CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Reps AJ 11-11-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle (Post 15498900)
Sports people actively thinking I give a monkeys what they think about 'life'...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54813575

That's not to say I don't care per-se, I wish them happiness and no harm, I just care no more or no less about their lives and opinions than I do anyone else I may pass on the street. As long as the CPFC first team all wake up feeling fit, energetic and positive on a Saturday morning, that's all I need from my favourite sportspeople, thanks very much. What Luka thinks about the environment or Wilf thinks about Joe Biden, I care very little.

I care a lot about what Rashford has to say on child hunger

Stockport_Eagle 11-11-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15498906)
I care a lot about what Rashford has to say on child hunger

What's annoying is there's so much virtue signalling it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Maidstoned Eagle 11-11-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle (Post 15498927)
What's annoying is there's so much virtue signalling it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Rashford sorting out free meals for starving kids - Not virtue signalling.

PeterH 11-11-2020 07:01 PM

TBF of his profile is high enough to get councils and even the govt taking action, then it is a great thing.

Let's get Van Djyk on Food Bank duty. They shouldnt need to exist in the UK. Their existence is a shame to governments.

sirdougie 11-11-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15499231)
TBF of his profile is high enough to get councils and even the govt taking action, then it is a great thing.

Let's get Van Djyk on Food Bank duty. They shouldnt need to exist in the UK. Their existence is a shame to governments.


Jamal Lascelles spends a lot of time and money helping out one of the food banks in Newcastle. Often goes down to lend a hand stocking shelves, building parcels etc.

Stellavista 11-11-2020 08:00 PM

Dog shit, camouflaged by fallen leaves. Can't we just ban domestic pets?

Slimbloke'H' 11-11-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15498948)
Rashford sorting out free meals for starving kids - Not virtue signalling.

Absolutely.

Slimbloke'H' 11-11-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15499284)
Dog shit, camouflaged by fallen leaves. Can't we just ban domestic pets?

:veryangry

Sharkba1t 12-11-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15499284)
Dog shit, camouflaged by fallen leaves. Can't we just ban domestic pets?

It’s very annoying for sure, but totally the owners fault for not clearing up.

Maidstoned Eagle 12-11-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15499535)
It’s very annoying for sure, but totally the owners fault for not clearing up.

The leaves?

Terrace Bickle 12-11-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15498948)
Rashford sorting out free meals for starving kids - Not virtue signalling.

It's very generous that he's funding it from his wages.

Heard my first Christmas radio ad yesterday and noticed Christmas films have started on CH5 FFS. Thankfully I've not seen any decorations up locally.

Wolfnipplechips 12-11-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 15499860)
It's very generous that he's funding it from his wages.

Heard my first Christmas radio ad yesterday and noticed Christmas films have started on CH5 FFS. Thankfully I've not seen any decorations up locally.

People making needless snide comments.

Robin 12-11-2020 03:07 PM

Conveyancing lawyers. Almost all are ignorant and useless.

Wolfnipplechips 12-11-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin (Post 15499868)
Conveyancing lawyers. Almost all are ignorant and useless.

I know a brilliant one... Palace fan as well. Local Croydon firm.

If you want his details PM me.

Robin 12-11-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15499873)
I know a brilliant one... Palace fan as well. Local Croydon firm.

If you want his details PM me.

Thanks. I do know a couple of decent firms myself but it’s the people on the other side of the deal who are p***ing me off.

Stavros 69 12-11-2020 04:17 PM

Why can’t people stick to the left when walking on a pavement.

Robin 12-11-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15499904)
Why can’t people stick to the left when walking on a pavement.

When did that become law? I must have missed that one. We obviously need Council paid marshals to enforce it.

swissroll 12-11-2020 04:28 PM

Dropshippers.

Custard Pie 12-11-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissroll (Post 15499911)
Dropshippers.

Didn't even know this was a thing until today (BBC website had an article).

Bloody leeching freeloaders (apologies to anyone on here who does it - no offence meant).

Stavros 69 12-11-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin (Post 15499906)
When did that become law? I must have missed that one. We obviously need Council paid marshals to enforce it.

It’s basic manners and sensible all round, doesn’t need to be law to make sense esp in these times.

Hedgehog 12-11-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15499993)
It’s basic manners and sensible all round, doesn’t need to be law to make sense esp in these times.

When I first moved to America I found I was always having to get out of the way when passing people on the pavement or in aisles at work.

I released that I was actually walking on the wrong side (the left), but it was totally a subconscious thing.

I've got the hang of it now and keep to the right, but yes it really is an unwritten rule.

easysqueezy 12-11-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15498525)
To melt the Kit-Kat?

Sorry I meant to quote Stavros

RazorsEdge 12-11-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500012)
When I first moved to America I found I was always having to get out of the way when passing people on the pavement or in aisles at work.

I released that I was actually walking on the wrong side (the left), but it was totally a subconscious thing.

