CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 22-01-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
That's a rich one Bernie.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/0...dal-who-cares/

Bernard Pollard's thoughts on Bounty Gate.

Just thought they were relevant.

Funk Butter 22-01-2013 08:06 PM

Since the NFL season is done, we have to start looking to the Draft and Free Agency. Here's my wish list for the Falcons, taking money into consideration and assuming they don't draft anybody:

QB: None, duh!
RB: Jonathan Dwyer (he's a restricted FA but I have no idea what Pittsburgh will do about their RBs and he might be available. But I doubt it)
OT: Phil Loadholt or Jermon Bushrod (Loadholt must be good to block for Peterson, right? And Bushrod just to stick it to the Saints. Assuming Baker leaves)
OG: No idea, but they need somebody as I think McClure will retire and Konz will move to Center
TE: Dennis Pitta? (too expensive...now) Jared Cook? (Maybe too crazy) Chris Cooley? (too naked) Brandon Myers? (Oakland will probably keep him) My ideal TE for the Falcons would be Jordan Cameron from the Browns. Only 2 years in the league and hasn't done much yet, but I think he's got potential as a pass catching TE with his WR background at USC.
DE/DT: I have no idea if the Falcons will stick with a 4-3 or go to a 3-4, so I'm not sure here. Corey Peters and Babineaux were not as good this season as past years, so we might need a big guy in the middle. Anthony Spencer will get banked this offseason. Maybe Michael Johnson at DE, Georgia Tech guy coming back to Atlanta. Or George Selvie, I still believe in that guy.
LB: Again this depends on what they do with the formation, but another Georgia Tech guy is out there with Phillip Wheeler. Maybe stick Weatherspoon on the edge and have Wheeler take his spot on the outside.
DB: No safeties needed and they might have too much money at CB if Grimes comes back and Samuel and Robinson stay. But I wouldn't mind stealing EJ Biggers from the Bucs if he could be had cheaper than Robinson.

I could actually make a pretty good FA squad from just Georgia Tech players that are free agents.

pauldrulez 22-01-2013 08:22 PM

Patriots:

FB: Get physical.
WR: Someone to stretch the field. And Danny Amendola.
OT: Need one as Vollmer won't stay healthy, if we can re-sign him.
DT: Someone to push the pocket.
DE: Need some depth.
CB: Talib... re-sign Arrington.
S: Chung can bike it to Philly, get a genuine Safety to put next to McCourty.
K: To compete with Gostkowski who wasn't that good this year.

Funk Butter 22-01-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

I could actually make a pretty good FA squad from just Georgia Tech players that are free agents.

Code:

PLAYER                TEAM                        POSITION
Allen, Anthony        Baltimore Ravens        Running Back
Brooking, Keith        Denver Broncos                Linebacker
Burnett, Morgan        Green Bay Packers        Safety
Choice, Tashard        Buffalo Bills                Running Back
Cone, Kevin        Atlanta Falcons                Wide Receiver
Cox, Mike        Atlanta Falcons                Fullback
Dwyer, Jonathan        Pittsburgh Steelers        Running Back
Economos, Andre        Tampa Bay Buccaneers        Long Snapper
Fox, Keyaron        Houston Texans                Linebacker

Gardner, Andrew        Houston Texans                Guard
Guyton, Gary        San Diego Chargers        Linebacker
Heller, Will        Detroit Lions                Tight End

Hill, Stephen        New York Jets                Wide Receiver
Johnson, Calvin        Detroit Lions                Wide Receiver
Johnson, Michae        Cincinnati Bengals        Defensive End
Landry, Dawan        Jacksonville Jaguars        Safety
Morgan, Derrick        Tennessee Titans        Defensive End
Smith, Daryl        Jacksonville Jaguars        Linebacker
Thomas, Demary        Denver Broncos                Wide Receiver
Walker, Vance        Atlanta Falcons                Defensive Tackle
Wheeler, Philip        Oakland Raiders                Linebacker

So 12 out of the 21 Georgia Tech players in the NFL are up for free agency.

Latvian Eagle 22-01-2013 10:41 PM

Wtf...

