CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Sharkba1t 16-09-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 14918022)
It's never the dogs - only the owners.

And i don't own a dog. But, looked after properly, they are brilliant.
Too good for us, tbh.

CK 18-09-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 14917997)
and that annoys you? :lux:

No I just wanted to annoy everybody else:p

old traf 18-09-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 14915268)
I know it appears in various dictionaries. Dictionaries are not manuals of good usage. The answer though is right there in the definition: "Used when the subject of the verb is 'they' used as a singular pronoun". The presence of a word in a dictionary does not imply that a particular usage of it is good, or that there even exists a good usage for it. It merely means that people use it with the meaning given. "Transportation" appears in dictionaries too but it is a horrible word that 90% of the time is used when "transport" will do fine.

"They" can't be used as a singular pronoun because it only agrees with plural nouns. People do use it but it feels to me so ugly, so contrived, so jarring as to make my teeth jangle. It's come about as a result of people not understanding their own language's grammar properly (partly because in English grammatical gender and natural gender usually coincide, although they do not always) and if it becomes part of the normal grammar, as it probably will, this and similar changes will in particular have the effect of making the language - a worldwide lingua franca, of course - harder to learn and use, not easier.

The sentence given as an example is ungrammatical. Fowler proscribes the usage and so does the Complete Plain Words (2014 edition). A singular "themself" was in use from 1400 down to about 1570 but this was considered the real plural version at the time and used to refer to plural nouns.

That's easy for you to say

Olympian2 18-09-2019 09:30 AM

The opening post on this thread has always slightly bugged me, albeit it doesn't annoy me per se.

The OP refers to 'Going to a petrol station which is disguised as a supermarket'. I think they mean 'Going to a supermarket which is disguised as a petrol station'.......

old traf 18-09-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14917490)
A mate of mine didn't have very nice parents so left home when he was 16.
He rented a flat above an Indian restaurant and instead of cooking for himself, he used to have dinner at this restaurant every night after work.
He loved spicy hot food so had a phaal every night.
In the end, the manager told the waiters not to serve him as they feared for his stomach lining.
He still eats this crap to this day though.

I was brought up on curries, had one at least 3 times a week, mostly vindaloo, but could never finish a phaal, not even a quarter,

Isle of Wight 18-09-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14919130)
The opening post on this thread has always slightly bugged me, albeit it doesn't annoy me per se.

The OP refers to 'Going to a petrol station which is disguised as a supermarket'. I think they mean 'Going to a supermarket which is disguised as a petrol station'.......

Having something pointed out that you hadnt noticed, that will now irritate you everytime you see it.

Olympian2 18-09-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14919137)
Having something pointed out that you hadnt noticed, that will now irritate you everytime you see it.

:D :D :D

dannyb1 18-09-2019 10:01 AM

The little bastard plastic ring with wheels in the microwave that aids the glass turning round.

Why the hell can it not be seated in a track? as mine doesn't sit flush in the middle always too far over.

BERT'S HEAD 18-09-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyb1 (Post 14919146)
The little bastard plastic ring with wheels in the microwave that aids the glass turning round.

Why the hell can it not be seated in a track? as mine doesn't sit flush in the middle always too far over.

As disturbing as anything I've read on this thread.

Leopald Stotch 18-09-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14918014)
Happens everywhere. London streets littered with little black bags. If you're lucky, the considerate ones leave the gift in your bin. Too many f*cking dogs and Dickhead dog owners.

And while I'm at it, what is it with dog and cat owners referring to themselves as mummy or daddy? That's just weird.

