CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

davematt 22-12-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
The Chargers making the play-offs would make me cry.

Its quite ridiculous that a team in the play offs will have a 8-8 record potentially :D

Sums up the quality in that division.

saxoneagle 22-12-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davematt
Its quite ridiculous that a team in the play offs will have a 8-8 record potentially :D

Sums up the quality in that division.

And the Pats could be 11-5 and not make it!

davematt 22-12-2008 01:00 AM

Vikings just scored a TD and are now a score away from levelling it up against the Falcons. So much at stake in the last few minutes!

saxoneagle 22-12-2008 01:12 AM

Broncos lost :(

saxoneagle 22-12-2008 01:12 AM

Vikings lost :(

zonin2000 22-12-2008 01:14 AM

Can the Jets still make it if they win and the Pats (or Jags) lose?

I.e. do they have anything to play for next week?

saxoneagle 22-12-2008 01:22 AM

Yes, if the Jets win and the Pats lose, the Jets will still win the division I think.

Grim Reaper 22-12-2008 01:31 AM

Strange night. Crap in many ways (Jets, Minnesota, DeShaun Jackson) but got lucky on a match bet with John Carlson and Dustin Keller where I needed Carlson to beat Keller's yardage total by between 5 and 14 and he outgained him 10 and have coined it in quite nicely.

Thanks to the Jets though I'm numb.

Ho hum - I guess it's Christmas time. If we're gonna get a miracle it might as well be at Christmas!!

Grim Reaper 22-12-2008 01:35 AM

The favourites lost in all 5 late kick offs!!!

davematt 22-12-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
The favourites lost in all 5 late kick offs!!!

Taking into account the Jets record when travelling to the west coast, this defeat to the Sewhawks isnt so much of a suprise!

And what a turn around for the Cowboys; Romo and Co have ANOTHER shot at making the post season after San Diego won in Tampa.

For tonights huge match up, I am going for the Giants to edge it simply because Jacobs is back. He makes their running game unstoppable at times.

All set for a fantastic finale next week. Tonights game could have a massive impact on Minnesota's play off ambitions, as they host the Giants next week.

And as I have already mentioned, what a game in San Diego! Got to back the Chargers to complete this 'miracle' of making the post season despite being shite throughout the fall! Denver are just not capable of winning games with that defence of their's.

The best thing about this year? There isnt a clear 'favourite'. So many teams that have to be taken seriously, although I would count out Arizona.

elliott 22-12-2008 01:49 AM

GUYS!

This is important.

Channel Five are going to axe their football (& NHL, NBA) coverage from next year.

Whilst some may see this is a minor inconvenience, to some this is pretty major.

In addition, it has potentially huge effects on football popularity (both a playing & watching POV) in the UK.

There is a petition here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/593409/petition.html

Even if it means nothing to you, please sign it.

jlmatthews 22-12-2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Vikings lost :(

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Funk Butter 22-12-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
Atlanta has gone from looking at the possibility of going 11-5 and not making the playoffs to clinching a playoff spot with a win today. Strange 24 hours.

Now if Atlanta can get by the Rams and the Saints beat the Panthers, the Falcons will get the #2 seed in the NFC and a bye in the first round of the playoffs (provided they win the tiebreaker). Amazing. What a huge loss that could be for the Panthers tonight. But that was probably the game of the season.

ardeo 22-12-2008 10:22 AM

I've signed it Elliott.

Eagles lost - surprise surprise.

Completely abandoned the running game in the 2nd half, and 7 dropped passes didn't help the throwing game. Was a matter of time before we were found out again really. Although missing 2 WRs didn't help. Anyway, it was nice while it lasted for 3 wins. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pauldrulez 22-12-2008 10:31 AM

Looking at it this way,

The Jets have to win otherwise Mangina is out of a job.

He will have let the team with his QB who he chose to release to get the King of Interceptions in get to the playoffs.

They should play this game at 1pm, the Pats game at 4.15 and the Ravens game at 4.15 as it isn't fair on the Patriots if the Jets know what they have to do. The divisional games should be played at the same time.

Today is the last day they can flex the games around. Let's hope the NFL see sense for once.

Strathclyde Eagle 22-12-2008 10:32 AM

Adrian Peterson just entered my office. He dropped his security pass on the way in. ;)

Got Sky Sports again on Saturday night, just for some game or other that was on that I've forgotten about. (Nick Carle! :lux:) Been stuck doing Christmas duties for the most part ever since apart from a bit of time spent watching the Vikings attempt to muster some offence last night - they're done if you get a lead on them. Hopeless in the passing game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by davematt
Wow. Just got in and what a night it seems to have been!

Denver currently losing at home to Buffalo; if this stays as it is, the 7-8 Chargers will play a 'winner takes all game' against the Bronco's next Sunday in Sol Cal! Who would have thought it?!?!

Not being funny but a few people have seen this coming for weeks.

And a 8-8 team making the play-offs isn't unheard of. Even happened before realignment (the 1985 Cleveland Browns).
Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Great defeat for Tampa, Eagles will make the playoffs if we win out!

Cue us losing tonight to the Redskins...

Great tackle by Nookiebear's man Landry to stop the game going to OT on the last play.
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
GUYS!

This is important.

Channel Five are going to axe their football (& NHL, NBA) coverage from next year.

Whilst some may see this is a minor inconvenience, to some this is pretty major.

In addition, it has potentially huge effects on football popularity (both a playing & watching POV) in the UK.

There is a petition here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/593409/petition.html

Even if it means nothing to you, please sign it.

Will do. Love their coverage. Nate Coombs is great. :p

BTW I love the fact that jlmatthews and Funk Butter have largely frequented the same section of the same website for five and a half years and know nothing about each other. :D Doesn't everyone know Jason is a Bears fan? Hasn't everyone read one of Funk Butter's NFL tips at some point? Can't we just get a Purdue/Ball State vs Georgia Tech bowl game arranged and let them have an excuse to meet?

pauldrulez 22-12-2008 10:39 AM

Oh, and I signed it.

First I have heard of this as well.

The 2 New York teams (well one NY and one New Jersey) have to play at different times. Why?

Anyway, this would be my timings for next week on SKY if I had the choice.

1:00 (6pm) Baltimore game and Dallas/Philly
4:05 (9pm) New England and Phins/Jets
8:15 (1:15) Broncos/Chargers

Strathclyde Eagle 22-12-2008 10:39 AM

I'm seven signatures below Paul on the petition. :D

Strathclyde Eagle 22-12-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
8:15 (1:15) Broncos/Chargers

"I'd like to speak to NBC in New York please. Do you want to show the Broncos-Chargers game during prime time? Hello... hello... I think they've hung up."

BTW what idiot devalued the petition by asking for them to keep everything they currently show AND add Lacrosse? :eek:

pauldrulez 22-12-2008 10:45 AM

Normally with these positions, I decide to ruin them by throwing in a famous name, so if you see Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Brett Favre, you know who it is ;)

And, I have never watched Five's coverage. I saw 5 minutes a few weeks back and thought it looked average. Am I wrong?