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap10000001295...cowboys-plays/

pauldrulez 22-01-2013 11:06 PM

DL Armstead from CFL... All I know is that Pats draft niks were raving about him as someone who can get to the QB.

I like it, and if he has half the impact Cameron Wake has, then I like it.

Funk Butter 22-01-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
DL Armstead from CFL... All I know is that Pats draft niks were raving about him as someone who can get to the QB.

I like it, and if he has half the impact Cameron Wake has, then I like it.

There's gonna be a serious bidding war for that guy.

ardeo 22-01-2013 11:16 PM

I'll do an Eagles one, just on needs...

Every position apart from D-line, probably RB and maybe TE.

Done.

Although i'd love to address the safety position, our biggest problem was putting up points and that came from the crappy o-line.

I'm interested to see what Chip Kelly will do, a bit ambivalent about the hiring at the moment. Personally would have liked to see a defensive guy as head coach, as think that is the way the winning teams are swinging, because overall the league is getting high scoring. So we aren't going to win many shootouts without an elite QB, so we need to be strong defensively to stop the shootouts. Certainly has worked well this year for the 49ers, Seahawks, Texans and then the Ravens in the playoffs.

Latvian Eagle 22-01-2013 11:34 PM

Maybe not elite QBs yet but I'd certainly say Kaepernick, Wilson, Flacco and Schaub are very capable QBs in their own right and haven't solely relied on their Ds to win them games.

pauldrulez 22-01-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

There's gonna be a serious bidding war for that guy.

Too late :p

Funk Butter 23-01-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Too late :p

I don't get it. I assume that he would be the man in Atlanta, in NE he'll be in some sort of rotation. Wouldn't he?

SteveyHawking 23-01-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
I'll do an Eagles one, just on needs...

Every position apart from D-line, probably RB and maybe TE.

Done.

Although i'd love to address the safety position, our biggest problem was putting up points and that came from the crappy o-line.

I'm interested to see what Chip Kelly will do, a bit ambivalent about the hiring at the moment. Personally would have liked to see a defensive guy as head coach, as think that is the way the winning teams are swinging, because overall the league is getting high scoring. So we aren't going to win many shootouts without an elite QB, so we need to be strong defensively to stop the shootouts. Certainly has worked well this year for the 49ers, Seahawks, Texans and then the Ravens in the playoffs.

The D-line needs looking at too IMO. Our pass rush was awful last year and we might be heading to a 3-4 defense anyway. If so we could either go NT Star Lotulelei with the #4 pick or go with OT Luke Joeckel if he's still around.

ardeo 23-01-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Maybe not elite QBs yet but I'd certainly say Kaepernick, Wilson, Flacco and Schaub are very capable QBs in their own right and haven't solely relied on their Ds to win them games.

I agree, my point wasn't that they needed defences to win them games, merely keep the scoring down to prevent shoot outs. Point in case was 49ers and Packers game, where 49ers held Packers enough to allow the run to still be a major factor, thus helping avoid kap take on rodgers in a shoot out.

ardeo 23-01-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveyHawking
The D-line needs looking at too IMO. Our pass rush was awful last year and we might be heading to a 3-4 defense anyway. If so we could either go NT Star Lotulelei with the #4 pick or go with OT Luke Joeckel if he's still around.

There's so much depth on the d-line, think its fine going forward. Everything was awful last year, it improved a little after washburn left and cox, graham and curry got more reps.

jazman 23-01-2013 09:11 AM

Wow, that was some hit by Pollard on Ridley. Quite sickening how he hit the ground actually. Pleased to see him walk to the dressing room.

I think the Pats will be very disapointed with that, don't think they were in any kind of form having watched it through last night. Brday wasn't bossing things as you expect him to but perhaps that is more the Ravens cause more than anything. I expect it from Brady but having seen him in some space to run the ball rather than go down like a girl at the sight of a lineman summed the game up for them.

pauldrulez 23-01-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

I don't get it. I assume that he would be the man in Atlanta, in NE he'll be in some sort of rotation. Wouldn't he?

