CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

selhurst cookie 13-05-2012 03:09 PM

Is it just me or does Alex Smith look a little bit like glenn murray?

pauldrulez 13-05-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selhurst cookie
Is it just me or does Alex Smith look a little bit like glenn murray?

http://chriswalder26.files.wordpress...alex-smith.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...89_468x368.jpg

Yep :p

selhurst cookie 13-05-2012 09:10 PM

Thought so, I've thought he looks like someone but only just realised :D

[Insert joke about glenn being better QB etc.]

SteveyHawking 18-05-2012 01:53 PM

Shady McCoy signed for another 5 years. Best news of the summer! :love: :lux: :love: :lux:

Swanny32 18-05-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveyHawking
Shady McCoy signed for another 5 years. Best news of the summer! :love: :lux: :love: :lux:

Great news! Very happy indeed.

Swanny32 18-05-2012 02:15 PM

Anyone seen the top 10 QB list on NFL.com from Jason Smith

The top 10

1) Eli Manning, New York Giants: A 30-touchdown/4,000-yard passer with two Super Bowls in the past five years. Both won with last-minute drives -- and both over Tom Brady. Give me a better recent résumé. You can't.

2) Tom Brady, New England Patriots: Even though he hasn't won the Super Bowl in seven years, he's now been to five. And would be 5-for-5 if Wes Welker had stickier hands and David Tyree did not.

3) Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: I'm still taking him over the next two guys because I believe he'll win a playoff game in minus-45 degree weather before the other two will. And he's got two rings.

4) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints: If fantasy were reality, Brees would sit atop this list. But it isn't, so he doesn't. Like Brady, too many things outside of his control have kept him from winning more. (Like playing those pesky road playoff games.)

5) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers: The first three things that come to mind when I think of Rodgers: 1) He's a machine; 2) Discount Double Check; and 3) That stinker at home against the G-Men. That holds him back from No. 2 overall.

6) Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos: Stop thinking that Peyton's going to be playing with a neck brace and a cane. He'll still be Peyton, and we'll forget about his injury by the first preseason game.

7) Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers: It's a small sample size, but I also knew I liked Ben & Jerry's "Phish Food" from my first tasting spoon. Some things you just know.

8) Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers: No matter who he has to throw to, he wins. He was better in 2010 without Vincent Jackson than with him. He elevates his receivers and could be a Hall of Famer by the end of his career like Dan Fouts. He could also wind up never getting to a Super Bowl like Fouts, too.

9) Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons: His spot in the top 10 is tenuous. He needs a big performance in a playoff game to avoid being labeled the next Barry Bonds. (I mean before the whole steroid thing, back when he was great in the regular season and then would hit .149 October.)

10) Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles: It's a make-or-break season health-wise for Vick as far as his status as an elite QB goes. If he could have stayed upright this past season, he'd be in the top five. But he didn't, so he's not. (I just found out I really like ending sentences that way. I'm thankful to have stolen it from Colin Farrell in "In Bruges.")

Swanny32 18-05-2012 02:17 PM

The next 5:
Stafford
Flacco
Romo
Cutler
Schaub

pauldrulez 18-05-2012 02:36 PM

Been thinking about the Welker situation, they have to pay the Gronk and Hernandez as well as Chung/Vollmer over the next 2 years, why would they commit 8% of the cap to one player who is 3rd or 4th option in 2 seasons when you add Lloyd to it

oz_da II 18-05-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Anyone seen the top 10 QB list on NFL.com from Jason Smith

One somewhat poor performance knocks Rodgers from #2 to #5? :clown:

I stopped reading there...

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-05-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
7) Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers: It's a small sample size, but I also knew I liked Ben & Jerry's "Phish Food" from my first tasting spoon. Some things you just know.

How do people think Cam will do in his second year? A step backwards, like Josh Freeman, or more maturity/cutting out the interceptions/closing out games from winning positions better than last year?

Panthers haven't done too much in free agency and had a quiet-ish draft. But signing Mike Tolbert was a good move. He will further strengthen an already formidable running game, meaning less running for Cam. He's also a special teams beast, along with draft rookie Joe Adams, both of whom should help the offense with better field position from last year's disasters.

A lot has been said about us not reinforcing the DL enough, but we started to put that right towards the end of the season when the backups found their feet, and Ron Edwards will be back after missing the season. WR and CB also receive a bit of criticism but I think we have some great 'sleepers' in Gettis, Lafell, Pilares et al at WR and also some good potential at CB, especially Hogan who was injured most of last season.

So I'm not sure if Cam will be able to outshine his rookie season in terms of personal stats etc. but I think he will have a lot better pieces around him, and more help from the defense which will mean more wins and far better efficiency for his efforts.

Funk Butter 18-05-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
How do people think Cam will do in his second year? A step backwards, like Josh Freeman, or more maturity/cutting out the interceptions/closing out games from winning positions better than last year?

Panthers haven't done too much in free agency and had a quiet-ish draft. But signing Mike Tolbert was a good move. He will further strengthen an already formidable running game, meaning less running for Cam. He's also a special teams beast, along with draft rookie Joe Adams, both of whom should help the offense with better field position from last year's disasters.

A lot has been said about us not reinforcing the DL enough, but we started to put that right towards the end of the season when the backups found their feet, and Ron Edwards will be back after missing the season. WR and CB also receive a bit of criticism but I think we have some great 'sleepers' in Gettis, Lafell, Pilares et al at WR and also some good potential at CB, especially Hogan who was injured most of last season.

