CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 26-09-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Good comment by a commentator about eagles being a spurt team, is definitely the case. No consistency and when we are on top not getting enough points on the board.

Our defence is half good and half terrible so easy to exploit and our play calling on o is still abysmal.

Great to see bills comeback and seahawks pick up a win.

I still maintain based on the matchup Vick over stafford this week, but things don't always work out, I also think you are slightly anti eagles Paul.

If skins win tonight we will be in the crazy situation where bills and skins top the easts at 3-0

No chance. Stafford had the easier matchup. I'm not anti-Eagles. I hated the Cowboys for a long time. The only team in the NFC East I can't stand are mini-Manning's Giants.

Stafford vs an ageing Vikings Defense with no CB in the world capable of shutting down a healthy Calvin Johnson. Was never in doubt once the O-Line decided they wanted to keep Stafford on his feet.

Latvian Eagle 26-09-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
EFA.

I read some guy slagging off Cam Newton on NFL.com earlier... Lol! As long as win I don't care! He was saying Gabbert had a better game than C-Newt! Having not seen the game I can't comment but it would seem he's been a bit of a revelation even with a 1-2 record!

jazman 26-09-2011 06:24 PM

Very interesting comment on the commentary last night with a suggestion that the lock out has seen the players in at safety suffering more than usual and the amount of busted coverages so far ... apparantly takes them more time to get to grips with those team mates in the nearest positions, i.e. knowing how they play and where they are going to be ...

Funk Butter 26-09-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Very interesting comment on the commentary last night with a suggestion that the lock out has seen the players in at safety suffering more than usual and the amount of busted coverages so far ... apparantly takes them more time to get to grips with those team mates in the nearest positions, i.e. knowing how they play and where they are going to be ...

Was that in the St Louis game after they let a rookie get 3 TDs on his first 3 NFL catches? I think they were just yapping their lips. Safeties playing against the Seahawks, Rams, Jaguars and Chiefs don't seem to be having a problem. It's all about matchups and personnel. These guys are professionals that have been playing for years and years, they shouldn't use an excuse that they didn't have a full training camp.

SteveyHawking 26-09-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Well the Eagles could use that as an excuse although in reality we've failed to adequately replace Dawkins and Mikell effectively in the last few years. Exactly the same at linebacker with Trotter never being replaced (first time round of course!) and on the o-line with Thomas and Runyan not being replaced properly.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-09-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
I read some guy slagging off Cam Newton on NFL.com earlier... Lol! As long as win I don't care! He was saying Gabbert had a better game than C-Newt! Having not seen the game I can't comment but it would seem he's been a bit of a revelation even with a 1-2 record!

Bizarrely, there are a number of 'local' fans who cannot wait for Cam to fail, seemingly just so they can say 'told you so'. Some say it's a bit of a southern thing with some of the more 'rustic' people not being comfortable with a black guy as QB and face of the franchise, but generally/nationally speaking there seems to be a hell of a lot of bitchiness towards rookies (the higher the pick) even from their own fans.

Don't really understand it myself. Even if he hadn't performed as well as he has so far, Newton has at least worked damned hard to give him the best possible chance to succeed, and said and done all the right things since he joined the Panthers. For that alone, he deserves some praise. If he'd have come in and Jamarcus Russelled up the place, I'd have understood it.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of people are totally behind him though - and a lot of neutral commentators have had to eat their words a bit so far, most notably Kurt Warner and Terry Bradshaw.

The biggest criticism I'd have of him so far is his accuracy. He has a tendency to throw a bit high for long throws and a bit low for shorter ones. But his ability to extend the play with his legs and improvise like when he still gets off a throw whilst being tackled more than makes up for it. When it all comes together, he will be a force.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-09-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle

Also, LV he took a lot of stick for saying he wanted to be known as 'an entertainer and an icon' just ahead of the draft.

Obviously, that caused a lot of people to have him down as a self-interested big time Charlie. But despite his great numbers he posted in those two losses, people here were very impressed with his reaction to not winning. Not sure if it was a bit put-on, but he was pissed. He seems to have been welcomed into the dressing room by the vets as very much a 'team man'.

saxoneagle 26-09-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
Bizarrely, there are a number of 'local' fans who cannot wait for Cam to fail, seemingly just so they can say 'told you so'. Some say it's a bit of a southern thing with some of the more 'rustic' people not being comfortable with a black guy as QB and face of the franchise, but generally/nationally speaking there seems to be a hell of a lot of bitchiness towards rookies (the higher the pick) even from their own fans.

