CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

y2rich 23-02-2011 04:26 PM

Looks like I'm donning my pads again this season. Just enquired about joining up with the MK City Pathfinders next month :/

elliott 23-02-2011 04:30 PM

my mates at peterborough saxons

y2rich 23-02-2011 05:10 PM

Played against them a couple of seasons ago for the Cobras. Almost died in the heat. Was 90+ degrees and no wind or shade. Managed a few tackles for a loss from DE though :D

peagle 23-02-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2rich
Looks like I'm donning my pads again this season. Just enquired about joining up with the MK City Pathfinders next month :/

I'm very interested in playing a bit of NFL. Any teams in Surrey? From your experience how many training sessions would there likely be per week etc.? Season dates?

Swanny32 23-02-2011 09:05 PM

I expressed an interest in playing but then Rich told me how much it would cost which was then confirmed by the Colchester Gladiators left tackle on Superbowl Sunday. I'll stay as an armchair fan me thinks.

y2rich 23-02-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
I'm very interested in playing a bit of NFL. Any teams in Surrey? From your experience how many training sessions would there likely be per week etc.? Season dates?

2 top division teams in Surrey which unless you're bloody good you'd just end up rotting away on the sidelines for. Farnham Knights (good laugh, work well with rookies) and London Cobras (Who I played for, based in Selhurst, pride themselves on being an almost professional outfit. Britball legends Tony Allen, Gerry Anderson and Vic Muhammad coach there or at least did when I played. Very difficult to break into their lineup and get any significant time).

Other than that theres a couple of teams in Kent and one in Sussex that are a bit lower down the ladder that are also fairly friendly squads when I've met up with them.

Traning wise most teams in the offseason will train twice a week and then during the season will train one midweek and weekends when there isn't a game. When I last played season ran from May-September although that may all have changed as BAFL doesn't exist anymore and I don't know how the new leagues are run, what divisions teams are in anymore etc.

Money wise you're probably looking at about 300 initial outlay for kit (helmet, facemask, shoulder pads, girdle, thigh, knee, tailbone pads, gumshield etc.), 250 a season for membership/cost and insurance and we used to have to pay 10-25 per game for matchday costs, medical supplies, transport etc. but that varies per team and how much sponsorship/money raising they do.

You might want to see if there are any flag teams around before you commit to playing kitted ball.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 23-02-2011 09:40 PM

You chaps should start a 'Fight Club' type thing where you play without pads and simply beat the shit out of each other before returning to work the next day battered and bruised, and nodding at each other when you meet in the street etc.

y2rich 23-02-2011 09:41 PM

I could barely walk the day after I'd played a game in pads, let alone without ;)

Swanny32 23-02-2011 09:51 PM

For those of you who haven't heard, Shockey released by the Saints, Champ Bailey has signed a 4 year contract extension with the Broncos and the CBA talks are still on going although the media are expecting that by the 3rd March all the two parties will have agreed on is to extend the deadline by 1-2 weeks.

Combine tomorrow! Yay!

elliott 23-02-2011 09:58 PM

Rich, whats your real name? I wonder how many friends in common we have. I've got friends playing at O's, Cobras and Exiles as well as the Glads.

I'm considering taking up a position with the University league for next year. Ive just got to work out my plans for next year

y2rich 23-02-2011 10:01 PM

Rich ;) Surname is Smith. Only spent just over a year at the Cobras and a couple up at Bangor Uni as they got set up (don't laugh)

elliott 23-02-2011 10:03 PM

oh right. nice one!

i refereed one of bangor's first games last year when they travelled to sheffield.

such a great bunch of lads, it was a real shame that theyve struggled.

y2rich 23-02-2011 10:08 PM

Aye the problem they had was that the big strong athletic lads they had at the start all graduated before they even played their first game leaving them with a couple of average players at best as the most experienced. Didn't help that the guy that ran it insisted on playing TE and LB despite being a skinny beanpole that couldn't catch, block, play coverage, shed a block or tackle ;)

elliott 23-02-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Aye the problem they had was that the big strong athletic lads they had at the start all graduated before they even played their first game leaving them with a couple of average players at best as the most experienced. Didn't help that the guy that ran it insisted on playing TE and LB despite being a skinny beanpole that couldn't catch, block, play coverage, shed a block or tackle ;)

Yeh. Some of their players were truly dreadful. We were 34-0 up after 2 mins 53.

