CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 07:31 PM

Steve, I got mine off eBay and they arrived today and look fine.

Ben, what was the merchandise like in that hotel/pub last year?

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 07:38 PM

Oh, and sad news from Foxboro

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._harrison.html
Quote:

A league source confirmed that, as first reported on NFL.com, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison suffered a torn quadriceps muscle in his right leg last night during the Patriots' 41-7 win over the Denver Broncos.

The injury definitely ends Harrison's 2008 season and very likely could signal the end of an outstanding 15-year career that could land Harrison into the Hall of Fame.

The 35-year-old Harrison is looking at a long and arduous rehabilitation with the quad injury, and he may elect to retire rather than try to comeback from yet another devastating injury.

That seemed to be the thought in Harrison's mind as he was carted off the field Monday night after being injured on the final play of the third quarter while chasing Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. As he was carted off the field, Harrison pointed to his teammates and waved to the fans.

He also shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "What can I do?"

During a conference call this afternoon, Patriots coach Bill Belichick did not confirm the details Harrison's injury, saying he would have more information "when it becomes available."

"It was difficult [for all of us] watching Rodney get carted off," Belichick said.

Monday was a difficult day regarding injuries for the Patriots. Running back Laurence Maroney was placed on injured reserve in the afternoon with a shoulder injury. Then, during the game, running back Sammy Morris suffered a knee injury and did not play in the second half after compiling a career-high 138 yards on the ground in the first half.
John Lynch return after his decent pre-season I would imagine, and Bill left the door open for him. Although as I said that Merriweather-Sanders would be good.

Vince Wilfork after that lovely right hook last night, step forward and claim the Dirtiest Player award please.

saxoneagle 21-10-2008 08:17 PM

Told you. Last we've seen of the great man on the field, I fear.

Swanny32 21-10-2008 08:27 PM

I'll wait for Elliott to get back to me on the shirt i have found on Ebay and see what he thinks of it. It's 29.99 so pretty good price but not cheap enough to definitely be a fake, i just hate giving money to those kinds of people.

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 08:40 PM

Saxon,

Here is what I hope happens.

Junior (Seau), Teddy and Rodney all come back for one last hurrah in 2009 with the great man under center. And then they along with Vrabel and Izzo ride off into the sunset with a 19-0 Superbowl win. Well minus the 19-0 anyway.

This was likely to happen before Rodneys season-ender and after #12s injury.

saxoneagle 21-10-2008 09:07 PM

You talk some poo, Paul.

If this season has shown anything, it has shown that good/great teams are only good/great for so long.

Colts got ripped apart by the Packers. And the Chargers? NFL is cyclical and our ageing team is moving down that cycle right now.

We're not "bad", like 49ers or Lions or Bengals "bad", but equally we've had one good performance this year and that was last night. Whether that continues, is another matter. If it does, I'll re-assess next year.

Right now - Seau, Tedy and Rodney are unlikely to feature next year plus some others too. That's a huge hole in an average defence.

jazman 21-10-2008 09:34 PM

It's quite refreshing to hear to opinions from the same fans you two. No offence Paul, but you are so biased it's untrue. Not that thats a bad thing though fella. Just nice to hear some realism from Saxon on here to pull your reins back in.

Agreed, awful news for Harrison. Hate to see any player suffer through injury but one that could signal the end of a great career is sad.

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 09:44 PM

I am willing to bet the Brady shirt(especially since the Cowboys are going as far as Brighton) that at least two of them are in the 53 at some point next year IF Brady comes back and plays during Camp and pre-season.

jazman 21-10-2008 10:09 PM

You don't value your Brady shirt now do you Paul .. :D

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 10:21 PM

Nope.

I have 2 more winging their way here to add to the 2 I have and 1 I lost.

jazman 21-10-2008 10:33 PM

I have a sneaky suspicion Mrs JM is up to something. I've been having to answer lots of NFL questions this evening as well as her taking an interest in watching the Americas Game I was watching :eek:

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 10:45 PM

Oooh, what could it be?

Is Saturdays Americas Game shown again? I missed it which slightly peeved me off.

jazman 21-10-2008 10:57 PM

Just hope she doesn't think I'm a Pats fan as it was the 2001 story that was shown on Saturday! :D

I love the way they paint the picture, adding the drama and all that. This was about Brady when he was first picked up and being back up to Drew Bledsoe, then the QB coach passed away ... Bledsoe received a bad hit in the Jets match which led to internal bleeding and that was Brady's chance ...

I beleive it is shown again some time in the week Paul, can't recall when.

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 11:03 PM

Vic Carucci a bit premature.

He has dropped the Cowboys from the Top 12 teams and replaced them with the Patriots.