Don't really understand it myself. Even if he hadn't performed as well as he has so far, Newton has at least worked damned hard to give him the best possible chance to succeed, and said and done all the right things since he joined the Panthers. For that alone, he deserves some praise. If he'd have come in and Jamarcus Russelled up the place, I'd have understood it.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of people are totally behind him though - and a lot of neutral commentators have had to eat their words a bit so far, most notably Kurt Warner and Terry Bradshaw.

The biggest criticism I'd have of him so far is his accuracy. He has a tendency to throw a bit high for long throws and a bit low for shorter ones. But his ability to extend the play with his legs and improvise like when he still gets off a throw whilst being tackled more than makes up for it. When it all comes together, he will be a force.

There are black people in the NFL? Well I never... :)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-09-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
There are black people in the NFL? Well I never... :)

Yes, obviously such people are roundly ridiculed, but as you're probably aware, it is a firm belief of some that the quarterback position in particular can be the subject of racist undertones. I think Warren Moon alleged that a lot of the criticism from Newton wouldn't have been directed at him if he weren't black. For instance, people like VHA mentioning him in the same sentence as Jamarcus Russell a few posts above.

pauldrulez 26-09-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Think the lockout has definitely hurt the Defenses.

Those with new schemes/new coaches especially.

Mayo has gone from ILB to WLB in a 4-3 and is struggling at times. Spikes is just completely lost out there as well.

McCourty is the most interesting Pats case of the lockout. He's gone from Probowler in his first year to DUD in his 2nd year. Maybe, in his first training camp, he practiced 1 on 1 with Randy Moss day in, day out. And then in the season, he picked off passes vs Moss, Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards etc etc. All big receivers.

This year, smaller camp. He practices against Ocho (DUD), Welker and Branch who are small.

Then gets matched up with Marshall, Vincent Jackson and Stevie Johnson (all big, strong, fast) and gets beaten like a drum.

Looking across the league, Asomugha is struggling in Philly in a new system.

But, look at Houston, Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning look pretty good in the Texans Secondary.

The Lock Out has definitely had an effect, but the defenses are going to get better as the year goes on.

Funk Butter 26-09-2011 11:23 PM

I don't think you can say the lockout has had a specific impact on any particular area, but more of a general overall effect. Look at the Falcons. They've had 23 penalties, given up 13 sacks and had 8 turnovers in 3 games. Last season, they had 58 penalties, gave up 23 sacks and had 17 turnovers. They are halfway to all those stats after 3 games. Now, I thought the Falcons would be way ahead of the game because they have basically the same team and same coaching staff in place. But it hasn't been that way at all.

One thing that would bother me if I was a coach, are guys that came into the short training camps out of shape and not prepared. If you can't handle getting in playing shape by yourself, then that would be a big problem for me.

Ridcully 26-09-2011 11:26 PM

3-0 for the Lions, well I never!!

jazman 26-09-2011 11:28 PM

Agreed, I have liked watching the Lions so far this season as I have the Bills. Its what keeps the NFL the game it is as you always get teams you never really expect to come through after some very poor seasons. I remember some great battles the Cowboys had with the Lions in the 90s when they had Barry Sanders as their RB.

Dave Nunn 27-09-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Unhappy night on here.

Pats lose
Dolphins lose
Eagles lose
Falcons losing
Cowboys losing tomorrow :moo: ;)

Only Packers winning of the main teams supported

Woof Woof!!! I'm happy!!! :lux:

Dave Nunn 27-09-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
ooohhhh I am sooooooo tempted ................ But I won't! Unlucky Dunta and a speedy recovery to you :moo: :cool: :)

Are you on the happy pills again? ;)

oz_da II 27-09-2011 03:43 AM

Battle of the Aussie punters on MNF.

Couple of nice punts from both. :p

oz_da II 27-09-2011 03:51 AM

Oooops big f*** up from Big Sav. :clown:

LLCOOLSTEVE 27-09-2011 05:29 AM

Dallas centre = :clown:

oz_da II 27-09-2011 05:32 AM

Costa could be in the dole queue tomorrow.

jazman 27-09-2011 09:32 AM

:hi: :lux: :)

Whatever you say about Romo he has a hell of a lot of guts and won us that game last night. And the D stepped up as well with an awesome performance to back him up, shame the offence offered little to support Romo, but hey, massive win that one. Chuffed as a pig in shit this morning.

So far my predictions have come in for us so far L-W-W ....