CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

davech 17-08-2019 12:04 AM

54% getting you an 'A' grade in A-Level Maths.

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14882643)
54% getting you an 'A' grade in A-Level Maths.

So 3 out of 10 got you an A? :rolleyes:

hughff 17-08-2019 12:33 AM

Scaling. I assume that there is a percentage of candidates who must get a particular grade (say, 10% get A). If the 1,000th highest scoring candidate out of 10,000 got 54%, then that's an A. It does suggest that whoever set the exam needs to re-evaluate their own standards but it is probably the most common method of moderation in education worldwide.

thefox 17-08-2019 03:06 AM

I'm pretty sure it was 80% = A in my day. 54% would have been a D.
Why do they need to lower the grades especially these days when the resources available to kids on the net etc shit on what we used to have or is that the problem ? Everything is available at the click of a mouse and no effort is needed ?

CP-RJW 17-08-2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14882689)
I'm pretty sure it was 80% = A in my day. 54% would have been a D.
Why do they need to lower the grades especially these days when the resources available to kids on the net etc shit on what we used to have or is that the problem ? Everything is available at the click of a mouse and no effort is needed ?

Exams and school in general was a piece of piss back in the day compared to now, according to pretty much every teacher I ever had.

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14882691)
Exams and school in general was a piece of piss back in the day compared to now, according to pretty much every teacher I ever had.

Funny you say that, the general consensus is it's the other way around.

Then again, what do you consider "back in the day"? Turn of the millennium, or 1970's?

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 03:32 AM

The last exam I took was to become a Certified Manufacturing Engineer. The pass mark was 60%.

I passed with 61%, and my boss failed with 59%.... excellent result!

PeterH 17-08-2019 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 14882659)
Scaling. I assume that there is a percentage of candidates who must get a particular grade (say, 10% get A). If the 1,000th highest scoring candidate out of 10,000 got 54%, then that's an A. It does suggest that whoever set the exam needs to re-evaluate their own standards but it is probably the most common method of moderation in education worldwide.

That sounds like a universal rush to the bottom....

CP-RJW 17-08-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14882694)
Funny you say that, the general consensus is it's the other way around.

Then again, what do you consider "back in the day"? Turn of the millennium, or 1970's?

Could’ve been a bullshit way of reassuring us then! 70s mainly, most of my teachers at GCSE and A level were on the older side.

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14882706)
Could’ve been a bullshit way of reassuring us then! 70s mainly, most of my teachers at GCSE and A level were on the older side.

Well they should know.

To be honest I don't know, and I'm sure everyone will say their exams were harder than their parents/elders. (We said the same!)

hughff 17-08-2019 06:19 AM

I knew I shouldn't have got into this. Here goes:
1. It's inaccurate to believe either was harder. Historical exam problems placed a far greater emphasis on being able to memorise facts, write fluently and perform certain operations whereas modern exams are far more centered around applications of the skills. That's why a 1980s' Maths exam could be printed on a single piece of paper yet now it takes a small booklet. The problems are much wordier (requiring greater functional literacy) and require you to do the (for example) differentiation in the context of an actual situation.
2. Scaling was much more common back in the day because you never had to admit to it. (I assume it's the same in the UK as here - in the 1970s a student never saw the exam script after it was marked but today it is returned to them.) Before students got their exam papers back, it was not unusual for a result of 30% to be scaled up to 85%. There's a complicated formula which is used and was, in fact, part of the curriculum for New Zealand students studying scholarship (A level) Maths. Of course, the only number reported to the students and general public was the final, scaled percentage. However, subject teachers got to see markers' reports which included a discussion on the scaling. I remember reading them when I started teaching in the 1990s.
3. Statisticians who track these things do tell us that IQ scores are getting progressively, incrementally better. At least in part this is because the tests are starting to remove cultural biases that count against certain candidates but also because we are, apparently, over the course of decades, getting more intelligent. Hard to believe when you look at our leaders...

