CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Benzhiyi 24-10-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
I just adopt the Boston teams :)

Man this makes me sad. Although to many Bostoners there is only one team that counts, so I suppose that's ok as long as you just stick to the Pats, Celtics and Bruins. Can't you take up supporting the Yankees? Your attitude to the Pats perfectly matches New Yorkers' attitudes to their most famous team...

No chance Guyton gets defensive rookie of the year, by the way. (Although he has played very well.) Mayo or Horton maybe. Cason, Lofton, Langford, Lowery all in with a shout too.

jazman 24-10-2008 01:15 PM

The two big stories on Total Access last night were Favre and his 'two' phone conversations and KCs Larry Johnson finding himself

And wow, what a hit by Hines Ward last weekend! Ouch - broken jaw! His interview was pretty much to the effect that there is a bounty on his head so bring it on! :g

Strathclyde Eagle 24-10-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
How about Ike Taylor. Who's been done for wearing too low whites on his socks. Can't believe he got fined for that. What a disgrace!

I saw on a feed link that a Tennessee player was fined $10,000 for a celebration. How much were the Spanish FA fined for the racist chanting in that friendly a few years ago?

The NFL and UEFA are at opposite extremes when it comes to fines.

jazman 24-10-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I saw on a feed link that a Tennessee player was fined $10,000 for a celebration. How much were the Spanish FA fined for the racist chanting in that friendly a few years ago?

The NFL and UEFA are at opposite extremes when it comes to fines.

Wasn't that the rookie who played the bongos? :g

Your last line is quite right. You rarely see clubs fine and ban their own players for the reasons that the NFL teams do.

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 01:19 PM

I've just received an email from nflshop.com asking if I'd like to see a game with Alyssa Milano. I'm tempted to reply and just say I'd rather tailgate and get hammered with my buddies who understand the game and meet up with her for a quickie afterwards...

jazman 24-10-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
I've just received an email from nflshop.com asking if I'd like to see a game with Alyssa Milano. I'm tempted to reply and just say I'd rather tailgate and get hammered with my buddies who understand the game and meet up with her for a quickie afterwards...

Why not do both? ;)

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 01:32 PM

I don't want her at the game though. Just the afters. She'd ruin the viewing.

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 01:34 PM

Actually jaz, I had a weird dream last night...

I imagined I was at the University of Texas and as a welcome gift I had a bag full of t-shirts and stuff. On opening it, it was full of Cowboys related stuff. TO shirts, Witten shirts, Pro-bowl shirts with Owens on it... I've never had such a bad dream. The further I dug into the bag, the more Cowboys stuff I found. I woke up in a cold sweat. The wife found it quite amusing when I told her this morning though! :g

jazman 24-10-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Actually jaz, I had a weird dream last night...

I imagined I was at the University of Texas and as a welcome gift I had a bag full of t-shirts and stuff. On opening it, it was full of Cowboys related stuff. TO shirts, Witten shirts, Pro-bowl shirts with Owens on it... I've never had such a bad dream. The further I dug into the bag, the more Cowboys stuff I found. I woke up in a cold sweat. The wife found it quite amusing when I told her this morning though! :g

I was worried when I read the first line of your post. Now I'm pissing myself laughing :g

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 01:40 PM

Thought you'd appreciate it...

elliott 24-10-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman

Your last line is quite right. You rarely see clubs fine and ban their own players for the reasons that the NFL teams do.

I've made this point to our Director of Sports here at Uni. Our rugby team have been really badly behaved for the last 3 weeks and have received absolutely no tangible punishment, except a slap on the wrists which was laughed off anyway.

I suggested that a few of the culprits or the captain should perhaps be banned from a few matches. This was met with a dreadful reception until I said that it's what they do in the US. Anyone who is badly behaved (failing class etc) in college doesn't get to play sports. Simple as!

jazman 24-10-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
I've made this point to our Director of Sports here at Uni. Our rugby team have been really badly behaved for the last 3 weeks and have received absolutely no tangible punishment, except a slap on the wrists which was laughed off anyway.

I suggested that a few of the culprits or the captain should perhaps be banned from a few matches. This was met with a dreadful reception until I said that it's what they do in the US. Anyone who is badly behaved (failing class etc) in college doesn't get to play sports. Simple as!

I think that football could learn a lot from the NFL.

This was mention on Talksport the other week in terms of the amount of takeovers at Premiership clubs. They touched on how the NFL is run and whether that would be better to run football in a similar way. You cannot argue about the success of the NFL and the franchises. I think the issue is the franchise thing and moving them around, but fans would get used to it!

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

I think that football could learn a lot from the NFL.

This was mention on Talksport the other week in terms of the amount of takeovers at Premiership clubs. They touched on how the NFL is run and whether that would be better to run football in a similar way. You cannot argue about the success of the NFL and the franchises. I think the issue is the franchise thing and moving them around, but fans would get used to it!

Sky are close enough to turning the Premiership into a circus at the moment, can you imagine the fun they'd have with the Manchester Red Devils v the London Gunners?

Personally, leave UK sport, in particular football, to wallow in it's own sh*t. I enjoy US sports much more and their attitude in general is a million times that of even your average Premiership footballer...

jazman 24-10-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Sky are close enough to turning the Premiership into a circus at the moment, can you imagine the fun they'd have with the Manchester Red Devils v the London Gunners?

Personally, leave UK sport, in particular football, to wallow in it's own sh*t. I enjoy US sports much more and their attitude in general is a million times that of even your average Premiership footballer...

Yes, fair comment. Football is past the stage of major change in my opinion. Th e next big thing will be a super league. It will happen.

I pretty surprised that Sky doen't do a programme like Total Access for the Premiership of Americas Game for title winners. Can you imagine? :g

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, fair comment. Football is past the stage of major change in my opinion. Th e next big thing will be a super league. It will happen.

I pretty surprised that Sky doen't do a programme like Total Access for the Premiership of Americas Game for title winners. Can you imagine? :g

It would be pointless. Sky invented football in the 90's so most of the programs would be about ManUres dominance of the 90's and 00's rather than the amazing Forest team of the 70's and such like...

jazman 24-10-2008 02:53 PM

Yes good point.

I do notice a lot on Total Access about the Cowboys at th eminute but I guess there is a lot to talk about :g

Here's hoping we can get a win this weekend in the battle of the pensioner QBs ...

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Yes good point.

I do notice a lot on Total Access about the Cowboys at th eminute but I guess there is a lot to talk about :g

Here's hoping we can get a win this weekend in the battle of the pensioner QBs ...

Well, they are America's Team. And, like America, they include all parts of a community - the frail old chap upstairs, the confused chap on the sidelines who everyone likes but secretly laughs behind his back, the nancy boy QB who can't come out to play because he's broken a fingernail, the sulking wannabe bully who cries when people don't pass to him and a bunch of criminals, ready to mug your granny when you're out playing ball...

:g

I enjoyed posting that ;)

Swanny32 24-10-2008 03:30 PM

Right people, what's everyone's predictions for Sunday then?

I'm off to London from Colchester tomorrow afternoon to start my weekend of frollocking with an Irish girls party in the evening, followed by some sleazy gentleman's club no doubt. Nice greasy breakfast Sunday morning then get to Wembley nice and early to soak up the atmosphere and have a few more drinks before watching the game! Man am I excited!

Swanny32 24-10-2008 03:31 PM

Just wish I could have got hold of a Philly jersey! I'll just have to wear my Hoody instead.

saxoneagle 24-10-2008 03:41 PM

I predict Saints to win by a TD in a bit of a shootout. 34-28.