A couple of months ago I was having my evening jog around Selsdon Woods. It was overcast, windy and started to rain, and as such the paths amongst the trees were much darker than on the average July day. At one point I noticed a bat heading in my direction. Having an illogical fear of anything small that flutters furiously (I was attacked by a psychotic Budgie on several occasions as a child) I performed my finest 'run the f*ck away' only to be concerned by it following me. Eventually as the wind died down the bat hit the floor and didn't move. Feeling courageous, I decided to venture over to see it, only to be confronted by an empty black dog poo bag that someone had tied a knot in the middle, giving the appearance of a small body and 2 wings. And yes, I did feel a complete tit!

chrisophiex 18-09-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 14919153)
A couple of months ago I was having my evening jog around Selsdon Woods. It was overcast, windy and started to rain, and as such the paths amongst the trees were much darker than on the average July day. At one point I noticed a bat heading in my direction. Having an illogical fear of anything small that flutters furiously (I was attacked by a psychotic Budgie on several occasions as a child) I performed my finest 'run the f*ck away' only to be concerned by it following me. Eventually as the wind died down the bat hit the floor and didn't move. Feeling courageous, I decided to venture over to see it, only to be confronted by an empty black dog poo bag that someone had tied a knot in the middle, giving the appearance of a small body and 2 wings. And yes, I did feel a complete tit!


Iíd have gone bat shit crazy at the owner of that dog...

BERT'S HEAD 18-09-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 14919153)
A couple of months ago I was having my evening jog around Selsdon Woods. It was overcast, windy and started to rain, and as such the paths amongst the trees were much darker than on the average July day. At one point I noticed a bat heading in my direction. Having an illogical fear of anything small that flutters furiously (I was attacked by a psychotic Budgie on several occasions as a child) I performed my finest 'run the f*ck away' only to be concerned by it following me. Eventually as the wind died down the bat hit the floor and didn't move. Feeling courageous, I decided to venture over to see it, only to be confronted by an empty black dog poo bag that someone had tied a knot in the middle, giving the appearance of a small body and 2 wings. And yes, I did feel a complete tit!

A bat out of smell.

Prince Phillip 18-09-2019 01:53 PM

Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isn’t as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.

chrisophiex 18-09-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 14919322)
Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isnít as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.


I understand your point, but if the bag is sealed then the public bin is a safe place to put it.

Itís not a very pleasant thought but itís best people use it, rather than not cleaning up after their dog.

I have to say I felt the same as you, before I owned a dog. But, to be fair, it still feels odd to put it in there.

PALACEWU 18-09-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 14919322)
Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isnít as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.

Well, you should be recycling.

simplex 18-09-2019 10:43 PM

That the Reinheitsgebot isn't enforced throughout the EU...

wedgetail 18-09-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplex (Post 14919595)
That the Reinheitsgebot isn't enforced throughout the EU...

What would they serve in Weatherspoons?

chateauferret 19-09-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplex (Post 14919595)
That the Reinheitsgebot isn't enforced throughout the EU...

Would it comply with the Palermo Principle? A law that's enforceable in Palermo is enforceable anywhere.

Slimbloke'H' 19-09-2019 01:28 AM

Trolls bumping threads for a reaction...

cranesparkeagle 19-09-2019 01:39 AM

Had 2 standoffs with female drivers who boneheadedly today attempted to force me to retreat between parked cars as ther was no way to pass. on each occasion they joined along roads after I was occupying the space and where they could easily have made room to pass. Why are people so bloody selfish

Hedgehog 19-09-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle (Post 14919637)
Had 2 standoffs with female drivers who boneheadedly today attempted to force me to retreat between parked cars as ther was no way to pass. on each occasion they joined along roads after I was occupying the space and where they could easily have made room to pass. Why are people so bloody selfish

You could have ended at "female drivers".... JAT

bubbs11 19-09-2019 05:27 AM

Cranesparkeagle....I believe you are talking about that situation when driving in a narrow street and there is an impasse with no room for both cars to pass each other on either side, and so one car has to reverse into a parking space to allow the other through...

Well, to add to your experience, I’ve known at least one female driver in my time who point blank refuses to be the one that finds a space....why??? Because they unashamedly admit they can’t bloody reverse!!!

Personally I would ban all under 25’s, over 70’s and women from driving. It’s the future.