PIE "N" MASH 17-08-2019 07:55 AM

Dickheads that start there engines on the car deck of a ferry before it's even touched land.15 minutes next to a coach last night before we got off:jerkit:

People who are so thick they don't note where they have left there car on this ferry thing,or which stairs they should be using:wallbash:

Being back home after a cracking holiday:sob:

Worksop Palace 17-08-2019 09:13 AM

People who get there, they’re and their mixed up.....

:p

Phil's Barber 17-08-2019 09:34 AM

Yup, their idiots.

chrisophiex 17-08-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil's Barber (Post 14882788)
Yup, their idiots.


Your not wrong.

davech 17-08-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14882694)
Funny you say that, the general consensus is it's the other way around.

Then again, what do you consider "back in the day"? Turn of the millennium, or 1970's?

That's what my old A-Level Latin master used to tell me back in 1971! (He was a 50-year old asthmatic hunchback with one lung - true) "I was doing this for O-Level, boy!!" :D

davech 17-08-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14882689)
I'm pretty sure it was 80% = A in my day. 54% would have been a D.
Why do they need to lower the grades especially these days when the resources available to kids on the net etc shit on what we used to have or is that the problem ? Everything is available at the click of a mouse and no effort is needed ?

Agreed. Surely you need consistency. How do prospective employers and the like know how evaluate an 'A' grade from one year to the next? Exams may well be a little harder/easier from one year to the next, but that was how the cookie crumbled.

I realise curricula have changed since my day in the dark ages, particularly in the sciences, but surely the fundamental building blocks of mathematics are largely constant? Dumbing-down at its finest. If it is not up to standard,surely it is not worth a pseudo 'A' grade?

Worksop Palace 17-08-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14882813)
That's what my old A-Level Latin master used to tell me back in 1971! (He was a 50-year old asthmatic hunchback with one lung - true) "I was doing this for O-Level, boy!!" :D

:D

wedgetail 17-08-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 14882719)
I knew I shouldn't have got into this. Here goes:
1. It's inaccurate to believe either was harder. Historical exam problems placed a far greater emphasis on being able to memorise facts, write fluently and perform certain operations whereas modern exams are far more centered around applications of the skills. That's why a 1980s' Maths exam could be printed on a single piece of paper yet now it takes a small booklet. The problems are much wordier (requiring greater functional literacy) and require you to do the (for example) differentiation in the context of an actual situation.
2. Scaling was much more common back in the day because you never had to admit to it. (I assume it's the same in the UK as here - in the 1970s a student never saw the exam script after it was marked but today it is returned to them.) Before students got their exam papers back, it was not unusual for a result of 30% to be scaled up to 85%. There's a complicated formula which is used and was, in fact, part of the curriculum for New Zealand students studying scholarship (A level) Maths. Of course, the only number reported to the students and general public was the final, scaled percentage. However, subject teachers got to see markers' reports which included a discussion on the scaling. I remember reading them when I started teaching in the 1990s.
3. Statisticians who track these things do tell us that IQ scores are getting progressively, incrementally better. At least in part this is because the tests are starting to remove cultural biases that count against certain candidates but also because we are, apparently, over the course of decades, getting more intelligent. Hard to believe when you look at our leaders...

Sorry, but the real world disagrees.

biggus mickus 17-08-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 14882733)
Dickheads that start there engines on the car deck of a ferry before it's even touched land.15 minutes next to a coach last night before we got off:jerkit:

People who are so thick they don't note where they have left there car on this ferry thing,or which stairs they should be using:wallbash:

Being back home after a cracking holiday:sob:

I back handed a twat at Bilbao for doing that.

Yoda 17-08-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14882828)
Agreed. Surely you need consistency. How do prospective employers and the like know how evaluate an 'A' grade from one year to the next? Exams may well be a little harder/easier from one year to the next, but that was how the cookie crumbled.

I realise curricula have changed since my day in the dark ages, particularly in the sciences, but surely the fundamental building blocks of mathematics are largely constant? Dumbing-down at its finest. If it is not up to standard,surely it is not worth a pseudo 'A' grade?

