please elaborate on the kickers part. That's interesting. Moseley wasn't all bad though - he did win season MVP in '82!

Who were these twins?

Gogolaks. And I think they were brothers.

http://www.theoffside.com/world-foot...n-the-nfl.html

Pre 1970s, most teams used an O lineman to kick the ball (eg Lou Groza http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Groza). They used to come off a 1 straight step and just toe poke the ball. This was clearly a fairly ineffective method but because it was "what's done", everyone did it.

When the Gogolak's came over, they introduced the round style kicking, like in rugby, where you come in from the side.

This method is more accurate and so has stuck.

And yes... Mark Moseley wasn't particularly bad. He was one of the best kickers.

saxoneagle 02-02-2008 08:25 PM

More rubbish from the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/7213780.stm

Second para:
Scottish-born Tynes slotted home a 47-yard overtime penalty against Green Bay to seal the New York Giant's place in the big game against New England.

Strathclyde Eagle 02-02-2008 09:26 PM

That's just comical.

pauldrulez 02-02-2008 10:20 PM

So, who is watching on BBC and who is watching it on SKY? I think I will stick with Sky because I have watched it the whole way through this year.

davematt 02-02-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
So, who is watching on BBC and who is watching it on SKY? I think I will stick with Sky because I have watched it the whole way through this year.
Sky all the way; on HD :)

Strathclyde Eagle 02-02-2008 11:22 PM

Probably Sky, as I'm the last person in the world who still likes Joe Buck. I like Troy Aikman as well, but I'm not alone in that.

Benzhiyi 03-02-2008 01:16 AM

Also Sky HD. Yesh!!

pauldrulez 03-02-2008 10:08 AM

BBC wont have the highest of viewing figures from true NFL fans judging by the opinions shown on here then.

Brady now confirmed as being fit in the Daily Training Report from the Patriots.

I think Maroney for first touchdown for the Pats at 7/1 is good odds rather than Moss at 9/2.

jazman 03-02-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
Been watching this series on Sky, think it's called America's Game. An hour on each superbowl winner.

Amazing documentarys, best television I have watched in ages

Couldn't agree more. Just watched the Patriots 03 winning season when they picked up Rodney Harrison on a free after release from Chargers. Great programme! :p