CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

jazman 16-01-2009 11:46 PM

He was not needed Paul, end of.

saxoneagle 16-01-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Start to turn into a bit of a cock fest in here .. ;)

Only one cock in here, jaz. :p

pauldrulez 16-01-2009 11:52 PM

You are all women then :hi:

Dont make me bore you with the ins and outs of Bubba Ventrone.

jazman 16-01-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Only one cock in here, jaz. :p

I know there are a few teams in the NFL with birds on their logo but I cannot recall a cock being one of them ... ;)

pauldrulez 17-01-2009 12:17 AM

Gruden out in Tampa Bay as well as their GM.

jj62255 17-01-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez

Wow, didn't see that one coming, guess he won't have trouble finding a new job though

Strathclyde Eagle 17-01-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Must admit I didn't see that coming. Thought he was close to untouchable there, although he did deserve criticism for the way he handled QBs and also the way the Buccs folded down the stretch (losing at home to the Raiders, really?).

BTW I'll be different and say that someone like Williams was needed in Big D. Lots of writers said that the Cowboys could use another good receiver to take DBs away from TO. My problem is with the price they paid to get him (the issue of Williams' performances post-trade being another matter that no-one really saw coming).

Strathclyde Eagle 17-01-2009 10:34 AM

The Buccs supposedly have guys lined up to do the jobs already. :eek:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/...n-to-Bucs.html

pauldrulez 17-01-2009 10:59 AM

The Glazers kept that quiet.

Wonder what the Bucs fans think of it?

The Broncos fans were upset that McDaniels didn't tell them anything in their first press conference.

The Indy fans are seemingly happy with Dungy's replacement.

The Browns fans are mixed on Mangenius's appointment.

jazman 17-01-2009 01:02 PM

Gruden out? I am very suprised by that and he is one coach that I have a lot of time for after watching one of the America's Game programmes.

Hear a lot of chat last night about TO and the Cowboys. The big question is will Jerry Jones get rid of him amongst the rumours? You have to remember that this is the very same guy who gave him a new contract last season ... so I can't see it personally. TO managed 10 TDs this season and he is the kind of talent that you need in a team together with a very good QB and RB. The RB department we are fine, but the QB still has something to prove in my mind.

But will he or won't he .. will be interesting to hear any developments.

saxoneagle 17-01-2009 05:37 PM

I think Gruden screwing the QBs around was the first nail in his coffin, even if it did come early in the season and he only missed the play-offs by half a game. Garcia is the #1 there, no-one comes close on the roster so why try to play clever games?

The final one was definitely choking in the run-in.

jlmatthews 17-01-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

The Browns fans are mixed on Mangenius's appointment.

Not pleased with it in my corner of Ohio.

saxoneagle 17-01-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlmatthews
Not pleased with it in my corner of Ohio.

Yep, I've not anything much positive said about the appointment other than in Cincy and the green half of NY!

jazman 18-01-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
BTW I'll be different and say that someone like Williams was needed in Big D. Lots of writers said that the Cowboys could use another good receiver to take DBs away from TO. My problem is with the price they paid to get him (the issue of Williams' performances post-trade being another matter that no-one really saw coming).

Fair point well made fella. I think you have hit the nail on the head by the fact that Williams performances since he arrived in Dallas were likened to the invisible man ... if that wasn't the case I'm sure it wouldn't be spoken about quite so much.

pauldrulez 18-01-2009 12:39 PM

I think in Dallas's case, its a bit cliquey.

Romo and Witten are best buddies so the ball always seems to be going to Witten. But, Witten rarely drops the ball. One of the top Tight-ends in the game.

Whereas you have TO. I think he is Jerry Jones's guy right now. If the ball is thrown to TO, it'll either be a Touchdown or a spectacular catch. He is without doubt, a game changer. But, he drops the simplest of balls at times.

If the ball has to be thrown at Owens, and Romo then looks for Witten. There isn't the ball to go around that allows the ball to be thrown deep for Williams or even just for a first down. You then have Crayton and Austin picking up the odd reception as well as Marion Barber/Choice as well as Felix Jones. Its going to be interesting at Dallas to see how it is all going to work out.

nookiebear 18-01-2009 01:24 PM

Crikey, I'd forgotten Williams was there

He's actually the kind of wide receiver needed in Washington

Benzhiyi 18-01-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

I think in Dallas's case, its a bit cliquey.

Romo and Witten are best buddies so the ball always seems to be going to Witten. But, Witten rarely drops the ball. One of the top Tight-ends in the game.

Whereas you have TO. I think he is Jerry Jones's guy right now. If the ball is thrown to TO, it'll either be a Touchdown or a spectacular catch. He is without doubt, a game changer. But, he drops the simplest of balls at times.

If the ball has to be thrown at Owens, and Romo then looks for Witten. There isn't the ball to go around that allows the ball to be thrown deep for Williams or even just for a first down. You then have Crayton and Austin picking up the odd reception as well as Marion Barber/Choice as well as Felix Jones. Its going to be interesting at Dallas to see how it is all going to work out.

Do you know what 'checking down' is, Paul?

Most defenses make Owens their priority, hence Romo often doing the sensible think and checking down. First to Witten, then Crayton, then the running back. (Williams has been so ineffective he hardly figures.)

Also, WItten is probably the best tight in the game at getting open. If he is, and that gets you the first down, why wouldn't you throw it to him?

As for your claim that 'If the ball is thrown to TO, it'll either be a Touchdown or a spectacular catch', rubbish. He led the league in drops last year and had a fair few this. If it was that simple they'd throw to him every play and be 16-0.

pauldrulez 18-01-2009 01:41 PM

Thats what I meant.

He is a game changer, but he makes the stupidest mistakes. Dropping the ball frequently.

I did put he drops the ball when it should be the simplest of catches.

And yes I know what checking down is. When they are using Owens and Witten, what was the need to blow so much money and picks on Williams? Unless he is being prepared for Owens' eventual retirement, t

130/276 for Owens and Witten

Witten 74
Owens 56

So, 47% of Romo's go to Owens and Witten.

When Johnson and Bollinger were QB for 3 games, Owens had 13 receptions and Witten 7(although his back was in trouble at the time) out of the 80+ throws they made.

I'm going to find out how many drops each Receiver had.

pauldrulez 18-01-2009 01:50 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Stats after the first 4 games of the season I think.

I'm digging deeper though.

Determined to find out some comparisons between the great receivers and the improved ones.

jazman 18-01-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
Do you know what 'checking down' is, Paul?

Most defenses make Owens their priority, hence Romo often doing the sensible think and checking down. First to Witten, then Crayton, then the running back. (Williams has been so ineffective he hardly figures.)

Also, WItten is probably the best tight in the game at getting open. If he is, and that gets you the first down, why wouldn't you throw it to him?

As for your claim that 'If the ball is thrown to TO, it'll either be a Touchdown or a spectacular catch', rubbish. He led the league in drops last year and had a fair few this. If it was that simple they'd throw to him every play and be 16-0.

Agree and to some of Paul's post. But TO has been quite ineffective this season, but this has got a lot to do with the coverage that TO has got this season which is probably why Romo has had to look elsewhere. Witten is a great tight end, arguably the best this season. Equally, Crayton, Austin, Felix Jones and Marion Barber are options which is why it is madness how our season ended. In saying that Felix Jones injury was such a shame as he showed so much promise and the fact that Barber struggled late on but that has shown us a new gem in Choice. A magnitude of riches in Dallas to start a new era next season with or without TO. And Williams will have to step up to the plate for sure. Will be interesting and I'm hopeful that we SHOULD be there or there abouts at the end of the regular season.