He has the Colts in the Bottom 8 teams but the Jets in the middle of the pack despite having the same record.

In mine, I would have the Cowboys just at the bottom of the Top 12. So 12th.

And then I would have the Patriots at 13. But right now, they arent a playoff team. If the Bills keep going like this then we will probably need 10/11 wins to get a wildcard as the Bills will go at least 12-4 unless they fall apart.

Looking at next week. The big game must be the Monday Night encounter between the Titans and the Colts. Both are play-off contenders and both SHOULD have Superbowl aspirations. But, one is 6-0 and one is 3-3. Could this be the week that the Colts put it all together again and the Titans D falls apart. The Skins should have a field day this week in their game, and Matt Ryan faces a secondary including Asante Samuel with the Falcons looking for their 5th win.

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Just hope she doesn't think I'm a Pats fan as it was the 2001 story that was shown on Saturday! :D

I love the way they paint the picture, adding the drama and all that. This was about Brady when he was first picked up and being back up to Drew Bledsoe, then the QB coach passed away ... Bledsoe received a bad hit in the Jets match which led to internal bleeding and that was Brady's chance ...

I beleive it is shown again some time in the week Paul, can't recall when.

Thanks, will have a look. If I cant find it then I will youtube it.

2008 would have been a great invincible season for Americas Game. But instead its a great comeback, with some great moments from the New York Football Giants especially Tynes kick, the helmet catch and the Sack that never was.

jazman 21-10-2008 11:09 PM

It's such an inconsistent season already though with the Titans showing any real purpose on the pitch. It will be interesting to see how they react to a loss, if indeed they do lose.

I think there is always a bandwagon travelling through when any 'big' team doesn't deliver. And the Cowboys have been subject of that very bandwagon on too many occasions in the past few season. A terrible week for us last week in more ways than one. I just hope we can bounce back this week at home to Tampa. Not easy, not easy at all. This is what I mean about the Titans reaction. We were 3 and 0 and looking good, then the wheels came off.

I would agree with you Paul, I think we are just keeping our heads above water in 12th spot but really anything can and probably will happen.

jazman 21-10-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Thanks, will have a look. If I cant find it then I will youtube it.

2008 would have been a great invincible season for Americas Game. But instead its a great comeback, with some great moments from the New York Football Giants especially Tynes kick, the helmet catch and the Sack that never was.

I've just checked and it's not on the A-Z in the next 24 hours. I'm sure it's on late one night though, if I find it I'll shout. I enjoyed it even though I'm not a Pats fan. Enjoyed them in the build up to the Superbowl earlier this year. I think they showed the previous 10 in order. Got me back up to speed in terms of the seasons I'd missed out on ...

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 11:27 PM

I think with the Cowboys, it comes down to massaging TOs ego, while giving the ball to Witten, Barber, Felix, Crayton and now Roy Williams as well.

And when Tony comes back from his Simpson-break, he will need to work out how to do this. Sort of like how Cassel did to Moss last night. Its the first time I have seen him dancing around happy and celebrating all season. And for me it was a great sight.

Sure, Cassel does have less weapons to use than Romo so it is easier to balance it. But, the key to the Cowboys is getting the team adjusted which just about sorts out TO but uses the other weapons to his advantage.

This year, its all going to come down to whatever team puts a run together from the start of December. As long as they are in touching distance of the play-offs, one streak and they can be in the Superbowl.

pauldrulez 21-10-2008 11:29 PM

Oh and for Sunday:

Pre-game entertainment will be the Stereophonics.

British National Anthem will be sung by Joss Stone and her USA/Cornwall accent

US National Anthem will be sung by Ne-yo.

jazman 21-10-2008 11:35 PM

Couldn't agree more with you Paul. Which is why am not concerned at the Cowboys inconsistently at the moment. If they do get a run together then now wouldn't be a bad time to do it. If teams were spanking their divisions like the Titans appear to be doing in theres then I would be worried but it's pretty tight all round at the moment. Sure, the Giants look like they could win our division but even they could come across a hiccup like they did against the Browns on last week. Three big games coming up though in Tampa, Giants and then the Skins which will probably shape our season.

It remains to be seen when Romo is back. If he was touch and go for the weekend, then I'm sure he'll be in this week particularly after the Rams performance. Seems like we need some stability in there with so many other players missing like brother Jones, Newman and Romo. Watching the post match Phillips interview, a man looking like one that didn't know what had just hit him. He admitted that was the worst he had seen the Cowboys play since he had been there so hopefully thats where it ends.

I like what Cassel and the Pats did against the Broncos. A team with Jay Cutler that looked like they were looking to do something this season, and may still do so. Bit of a spanking though, just like the Rams did for us.