Finbar 19-09-2019 05:31 AM

Audi indicator lights that are a series of dots that light up in a sequence rather than just a light that blinks which has worked perfectly until now, no idea why but I hate them

Maidstoned Eagle 19-09-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 14919635)
Trolls bumping threads for a reaction...

Ban them.

chrisophiex 19-09-2019 11:02 AM

I bet this has come up many times, but people who slurp their hot drinks.

If it’s so hot that you have to inhale it then fecking wait until it cools down.

chrisophiex 19-09-2019 11:06 AM

Now they are doing a funny little grunt after slurping. That’s even more annoying because I know it’s coming after the slurp.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 19-09-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14919888)
Now they are doing a funny little grunt after slurping. Thatís even more annoying because I know itís coming after the slurp.

I work with a person who sits at his desk with fried chicken and eats with his mouth open making the most horrendous sucking, slurping, smacking noises, licking his fingers and moaning that you could possibly imagine. It's like listening to a bad 1970's porn orgy scene but without the warbling music.

Dave McGregor 19-09-2019 12:39 PM

People who clap when their plane lands!

strawberry mivi 19-09-2019 01:34 PM

Things that annoy you
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 14919970)
People who clap when their plane lands!


:wave
Unless forcibly restrained.

Sick Bucket 19-09-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 14919970)
People who clap when their plane lands!

I find that kind of endearing, The Spanish used to do it a lot, I'm sure it must be because they're not used to flying, so for them its a big deal landing safely.

:lux::lux::lux:

CP-RJW 19-09-2019 01:53 PM

People who clap when a film in a cinema ends. The director and cast can’t hear you lads.

chrisophiex 19-09-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14920016)
I find that kind of endearing, The Spanish used to do it a lot, I'm sure it must be because they're not used to flying, so for them its a big deal landing safely.

:lux::lux::lux:


Itís a big deal for all of us when it lands safely :D

chrisophiex 19-09-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920025)
People who clap when a film in a cinema ends. The director and cast canít hear you lads.


I donít mind that. Itís just emotion in a group setup.

Next youíll be saying people who clap and shout for their team when watching football on TV :)

CK 19-09-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920025)
People who clap when a film in a cinema ends. The director and cast canít hear you lads.

Watched The Rose with Bette Midler in a small multiplex called Cinecenter just off Leicester Square many years ago. Obviously small auditorium but the whole audience stood and raised the roof with tears in their eyes. Reckonf if I watched it now I'd be the same.

Wolfnipplechips 19-09-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14920112)
I donít mind that. Itís just emotion in a group setup.

Next youíll be saying people who clap and shout for their team when watching football on TV :)

I stood up and applauded somewhat misty eyed when Ben Stokes smoked Pat Cummins to the cover boundary.

ulysses 19-09-2019 05:48 PM

People who bite the cutlery when eating.

chrisophiex 19-09-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulysses (Post 14920257)
People who bite the cutlery when eating.


Ooof. The old fork scrape. Horrible

Stellavista 19-09-2019 06:27 PM

Why the F**k do lawyers always have to mention that they're lawyers? Like vegans. F*cking dull.

Stellavista 19-09-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14920285)
Why the F**k do lawyers always have to mention that they're lawyers? Like vegans. F*cking dull.

2 minutes later, does it again. F*ck right off.

Sick Bucket 19-09-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14920285)
Why the F**k do lawyers always have to mention that they're lawyers? Like vegans. F*cking dull.

Agreed.

What's even worse is 'do you know who I am!?!?'

Twice I've had that on the phone, Martin Samuels and Paul Gambaccini FFS!!!

On both occasions I was massively underwhelmed :jerkit:

thefox 19-09-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14920285)
Why the F**k do lawyers always have to mention that they're lawyers? Like vegans. F*cking dull.

How about vegan lawyers from Brighton ?

GorBlimey 19-09-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 14919970)
People who clap when their plane lands!


