CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Funk Butter 23-09-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
Interesting to see that the San Diego player who dived at Brady's knee has been fined $15,000 for it. Haven't seen the incident other than live but while it scared me, I didn't think the defender had done enough for that kind of action, it's not quite the same as a helmet-to-helmet.

I don't remember exactly how it went down, but I remember when I saw it that I thought it looked bad/dirty and I couldn't believe there wasn't a flag on the play. I mean, it's called the damn Brady Rule.

Strathclyde Eagle 24-09-2011 10:03 PM

One of these days retribution is going to come at some of these players. Run a power sweep in someone's direction and have two blockers go for someone's knees.

Which I'm surprised no-one did for Kansas City last week as Detroit classlessly went for it on 4th and goal when already up 41-3. I'd have run a power sweep towards the Detroit bench where Matthew Stafford was chilling out. Bush league Detroit, bush league.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
Tough week on the suicide pool. The obvious pick would be San Diego, but I've been burned by them before. Even though that was the Schottenheimer days, I don't trust Norv Turner any more. Wait, I take that back, Schottenheimer is the worst.

I've taken San Diego, because they're the biggest home favourite. Does leave a horrible feeling though, knowing that if one talented team could blow that game it would be the Chargers.

peagle 24-09-2011 10:30 PM

Paul (or someone else) do you know who the back-up punter is if Mesko can't play tomorrow? I know Welker and Ocho have kicked FGs before. Or do you think we'll just go for it on every 4th down (like that stupid one in the 4th Quarter v Chargers) as Bill does like being aggressive and it'd be a good excuse.

pauldrulez 24-09-2011 11:35 PM

Mesko will play otherwise they'd have picked up a free agent.

If he gets hurt, expect a mixture of Gostkowski punts and Brady's quick kicks on 4th down.

pauldrulez 24-09-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
One of these days retribution is going to come at some of these players. Run a power sweep in someone's direction and have two blockers go for someone's knees.

Which I'm surprised no-one did for Kansas City last week as Detroit classlessly went for it on 4th and goal when already up 41-3. I'd have run a power sweep towards the Detroit bench where Matthew Stafford was chilling out. Bush league Detroit, bush league.

I've taken San Diego, because they're the biggest home favourite. Does leave a horrible feeling though, knowing that if one talented team could blow that game it would be the Chargers.

I'm glad Detroit went for it. Todd Haley is an arsehole. Plus, a Field Goal is just adding points.

And Haley is an arsehole.

Serves him right that everything is going wrong, he needs to grow up.

Funk Butter 24-09-2011 11:55 PM

With Matt Kemp going for the triple crown in baseball, it's interesting to note that Sammy Baugh had his own version of the triple crown in the NFL. He led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. He still holds the NFL record for punting average for a season and is tied for 14th for most interceptions in a season with 11 interceptions in 10 games. Funny, looking at the records, the most recent season with 11 or more interceptions by a single player was 1981 by Everson Walls. (Don't even think that guy was drafted) As much as teams toss the ball around nowadays, I would figure that somebody would have a big year since then. There's only been 7 seasons with double digit interceptions in the last 20 years.

Strathclyde Eagle 24-09-2011 11:56 PM

Re: Paul's points regarding KC vs Detroit.

So with a FG they would have been up 44-3 instead of 48-3, it's still a beating, there's just no need to rub salt into the wounds, whatever you think of Haley.

Strathclyde Eagle 24-09-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
With Matt Kemp going for the triple crown in baseball, it's interesting to note that Sammy Baugh had his own version of the triple crown in the NFL. He led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. He still holds the NFL record for punting average for a season and is tied for 14th for most interceptions in a season with 11 interceptions in 10 games. Funny, looking at the records, the most recent season with 11 or more interceptions by a single player was 1981 by Everson Walls. (Don't even think that guy was drafted) As much as teams toss the ball around nowadays, I would figure that somebody would have a big year since then. There's only been 7 seasons with double digit interceptions in the last 20 years.

I guess that's because people tend to know who good corners are these days, and therefore they tend to be avoided more often.

Strathclyde Eagle 25-09-2011 12:03 AM

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_i...ture_week_.png

:D

jazman 25-09-2011 11:17 AM

It's NFL Gameday baby :lux:

pauldrulez 25-09-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle

I'd be praying for the Steelers to beat the Ravens. Chargers to beat the Jets and Texans, then Pats-Chargers in the AFCCG. Norv would find a way to blow it up.

pauldrulez 25-09-2011 12:45 PM

As for today, expecting a loss either today or next Sunday to Oakland.

Lots of injuries. Haynesworth, Hernandez, Vollmer and Chung all out today. All starters. Mike Wright also out as well meaning we are very low on D-Line.

34-31 Bills.

jazman 25-09-2011 12:50 PM

Got a friend who is in Buffalo today for the game. Shame though, she's a Pats fan ... ;)

ardeo 25-09-2011 01:22 PM

Does anyone fancy meeting up today in London to watch the games?

Was thinking sports cafe.

pauldrulez 25-09-2011 01:23 PM

I would, but I may have other plans. Likely heading to one of the Bodeans. They have Pats-Bills on.

jazman 25-09-2011 01:41 PM

Not very hopeful for Monday night at this point, potentially Romo, Bryant and Jones out is pretty tough.

pauldrulez 25-09-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Not very hopeful for Monday night at this point, potentially Romo, Bryant and Jones out is pretty tough.

And Austin already declared out.

I think Bryant and Romo play, and Jones from what I read this morning.

ardeo 25-09-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
I would, but I may have other plans. Likely heading to one of the Bodeans. They have Pats-Bills on.

Ok no problem

pauldrulez 25-09-2011 06:02 PM

Dowling the last inactive for the Pats.

So, starting Safety, starting CB, RT, TE/WR and both the DT passrushers all out.

So many injuries that we have Ryan Mallett active.

Great. Just Great.

elliott 25-09-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
One of these days retribution is going to come at some of these players. Run a power sweep in someone's direction and have two blockers go for someone's knees.


Thats a standard play for my boys. Except they call it rocket toss. But then they're military guys, rather than the Sissy League for Girls or whatever the Sunday lot call themselves.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.