Ofcourse it’s possible for the maths content to have become harder and demand more depth.

My son’s taken maths GCSE this year and there was plenty of content that didn’t feature in my equivalent (and we’re both good at maths, so this isn’t just a whinge).

The maths A level has got harder and the Edexel exam board has received lots of criticism this year, especially re maths. It’s their fault if they’ve set an exam paper that is so much harder than other exam boards. Pupils mustn’t be disadvantaged because of this, especially if their university place might require that A grade.

A broader question being discussed is whether it’s wise that we have so many exam boards in this country. In my life no employer has ever asked which exam board my school used, as there’s an assumption they’re the same.

PIE "N" MASH 17-08-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14882773)
People who get there, they’re and their mixed up.....

:p

My spelling is a bit off,so feckin what.Mr feckin perfect:jerkit:

hughff 17-08-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 14882854)
Sorry, but the real world disagrees.

Nope Wedgie, it does not. While there is debate about why, when you compare the mean result of current IQ tests with historical ones, they are better now.

The debates about why center around several factors. First, as I mentioned, earlier, IQ tests were significantly culturally biased. For example, some were specifically used post WW1 to show that Irish were less intelligent than English, largely because they used idioms common in England but rare in Ireland. A second factor that some scientists argue is that we are getting better at taking tests.

However, both these support the idea IQ is static, not improving... and it's not the majority view. AS many researchers believe intelligence is increasing as staying the same. Absolutely no-one suggests that IQ is dropping. Yet, if you were to ask a middle aged person, they would tell you the youngies are the dummies. Why?

It's largely a trick of memory - or. more accurately, memory tricks. The first is that older people were very good at rote learning, which was a far greater emphasis back in the day. (My dad can rattle off the 17 times table like its the names of his grandkids.) Kids don't need instant recall anymore because they've got functional aids to do a lot of that for them. Instead, they are, as I said above, far better at working out how to use it than their forebears were at the same age. Which brings me to the second memory trick - as adults, we can often do what the kids can - apply the knowledge - but we forget that we learnt it later, so we don't recognise that they are ahead of us. The final trick is that if a kid comes home from school knowing something we don't, we pass it off as our failing memory, that it's been ages since we were at school, not their cleverness.

In other words, we forget how damn dumb we were at school.

Little Fozzie 17-08-2019 02:23 PM

Donating money to a charity, and that charity then using that money to send you endless shit in the post asking for more money.

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 14882909)
My spelling is a bit off,so feckin what.Mr feckin perfect:jerkit:

Somebody needs a holiday... :rolleyes:

Maidstoned Eagle 17-08-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 14882909)
My spelling is a bit off,so feckin what.Mr feckin perfect:jerkit:

Its not spelling, its using the correct version. Mr Techypants

Hedgehog 17-08-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14882981)
Donating money to a charity, and that charity then using that money to send you endless shit in the post asking for more money.

Nail on head... one of my pet peeves.

That and credit card companies soliciting to use their cards.

CT_Palace 17-08-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14883132)
Nail on head... one of my pet peeves.
.

It makes you wonder what the Postal Service charges for mass mailing.. obviously it will be at a very much discounted “volume” rate... so in the US, ultimately it’s subsidized by the tax payer...
how to waste money in one easy lesson.

PIE "N" MASH 17-08-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14883130)
Its not spelling, its using the correct version. Mr Techypants

Couldn't care less how you put it,but people being smartarses over spelling,punctuation or "using the correct version" on a forum(or anywhere else come to that) are wankers.Not everyone has the same education and for some one sitting behind a keyboard and typing that bollox earlier is nothing better than a small dicked cunt.


I do hope that last sentence is understood by the educated smartasses on here.

wedgetail 17-08-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 14882915)
Nope Wedgie, it does not. While there is debate about why, when you compare the mean result of current IQ tests with historical ones, they are better now.

