CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

ardeo 04-08-2009 03:33 PM

Maclin has signed for the Eagles now, on a five year contract worth about 15 million dollars with 9.7 guarenteed, or something like that.

Things going well generally in training camp apparently too

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 04-08-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Maclin has signed for the Eagles now, on a five year contract worth about 15 million dollars with 9.7 guarenteed, or something like that.

Things going well generally in training camp apparently too

Apart from the injury to MLB Stewart Bradley :(

ardeo 05-08-2009 10:21 AM

Yea that's a bummer, but didn't read too much about it yesterday, and couldn't remember his name, so didn't put it up!

pauldrulez 06-08-2009 05:03 PM

Still on holiday luckily for you all. May be returning tomorrow or 2 weeks tomorrow which I know you are all looking forward to ;)

Talk about fate.

Anyone see the new QB the Pats have signed as 3rd QB.

None other than Andrew Walter.

Legendary stuff.

Can´t wait for pre-season to begin :D

Laters y´all

jazman 06-08-2009 06:21 PM

Silence was golden ... ;)

Reading today that the Romo-Williams link up is coming along nicely in the training camp .. which is good news for us Cowboys ...

Strathclyde Eagle 06-08-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Still on holiday luckily for you all. May be returning tomorrow or 2 weeks tomorrow which I know you are all looking forward to ;)

Talk about fate.

Anyone see the new QB the Pats have signed as 3rd QB.

None other than Andrew Walter.

Legendary stuff.

Can´t wait for pre-season to begin :D

Laters y´all

Must admit I did smile to myself when I heard that news.

jazman 07-08-2009 08:09 AM

In follow up to my earlier post Roy Williams was interviewed on Total Access last night. Sounds very promising, Felix Jones back and fully fit after injury last season, Sam Hurd making some good catches in training camp and Williams and Romo working out a good understanding. Appears that the two of them were the first two players to arrive at training camp, a couple of days early to work together. All sounds promising if you ask me ... Roy Williams spoke on his signing for the Cowboys that it was the team he supported and originally came from Texas so was a no brainer for him when they came in midway through last season ...

pauldrulez 07-08-2009 11:37 PM

Roy Williams seemed like a decent guy but his body language to me said that he was pissed off with a) the TO questions and b) the mentions of Witten all the time.

I personally think he will do well this year, despite my laughter at the trade.

Felix Jones will have a huge year. Hopefully.

Oh, I chose to come home and wind you all up instead :)

Derrick Burgess anyone? Is it because he was in the blood-sucking place that is Oakland or because he has lost a step. Doesn't bode well for any depth we had.

What have I missed anyway? 12 days feels like a lifetime away.

Swanny32 08-08-2009 02:35 AM

Anyone know if thw Eagles v Pats pre season game is going to be shown on any sky channels?

peagle 08-08-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Anyone know if thw Eagles v Pats pre season game is going to be shown on any sky channels?

Just thinking that, should be an interesting match up to see where they are comparatively.

elliott 08-08-2009 09:44 AM

That reminds me of a question.

Miami have a preseason game on Fox. Reckon ESPN zone will show that? I need somewhere to watch it.

Do they show other channels or just ESPN?

Strathclyde Eagle 08-08-2009 10:25 AM

From my experience I think they have multiple TVs showing different channels. Might be wrong though, been nearly five years since I was at one.

jazman 08-08-2009 10:45 AM

What does an NFL friendly actually mean though? Can teams get much out of it or really go for it?

I'm really positive for the season the Cowboys could have and agree with what Paul has said above ...

pauldrulez 08-08-2009 11:35 AM

:eek:

Another agreement from Jaz. 2 in 3 months. :eek:

Oh, Pre-season will not be shown on SKY apparently.

None at all if what I saw was correct.

But, there are always games around online.

I recommend downloading Sopcast and TVAnts and i'll put some links (or PM if I cant post) links to games.

