CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

saxoneagle 30-12-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
I guess this is known as the silly season ... I see Jason Garrett is lined up for an interview with the Lions. Note that he had interviews last season but Jones made him highest earning offensive coodinator. Shame we weren't the top offense this season :rolleyes:

Well Jones said you have the coaches in place last week. Not sure what you had them in place for :moo::clown:

jazman 30-12-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Well Jones said you have the coaches in place last week. Not sure what you had them in place for :moo::clown:

Yes, I do wonder ...

Read a lot on the Cowboys forum today. The general consensus is that Romo is distracted and cannot cope under pressure which I can agree with.

But one comment was that he was the only one showing any passion on Sunday ... I beg to differ on that one .... :moo:

Strathclyde Eagle 30-12-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
I believe I tipped the Falcons to get the first draft pick (and go 1-15).

If Millen was still there they could offer a WR and their number one and they'd have the pick. ;)

Incidentally it is worth thinking what the Chargers got out of trading out of the number one position on two occasions: Tomlinson, Merriman, Rivers, etc. They made it work for them, that's for sure.
Quote:

Not sure what you expected then!

Bush did well this season before his injury - he was making good yardage as an every-down back with Deuce out and was picking up good yards on receptions too. He's a great open field runner so as a #2 RB who can join 4/5 receiver sets he's ideal in NO, IMO.

Yeah, but he's not been as spectacular as he was at USC. See if you can find highlights of the USC-Fresno State game where he went mental. Unbelievable in the open field.

Strathclyde Eagle 30-12-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Read a lot on the Cowboys forum today. The general consensus is that Romo is distracted and cannot cope under pressure which I can agree with.

I wonder how much of that is down to experience. Of the top QBs I'd say only Brady has excelled in his first big-pressure/play-off experiences, and even that is debatable on a stats front (and that's without even mentioning the tuck game).

Both Mannings and McNabb have had been questioned about performances under pressure in the past. I think getting past that is partly down to experience, and partly through succeeding in that situation for the first time.

saxoneagle 30-12-2008 07:43 PM

I'm probably going to miss all four matches this weekend :sob:

AddiscombeEagle 30-12-2008 07:48 PM

Ravens on at the worst possible time for me. Wife will never let me watch whilst our daughter is having her dinner and going to bed. Will Sky+ it, but for some reason I never find it the same when it has been recorded.

Going to be a good weekend though, reckon the Colts Chargers game could be a cracker personally.

saxoneagle 30-12-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle
Ravens on at the worst possible time for me. Wife will never let me watch whilst our daughter is having her dinner and going to bed. Will Sky+ it, but for some reason I never find it the same when it has been recorded.

Going to be a good weekend though, reckon the Colts Chargers game could be a cracker personally.

Just watch it on an hour or so delay and fast forward the commercials. You'll be watching live by the end... unless it takes you 3 hours to feed your daughter ;)

AddiscombeEagle 30-12-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Just watch it on an hour or so delay and fast forward the commercials. You'll be watching live by the end... unless it takes you 3 hours to feed your daughter ;)

I reckon it would take that long if she had her way.:D

Yeah, that's the plan, then I can watch the second game live.

jlmatthews 31-12-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Cowher is going to Cleveland

Not in a million years.

Mangini or however the hell it's spelled in meeting with the Cleveland folks tomorrow.

saxoneagle 31-12-2008 02:04 AM

Cowher started his career in Cleveland, I think, played and coached there for about 8 years in total.

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 02:16 AM

Random news and other things etc.

Both McDaniels and Pioli have had interviews today with teams.

Pioli with Cleveland.

McDaniels with ?. The name hasn't been released.

Shanahan has gone as well.

NFL.com are also predicting that Stafford is picked by the Lions with Number 1, and Bradford goes at Number 10 (I can't remember who to:D)

elliott 31-12-2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Cowher started his career in Cleveland, I think, played and coached there for about 8 years in total.

Indeed.

2 years (?) as an average special teams LB, and a few as a very young special teams coach.

Back in the days of the horrible tan coloured Browns raincoats with the stupid square logo on the arms. Schottenheimer era!

jlmatthews 31-12-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

I would be beyond shocked if he ended up there to say the least.

Del Martian 31-12-2008 07:04 AM

Quite shocked at Shanahan's firing. One always had the feeling he had that job as long as he wanted it. I think it will take Denver a year or two to recover as offensively Cutler and Ratface had it clicking pretty good. Defensively, the cupboard is pretty bare.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Shanahan surface in Dallas!

Strathclyde Eagle 31-12-2008 10:30 AM

I'm shocked by Shanahan's firing too. Denver's stability seemed to be a strong point for them. I guess now Shanahan's legacy is that he never won without Elway.

For a guy who was an offensive genius and has done pretty well with the third best QB in the 2006 draft (how are Young and Leinart doing again?), and has had the defence let him down, well, I'm not sure this is the right time for this course of action.

Strathclyde Eagle 31-12-2008 10:38 AM

Just found out two interesting things about Jay Cutler.

1) He was born in Santa Claus, Indiana.
2) He has a degree in human and organizational development. Does that mean he spent four years at Vanderbilt pointing people about?

davematt 31-12-2008 11:04 AM

It has just occured to me; I am going to be in the States for the Superbowl!!!

pauldrulez 31-12-2008 12:04 PM

Without offending Favre fans,

Is it not a coincidence that the last few years, whenever he has sucked after a game after throwing the ball a lot, its like "My arm hurts". Its worse than the Retirement talk. At least this year he can ruin the Jets.

Talking of the Jets, the anonymous quotes coming out aren't good. Basically saying that why are we passing when Jones and Washington has run so well for the first 11/12 weeks of the season. They resort to throwing and lose 4 out of 5 to end the season (or something like that).

jazman 31-12-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I wonder how much of that is down to experience. Of the top QBs I'd say only Brady has excelled in his first big-pressure/play-off experiences, and even that is debatable on a stats front (and that's without even mentioning the tuck game).

Both Mannings and McNabb have had been questioned about performances under pressure in the past. I think getting past that is partly down to experience, and partly through succeeding in that situation for the first time.

Yes, I think you're right. Not sure of Romo's age without looking but hopefully this season will stand him in good stead assuming he remains in Dallas which I don't think is questionable at the moment. HE can be a good QB when he's in form like any other but when he's out of form he really is out of form ...

So annoyed last night. Sat down to watch NFL Gameday and for some reason it was not on my Sky planner .. :veryangry Started an inquest in my household but no one has owned up as yet ... That is my weekly ritual .. and no matter how much on teh Sunday action you watch you can never take in everything which is where NFL Gameday comes in for me ... :sob:

And it's not on next week either ... as far as I can see ... :rolleyes:

jazman 31-12-2008 01:43 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/dallas-cowboys/salary

Don't know what you guys now about salaries in the NFL but found this link very interesting indeed. Highest earner I could find is Big Ben who is on $27 million I think I recall correctly ...

Amazed that the Pats are 30th in the list of salary payers!!

Have no idea how true this is though ....