Ever been on a plane with a load of nuns landing in Ireland?


No clapping but I've never seen so many Rosary Beads and Signs of the Cross! :D

little al 20-09-2019 06:39 AM

Greta Thunberg. Go to school you twat. I like the sunshine.

hughff 20-09-2019 07:54 AM

I love Greta. She's awesome.

Andy in Rome 20-09-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 14920337)
Ever been on a plane with a load of nuns landing in Ireland?


No clapping but I've never seen so many Rosary Beads and Signs of the Cross! :D

Once caught a cheap charter flight into Rome - I was the only non-devout Irish Catholic person on board: it must have been a party on their way to see the Pope.

Weather wasn't the best, so it was a bumpy approach into Ciampino - which is renowned for its cross-winds anyway.

First and only time I've been on a plane where everyone except me was reciting - aloud - "Hail Mary, full of grace..." as we came in to land...

thefox 20-09-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy in Rome (Post 14920483)
Once caught a cheap charter flight into Rome - I was the only non-devout Irish Catholic person on board: it must have been a party on their way to see the Pope.

Weather wasn't the best, so it was a bumpy approach into Ciampino - which is renowned for its cross-winds anyway.

First and only time I've been on a plane where everyone except me was reciting - aloud - "Hail Mary, full of grace..." as we came in to land...

How did Mullery react ?

Bintang 20-09-2019 08:09 AM

Was on a flight to Jeddah. The pilot said "if you look out to the left you can see Mecca". Cue everyone rushing to the windows for a look shouting Allah Akbar and the plane tilting to the left.

Bintang 20-09-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14920464)
Greta Thunberg. Go to school you twat. I like the sunshine.

Hope this is a joke.

Adlerhorst 20-09-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 14919970)
People who clap when their plane lands!

I was once working for an oil company that ran out of money, and was desperately trying to dispose of assets in Romania, so I was out there Mon-Friday for about six weeks straight. When they really ran out of money we got told we could no longer afford BA and we were now using Whizz Air to go there and back.

Every single flight everyone bursts into applause. Ever single one. Without fail.

Wolfnipplechips 20-09-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14920488)
Hope this is a joke.

Yes, he is.

Walter Wort 20-09-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14920488)
Hope this is a joke.

If it is it has failed.

Wolfnipplechips 20-09-2019 08:26 AM

Ignore. Move on.

Andy in Rome 20-09-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14920485)
How did Mullery react ?

Dunno - but the Pope told him to f**k off :supergrin:

Reps AJ 20-09-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14920488)
Hope this is a joke.

It must have been. He cant like sunshine and live in Scotland.

little al 20-09-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14920488)
Hope this is a joke.

Nope, preaching to the wrong people, she should sail to China and see how she gets on there.

Hpalace 20-09-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14920578)
Nope, preaching to the wrong people, she should sail to China and see how she gets on there.

I thought you said you don't recycle? Perhaps, just perhaps, you have not been converted?

CK 20-09-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14917077)
Very attractive, no doubt, but about as interesting as Ben Shepherd.

I record it and watch the footie. With her on I watch a bit more.

Wolfnipplechips 20-09-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14920578)
Nope, preaching to the wrong people, she should sail to China and see how she gets on there.

:S:

How predictable.

rhiannapaul 20-09-2019 01:43 PM

Climate change protest is Brazil's goverment bothered? I agree with the sentiment but is it preaching to the converted. I put my milk carton into a green box does Asia or south America?

strawberry mivi 20-09-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14920487)
Was on a flight to Jeddah. The pilot said "if you look out to the left you can see Mecca". Cue everyone rushing to the windows for a look shouting Allah Akbar and the plane tilting to the left.

I thought Muhammed was a prophet, not God?
God is everywhere, not just in Mecca.
IMHO

Joe85 20-09-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 14920754)
I thought Muhammed was a prophet, not God?

God is everywhere, not just in Mecca.

