CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 23-01-2015 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter (Post 12194029)
It's kicking off in the Big Easy. Tom Benson just decided to cut out his family from all his businesses and give everything to wife #3 when he dies.

That totally looks like someone else wrote the letter and then got him to sign it. Then again, that's the same guy who threatened to leave New Orleans post-Katrina, so maybe he is capable of that.

Meanwhile, some changes to the Lombardi trophy:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7utDAjCMAAJBB-.jpg

:D

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 12194198)
Or being found guilty of taking performance-enhancing drugs, but claiming afterwards that you should face no punishment because your team lost.

The point repeatedly missed by Deflatriot supporters is cheating doesn't only become relevant if it affects the end result.

The story has more holes in it than a cheese grater.

Something cooked up by Harbaugh and Pagano.

Even D'Qwell Jackson has said he has no idea what is going on, and he's the one who apparently squeezed the balls.

Slap on the wrist and a minimal fine, if the guilt can even be proven.

But then again Ben, you've already assigned the guilt.

Maybe, just maybe, your hate is blinding you.

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:26 AM

And just in case you are wondering who leaked the story to the press.

Irsay the alcoholic was seen talking to Bob Kravitz.

So, the person leading the story is a drunk who was previously suspended and arrested. Reliable source.

BSPN leading the charge with their un-named sources. Whereas the NFL website waited to put real information on there.

The Pats used the Colts balls in the 2nd quarter, except that is when the ball was intercepted and investigated, and then the Patriots used backup balls in the 2nd half. Except the Colts only raised the alarm at half time.

Yes, this all makes perfect sense.

davematt 23-01-2015 10:33 AM

Paul, I have no agenda against the Patriots, but personally, I think you've been busted and found out here. Brady did not look comfortable at all yesterday in that press conference, and you could say the same for BB.

davematt 23-01-2015 10:35 AM

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a QB with Brady's experience alone would not recognise the difference if the ball he had been throwing was deflated (which he basically said he didn't).

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle (Post 12194249)
That totally looks like someone else wrote the letter and then got him to sign it. Then again, that's the same guy who threatened to leave New Orleans post-Katrina, so maybe he is capable of that.

Meanwhile, some changes to the Lombardi trophy:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7utDAjCMAAJBB-.jpg

Something struck me the other day.

When Suggs is introduced pre-game on the TV introductions, he says:

"Terrell Suggs, Ball-so-hard University"

I would love Brady to enter the Superbowl to...

"Tom Brady, Ball-so-soft University"

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davematt (Post 12194455)
Paul, I have no agenda against the Patriots, but personally, I think you've been busted and found out here. Brady did not look comfortable at all yesterday in that press conference, and you could say the same for BB.

There is no evidence.

None. Just un-named sources who are now contradicting the people they have originally stated are involved.

Brady looked uncomfortable because he stood there for 35 minutes answering questions about it, including a question from Ron Borges stating "The LB knew, and you're telling me you couldn't recognised the difference" - "Yes" - "But the LB knew"

Except, he didn't know.

It's going to be real funny when the Patriots receive a draft pick from the Jets for tampering with Revis.

It's also funny how this thread has been DEAD during the season. Pats "appear" to have done something wrong, and there's a melt down.

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:45 AM

Adam Schefter reported last night: "There is no evidence that the footballs were deflated"

dannyboy1807 23-01-2015 10:51 AM

is it Paul or the Patriots that are in trouble here?

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyboy1807 (Post 12194494)

No-one is in trouble, but like when Palace were accused of spying, supporters will fight an injustice.

I await the clearance of the team and apologies from the media (haha). Some will be lucky not to be sued for libel, especially the New York types calling Brady a liar.

L'kooch 23-01-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

he's foxboro O.G.

Benzhiyi 23-01-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Paul has a history of, shall we say, over-defending any potential Patriots misdemeanour.

My feelings towards New England have thawed over the years. Brady and Belichick have always been entirely classless, but they're also the best QB and coach of all time - and you have to respect that. However in this instance, if they have cheated (and I use the 'if' because Paul is right that nothing has been proven yet), it's a taint on their legacy.

I was drawn into this debate more by crybaby Patriot fans pleading their total innocence (as always!) than the act of cheating itself. If found guilty then a fine and lost draft pick is ample punishment.

oz_da II 23-01-2015 11:40 AM

I'll take Lombardi and Starr any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

oz_da II 23-01-2015 11:48 AM

Walsh and Montana get the silver medal.

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 12194543)

Paul has a history of, shall we say, over-defending any potential Patriots misdemeanour.

My feelings towards New England have thawed over the years. Brady and Belichick have always been entirely classless, but they're also the best QB and coach of all time - and you have to respect that. However in this instance, if they have cheated (and I use the 'if' because Paul is right that nothing has been proven yet), it's a taint on their legacy.