I've got the hang of it now and keep to the right, but yes it really is an unwritten rule.

The worst thing I found was crossing the road, looking left, no vehicles and stepping out to oncoming vehicles.....

west country boy 12-11-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15493445)

Christ.

Mark "Creepy sexpest" Lawson's smug dismissal of Bobby Ball on the latter's death was fairly unpleasant too: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-entertainment

Hedgehog 12-11-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15500023)
The worst thing I found was crossing the road, looking left, no vehicles and stepping out to oncoming vehicles.....

Bloody jaywalkers!

Richard 12-11-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500030)
Christ.

Mark "Creepy sexpest" Lawson's smug dismissal of Bobby Ball on the latter's death was fairly unpleasant too: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-entertainment

Wow - there was real Islington Guardianista lemon-sucking in that obituary !

In contrast to a lot of the generous comments made at the time by a lot of younger comedians, which I have to confess being surprised and impressed by.

Richard 12-11-2020 06:42 PM

And did he get the ultimate accolade of Stella & Maz pretending not to know who he was on here ?

Maz 12-11-2020 07:23 PM

Au contraire, M. leBitchy ; my very first job was at a pub where the owner claimed to have discovered the fabulously “comedic” duo.

RazorsEdge 13-11-2020 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500035)
Bloody jaywalkers!

Tell me about it, never knew it was a crime till I found out it is in Yankee land :)

Stavros 69 13-11-2020 04:00 PM

People who don’t place the divider on the conveyer belt when at the checkout whilst shopping.

Stavros 69 13-11-2020 04:01 PM

Also today I legged it’s to the supermarket, this lady had a fully trolley of shopping in front of me. Just as it was her turn she decided to call someone so one arm was out of action whilst packing.
I wanted to beat her to death with my sourdough.

Nostrils 13-11-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15500694)
People who don’t place the divider on the conveyer belt when at the checkout whilst shopping.

They got rid of them at Morrison's, too many filthy fingers I guess.



Broken teabags ruining the brew.

Richard 13-11-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15500696)
Also today I legged it’s to the supermarket, this lady had a fully trolley of shopping in front of me. Just as it was her turn she decided to call someone so one arm was out of action whilst packing.
I wanted to beat her to death with my sourdough.

Middle Class Problems thread ?

Stellavista 13-11-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 15500048)
And did he get the ultimate accolade of Stella & Maz pretending not to know who he was on here ?

Well, I'll go for a variation on that. I've heard of Cannon and Ball, but if you showed me a photo of them, I couldn't tell you which was which. ;)

west country boy 13-11-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15500108)
Au contraire, M. leBitchy ; my very first job was at a pub where the owner claimed to have discovered the fabulously “comedic” duo.

You call Dear Dickie bitchy yet refer to Cannon and Ball as “comedic”?

Stella’s response is as expected.

west country boy 13-11-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 15500699)
Middle Class Problems thread ?

If Stav was actually middle class he’d make his own sourdough.

El Aguila 13-11-2020 04:40 PM

The review was harsh, but fair. They were a notch or four below the Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise.

Sharkba1t 13-11-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15500696)
Also today I legged it’s to the supermarket, this lady had a fully trolley of shopping in front of me. Just as it was her turn she decided to call someone so one arm was out of action whilst packing.
I wanted to beat her to death with my sourdough.

I'm sure you felt a sense of superiority as you looked at your basket with its content of Kale, Quinoa, Chia seeds etc and compared it to hers filled with ready made full fat pizzas and sugary drinks. ;)

west country boy 13-11-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15500730)
The review was harsh, but fair. They were a notch or four below the Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise.

Mark Lawson is an odious smug onanistic shit and therefore nothing he is responsible for has any worth. Bobby Ball was also a decent comic actor in his later years.

Back on topic: Mark "sexpest" Lawson.

El Aguila 13-11-2020 05:16 PM

I confess I missed out on Bobby's late career, and have no idea about these journalists on the dailies and their pecadillos.

Danny_Cheviot 13-11-2020 05:22 PM

More and more Colleagues at work are telling me to ‘reach out to xxxxxx’.

If that phrase becomes common English language I’m moving to Tristan Da Cunha.

EmmerGreenEagle 13-11-2020 05:27 PM

Diligenta

Hedgehog 13-11-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15500696)
Also today I legged it’s to the supermarket, this lady had a fully trolley of shopping in front of me. Just as it was her turn she decided to call someone so one arm was out of action whilst packing.
I wanted to beat her to death with my sourdough.

To continue the supermarket theme...

Yesterday I had a cart pretty full and was second in line to checkout. Behind me was a young lady carrying in her arms just two items, so I say to her she go go ahead of me, to which she thanks me. Just then her boyfriend shows up with a basket full of stuff (not a chart full, but still maybe 5 or 6 items).

To her credit she did say, is it still OK. Not much you can say at that point without being an arsehole. Didn't annoy me, but made me smile actually... what's that old saying about no good deed goes unpunished?