IMHO


Which one?

CT_Palace 20-09-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannapaul (Post 14920688)
Climate change protest is Brazil's goverment bothered? I agree with the sentiment but is it preaching to the converted. I put my milk carton into a green box does Asia or south America?

Errr yes we do (at least in Chile)

CP-RJW 20-09-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannapaul (Post 14920688)
Climate change protest is Brazil's goverment bothered? I agree with the sentiment but is it preaching to the converted. I put my milk carton into a green box does Asia or south America?

Itís clearly not preaching to the converted. Ever heard of Koch industries? Climate change denying corporate dickheads who have the Republican Party by the balls, and force them to ignore environmental issues.

The issue with countries like Brazil, China, India etc is that we industrialised and started all this 250 years ago. Even if the knowledge about climate change is relatively new, it still comes across as very hypocritical to tell them that they canít do it, when we, the United States and Europe in general already has.

PalaceForever 20-09-2019 04:08 PM

Yeah, I really don't think we're the 'converted'.

I have friends who seem to be aware of what climate change is, but they live their life without a second thought regarding it (it's just not something that seems to enter their mind when deciding on something like whether to drive 1 mile down the road to the shops, or whether to just walk). Then you have those with their head in the sand...

I think the protests today are pretty useful for pressuring governments and corporations into thinking a bit more carefully about their decisions, which is a good start.

thefox 20-09-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannapaul (Post 14920688)
Climate change protest is Brazil's goverment bothered? I agree with the sentiment but is it preaching to the converted. I put my milk carton into a green box does Asia or south America?

You do realise all that goes in the recycle bin isn't recycled and it's actually shipped to Asia to be dumped in Asia. Although now they are starting to turn it away.

CP-RJW 20-09-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceForever (Post 14920793)
Yeah, I really don't think we're the 'converted'.

I have friends who seem to be aware of what climate change is, but they live their life without a second thought regarding it (it's just not something that seems to enter their mind when deciding on something like whether to drive 1 mile down the road to the shops, or whether to just walk). Then you have those with their head in the sand...

I think the protests today are pretty useful for pressuring governments and corporations into thinking a bit more carefully about their decisions, which is a good start.

Anyone seriously converted and invested in reducing climate change would seriously reduce their meat and dairy intake (particularly anything that comes from a cow). As things stand though, I think most people haven’t.

CP-RJW 20-09-2019 05:33 PM

Cadbury secret Santa ads and Christmas themed chocolate in the co op. It’s ******* September.

cappuccinoeagle 20-09-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14920578)
Nope, preaching to the wrong people, she should sail to China and see how she gets on there.


Yes, there are lots of issues in the developing world ( China, India etc).
But she is in the USA, where Toxic Trump is gradually unraveling the work done by Obamaís administration.
He has also axed Californiaís right to set its own auto emission levels.

Isle of Wight 20-09-2019 07:06 PM

That the queue for the KFC drive-in blocked the road and EVERY person in their cars and in KFC where huge. They can’t ALL have thyroid problems.

wedgetail 20-09-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920799)
Anyone seriously converted and invested in reducing climate change would seriously reduce their meat and dairy intake (particularly anything that comes from a cow). As things stand though, I think most people haven’t.

Fossil fuel burning causes climate change not cows.

CP-RJW 20-09-2019 07:41 PM

You know what produces 24% of greenhouse gas emissions? Deforestation. 70% of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon is for cattle ranching. This happens worldwide, forests cleared for meat and dairy production. Obviously there’s a high production of methane too, a greenhouse gas. At the end of the day, any big change to fossil fuel emissions from corporations will come from the government. The best thing a normal person can do to reduce their carbon footprint is to reduce their meat and dairy intake, or even better, go vegan. Veg just takes up far less space, and obviously doesn’t produce methane.

I don’t expect single mums working two jobs to do this. But if you’d middle class or better, there’s no excuse not to.