The debates about why center around several factors. First, as I mentioned, earlier, IQ tests were significantly culturally biased. For example, some were specifically used post WW1 to show that Irish were less intelligent than English, largely because they used idioms common in England but rare in Ireland. A second factor that some scientists argue is that we are getting better at taking tests.

However, both these support the idea IQ is static, not improving... and it's not the majority view. AS many researchers believe intelligence is increasing as staying the same. Absolutely no-one suggests that IQ is dropping. Yet, if you were to ask a middle aged person, they would tell you the youngies are the dummies. Why?

It's largely a trick of memory - or. more accurately, memory tricks. The first is that older people were very good at rote learning, which was a far greater emphasis back in the day. (My dad can rattle off the 17 times table like its the names of his grandkids.) Kids don't need instant recall anymore because they've got functional aids to do a lot of that for them. Instead, they are, as I said above, far better at working out how to use it than their forebears were at the same age. Which brings me to the second memory trick - as adults, we can often do what the kids can - apply the knowledge - but we forget that we learnt it later, so we don't recognise that they are ahead of us. The final trick is that if a kid comes home from school knowing something we don't, we pass it off as our failing memory, that it's been ages since we were at school, not their cleverness.

In other words, we forget how damn dumb we were at school.

Not convinced in the slightest by any of your points, particularly the bit about kids not needing instant recall, yes they have tech aids unavailable just a few decades ago but without the ability to retain mental images building complex mental structures will be difficult or unachievable.

thefox 17-08-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 14882915)
Nope Wedgie, it does not. While there is debate about why, when you compare the mean result of current IQ tests with historical ones, they are better now.

The debates about why center around several factors. First, as I mentioned, earlier, IQ tests were significantly culturally biased. For example, some were specifically used post WW1 to show that Irish were less intelligent than English, largely because they used idioms common in England but rare in Ireland. A second factor that some scientists argue is that we are getting better at taking tests.

However, both these support the idea IQ is static, not improving... and it's not the majority view. AS many researchers believe intelligence is increasing as staying the same. Absolutely no-one suggests that IQ is dropping. Yet, if you were to ask a middle aged person, they would tell you the youngies are the dummies. Why?

It's largely a trick of memory - or. more accurately, memory tricks. The first is that older people were very good at rote learning, which was a far greater emphasis back in the day. (My dad can rattle off the 17 times table like its the names of his grandkids.) Kids don't need instant recall anymore because they've got functional aids to do a lot of that for them. Instead, they are, as I said above, far better at working out how to use it than their forebears were at the same age. Which brings me to the second memory trick - as adults, we can often do what the kids can - apply the knowledge - but we forget that we learnt it later, so we don't recognise that they are ahead of us. The final trick is that if a kid comes home from school knowing something we don't, we pass it off as our failing memory, that it's been ages since we were at school, not their cleverness.

In other words, we forget how damn dumb we were at school.

Explain Love Island then.

Worksop Palace 17-08-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 14882909)
My spelling is a bit off,so feckin what.Mr feckin perfect:jerkit:

:rolleyes:

Did you not see the :p ?

Just a light hearted jab mate, nowt to get your kammies jammed up about. I actually thought before I posted ‘Pie will get the jab’

No offence meant

Joe85 17-08-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14883310)
:rolleyes:



Did you not see the :p ?



Just a light hearted jab mate, nowt to get your kammies jammed up about. I actually thought before I posted ‘Pie will get the jab’



No offence meant



Their was no need for it.

Son of Ron 17-08-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14882643)
54% getting you an 'A' grade in A-Level Maths.

My sister in law just passed some medical exam with 46% as the pass mark was 40. I said to her hope I never get sick with the 54% of shit you don’t know about!!

CT_Palace 17-08-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 14882719)
and require you to do the (for example) differentiation in the context of an actual situation.

there's an actual situation where you use differentiation?

If I'd known that I might have bothered to try and understand them!

cappuccinoeagle 17-08-2019 09:13 PM

Twats at Lords booing Smith when he went off injured.

