CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

jazman 27-10-2008 09:29 PM

I'd like to know what the yanks thought if it to be honest, I haven't had the time to read any write ups yet. Will wait until those pod casts later in the week.

saxoneagle 27-10-2008 10:28 PM

Most stuff I've heard on TV today has been positive, same as last year. If anything, they've liked the way it was turned into a Saints home game unlike the "neutral" game last year.

Benzhiyi 28-10-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Most stuff I've heard on TV today has been positive, same as last year. If anything, they've liked the way it was turned into a Saints home game unlike the "neutral" game last year.

It wasn't very neutral last year - Phins announcer, cheerleaders, towels on the seats, etc etc. Very similar to the Saints this year.

pauldrulez 28-10-2008 12:19 AM

But from TV viewing, the atmosphere was nothing compared to this year with 2 offensive teams going at it.

There was 4 fewer points in the 1st Quarter than there was in the whole match last year, and that includes a missed PAT.

The abuse that the Chargers were getting was huge, and the Saints players and staff were doing their best to make it as loud as possible from what I could see.

It was great to see the fans getting involved in the game (apart from around me where there were 20-25 year old men with beers spending the whole match poking each other with the flags and hitting them against the metal railing until they broke. And when it broke, they went and stole another couple from the near-empty disabled seats from in front of us.)

Benzhiyi 28-10-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
But from TV viewing, the atmosphere was nothing compared to this year with 2 offensive teams going at it.

There was 4 fewer points in the 1st Quarter than there was in the whole match last year, and that includes a missed PAT.

The abuse that the Chargers were getting was huge, and the Saints players and staff were doing their best to make it as loud as possible from what I could see.

It was great to see the fans getting involved in the game (apart from around me where there were 20-25 year old men with beers spending the whole match poking each other with the flags and hitting them against the metal railing until they broke. And when it broke, they went and stole another couple from the near-empty disabled seats from in front of us.)

Having been at both I thought the atmosphere was louder last year, but that this time around the crowd got going in the right moments - trying to put the Chargers offense off instead of cheering loudly when the Phins got near the goalline.

In that sense yes, it was more like a Saints home game, but I didn't think that was what Saxon meant - if so, fair enough.

Otherwise it goes without saying that everything else about this year's game was a big improvement, especially what happened on the pitch.

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
It wasn't very neutral last year - Phins announcer, cheerleaders, towels on the seats, etc etc. Very similar to the Saints this year.

But the reaction of the crowd last year was not a "home" crowd like this years was.

Benzhiyi 28-10-2008 12:25 AM

Yeah, I get what you mean now - see my follow up to CrazyPatsFan's post.

Latvian Eagle 28-10-2008 10:56 AM

How are the Titans now 7-0? :eek:

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 12:23 PM

Because they are a VERY good side, LE!

Swanny32 28-10-2008 12:39 PM

But look at the Titans schedule, hardly that challenging is it, they have the Packers next week, could be interesting. Other than that they don't have what i would call a tough game till Colts and Steelers at the end of the season.

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 12:50 PM

Ten have had an easy schedule but upcomign games against GB, in Chicago, in Jax and then finish with Pittsburgh and in Indy should at least give them some tough games to test them.

The Browns had an easy schedule last year and even they didn't push them aside like the 7-0 Titans have. If they beat GB, I'll def be cheering on the Titans in Chicago!

Strathclyde Eagle 28-10-2008 01:05 PM

You can only beat who you play though.

There is a Titans fan on another forum I'm on and yesterday he was bringing up his pre-season post that although he didn't want to tempt fate their first six games were very winnable. Four game lead in the division, two over everyone else in the conference, looking very good for them right now.

jazman 28-10-2008 01:14 PM

Boy did we struggle against Tampa. We were there for the taking, just glad Garcia couldn't finish us off. Maybe that is the lucky result we need? Not at all convinced with Johnson.

Made me chuckle watching the American highlights of the Wembley game, using every English style comment they could ... :g But they highlighted the fact that we booed at the celebration penalties! I think they want that more over there ....

And fair play to Boldon, coming back so soon after his terrible KO the other week :p

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 01:51 PM

Yes! I've managed to get a trip to NY out of work so I'll be planning ANOTHER NFL game around it ;)

jazman 28-10-2008 01:52 PM

Good work fella. Any thoughts on what game yet?

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 01:57 PM

Well, I'm in Chicago early November and I want to avoid Thanksgiving week so I'll have to have a look around. I might hang around in Chicago for an extra day or two then head to Boston for the Pats/Jets game ;)

jazman 28-10-2008 02:00 PM

Cool. A cold one that time of year up there I guess?

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 02:08 PM

Yes, and a Thursday night game. I'm going to be busy at work but I'll fit it in, I'm sure :)

saxoneagle 28-10-2008 02:30 PM

Where's Paul? Where's Paul? WHERE'S PAUL?

I've got a ticket for Jets v Pats in Foxboro :g

Suck on that ;)

AddiscombeEagle 28-10-2008 02:35 PM

They tried to deliver my Ravens top that I ordered this morning, but they want to charge me 11.50. Duty I take it, is this normal? Seems expensive for a 30 top.