So I'm not sure if Cam will be able to outshine his rookie season in terms of personal stats etc. but I think he will have a lot better pieces around him, and more help from the defense which will mean more wins and far better efficiency for his efforts.

I can easily see the entire NFC South going 8-8 this year. On Cam, It will be interesting to see how teams game plan for his running this year. His running covered up some really bad passing games he had last year.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-05-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
I can easily see the entire NFC South going 8-8 this year. On Cam, It will be interesting to see how teams game plan for his running this year. His running covered up some really bad passing games he had last year.

Fair points. He put up some big passing yards - but came up short at clutch moments, most noticeably against you lot (yet again). But I think he's learnt that sometimes you've just got to let plays go and come back for another 4 downs another time. I expect a massive improvement in decision making.

I think teams planning for his running will be a key factor in any success for the Panthers next year - even if Cam barely runs! The Williams/Stewart running game was horribly under-utilised last year, and as I said with the addition of Tolbert at RB/FB I'd expect to see a lot more running from the team, yet less from Cam. Teams will still have to be wary of Cam stretching his legs all the same, which will be a big distraction in their plans.

The general consensus around here is that the Saints are done, Bucs are sleepers who could do better than expected, Panthers have a lot of potential but are difficult to call and unpredictable in defense. However, the buzz on the Falcons is not good. Plenty are saying they could be on a bit of a decline.....

Funk Butter 18-05-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
The general consensus around here is that the Saints are done, Bucs are sleepers who could do better than expected, Panthers have a lot of potential but are difficult to call and unpredictable in defense. However, the buzz on the Falcons is not good. Plenty are saying they could be on a bit of a decline.....

We're waiting around here to see if the team is going to go back on the upswing or continue on the downward path. With Ryan, Gonzalez, Roddy, Julio Jones and Harry Douglas, the passing game should not be a problem. Everyone is terrified, though, that Michael Turner will just fall off a cliff like Shaun Alexander. Snelling is a decent backup, but not a permanent solution and Jacquizz is just too damn small.

As far as the defense goes, who knows what will happen. I was never as down on Brian Van Gorter as other people, I thought he did what he could with the talent we had. Asante Samuel should at least push Robinson into playing better at CB, but I'm sure all 3 CBs will see lots of time with everyone passing 40 times a game. I have no idea what's gonna happen at MLB with Lofton gone. They signed Totupu, but that guy didn't even play last year and Akeem Dent is being groomed for the spot, but I didn't think he was good at Georgia. I was hoping they would run at David Hawthorne, but he signed with New Orleans. (to compete with Curtis Lofton of all people)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-05-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
We're waiting around here to see if the team is going to go back on the upswing or continue on the downward path. With Ryan, Gonzalez, Roddy, Julio Jones and Harry Douglas, the passing game should not be a problem. Everyone is terrified, though, that Michael Turner will just fall off a cliff like Shaun Alexander. Snelling is a decent backup, but not a permanent solution and Jacquizz is just too damn small.

As far as the defense goes, who knows what will happen. I was never as down on Brian Van Gorter as other people, I thought he did what he could with the talent we had. Asante Samuel should at least push Robinson into playing better at CB, but I'm sure all 3 CBs will see lots of time with everyone passing 40 times a game. I have no idea what's gonna happen at MLB with Lofton gone. They signed Totupu, but that guy didn't even play last year and Akeem Dent is being groomed for the spot, but I didn't think he was good at Georgia.

Yes, I think people are wondering if the reach for Julio will come to roost this season with a few holes appearing elsewhere. Bizarrely, Ryan is also coming in for a bit of criticism here and there, with accusations of stagnation/playoff choking etc.

pauldrulez 18-05-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II

I can't rank them anymore.

Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Brees are the top 4 Quarterbacks in football.

Peyton on old form would obviously be there too.

saxoneagle 20-05-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Regardless of the order, there is no argument about who the top 5 are though... sixth is a long way behind 5th unless Peyton comes back and plays like Peyton.

pauldrulez 20-05-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Regardless of the order, there is no argument about who the top 5 are though... sixth is a long way behind 5th unless Peyton comes back and plays like Peyton.

Yep.

peagle 20-05-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle

Assume your top 5 includes Stafford then? (Brees, Brady, E. Manning, Rodgers and him). He hasn't really done anything other than accumulate yards with a pretty good supporting cast yet. Hasn't led a big-time comeback, won a play-off game (only even played one). As opposed to someone like Roethlisberger who has shown himself to be absolutely clutch and has 2 rings (as many as Eli who seems to have jumped up everyone's lists massively because of it!)

oz_da II 20-05-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
Assume your top 5 includes Stafford then? (Brees, Brady, E. Manning, Rodgers and him). He hasn't really done anything other than accumulate yards with a pretty good supporting cast yet. Hasn't led a big-time comeback, won a play-off game (only even played one). As opposed to someone like Roethlisberger who has shown himself to be absolutely clutch and has 2 rings (as many as Eli who seems to have jumped up everyone's lists massively because of it!)

I'd assume it was Turdburger....

peagle 20-05-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

I'd assume it was Turdburger....

Well just because Stafford fit better with the other guys (more traditional quarterback who is going to put up a tonne of yards whereas Roeth. is more of a 'just get it done', stay in the play and make something happen kinda guy... slightly less refined. My argument was twofold though, that it's actually not as clear cut as you may think and to put an argument forward for Big Ben.