Eaglesfan1 17-08-2019 09:25 PM

VAR

Maidstoned Eagle 17-08-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 14883254)
Couldn't care less how you put it,but people being smartarses over spelling,punctuation or "using the correct version" on a forum(or anywhere else come to that) are wankers.Not everyone has the same education and for some one sitting behind a keyboard and typing that bollox earlier is nothing better than a small dicked cunt.


I do hope that last sentence is understood by the educated smartasses on here.

Oooh, someone's tired.

Isle of Wight 18-08-2019 02:11 AM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 14883325)
Their was no need for it.

:D

bubbs11 18-08-2019 08:02 PM

The BBS after a defeat. Some of the nonsense on GPC this afternoon is just so OTT and nasty with it. Yes, we were rubbish but these weird and nasty personal vendettas people have against SP and DF just cross the line.

macstar 18-08-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14885942)
The BBS after a defeat. Some of the nonsense on GPC this afternoon is just so OTT and nasty with it. Yes, we were rubbish but these weird and nasty personal vendettas people have against SP and DF just cross the line.

Expect some anger after a performance like that surely

Slimbloke'H' 18-08-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14885942)
The BBS after a defeat. Some of the nonsense on GPC this afternoon is just so OTT and nasty with it. Yes, we were rubbish but these weird and nasty personal vendettas people have against SP and DF just cross the line.

Indeed. I should know better than to get involved, really, but it can be very difficult not to.

Windsor_Eagle mentioned that he might have reached the point of no return (literally) and I'm beginning to feel a bit like that. We really do have some obnoxious scum on the BBS these days.

Hedgehog 18-08-2019 09:03 PM

Same here.

I love this site and all it encompasses, until it comes to anything to do with Crystal Palace FC!

GorBlimey 18-08-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14886041)
Expect some anger after a performance like that surely


But not the antics of a petulant bunch of five year olds.


That really is annoying.

SA Eagle 18-08-2019 09:32 PM

Misappropriation of the word 'embarassing' as in "this is embarrassing Palace". God knows how these people cope with truly embarrassing situations.

Isle of Wight 18-08-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14885942)
The BBS after a defeat. Some of the nonsense on GPC this afternoon is just so OTT and nasty with it. Yes, we were rubbish but these weird and nasty personal vendettas people have against SP and DF just cross the line.

Trouble is it’s Like Brexit fatigue, we got relegation fatigue. Same every season and we should after this amount of time in the PL got a bit more established. Abuse has no place however but I’m getting just a little bit tired of the same stuff each week. Throw the youth team on. At least it would be entertaining!

danpalace07 18-08-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 14886224)
Misappropriation of the word 'embarassing' as in "this is embarrassing Palace". God knows how these people cope with truly embarrassing situations.

people can care about more than one thing

bubbs11 18-08-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14886293)
Trouble is it’s Like Brexit fatigue, we got relegation fatigue. Same every season and we should after this amount of time in the PL got a bit more established. Abuse has no place however but I’m getting just a little bit tired of the same stuff each week. Throw the youth team on. At least it would be entertaining!

Logical criticism I’m all for even if it differs widely from my point of view. Where we think we’ve gone wrong etc... But when it’s just malicious abuse at people who have really done an incredible job for our club then it grates.

Sure Parish himself welcomes criticism, but how would you feel if you were him, having put in the amount of work he has and achieved beyond expectations, to read the personal attacks and personal abuse and vile accusations on here?

No one’s saying he is beyond criticism, but there are ways to put it across, and some people need to reign it in because it’s just downright rude and so ungrateful.

SA Eagle 18-08-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 14886301)
people can care about more than one thing

Screaming "embarrassing" if something isn't going your way doesn't show you care. HTH

Bintang 19-08-2019 08:12 AM

I never go near GPD for a few days after a defeat.

stamford triumph 19-08-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bintang (Post 14886665)
I never go near GPD for a few days after a defeat.

But it really is only 3 posters - they just seem to have access to a Vitriol Automated Response (VAR} system.