Isle of Wight 20-09-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920879)
You know what produces 24% of greenhouse gas emissions? Deforestation. 70% of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon is for cattle ranching. This happens worldwide, forests cleared for meat and dairy production. Obviously thereís a high production of methane too, a greenhouse gas. At the end of the day, any big change to fossil fuel emissions from corporations will come from the government. The best thing a normal person can do to reduce their carbon footprint is to reduce their meat and dairy intake, or even better, go vegan. Veg just takes up far less space, and obviously doesnít produce methane.

I donít expect single mums working two jobs to do this. But if youíd middle class or better, thereís no excuse not to.

Yep deforestation is the number 2 for carbon dioxide and cattle is the number 1 for methane. Combined they are by far the biggest contributor. Veggie stuff IS getting better and I hope people do change and think about what they eat. Even if itís going veggie once a week it would help.

Nth Kent Eagle 20-09-2019 10:30 PM

Living in Kent I have to listen to the local news talking about Brighton and even worse listening to them discussing their football team.

Son of Selhurst 20-09-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920819)
Cadbury secret Santa ads and Christmas themed chocolate in the co op. Itís ******* September.

Yep. Clinton's already has Christmas cards on display front and centre. And Sainsbury's are selling mince pies.

Two shops I will no longer be frequenting

Nth Kent Eagle 20-09-2019 10:52 PM

Mince pies ought to be a year round product.

GorBlimey 21-09-2019 01:18 AM

The Sixt car rental TV adverts.


F*ck right off - I will never rent a car from you because of them.

little al 21-09-2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hpalace (Post 14920597)
I thought you said you don't recycle? Perhaps, just perhaps, you have not been converted?

I don't. I am no convert.

thefox 21-09-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920879)
You know what produces 24% of greenhouse gas emissions? Deforestation. 70% of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon is for cattle ranching. This happens worldwide, forests cleared for meat and dairy production. Obviously thereís a high production of methane too, a greenhouse gas. At the end of the day, any big change to fossil fuel emissions from corporations will come from the government. The best thing a normal person can do to reduce their carbon footprint is to reduce their meat and dairy intake, or even better, go vegan. Veg just takes up far less space, and obviously doesnít produce methane.

I donít expect single mums working two jobs to do this. But if youíd middle class or better, thereís no excuse not to.

Do you remember when greenies were praising the use of vegetable and palm oils for bio-oils instead of petrol ? Look what happened, the deforestation to produce it they are now campaigning against. The same will happen for soy etc production.

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14921027)
Do you remember when greenies were praising the use of vegetable and palm oils for bio-oils instead of petrol ? Look what happened, the deforestation to produce it they are now campaigning against. The same will happen for soy etc production.

Yeah, soy is problematic, requires lots of water I believe, but it’s still far better for the environment than meat. No one is claiming that veganism is perfect, it’s just the best option we have at the moment.

Blind_Eagle 21-09-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920879)
Veg just takes up far less space, and obviously doesnít produce methane.

Plants do produce methane.

davech 21-09-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920819)
Cadbury secret Santa ads and Christmas themed chocolate in the co op. Itís ******* September.

Before you know it they will be playing Chris De Burgh...

little al 21-09-2019 10:26 AM

Sod being a vegan.

wedgetail 21-09-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14921038)
Yeah, soy is problematic, requires lots of water I believe, but itís still far better for the environment than meat. No one is claiming that veganism is perfect, itís just the best option we have at the moment.

Burning fossil fuels is the cause of global warming.

davech 21-09-2019 11:16 AM

Are we going to have to chop down more trees to be able grow all the extra vegetables etc required? What if the entire world population suddenly started farting more because of all the vegetable matter they were ingesting?

Skiddo 21-09-2019 11:22 AM

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...10021.html?amp

How edgy!

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 14921138)
Burning fossil fuels is the cause of global warming.

See post 28970.

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 14921084)
Plants do produce methane.