I think they'll fold now though, which is a massive shame. Its a shame to see any team fold.

y2rich 23-02-2011 10:14 PM

Aye I think they will as well. If the team had started in my first year rather than my third then they'd be absolutely fine. Don't know whether it was the change in the sports courses the Uni did or whether it was just pot luck but there was a massive decline in lads that were big and strong but didn't play rugby. The success of the Rugby League team may also have been a factor as everyone wanted to play for them instead of trying Football.

jazman 23-02-2011 10:39 PM

Great reading fellas. Any good going down to watch any of these teams? Where are the ones in Kent and Sussex?

y2rich 23-02-2011 11:40 PM

Most clubs put on a semi decent gameday experience, Kent Exiles and Ipswich were the two best I played at for the whole event of it.

The Exiles are near Crockenhill in Kent and the Sussex Thunder are at Broadbridge Heath in Horsham.

y2rich 23-02-2011 11:41 PM

You've also got the East Kent Mavericks who are over in Canterbury I believe. I've never played them though.

jazman 23-02-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Most clubs put on a semi decent gameday experience, Kent Exiles and Ipswich were the two best I played at for the whole event of it.

The Exiles are near Crockenhill in Kent and the Sussex Thunder are at Broadbridge Heath in Horsham.

Both are relatively close to me actually, will have to try and catch a game. Thanks fella.

peagle 23-02-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

2 top division teams in Surrey which unless you're bloody good you'd just end up rotting away on the sidelines for. Farnham Knights (good laugh, work well with rookies) and London Cobras (Who I played for, based in Selhurst, pride themselves on being an almost professional outfit. Britball legends Tony Allen, Gerry Anderson and Vic Muhammad coach there or at least did when I played. Very difficult to break into their lineup and get any significant time).

Other than that theres a couple of teams in Kent and one in Sussex that are a bit lower down the ladder that are also fairly friendly squads when I've met up with them.

Traning wise most teams in the offseason will train twice a week and then during the season will train one midweek and weekends when there isn't a game. When I last played season ran from May-September although that may all have changed as BAFL doesn't exist anymore and I don't know how the new leagues are run, what divisions teams are in anymore etc.

Money wise you're probably looking at about 300 initial outlay for kit (helmet, facemask, shoulder pads, girdle, thigh, knee, tailbone pads, gumshield etc.), 250 a season for membership/cost and insurance and we used to have to pay 10-25 per game for matchday costs, medical supplies, transport etc. but that varies per team and how much sponsorship/money raising they do.

You might want to see if there are any flag teams around before you commit to playing kitted ball.

I'd like to think I'd make a fairly decent rugby player. as some of you may remember from the weekend the Pats drubbed the Jets, I play representative rugby so am no slouch.

The up-front expense is the big thing though, especially since I'm either off to Uni or down to Australia (for a bit of rugby hopefully) from September. Especially as it'd take me a bit of time to do the learning bit before I could really sink my teeth into it.

This is going to sound like an even crazier question and I have no idea if any of you can answer this. But the plan is to do year 2 of my degree in America, so I was wondering if there'd be a level of football for me to get involved with over there while I study. From what I've heard it seems that there is little opportunity for the non-elite athletes to play. Guess I've just gotta make the Uni rugby first team in my fresher year, study sh!tloads of NFL this year and somehow petition my way into the college team before getting asked to stay on on a scholarship and play before being drafted as the 32nd overall pick (because the Pats will win the SB and there's no way BB will trade up) in the draft.

I know a few Uni's have football teams now but I'm going to be playing rugby for sure hopefully at a pretty high standard so I wouldn't have thought I'd have the chance to play some gridiron as well. :( What a kafuffle my life is!