CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Funk Butter 30-01-2013 01:58 AM

This is an unfortunate way to be outed.
Quote:

The NFL has no current players and startlingly few ex-players who are known to be gay, but it appears ex-49ers and Raiders offensive tackle Kwame Harris, a former first-round pick, has involuntarily been added to the list as a result of the legal fallout from a fight at a restaurant.

According to the San Mateo Daily Journal, a dispute over soy sauce at Su Hong restaurant in Menlo Park, Calif. last Aug. 21, has landed the former NFL player in court after he assaulted his ex-boyfriend.

Chief deputy district attorney Karen Guidotti told the paper that Harris and the alleged victim had been in a romantic relationship but were not involved at the time of the incident. Harris’ attorney Alin Cintean confirmed to the paper the two "were previously involved" but were just friends when the incident occurred.

Harris pleaded not guilty to felony charges of domestic violence causing great bodily injury and assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, the Daily Journal said. The dispute started when Harris got upset at his friend, Dimitri Geier, for pouring soy sauce on a plate of rice.

According to the paper, which was citing a suit filed in San Mateo County Superior Court, the two argued for seven minutes after the soy sauce was poured, and Harris said he wasn't going to take Geier to the airport as he had said he would. When the two went to get Geier's belongings from Harris' car, Harris accused Geier of stealing his underwear and tried pulling the man's pants down.

Geier tried unsuccessfully to get away, and Harris shook Geier and punched his arms, the paper said. Harris is 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds and Geier is 6-1, 220 pounds. The paper said Geier allegedly struck Harris three times in the face, and then Harris punched Geier several times in the face.
Seth Rogen happened to be filming nearby and got the confrontation on tape:

Strathclyde Eagle 01-02-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
Bad as the weather in London can be, it generally doesn't get as bad as places like MI, MN, MA etc. can get in the winter. And NFL fans don't really travel to 'away' games. Pretty much all NFL games sell out, the Panthers games have sold out consecutively for years but often the stadium is only half full with actual attendees. I guess it would be interesting to see if people with tickets don't go so much in inclement weather conditions. Perhaps the risk to the Superbowl fixture isn't that great, but any risk is enough?

The game wouldn't be at risk, they'll play on any kind of surface. The only time I even remember a game being delayed was due to either lightning or fog (specifically The Fog Bowl between the Bears and Eagles, in what I'd guess was the 1988 playoffs). However for them to try and continue with the usual entertainment might be interesting if they're doing that in a blizzard.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 01-02-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
The game wouldn't be at risk, they'll play on any kind of surface. The only time I even remember a game being delayed was due to either lightning or fog (specifically The Fog Bowl between the Bears and Eagles, in what I'd guess was the 1988 playoffs). However for them to try and continue with the usual entertainment might be interesting if they're doing that in a blizzard.

It's more the surrounding areas rather than the playing surface - wasn't a Pats game almost called off last season due to a snowstorm making the local roads dangerous, and an NFL team stranded in Detroit or Chicago? Airport closures and flight suspensions are fairly commonplace in the colder parts of the US.

Funk Butter 01-02-2013 11:16 PM

The fact is that most people at the Super Bowl are corporate fatcats and they don't want to be cold.

Funk Butter 01-02-2013 11:58 PM

For your perusal:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...-team-position
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d0...g/original.png
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d0...g/original.png

davematt 02-02-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
The fact is that most people at the Super Bowl are corporate fatcats and they don't want to be cold.

They are going to HATE next year then :D

I've listened/watched as much build up this week as possible.

NFL Network's coverage is absolutely superb. Talk about covering every possible angle.

The joint presser with John & Jim earlier today was interesting viewing. John was dressed in a suit and was certainly more joyful, whereas Jim was dressed in his normal 49er clobber and looks like he is done already with all this media hype. He'll be glad that he'll have no more media commitments until after the game now.

Raven's certainly seemed more relaxed about the whole thing; not sure if this gives them any advantage or not, but its an indication that they are maybe slightly more comfortable going into this. As much as I hope Kaepernick is firing on all cylinders come game time, you just feel that he is the crucial aspect of this whole game. If he does his thing, I can't see the Raven's having enough to stop him. If Raven's get to him early (A few hits), knock him off his stride, then this game swings in their favour.

And I'll be brave; Gore vs. Rice. The RB with the better numbers wins the game. These two are crucial to both teams success.

Benzhiyi 02-02-2013 11:03 AM

Brilliant graphic, Funk.

Lol at the Jets!

pauldrulez 02-02-2013 11:05 AM

I wish they'd made a bit more effort to separate the reds a bit more!

Benzhiyi 02-02-2013 11:11 AM

Predicted the Super Bowl in Madden, and it came right down to the penultimate play.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m...&v=afGzBgMuPQ4

Strathclyde Eagle 03-02-2013 11:46 AM

Let's see if we can put that here, shall we? :)

Also, Cousin Sal's Super Bowl prop bets.

Benzhiyi 03-02-2013 01:21 PM

Thanks Tone!

pauldrulez 03-02-2013 01:36 PM

If you're bored Ben, i'll give you a Superbowl game? Or any sort of game!

Latvian Eagle 03-02-2013 03:00 PM

That graphic just goes to show how small a lot of teams including my own Panthers are.

Strathclyde Eagle 03-02-2013 07:24 PM

Dan Le Batard is all over the kind of pain that NFL players endure lately. The story about Lomas Brown in this story isn't for the faint hearted.

Latvian Eagle 03-02-2013 08:00 PM

Won't be watching tonight... Good luck Ravens! :p

Benzhiyi 03-02-2013 08:04 PM

Discovered I'm only seven points off the top of Yahoo's Prediction League. Like, in the world.

First has 183, I'm on 176.

Really should start putting some wonga on this sport.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 03-02-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
That graphic just goes to show how small a lot of teams including my own Panthers are.

I doubt it's that accurate. Agree that the Panthers have a relatively small fanbase due to being a fairly new franchise, but the Redskins have massive support all across the South - they were the ONLY team beneath the Winn - Dixie line at one point!

Lots of Panthers fans grew up as Cowboys/redskins fans etc, but get behind their new team as well. Towns like Charlotte get a lot of northerners relocating for financial sector jobs also, further muddling the picture. Not sure why most of the Carolinas is chock full of Stoolers though (although I do know a few)!

TheMexicanHorse 03-02-2013 08:52 PM

What time is 'kick off' UK time? And what time will it roughly finish UK Time?

Dallas Eagles 03-02-2013 09:08 PM

think it is 3pm here in LA, so there fore it is 11pm UK time
Will be watching the game on tv, luckly i have a late flight at 10pm(PST)

pauldrulez 03-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse
What time is 'kick off' UK time? And what time will it roughly finish UK Time?

11.30 actual start.

Anthems, intros and stuff from 11.15ish