Coastal Palace 19-08-2019 11:48 AM

Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

Isle of Wight 19-08-2019 12:18 PM

Well have some sympathy and some rep to make you feel better

Maidstoned Eagle 19-08-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 14886684)
But it really is only 3 posters - they just seem to have access to a Vitriol Automated Response (VAR} system.

How you can nail that whinge fest down to just three posters is impressive...are they Workshop, Penistone and HRP?

pallet 19-08-2019 01:47 PM

Modern people and their modern self absorbed lives. Took the children to the theatre on Sunday, at the start of the show you are told put your phones away filming not allowed etc etc Woman sitting infront of me started filming nearly straight away, stayed for about 20 minutes and left.
The bloke sitting next to her (not together) sent the whole tome looking at videos he had made of himself on his phone.

pallet 19-08-2019 01:48 PM

Man city who before kick off state they are best team in the world??? Dont think so.

chrisophiex 19-08-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.


Hope you are ok..take it easy :p

davech 19-08-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

Very frightening. Hope it is not too serious and you are recovering well :p

Yoda 19-08-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

Hope you’re better soon.

My mother had a stroke and recovered in a stroke unit. Initially I was a bit frustrated that they didn’t seem to be doing anything for her, but in time I realised they were giving nature the chance to heal itself. Which it mostly did and then she had physio to make further improvements.

So although you’re bored, think about how your body is actually very busy making itself better. You’ve had a stroke for a reason, so agree to the scans (the damage to my mum wasn’t clear for a few days) and try to rest. You want to reduce the probability of more.

wedgetail 19-08-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

At least you can read the matchday thread to cheer you up,

Oh dear sorry.

Stellavista 19-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

Get well soon, Coastal. Staying off here might help? Ceasing to listen to talk radio stations has certainly lowered my stress levels lately ;)

chateauferret 19-08-2019 07:58 PM

By "minor stroke" DYM a "transient ischaemic attack" (TIA)?

I got taken to hospital (well, Monklands) with a suspected one of these and they told me to take x y and z pills, and avoid driving, drinking, excercise and Palace until they had determined what it was. The next day the cardiologist summoned me and did all the tests again then announced that I was merely a fat pig with high blood pressure.

cappuccinoeagle 19-08-2019 08:08 PM

Yes, GPD is depressing, full of threads which are pretty similar.

Worksop Palace 19-08-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14886915)
Hospitals.
I had a minor stroke on Friday (please feel sorry for me, everyone) and I'd forgotten how boring they are.

Also the word 'stroke.'
I've always had to stifle a chuckle when I've been on told so and so's had a stroke. A stroke of what?
Well I ain't f*cking chuckling now.

Sorry to hear that Coastal, get well soon

Top poster

Worksop Palace 19-08-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 14887544)
By "minor stroke" DYM a "transient ischaemic attack" (TIA)?

I got taken to hospital (well, Monklands) with a suspected one of these and they told me to take x y and z pills, and avoid driving, drinking, excercise and Palace until they had determined what it was. The next day the cardiologist summoned me and did all the tests again then announced that I was merely a fat pig with high blood pressure.

But still avoid Palace ...

chateauferret 19-08-2019 09:01 PM

Wan Bissaka in wanker colours.

CK 19-08-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 14881788)
DIY shop in UK, Hardware store in USA.

I'm bilingual in English and American.

So sorry young man. When I grew up they were hardware shops. Although in those days we did it ourselves. That's what it stands for by the way.
:wallbash:

GorBlimey 19-08-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 14887804)
So sorry young man.


How old are you then?

BERT'S HEAD 19-08-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 14887804)
So sorry young man. When I grew up they were hardware shops. Although in those days we did it ourselves. That's what it stands for by the way.
:wallbash:

Ironmongers.

CK 19-08-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 14887808)
How old are you then?

Not quite as old as John Sewell mate:supergrin:

CK 19-08-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 14887811)
Ironmongers.

