CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 31-12-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
So annoyed last night. Sat down to watch NFL Gameday and for some reason it was not on my Sky planner .. :veryangry Started an inquest in my household but no one has owned up as yet ... That is my weekly ritual .. and no matter how much on teh Sunday action you watch you can never take in everything which is where NFL Gameday comes in for me ... :sob:

And it's not on next week either ... as far as I can see ... :rolleyes:

Was that Monday's Gameday? If so I set mine for that and came home from work to find it hadn't recorded. No sign of it on the planner either. The Mrs insisted she hadn't deleted it either (no tell-tale smirks or looking away either). Think something else might be up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by davematt
It has just occured to me; I am going to be in the States for the Superbowl!!!

Enjoy! :p

You have to go to Super Bowl party, but don't be surprised if most people look forward to the ads and aren't too bothered about the game. One of the weirdest wrinkles to an enjoyable day.

jazman 31-12-2008 01:45 PM

And the 2010 Pro Bowl will be played in Miami BEFORE the Superbowl ....

jazman 31-12-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Was that Monday's Gameday? If so I set mine for that and came home from work to find it hadn't recorded. No sign of it on the planner either. The Mrs insisted she hadn't deleted it either (no tell-tale smirks or looking away either). Think something else might be up.

Yes it was. Normally on at 11am and 5pm I think .... interesting. I'll stop my incriminations at home then ... :D Maybe they've canned it for the season. How annoying as all teh US series I watch at the moment are in the mid-season break as well!! :rolleyes:

Strathclyde Eagle 31-12-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/dallas-cowboys/salary

Don't know what you guys now about salaries in the NFL but found this link very interesting indeed. Highest earner I could find is Big Ben who is on $27 million I think I recall correctly ...

Amazed that the Pats are 30th in the list of salary payers!!

Have no idea how true this is though ....

I hate admitting this, but I'm well out of touch with all salary aspects of the NFL. Cap levels per team, minimum wage, the reasons why contracts are back-loaded (doesn't seem to make sense for a player to sign that if you ask me), signing bonuses counting towards caps, etc. In the past few years I've only noticed daft stories like Dick Vermeil giving Trent Green a bottle of wine counting towards KC's cap figure, rather than the bigger overall picture.

jazman 31-12-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

I hate admitting this, but I'm well out of touch with all salary aspects of the NFL. Cap levels per team, minimum wage, the reasons why contracts are back-loaded (doesn't seem to make sense for a player to sign that if you ask me), signing bonuses counting towards caps, etc. In the past few years I've only noticed daft stories like Dick Vermeil giving Trent Green a bottle of wine counting towards KC's cap figure, rather than the bigger overall picture.

Now you saying that makes me wonder how true the figures on the link I posted above may be ....

Strathclyde Eagle 31-12-2008 02:13 PM

I've put it on my "research" list. :D

Jaz, did you see about the guy who visited the Cowboys' training camp with a sandwich board? Sounded like he had some reasonable points.

Latvian Eagle 31-12-2008 02:26 PM

:D Can't wait for Wild Card Weekend! :lux:

elliott 31-12-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

In the past few years I've only noticed daft stories like Dick Vermeil giving Trent Green a bottle of wine counting towards KC's cap figure, rather than the bigger overall picture.

Do hugs count?

I think everyone in the world would like to hug Dick Vermeil.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

elliott 31-12-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

And the 2010 Pro Bowl will be played in Miami BEFORE the Superbowl ....

so no superbowl players will play???

imagine the furore when a WR twists his ankle, or when a punter gets nailed out of the superbowl.

hmm...

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 04:03 PM

I can clear up NFL Gameday and also Total Access.

SKY have been banned from showing Gameday and Tuesday/Wednesday (1 or the other) and Saturdays(USA Friday Edition) NFL:Total Access.

This is because of the advertisements that feature during the show.

For instance, This weeks Gameday was completely sponsored by KFC which for some reason means a lot of those features would have to be blanked out and silenced.
Total Access has got the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week, GMC Defensive Player of the week, etc. etc.

These are also illegal to show for some reason.