I saw 2 of the 3 Patriots games last year from pre-season. With the other being on Sky and the other not shown anywhere bar the local areas of the teams.

The teams supported on here are also the high-supported teams of the NFL and some of the most successful (apart from the Eagles) ;) (Timeout: What other sport have I heard that in?) :D

It's likely you'll see the games you want, and if people want it I can find out the links for their teams on gameday as I do it for Patriots games, so no hassle for me.

Strathclyde Eagle 08-08-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
What does an NFL friendly actually mean though? Can teams get much out of it or really go for it?

The biggest thing you're talking about is players playing for jobs, and in some instances, players looking for starting jobs.

Beyond that it is too long and you can guarantee at least one team will lose a key player in the pre-season and bleat about it afterwards.

pauldrulez 08-08-2009 12:55 PM

I enjoy it because I get to see some of the lesser players get a chance to play.

Also gives some players a chance to show they can do something. In the case of 5th/6th/7th round rookies and UnDrafted Free Agents, they may be cut and then put on practise squad.

If a rookie, say Brian Hoyer (I have to use the Patriots in this case as I can't be sure on other teams depth charts) who was an Undrafted QB this year.

He comes in in the 4th Quarter against the Eagles. Brady has gone 8 for 12 on the first 2 drives for a TD and a FG. O'Connell played until the second drive of the 3rd Quarter as backup and, and Andrew Walter has been given 3 drives which result in an INT, a punt to the 2 yard line after a sack on 3rd and 8 and a 3 and out. Hoyer then comes in and throws 2 TDs on 3 drives to average receivers.

He has then made it difficult to be cut by the Patriots and to try and stash him on the Practice Squad. As he would almost certainly be picked up by somebody.

(Wow, that was a rambling post for no bloody reason)

jazman 08-08-2009 01:12 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of friendly matches. Just too much lack lustre play going on in my view. I understand players who are on the fringes wanting to get a place in the starting side. But as Strathers said, there is so much risk of picking up an injury. When I used to play football I treated a friendly in the same way as a league or cup game, I just could not play half hearted ....

pauldrulez 08-08-2009 01:20 PM

The difference is though, they need these matches to get the timing right. They need to know if the Tackles can block the rushers.

Last year, Brady was kept out of pre-season. Out for first 2 matches. Last 2 matches, there were rumours of heavy blitzing so he was kept out. And it came to pass, Cassel and the rest were flattened at times.

The likes of Brady, Manning and Brees will play for 2 drives. The first team defense play for a quarter or so.

I think Umenyiora got hurt last year. Did Merriman get hurt or was he already hurt coming into the season? It's luck of the draw to who gets injured, it could be Roy Williams, it could be D-Ware or it could be a 3rd string TightEnd.

I cant wait because I want to see Brady play and Galloway and Moss streaking down the field. But, I also like to watch the newly drafted players and the free agents/traded for players to see how they fit in in the pecking order.

Other things are what you hear from Training Camp. I've heard that Mayo has been a beast. He's been named as Defensive Captain this year for pre-season. But I want to see if he'll be sent on blitzes this year rather than just stuffing the run and on coverage.

Last year, reports were that Fernando Bryant would be a starting Corner. He done alright before being flattened in the final game against the Giants. He was then cut before the regular season. He went off to be a 4th CB for the Steelers, got a SB ring and then promptly retired.

jazman 08-08-2009 01:23 PM

I just don't do friendlies in any sport, I don't beleive it's for the spectator ... and it's certainly rarely competitive ..

pauldrulez 08-08-2009 01:26 PM

Which is why I wouldn't call this a friendly IMO.

The Pro Bowl is a friendly.

Pre-season is more like the FA/League Cup games. The first teams don't play for long. The second/third/fourth string players are playing for their numbers, their career and their spots. Helmet to Helmet (oo-er) contact is there, there are penalties. If you don't play hard, you get knocked down. That's the way it is.