Me old man called them waremongers so I s'pose it runs.

richdeniro 19-08-2019 11:40 PM

People who wear 'ear pods' whilst walking around the office.

Maidstoned Eagle 20-08-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 14887808)
How old are you then?

Must......resist........must.....resist.....

Prince Phillip 20-08-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richdeniro (Post 14887845)
People who wear 'ear pods' whilst walking around the office.

I like it when people give you grand, magnanimous gesture of taking one out during conversation. "I mean, you're listening to Guetta in mono just to speak to little old me?" Gee what a sacrifice.
There's nothing these Millennials won't do for politeness, is there? :jerkit:

Little Fozzie 20-08-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 14887969)
I like it when people give you grand, magnanimous gesture of taking one out during conversation. "I mean, you're listening to Guetta in mono just to speak to little old me?" Gee what a sacrifice.
There's nothing these Millennials won't do for politeness, is there? :jerkit:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20180725175642

GorBlimey 20-08-2019 05:03 PM

Door-to-door charity chuggers. They've just turned up mob-handed to blitz our street.


F*ck off - if I want to donate I will.

Hedgehog 20-08-2019 05:34 PM

Getting an automated telemarketing call at 6:50am on the landline when still asleep... I needed to get up anyway, so not all bad.

WorthingEagle 20-08-2019 06:03 PM

People who somehow manage to break pub pool cues, whether that be the tip, rubber bumper, or just plain bending/snapping. I've played thousands of frames over 30+ years and never once got close to damaging one. My local now keeps them out the back, so you have to ask for them (and the cue ball, so bringing your own is no better) and pay a £10 deposit. Unless you're in for a best-of-19 who can be bothered?

Isle of Wight 20-08-2019 10:09 PM

Idiotic governments around the world. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49406369
“You are free to use a banned pesticide to improve your crops”
.
.
.
.
“Sh1t the bees are all dead!”
:wallbash::jerkit:

strawberry mivi 21-08-2019 11:55 AM

Reminds me of the circus performer, 'The Human Fly'.
Very sadly found dead last week.
Police confirmed that he had committed insecticide.

Coastal Palace 21-08-2019 05:11 PM

Thank you very much for the best wishes. I got out today. It was a minor stroke but I've got to build the strength back in my arm and leg. That's what smoking can do to you. I do look good with a cane though.
And I watched the game with my boy on hospital tv. It didn't do the blood pressure much cop.
I'm just pleased my face didn't drop on one side as that would've been a crime against nature and it hasn't affected my speech or typing skillughfgfddcvgbnkl'[ojute3

chateauferret 21-08-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14889237)
Thank you very much for the best wishes. I got out today. It was a minor stroke but I've got to build the strength back in my arm and leg. That's what smoking can do to you. I do look good with a cane though.
And I watched the game with my boy on hospital tv. It didn't do the blood pressure much cop.
I'm just pleased my face didn't drop on one side as that would've been a crime against nature and it hasn't affected my speech or typing skillughfgfddcvgbnkl'[ojute3

I'm surprised your face didn't drop at all if you were watching that garbage.

bubbs11 21-08-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14888575)
Idiotic governments around the world. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49406369
“You are free to use a banned pesticide to improve your crops”
.
.
.
.
“Sh1t the bees are all dead!”
:wallbash::jerkit:

Absolute f**k heads. Hope the idiots that sanctioned this get stung by irate insects every day of their pathetic lives.

jjeagle 21-08-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14889237)
Thank you very much for the best wishes. I got out today. It was a minor stroke but I've got to build the strength back in my arm and leg. That's what smoking can do to you. I do look good with a cane though.
And I watched the game with my boy on hospital tv. It didn't do the blood pressure much cop.
I'm just pleased my face didn't drop on one side as that would've been a crime against nature and it hasn't affected my speech or typing skillughfgfddcvgbnkl'[ojute3

I may have had posted a couple of sarky replys to some of your posts in the past mate but, as we all get older, l appreciate all the possible health issues we all face. Supporting who we do wont help but wishing you a speedy recovery. :p

Hedgehog 22-08-2019 05:18 AM

Some guy was found dead in the street in our neighbourhood today, and the local paper report the police are saying underlying medical problems may have been the reason. The deceased could only be described as an elderly man in his 60s.