Anyway, i'll attempt to clear up the salaries as well as some awards and betting news in the next couple of posts.

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 04:10 PM

Rookies of the Year:

Offensive: Matt Ryan, Quarterback, Atlanta. 44 votes
2nd: Chris Johnson, Running Back, Tennessee 3 votes
3rd: Ryan Clady, Tackle, Denver. 2 votes
4th: Matt Forte, Running Back, Chicago. 1 vote

Defensive: Jerod Mayo, Linebacker, New England 49 VOTES :eek:
2nd: Keith Rivers, Linebacker, Cincinnati 1 vote

Congratulations to both Matt and Jerod. Although I'm surprised that Flacco didn't get one vote.
And what douchebag prevented Mayo from a unanimous verdict.

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 04:18 PM

Next, Betting News:

A wildcard team to get to the Superbowl (Basically become Conference Champions) 9/4 (I cant remember where but its in the Sun) Bargain surely with the Colts and Eagles in form in their respective conferences.

And with salaries, the Patriots always juggle money around to ensure a big amount of cap is always available.

Did I put my wishlist up before from Free Agency.
Nnamdi Asomugha and Darren Sproles. A trade for Gonzalez would be nice ;)

jazman 31-12-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
I can clear up NFL Gameday and also Total Access.

SKY have been banned from showing Gameday and Tuesday/Wednesday (1 or the other) and Saturdays(USA Friday Edition) NFL:Total Access.

This is because of the advertisements that feature during the show.

For instance, This weeks Gameday was completely sponsored by KFC which for some reason means a lot of those features would have to be blanked out and silenced.
Total Access has got the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week, GMC Defensive Player of the week, etc. etc.

These are also illegal to show for some reason.

Anyway, i'll attempt to clear up the salaries as well as some awards and betting news in the next couple of posts.

Oh FFS ... that is so annoying, that is my fix gone now ... Sky should jump on the bandwagon and do one themselves .... that answers the disapearance of Total Access every week day then other than Wednesday ... :rolleyes:

jazman 31-12-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

I've put it on my "research" list. :D

Jaz, did you see about the guy who visited the Cowboys' training camp with a sandwich board? Sounded like he had some reasonable points.

No Strathers, I didn't. Where is that news story?

jazman 31-12-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
so no superbowl players will play???

imagine the furore when a WR twists his ankle, or when a punter gets nailed out of the superbowl.

hmm...

I'm pretty certain that they won't play in it then, but didn't the Giants have only one player representing them last season?

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 05:04 PM

The sooner they get Total Access over here the better.

And the source on Bradys injury has said he is 20 weeks behind with his rehabilitation.

Someone please point out the fault in that argument :D

If the Pats got to the Superbowl next year, odds are Belichick would refuse to let anyone go.

Why not get rid of it, let the players that are nominated have a week in Hawaii with their families and do some sort of charity competitions.

i.e Kicking competitions between the Kickers and Punters. Fastest 40 times etc, etc.

Just name the teams and do the charity thing instead. Much easier and less pressure on the players.

jazman 31-12-2008 05:42 PM

Ok, signing out for the last time this year so to all fellow NFL fans, enjoy the celebrations this evening/later today wherever you are and I bid you all a very happy new year .. bring on 2009!

:lux: :) :p

jazman 31-12-2008 05:52 PM

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ocho+toolo&meta=

And this will make Saxon and Paul laugh ... :D

Latvian Eagle 31-12-2008 06:57 PM

Not too sure that I'm allowed to do this so please forgive me if I'm being bad...

But basically my missus has put her foot down now we're expecting LE Junior in May and I have to sell a whole load of stuff, so if anyone is interested in a NY Giants Jersey (MANNING 10) or a Chicago Bears (URLACHER 54) jersey, in size Medium, please PM me.

:hi::p I'd rather they went to someone I know rather than some numpty after a cheap baragin on Ebay.

PS. Of course I'ms till keeping my Carolina Panthers jerseys! :lux:

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ocho+toolo&meta=

And this will make Saxon and Paul laugh ... :D

:D

:eek: :angel: