CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Pidster 17-08-2021 09:03 AM

People who misuse the word “slightly”.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 17-08-2021 03:19 PM

Female levels of toilet roll consumption.

*looks around the room from toilet seat for toilet roll* "there was a full roll right here yesterday"

Maidstoned Eagle 17-08-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15949678)
Being both lissom and hirsute, I’m worried people will identify me as an England hating woke lefty metrosexual.

Instead of a Croatian drug lord?

Hedgehog 17-08-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15950421)
Female levels of toilet roll consumption.

*looks around the room from toilet seat for toilet roll* "there was a full roll right here yesterday"

Been there done that.

Thank God for Costco!

Fen Eagle 17-08-2021 04:23 PM

That’s cause fat birds use em as tampons, I’ve got my misogynistic head on today.

big bad John 17-08-2021 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=Sharkba1t;15949683]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 15948261)
6 hour meetings.[/QUOTE



A dislike of mine is getting meeting requests at the busiest time of our monthly cycle.

Imagine how the ladies feel.

PeterH 17-08-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15950421)
Female levels of toilet roll consumption.

*looks around the room from toilet seat for toilet roll* "there was a full roll right here yesterday"

Probably pisspoor for the environment. But I am enjoying the quicker clean combo of using wetwipes in my morning routine.

Maz 17-08-2021 04:40 PM

Ew.


Any detail is too much detail.

Isle of Wight 17-08-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15950421)
Female levels of toilet roll consumption.

*looks around the room from toilet seat for toilet roll* "there was a full roll right here yesterday"

Mother in law came to stay this weekend. Spare room loo roll checked and full, new sheets etc ready for the arrival on Fri night. Sunday morning “your out of loo roll and I used the tissues” wtf ?? They must eat it, no wonder the Covid crisis led to all the loo rolls going 1st.

Hedgehog 17-08-2021 05:27 PM

Got up this morning to find this:

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/owlmarcu...1613076432.png

(Photo is not mine... stolen off the Internet, but basically the same thing)

Don't have a clue what to do about it... Google is my friend.

Isle of Wight 17-08-2021 05:55 PM

Invite him in for tea

Hedgehog 17-08-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15950624)
Invite him in for tea

It's dropped enough shit in there already... maybe it could use some of that toilet paper that is in high demand!

Seems to have disappeared again. I assume it has found a spot up the chimney to rest during the day.

Maidstoned Eagle 17-08-2021 06:01 PM

See if he's got a letter from Hogwarts for you.

CT_Palace 17-08-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950628)
It's dropped enough shit in there already... maybe it could use some of that toilet paper that is in high demand!

Seems to have disappeared again. I assume it has found a spot up the chimney to rest during the day.

Quick! Get a fire going.

Stellavista 17-08-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15950509)
Probably pisspoor for the environment. But I am enjoying the quicker clean combo of using wetwipes in my morning routine.

And will play havoc with your waste pipes. Good luck.

Hedgehog 17-08-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15950706)
Quick! Get a fire going.

Ummm. Barbecue owl!

As an aside, why do more than a few companies use an owl as its spokesperson? And always wearing glasses and talks with a British accent.

I can think of 3 at least.

CT_Palace 17-08-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950717)
Ummm. Barbecue owl!

As an aside, white do more than a few companies use an owl as its spokesperson? And always wearing glasses and talks with a British accent.

I can think of 3 at least.

Owls are wise right? Or sage.

https://wordsandherbs.files.wordpres...12/08/sage.jpg

El Aguila 17-08-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15950440)
Instead of a Croatian drug lord?

i), I thought it was Serbian, and ii), presumably you can be a Serbian woke England-hating drug lord metrosexual?

I certainly hope so.

RazorsEdge 17-08-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950590)
Got up this morning to find this:

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/owlmarcu...1613076432.png

(Photo is not mine... stolen off the Internet, but basically the same thing)

Don't have a clue what to do about it... Google is my friend.

RSPCA or equivalent over there should help you to get rid of Hedwig

RazorsEdge 17-08-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15950631)
See if he's got a letter from Hogwarts for you.

Hedgy is a wizard :)

art malice 17-08-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15950631)
See if he's got a letter from Hogwarts for you.

Could start a Hedgehogwarts

Hedgehog 17-08-2021 09:39 PM

He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

I can't believe I can't find any animal services/fish and wildlife who are interesting in helping. Best I've got is a place that said I should catch it, put it in a shoe box and they will take it off my hands (40 miles away).

God forbid it was a rattle snake!

Little Matt 17-08-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950902)
He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

I can't believe I can't find any animal services/fish and wildlife who are interesting in helping. Best I've got is a place that said I should catch it, put it in a shoe box and they will take it off my hands (40 miles away).

God forbid it was a rattle snake!

Having watched Twin Peaks, it's obvious that Hooty here is a portent of a nearby gateway to the Black Lodge, into which you will soon be sucked. You'll be trapped there for all eternity, talking backwards and hanging out with Laura Palmer, Evil Bob and all that gang in the Red Room

CT_Palace 17-08-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950902)
He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

I can't believe I can't find any animal services/fish and wildlife who are interesting in helping. Best I've got is a place that said I should catch it, put it in a shoe box and they will take it off my hands (40 miles away).

God forbid it was a rattle snake!

The fire sounding a better idea by the minute ;)

GorBlimey 17-08-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950902)
He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

I can't believe I can't find any animal services/fish and wildlife who are interesting in helping. Best I've got is a place that said I should catch it, put it in a shoe box and they will take it off my hands (40 miles away).

God forbid it was a rattle snake!


Don't worry about it; it'll make sure you don't have any rodent issues.


In Florida, you can get a massive fine if you mess about with Burrowing Owls and their habitat.

Hedgehog 18-08-2021 06:00 AM

I'm sure none of you can sleep worrying about the owl... :rolleyes:

Update: All's well that ends well... About 8:30 my wife lets out a cry, and there is the owl sitting on top of a photo on a shelf above the TV. My wife had headphones on and I was in the other room so neither of us saw or heard the owl come out the fireplace. We had the patio door wide open and the patio light on and turned out all the lights in the house and within a minute the owl took off straight out the patio door.

Now I guess I need to get a chimney cap installed to prevent this happening again. :)

west country boy 18-08-2021 07:38 AM

Good news, Hedgers. If it was a burrowing owl as suggested then it is a “California species of special concern” so I’m surprised your local animal rescue chaps weren’t bothered.

RazorsEdge 18-08-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15951518)
I'm sure none of you can sleep worrying about the owl... :rolleyes:

Update: All's well that ends well... About 8:30 my wife lets out a cry, and there is the owl sitting on top of a photo on a shelf above the TV. My wife had headphones on and I was in the other room so neither of us saw or heard the owl come out the fireplace. We had the patio door wide open and the patio light on and turned out all the lights in the house and within a minute the owl took off straight out the patio door.

Now I guess I need to get a chimney cap installed to prevent this happening again. :)

Good news it escaped. A chimney cap sounds like a good idea.

Sharkba1t 18-08-2021 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=big bad John;15950497]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15949683)

Imagine how the ladies feel.

:lux:

Sharkba1t 18-08-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15950509)
Probably pisspoor for the environment. But I am enjoying the quicker clean combo of using wetwipes in my morning routine.

But you can’t flush wet wipes, especially in 3rd world dumps like Santiago. So I suppose you have a filthy bin next to the toilet ?

Isle of Wight 18-08-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950902)
He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

I can't believe I can't find any animal services/fish and wildlife who are interesting in helping. Best I've got is a place that said I should catch it, put it in a shoe box and they will take it off my hands (40 miles away).

God forbid it was a rattle snake!

He was complaining about the state of your chimney I would guess.

Isle of Wight 18-08-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15951518)
I'm sure none of you can sleep worrying about the owl... :rolleyes:

Update: All's well that ends well... About 8:30 my wife lets out a cry, and there is the owl sitting on top of a photo on a shelf above the TV. My wife had headphones on and I was in the other room so neither of us saw or heard the owl come out the fireplace. We had the patio door wide open and the patio light on and turned out all the lights in the house and within a minute the owl took off straight out the patio door.

Now I guess I need to get a chimney cap installed to prevent this happening again. :)

Great news off to find a pussy cat and a boat I imagine

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-08-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15940498)
People leaving 28 seconds left on the microwave instead of letting the timer run out or cancelling it out after they're done.

Had to cancel out one second just now. One second.

big bad John 18-08-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15950902)
He seems to be giving me the evil eye...

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/IMG_1145.jpg

!

Well it is Wednesday

Hedgehog 18-08-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15951529)
Good news it escaped. A chimney cap sounds like a good idea.

Guy coming Friday to install one... shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted so to speak... not that I think a horse would fit down the chimney. :rolleyes:

Jim Cannon 18-08-2021 09:31 PM

It's not the ball anymore, it's the football
It's not the club anymore, it's the football club

RazorsEdge 18-08-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15952658)
Guy coming Friday to install one... shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted so to speak... not that I think a horse would fit down the chimney. :rolleyes:

:)


We can only learn from our mistakes and this is a fluke I would imagine.

big bad John 19-08-2021 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 15952729)
It's not the ball anymore, it's the football
It's not the club anymore, it's the football club

Okay, Tony Pulis

the digger 19-08-2021 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15952778)
:)


We can only learn from our mistakes and this is a fluke I would imagine.

It's spelled "flue"

RazorsEdge 19-08-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the digger (Post 15952961)
It's spelled "flue"

Very good :)

bourne man 19-08-2021 09:13 PM

Wallowing self pity

WLYWLYAWYPWF 19-08-2021 09:26 PM

"If that makes sense?" Invariably uttered after a self indulgent splatter of bullshit.

GorBlimey 19-08-2021 09:31 PM

C*nts who don't indicate at roundabouts.


I'm not a f*cking mind reader so indicate your direction.

Paulinmorden 19-08-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 15954754)
C*nts who don't indicate at roundabouts.


I'm not a f*cking mind reader so indicate your direction.

C*nts who don't indicate at...any place where they should.

C*nts that do indicate....but only after the lights have changed and they're in the right hand lane at traffic lights waiting to turn right when you chose to go behind them because you can use that lane to go straight ahead. :veryangry

Riley 19-08-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 15954746)
"If that makes sense?" Invariably uttered after a self indulgent splatter of bullshit.

And have you noticed that when people say they're 'not being funny...' they never, ever are?

PeterH 20-08-2021 05:02 AM

Not being funny ....... but wallowing self pity....... if that makes sense.

Wayne Andrews is God 20-08-2021 08:57 AM

‘Great for snacking’ written on bags of nuts bought from Asda. The term ‘snacking’ makes me want to poke my eyes out. Is anyone more likely to snack on nuts if there is a cringeworthy phrase on a piece of packaging.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 20-08-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 15954754)
C*nts who don't indicate at roundabouts.


I'm not a f*cking mind reader so indicate your direction.

I'd like to add another annoyance similar to this - when you're behind someone who's approaching a junction or roundabout (or to put it correctly, intersection or traffic circle) and even though you're behind them, you can see that the way is clear, but despite their superior view of the road, they inexplicably cannot, and stop there for ******* ages, looking at god knows what before finally moving on.

What the **** are they looking for?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 20-08-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 15955152)
‘Great for snacking’ written on bags of nuts bought from Asda. The term ‘snacking’ makes me want to poke my eyes out. Is anyone more likely to snack on nuts if there is a cringeworthy phrase on a piece of packaging.

Serving suggestion. (It's on a plate)

Adlerhorst 20-08-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15955163)
I'd like to add another annoyance similar to this - when you're behind someone who's approaching a junction or roundabout (or to put it correctly, intersection or traffic circle) and even though you're behind them, you can see that the way is clear, but despite their superior view of the road, they inexplicably cannot, and stop there for ******* ages, looking at god knows what before finally moving on.

What the **** are they looking for?

Middle lane drivers on motorways. I once started a thread about it.

Wayne Andrews is God 20-08-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15955170)
Middle lane drivers on motorways. I once started a thread about it.

They are oblivious to the trouble they create behind them. All because they pulled out once and stay put.

Joe85 20-08-2021 10:35 AM

People that put a meeting in your diary for 5:30, and then cancel it at 5:25.

stevek 20-08-2021 10:43 AM

People who don't know the meaning of 'unanimous'.

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 15954784)
C*nts who don't indicate at...any place where they should.

C*nts that do indicate....but only after the lights have changed and they're in the right hand lane at traffic lights waiting to turn right when you chose to go behind them because you can use that lane to go straight ahead. :veryangry

You have truly nailed it :p

They're all c*nts - no question

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 10:45 AM

People who say 'generally' instead of 'genuinely'

"I was generally generally ill" etc

ceeby 20-08-2021 10:46 AM

People at the recycling tip that have to stare at everything they have dumped sitting at the bottom of the hopper for 5 seconds after they've chucked in in. Get out of my way you helmets!

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley (Post 15954809)
And have you noticed that when people say they're 'not being funny...' they never, ever are?

Correct...but as a teenager it was a good way of getting an awkward point raised in class without copping a bollocking off teachers. ;)

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceeby (Post 15955247)
People at the recycling tip that have to stare at everything they have dumped sitting at the bottom of the hopper for 5 seconds after they've chucked in in. Get out of my way you helmets!

Exactly - unless you're throwing stuff in the skips from 5 yards away like Hulk Hogan throwing someone out of the ring in a Wrestlemania Battle Royal, you have no business being at the tip! :p

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 10:50 AM

The temporary traffic lights specifically at the end of my street that sprung up on Monday.

Went out of my way yesterday to avoid them and copped a load of rush hour traffic and a level crossing I forgot was there, which added 15 minutes to my journey just to avoid the 3 minutes stuck at the traffic lights!!

FFS

Maidstoned Eagle 20-08-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15955252)
The temporary traffic lights specifically at the end of my street that sprung up on Monday.

Went out of my way yesterday to avoid them and copped a load of rush hour traffic and a level crossing I forgot was there, which added 15 minutes to my journey just to avoid the 3 minutes stuck at the traffic lights!!

FFS

Are they the ones at the bottom of Kings Road, just past the brewery?

KYLIE MINEAGLE 20-08-2021 11:08 AM

Scott Morrison .

mushroom 20-08-2021 12:13 PM

Lady walked in to Pret this morning… and just said “latte….now”.

ozzieEagle 20-08-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15955352)
Lady walked in to Pret this morning… and just said “latte….now”.

Could she have been joking with a cashier she knows well? If not, she deserves a 'Get phucked'

Fen Eagle 20-08-2021 12:26 PM

Ugly cant **** off

davech 20-08-2021 12:27 PM

Hospitals that take 4 attempts to insert a cannula (tbf, my veins ARE crap :D)

Alfies army 20-08-2021 12:31 PM

Having to not spell swear words correctly on sites like these.

mushroom 20-08-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15955356)
Could she have been joking with a cashier she knows well? If not, she deserves a 'Get phucked'


They were the only words spoken by her… she got her drink paid with card and left. Could have been bantz with cashier she knows… but… it just looked like a rude stuck up squeeze with a attitude problem?

Le Trapper 20-08-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfies army (Post 15955376)
Having to not spell swear words correctly on sites like these.

Don't use swear words and you won't be annoyed

Vince Hilaire's Afro 20-08-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15955422)
They were the only words spoken by her… she got her drink paid with card and left. Could have been bantz with cashier she knows… but… it just looked like a rude stuck up squeeze with a attitude problem?

Surely it's important to remember when being shocked by this behaviour that you were not only in a place called 'Pret a Manger', but one that is also sometimes abbreviated to 'Pret'.

(Funny accents and hat things deliberately left off some of the letters so someone can correct me pedantically)

west country boy 20-08-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15955432)
(Funny accents and hat things deliberately left off some of the letters so someone can correct me pedantically)

There should of bin a full stop (or "period" lol) before the close bracket/parenthesis, unless you're M*z.

Alfies army 20-08-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Trapper (Post 15955429)
Don't use swear words and you won't be annoyed

Then I’d have to find something else that annoys me :supergrin:

Grim Reaper 20-08-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15955269)
Are they the ones at the bottom of Kings Road, just past the brewery?

No - where I live near Hull. And they've expanded as the week's gone on :eek::veryangry

Blind_Eagle 20-08-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfies army (Post 15955376)
Having to not spell swear words correctly on sites like these.

Yeah, it’s bollocks, I agree. It really fuck’s me off as well. :)

west country boy 20-08-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15955465)
Yeah, it’s bollocks, I agree. It really fuck’s me off as well. :)

This is outrageous behaviour from a former swot. There is no apostrophe in "fucks".

LN1 20-08-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15955352)
Lady walked in to Pret this morning… and just said “latte….now”.

Surely the barista would have have got their own back by asking the 100 mandatory questions that come with ordering any such drink?

'Would you like it stirring clockwise or anti-clockwise madam'?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 20-08-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15955445)
There should of bin a full stop (or "period" lol) before the close bracket/parenthesis, unless you're M*z.

I prefer them after the bracket, I just think they look better their

stevek 20-08-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15955445)
There should of bin a full stop (or "period" lol) before the close bracket/parenthesis, unless you're M*z.

M*z puts a full stop outside the brackets when the full sentence is contained within them. That's worse.

Maz 20-08-2021 03:12 PM

A sentence needs to be finished with a full stop. (And not with a bracket).

Maidstoned Eagle 20-08-2021 03:15 PM

Rats eating the wiring in my engine bay. *****.

stevek 20-08-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15955549)
A sentence needs to be finished with a full stop. (And not with a bracket).

A sentence needs to start with a capital letter - do you put that outside the bracket, too?

Here's one source showing you are wrong on this https://proofreadmyessay.co.uk/writi...f%20a%20clause.

Could you please provide one supporting your argument?

Maz 20-08-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 15955556)
A sentence needs to start with a capital letter - do you put that outside the bracket, too?

Here's one source showing you are wrong on this https://proofreadmyessay.co.uk/writi...f%20a%20clause.

Could you please provide one supporting your argument?

It’s not an argument I have any interest in winning! A(lthough I like the point you made).

stevek 20-08-2021 03:29 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9FrWy7W...jpg&name=small

Maz 20-08-2021 03:42 PM

Appropriate that you should quote an erroneous Latin bastardisation.

stevek 20-08-2021 03:44 PM

Susie Dent is an erroneous Latin bastardisation?

To be honest, I just happened to see that just now on twitter (on a completely different debate) and couldn't resist.

west country boy 20-08-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 15955532)
M*z puts a full stop outside the brackets when the full sentence is contained within them. That's worse.

Yep, that's what I was trying and obviously failing to imply.

VHA - Americans do all sorts of weird shit with punctuation; even weirder than British SPaG pedants. Also, apostrophe's' should be banned in my o.

west country boy 20-08-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15955552)
Rats eating the wiring in my engine bay. *****.

Have they been filled with water?

Wolfnipplechips 20-08-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Trapper (Post 15955429)
Don't use swear words and you won't be annoyed

Bollocks.

Beaten by about a week. For shame.

West Kent Eagle 20-08-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15955531)
I prefer them after the bracket, I just think they look better their

I’m sure it was an intended joke, but your use of the word ‘their’ hurts me. Please edit your post immediately ;)

Sharkba1t 20-08-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 15955244)
People who don't know the meaning of 'unanimous'.


We can all agree with that.

Hedgehog 20-08-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15955552)
Rats eating the wiring in my engine bay. *****.

That sounds like a euphemism to me. :eek:

BTW, putting "an" in from of "euphemism" as one should before a word beginning with a vowel just sounds all wrong. Is it an exception or you just go with the sounding wrong?

Maz 20-08-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15955716)
That sounds like a euphemism to me. :eek:

BTW, putting "an" in from of "euphemism" as one should before a word beginning with a vowel just sounds all wrong. Is it an exception or you just go with the sounding wrong?

But the spoken word begins with a virtual consonant ('Y').

Riley 20-08-2021 06:00 PM

Pavement cyclists. Naff off, the lot of you.

west country boy 20-08-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15955716)
That sounds like a euphemism to me. :eek:

BTW, putting "an" in from of "euphemism" as one should before a word beginning with a vowel just sounds all wrong. Is it an exception or you just go with the sounding wrong?

Do you write “an herb”? (My dad says “an (h)otel” but he’s from Yorkshire and therefore an c~nt.)

big bad John 20-08-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15955593)
. Also, apostrophe's' should be banned in my o.

I agree, I've had to come to terms with writing my surname without the apostrophe. Ever since the teacher beat the bejesus out of me when I was five for being unable to spell my name I sort of mastered the art. That was until the computer age arrived and all of a sudden when I write my name I'm being told by some smug gadget that I've made an error in spelling my name.
Computers don't always recognize the apostrophe. Sometimes though they do, so it's really a game of chance. Booking a flight can be a nightmare. Then when you go into, for instance, a bank and they ask you to spell your surname. When you say 'apostrophe' they ( epecially if they're under 40) look at you with that blank look that can only be acquired by bad recreational drugs or staring into your phone for too long.
So it looks like I can finally say I'm a victim. I can now join other Apostrophites and march together in solidarity; smash up a few shops and scrawl "full stops suck" over the library wall.

Maidstoned Eagle 20-08-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15955716)
That sounds like a euphemism to me. :eek:

A 400 euro euphemism.

Maz 20-08-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15955819)
I agree, I've had to come to terms with writing my surname without the apostrophe. Ever since the teacher beat the bejesus out of me when I was five for being unable to spell my name I sort of mastered the art. That was until the computer age arrived and all of a sudden when I write my name I'm being told by some smug gadget that I've made an error in spelling my name.
Computers don't always recognize the apostrophe. Sometimes though they do, so it's really a game of chance. Booking a flight can be a nightmare. Then when you go into, for instance, a bank and they ask you to spell your surname. When you say 'apostrophe' they ( epecially if they're under 40) look at you with that blank look that can only be acquired by bad recreational drugs or staring into your phone for too long.
So it looks like I can finally say I'm a victim. I can now join other Apostrophites and march together in solidarity; smash up a few shops and scrawl "full stops suck" over the library wall.

None of this had occurred to me as problematic until now !

big bad John 20-08-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15955849)
None of this had occurred to me as problematic until now !

I remember reading an article, probably ten years ago, which highlighted the problem. It was called something like, "An apostrophe in your name can cause a world O'Trouble."

Hedgehog 20-08-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15955803)
Do you write “an herb”? (My dad says “an (h)otel” but he’s from Yorkshire and therefore an c~nt.)


No, but I do say “an hour”.

As Americans pronounce herb as “erb” I might say “an erb”.

Hedgehog 20-08-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15955758)
But the spoken word begins with a virtual consonant ('Y').


What about the written word? Is it “a” or “an”?

Maz 20-08-2021 09:03 PM

For me it's "a".


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.