I guess as I hurtle towards 64 I am now officially an "elderly man"...

Annoys me, but probably not as much as the man found dead near us!

Garfy 22-08-2019 07:39 AM

Fully agree. Do you feel elderly?I sure don’t. 80 is elderly not the 60’s.

Olympian2 23-08-2019 04:26 PM

People who take glasses (I.e. a drinking vessel made of glass) to the pool, despite there being clear signs saying ‘No glasses poolside’ - & then **** off & leave their empties behind.

Ignorant *****, twice.

SA Eagle 23-08-2019 06:45 PM

Australian pronunciation of Labuschagne

AddoWolz 23-08-2019 08:50 PM

The kids stealing the phone charger

bubbs11 23-08-2019 09:45 PM

Cricket...again. Apparently yesterday’s Ashes test was suspended because the weather was ‘gloomy’. GLOOMY! How can the pretence that this is a sport continue?! I then heard the guy on the radio declare that the match was to be delayed further for tea. Why the paying spectators didn’t do the decent thing and rip the stadium apart lord only knows.

I’ve always felt work shy working class folk go on the dole; idle middle class bods become cricketers.

Coastal Palace 23-08-2019 10:02 PM

The latest batch of the Nationwide ads with the so-called stand up comedians.
Is their ad firm purposely trying to make us hate them ?

CT_Palace 23-08-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 14891593)
Australian pronunciation of Labuschagne

My favorite was guarana. Properly pronounced gwa-ra-na with the a's as in bag. Aussie advert for some health drink stating "with goo-ah-rah-nah"

Bipe 23-08-2019 11:35 PM

People using the phrases 'absolute scenes' or 'absolute state' for anything which is in some way uplifting for the former or in some way unappetising for the latter.

Please don't respond 'absolute state of that post'

KentExpress 23-08-2019 11:42 PM

People using the terms 'red ball cricket' & 'white ball cricket'. It's either:
First class, test cricket, limited overs/one day cricket or that dross 20/20 which isn't cricket and even worse the new 100.

GorBlimey 23-08-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentExpress (Post 14891941)
People using the terms 'red ball cricket' & 'white ball cricket'. It's either:
First class, test cricket, limited overs/one day cricket or that dross 20/20 which isn't cricket and even worse the new 100.


Cricket.

Yoda 23-08-2019 11:59 PM

To continue the cricket theme, I heard a lady commentator (sorry, don’t know her name) say that someone’s balling was ‘on point’.

I flipping hate that phrase, which tends to be used by the judges on shows such as Britain’s Got Talent or X Factor. Bad enough in that context, but at least they’re referring to someone’s performance in the arts.

Please don’t bring this cringy phrase into sports as well, especially not good ol’ cricket.

Yoda 24-08-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14889676)
Some guy was found dead in the street in our neighbourhood today, and the local paper report the police are saying underlying medical problems may have been the reason. The deceased could only be described as an elderly man in his 60s.

I guess as I hurtle towards 64 I am now officially an "elderly man"...

Annoys me, but probably not as much as the man found dead near us!

Maybe that’s old by Californian standards, because they’re used to people retiring to Florida or Palm Springs! :cool:

Chris K 24-08-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14889676)

Annoys me, but probably not as much as the man found dead near us!

How come? Was he a bit of a knob?

Jonboy 24-08-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14889676)
...
I guess as I hurtle towards 64 I am now officially an "elderly man"...
...

On the plus side, senior's discounts.

Hedgehog 24-08-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 14892001)
On the plus side, senior's discounts.

Yes and no.

I don't know about in Canada, but they mainly kick in at 55 here, so well use to using that card.

Also I've noticed when booking hotels or flights etc. being a senior gets you no better a deal than belonging to the Automobile Club!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.