I was drawn into this debate more by crybaby Patriot fans pleading their total innocence (as always!) than the act of cheating itself. If found guilty then a fine and lost draft pick is ample punishment.

Long post ahead. I hope it explains my thoughts better!

The point I tried to make at the very start was that if found guilty, then Belichick should have the book thrown at him. The same goes for Brady, but less so as he isn't a repeat offender.

However, there is no evidence. And Ben, you'll remember back as far as Spygate, and Belichick never denied it. As far as he was concerned, he hadn't done anything wrong, because everybody else did it.

This time, he has denied it vehemently, and I do believe him.

What I am saying is, if this was the Colts who had been accused of tampering, do you think there would be this sort of media hype and expectation. There was 27 camera trucks at Gillette yesterday for BB's press conference. Which was apparently 15 more than the day after Hernandez was arrested and released by the team.

If it is proven with evidence that Bill and/or Tom deliberately tampered with the balls, then they should face punishment. Brady should get 4 games suspension despite being a first time offender, Belichick as a 2nd time offender against the "league shield" should face a year suspension, however crappy a penalty it is.

The most irritating thing of all is the way a lot of the media are dealing with it, as if it is a done deal. The ESPN crew being the worst of all. The jokes are fine, dealing with reports from unnamed sources (Irsay) as factual and then having them contradicted and disproved by another unnamed source just confused the situation, just like it did with Spygate. The amount of people who still believe that the Patriots taped the Rams practice and walk through purely due to a Boston Herald report that was proved categorically untrue, just shows how things can be misreported, repeated and become "factual".

Montana and Walsh are the best duo of all time, but with a Superbowl win this year, then Bill and Brady become very much in the discussion for it, especially as this so-called salary cap era is supposed to have brought parity for the league. There would be no competition if it wasn't for those damn New York Giants.

I'll keep the discussion sensible from now on, but those are my thoughts on it, rather than jokes and my opinion. It's just a shame that no matter what happens in the Superbowl, it will hang over this season, when it's been probably the most enjoyable Patriots team to watch (since that damn Chiefs game anyway!)

Funk Butter 23-01-2015 04:25 PM

I'm sorry, but no evidence? The NFL has (or had) 11 balls that didn't meet specifications. I assume the Colts ones were regulation, so it isn't some "Oh it was just cold" defense. The refs knew something was wrong in the first half:
Quote:

Jackson does, however, recall one interesting moment during the first half that has something to do with the latest controversy. He recalls, during a television timeout, there was an especially long delay that prompted him to approach an official.

The game official mentioned something about their efforts to locate a usable football. Shortly after, Jackson noticed that the Patriots were using the Colts' footballs late in the first half. Jackson said it was odd to him that New England couldn't find a football to use, especially in the AFC Championship Game.
And it wasn't Irsay:
Quote:

ESPN's Adam Schefter says the Colts' suspicions date back to their Nov. 16 game against New England, a 42-20 Patriots win. In that game, Indianapolis safety Mike Adams intercepted two passes and handed both balls to the Colts' equipment manager to hold as souvenirs. Both balls, Schefter's sources say, were noticeably underinflated.

The timing of everything else then falls into place. Reportedly, the Colts' Sunday suspicions were confirmed the first time they got their hands on one of Brady's balls: when D'Qwell Jackson picked him off in the second quarter. The equipment manager told coach Chuck Pagano, who told GM Ryan Grigson, who told the NFL's director of field operations, who alerted the officials working the game. At the half, they inspected the balls.

Beckenham Boy 23-01-2015 04:54 PM

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/to...270/+bubbaprog

Our equipment guys do a great job of breaking the balls. To me they're perfect. I don't want anyone rubbing 'em. I wouldn't want anyone touching those. Whatever feels good that day... I'm not squeezing the balls. It's not part of my process. Breaking the balls. Some guys like old balls. I tell them how great they are.

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter (Post 12195072)
I'm sorry, but no evidence? The NFL has (or had) 11 balls that didn't meet specifications. I assume the Colts ones were regulation, so it isn't some "Oh it was just cold" defense. The refs knew something was wrong in the first half:

And it wasn't Irsay:

No evidence about who has done it.

Oh, and the 11 of 12 balls blog by Mortensen has gone walk about on the main website too. Can still be accessed through the local ESPN websites.

Mort's source is Irsay. Both drunks.

As is Kravitz's.

BLUE BOY 23-01-2015 06:01 PM

No idea if its all true etc but one things for sure, if the Pats get found guilty then it will be an equipment guy taking a fall for this, not BB or Brady.

pauldrulez 23-01-2015 09:36 PM

Glad the NFL are investigating it and the Pats have fully co-operated.

Less pleased that yet again, Kraft hasn't said a word for ages, and when he does, he doesn't say anything useful.

I just wanted to enjoy 2 weeks focusing on the biggest game of the season. Never thought 5 days ago that my enjoyment of SB Week would be ruined by soft balls...