Possibly in a rotation to keep him fresh. It'd be someone to collapse the pocket from the inside. If he could be 75% of Geno Atkins, it'd be better than any other pass-rushing DT we've had (including Fat Albert)

Benzhiyi 23-01-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Wow, that was some hit by Pollard on Ridley. Quite sickening how he hit the ground actually. Pleased to see him walk to the dressing room.

I think the Pats will be very disapointed with that, don't think they were in any kind of form having watched it through last night. Brday wasn't bossing things as you expect him to but perhaps that is more the Ravens cause more than anything. I expect it from Brady but having seen him in some space to run the ball rather than go down like a girl at the sight of a lineman summed the game up for them.

As much as anything, the reason the Ravens match the Pats year after year in the play-offs is sports psychology.

Part of the reason the Pats are so good is that they smell blood, and kill fearful teams off early (and then continue to rattle off TD after TD to guarantee there's no way back). But unlilke the Bills, Dolphins and so many others, the Ravens clearly aren't intimidated by Brady and Belichick and go into games clearly believing they can beat them. Even when they were losing in New England on Sunday, in a sudden death situation, they kept playing with confidence, almost arrogance.

Then spin that round and look at the sports psychology of Brady vs Baltimore and New York (G) in the last couple of years. Afraid of getting smashed in the mouth, the most confident guy in sports - and, for me, the greatest QB ever to play the game - suddenly looks human. Borderline mediocre, even. The very real possibilty of crushing defeat gets into his head and seemingly overwhelms him, hence those disastrous final drives Sunday.

All down to psychology. It's one of the reasons tennis fascinates me, because there's no other sport in the world where individual attitude, believe and resolve are as important as a player's physical ability. Hence why it took so long for Murray to win a Grand Slam - he just couldn't push himself over the line mentally.

jazman 23-01-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
As much as anything, the reason the Ravens match the Pats year after year in the play-offs is sports psychology.

Part of the reason the Pats are so good is that they smell blood, and kill fearful teams off early (and then continue to rattle off TD after TD to guarantee there's no way back). But unlilke the Bills, Dolphins and so many others, the Ravens clearly aren't intimidated by Brady and Belichick and go into games clearly believing they can beat them. Even when they were losing in New England on Sunday, in a sudden death situation, they kept playing with confidence, almost arrogance.

Then spin that round and look at the sports psychology of Brady vs Baltimore and New York (G) in the last couple of years. Afraid of getting smashed in the mouth, the most confident guy in sports - and, for me, the greatest QB ever to play the game - suddenly looks human. Borderline mediocre, even. The very real possibilty of crushing defeat gets into his head and seemingly overwhelms him, hence those disastrous final drives Sunday.

All down to psychology. It's one of the reasons tennis fascinates me, because there's no other sport in the world where individual attitude, believe and resolve are as important as a player's physical ability. Hence why it took so long for Murray to win a Grand Slam - he just couldn't push himself over the line mentally.

Fascinating post by the way Ben :p

Sports psychology plays a massive part these days. It has always been there but to a lot of teams/players it has become one of keys to playing which ever game it is. Agree, that sometimes it makes it look too confident, arrogant even. Even the mind games that are played out by top coaches and managers across the globe is all part of it. Completely fascinating.

I have never been a fan of tennis but I completely get what you are referring to in that. I favour the example of a pitcher up against a batter in baseball. Although it's a team game, that part is one on one.

Going back to the Pats/Ravens game though, I do think that Brady is a dying breed of quarter back. How many rookie QB's would have run that ball on the two occassions that I am thinking of. The first when Brady went down before he collided with an official and the later one when he went down at the sight of a lineman. Someone like Vick, RG3 or Kaepernick would have more than likely made both. In a position that effectively has the major say in the way the team plays each game and to a certain extent, how it performs, the position is evolving perhaps more than it has done so in the past. Are we to see the likes of a Brady again?

Latvian Eagle 23-01-2013 05:46 PM

Whatever happened to all the plays where the QB lines up as a receiver? That phenomenon died a very quick death! :o So much so I can't even remember what they were called now.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 23-01-2013 06:04 PM

trying to draw up my FA list for the Panthers, but struggling to find anyone on the list willing to pay $25m for the privilege.

definitely looking for 4 or 5 running backs and an OT who'll be injured for at least two seasons.