Didnít know that. Donít think it comes anywhere close to balancing the emissions between meat and plants though.

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14921087)
Before you know it they will be playing Chris De Burgh...

Doesnít matter what time of year it is, itís never appropriate to play Chris De Burgh.

Little Fozzie 21-09-2019 11:26 AM

People who have a problem with others trying to make the world a better place to live.

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14921123)
Sod being a vegan.

Don’t even need to go full vegan, although obviously it’s ideal. Just eating less meat and dairy would make you better than most of the population, who already eat too much of it anyway.

davech 21-09-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14921160)
Doesnít matter what time of year it is, itís never appropriate to play Chris De Burgh.

Repped :p

Yoda 21-09-2019 11:35 AM

Packing lists that schools give parents for residential trips.

They want you to pack changes of clothes, coats, shoes, towels, toiletries, medicines, bed linen, books, sometimes even laptops.

That’s all fine....but then they want this in a small overnight bag even though they’re away for days. Grrr.

Yoda 21-09-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14921164)
Donít even need to go full vegan, although obviously itís ideal. Just eating less meat and dairy would make you better than most of the population, who already eat too much of it anyway.

Give it time....thereís actually quite a lot of evidence now that well managed grasslands munched by livestock are better for the environment than an arable crop can be. Think of those dustballs where theyíve stripped the soil of nutrients growing a crop too intensely. At least the cows give back some nutrients to the soil via fertiliser.

Many experts are saying itís more important to manage the land sustainably and not be over intensive (be it dairy farming or arable), rather than it being a simple conclusion that dairy is bad and that therefore arable is good.

macstar 21-09-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 14921174)
Give it time....thereís actually quite a lot of evidence now that well managed grasslands munched by livestock are better for the environment than an arable crop can be. Think of those dustballs where theyíve stripped the soil of nutrients growing a crop too intensely. At least the cows give back some nutrients to the soil via fertiliser.

Many experts are saying itís more important to manage the land sustainably and not be over intensive (be it dairy farming or arable), rather than it being a simple conclusion that dairy is bad and that therefore arable is good.

Please, dont talk sense, thats not allowed on here:hmph:

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 14921174)
Give it time....thereís actually quite a lot of evidence now that well managed grasslands munched by livestock are better for the environment than an arable crop can be. Think of those dustballs where theyíve stripped the soil of nutrients growing a crop too intensely. At least the cows give back some nutrients to the soil via fertiliser.

Many experts are saying itís more important to manage the land sustainably and not be over intensive (be it dairy farming or arable), rather than it being a simple conclusion that dairy is bad and that therefore arable is good.

Of course, I’m not proposing we get rid of all livestock, or all meat and dairy. The ideal situation would be everyone eating meat and dairy in moderation. But I don’t think that’s realistic. Most people are going to keep eating more meat and dairy than they need. Therefore, to make any real impact, a dedicated minority are going to have to go full vegan. And it should be the middle and upper classes, as they have the time and money to experiment with new foods, learn different recipes, afford the couple of supplements that are needed etc.

little al 21-09-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14921164)
Donít even need to go full vegan, although obviously itís ideal. Just eating less meat and dairy would make you better than most of the population, who already eat too much of it anyway.

I double up on meat to counteract the vegans.

CP-RJW 21-09-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14921197)
I double up on meat to counteract the vegans.

Ooh, how edgy.

art malice 21-09-2019 12:17 PM

Oracy.

Blind_Eagle 21-09-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14921159)
Didn’t know that. Don’t think it comes anywhere close to balancing the emissions between meat and plants though.

You didn’t know that, yet you are confident enough to state you don’t “think it comes anywhere close to balancing the emissions between meat and plants”

What exactly are you basing that on, other than your own prejudices? :)

PALACEWU 21-09-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14920819)
Cadbury secret Santa ads and Christmas themed chocolate in the co op. Itís ******* September.

I get annoyed at the Halloween shit :veryangry


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.