CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 13-03-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Jaz and I enjoy rants and raves.

I used to but haven't listened to them since mid-season. Unsubscribed now to save Hard Drive space.

Was better when they were doing it for a laugh rather than doing it to advance their career. Can't handle some of the bias either.

peagle 13-03-2011 06:53 PM

Listen to Rich Eisen as his guests are really good and then the UK one as well as Patriots today and PFW radio shows on my comp though I don't know if you can get those in podcast form?

pauldrulez 13-03-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
Listen to Rich Eisen as his guests are really good and then the UK one as well as Patriots today and PFW radio shows on my comp though I don't know if you can get those in podcast form?

Yes, on iTunes.

BLUE BOY 13-03-2011 07:32 PM

Cheers guys, will take a look.

saxoneagle 13-03-2011 07:39 PM

Are these podcasts free?

jazman 13-03-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE BOY
What NFL podcasts, if any, do you guys listen to? Could do with some decent stuff to listen to as i work.

NFL Rants and Raves and Rich Eisen's one is very good indeed ...

jazman 13-03-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
You can't support the same team as me. :p

Finally we find common ground :o

And yes, podcasts are free and I listen to them more than music right now ...

pauldrulez 13-03-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Are these podcasts free?

Yes

Beckenham Boy 14-03-2011 09:50 AM

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodel

saxoneagle 14-03-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Finally we find common ground :o

And yes, podcasts are free and I listen to them more than music right now ...

You can support Baylor. Or Tech. Or A&M. But not the Longhorns!

pauldrulez 14-03-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckenham Boy
Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodel

And that is why I am on the owners/NFL side of this argument.

NFLPA want far too much.

In recent years, the salary cap increasing and money going to the players outstripped increased revenue going to teams.

In the mid-2000s, the cap was at $75-80m for the team. 2009 it was nearing $130m before the uncapped year. That's $50m extra going to the players alone per year. As well as the extra benefits going to players (workout bonuses, money within a contract that doesn't affect the cap etc)

jazman 14-03-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

You can support Baylor. Or Tech. Or A&M. But not the Longhorns!

I know I can. But I chose the Longhorns. :p

y2rich 14-03-2011 04:41 PM

In other news I join up with the MK team this weekend. Im going to die!

jazman 14-03-2011 09:00 PM

Good work Rich, let us know how you go ... maybe you should blog your progress :p

Vince Hilaire's Afro 15-03-2011 02:01 PM

First cautious signs of optimism about reaching a deal from the owners' 'leader' Jerry Richardson....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-optimism.html

pauldrulez 15-03-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
First cautious signs of optimism about reaching a deal from the owners' 'leader' Jerry Richardson....

Peter King in MMQB reckons it's quite close as well.

Swanny32 15-03-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro

Nothing there fills me with hope, just another person saying that the deal (when done) will be fair for all parties involved.

pauldrulez 15-03-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Nothing there fills me with hope, just another person saying that the deal (when done) will be fair for all parties involved.

The deal the NFL offered (allegedly, I guess) was very good to both the players and the teams.

If you look at it another way, that deal would have resulted in the cap going up to close on $145m. An increase of nearly 10% on 2009. And the floor would have been 90% of that, forcing teams to spend the majority of their cap.

Wouldn't have been an 18 game season.

Would have been increased insurance for vets etc.

I'm sure it'll be sorted at some point.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 15-03-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32

If you knew a bit more about Richardson, you'd know this is him positively gushing with enthusiasm ;)

Swanny32 15-03-2011 03:47 PM

Lol