Timbo 13-11-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15498453)
A 20-second microwaved Mars Bar is a thing of beauty.

Does one microwave it in the wrapper?

Hedgehog 13-11-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15500771)
Does one microwave it in the wrapper?

Mars Bar/Snickers yes, Kit-Kat no.

west country boy 13-11-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500774)
Mars Bar/Snickers yes, Kit-Kat no.

Kit Kats haven't had foil wrappers for ages.

I would happily throw a Kitcatt in the fire.

norwoodeagle 13-11-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500788)
Kit Kats haven't had foil wrappers for ages.

I would happily throw a Kitcatt in the fire.

The two finger KitKat is still foil wrapped with paper sleeve.
Old school and still the best.

Hedgehog 13-11-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500788)
Kit Kats haven't had foil wrappers for ages.

Not here in the land of the free and the home of the brave...

west country boy 13-11-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwoodeagle (Post 15500808)
The two finger KitKat is still foil wrapped with paper sleeve.
Old school and still the best.

Two finger Kit Kats are for wimps.

BERT'S HEAD 13-11-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15500771)
Does one microwave it in the wrapper?

Always naked, so you can see how it's bubbling along.

Hedgehog 13-11-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15500820)
Always naked, so you can see how it's bubbling along.

NO!

Well not in the microwave at work anyway...

Richard 13-11-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15500730)
The review was harsh, but fair. They were a notch or four below the Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise.

It was an obituary, not a review !

west country boy 13-11-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 15500853)
It was an obituary, not a review !

It was neither of these things, it was the sneering bully Mark Lawson being a bellend as usual.

El Aguila 13-11-2020 07:12 PM

They actually called it an "appreciation".

There's so much space online these days that you get five pieces in each medium, whenever someone dies. Which makes room from for one sneery piece.

El Aguila 13-11-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500788)
Kit Kats haven't had foil wrappers for ages.

I would happily throw a Kitcatt in the fire.

Poor show, is all I'm saying.

Stavros 69 13-11-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15500739)
I'm sure you felt a sense of superiority as you looked at your basket with its content of Kale, Quinoa, Chia seeds etc and compared it to hers filled with ready made full fat pizzas and sugary drinks. ;)

I can’t live without my roasted figs

Stavros 69 13-11-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500729)
If Stav was actually middle class he’d make his own sourdough.

Life is too short to make bread

OLD BASING EAGLE 13-11-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15500724)
Well, I'll go for a variation on that. I've heard of Cannon and Ball, but if you showed me a photo of them, I couldn't tell you which was which. ;)

I am the same but with Dec and Ant.

BERT'S HEAD 13-11-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15500859)
It was neither of these things, it was the sneering bully Mark Lawson being a bellend as usual.

Wonder what he makes of Hale and Pace.

FORZA SELHURST 13-11-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BASING EAGLE (Post 15501009)
I am the same but with Dec and Ant.

They're both characters played by Andrew Scott.

west country boy 13-11-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BASING EAGLE (Post 15501009)
I am the same but with Dec and Ant.

Ant is always on the viewers' left and Dec lives near me. Easy to remember.

Maidstoned Eagle 14-11-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500767)
To continue the supermarket theme...

Yesterday I had a cart pretty full and was second in line to checkout. Behind me was a young lady carrying in her arms just two items, so I say to her she go go ahead of me, to which she thanks me. Just then her boyfriend shows up with a basket full of stuff (not a chart full, but still maybe 5 or 6 items).

To her credit she did say, is it still OK. Not much you can say at that point without being an arsehole. Didn't annoy me, but made me smile actually... what's that old saying about no good deed goes unpunished?

The Spanish have a habit of standing in the queue with a basket of items and either leaving it there to go and get more items, placing items on the belt and the going off to get some more shopping or, as happened yesterday, leave the items being checked by the cashier and going round the shop for a second round.

Several times I have stepped over the basket in the queue to be served and been approached by an indignant shopper who feels I should have waited for their return.

ceeby 14-11-2020 08:26 AM

Delivery texts at 7am on a Saturday morning that tell you your driver will be with you between 3 & 4 pm.

Stavros 69 14-11-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15501113)
The Spanish have a habit of standing in the queue with a basket of items and either leaving it there to go and get more items, placing items on the belt and the going off to get some more shopping or, as happened yesterday, leave the items being checked by the cashier and going round the shop for a second round.

Several times I have stepped over the basket in the queue to be served and been approached by an indignant shopper who feels I should have waited for their return.

Yep, a few weeks ago I was in this situation where someone had left their trolley in the queue and gone to get more items. The person who was packing/paying had finished so I just stepped around the trolley and put my stuff down. I was 3-4 items in when he came back with a case of bud demanding he should be first.
No dice amigo!

Maidstoned Eagle 14-11-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15501225)
Que dice amigo?

EFA

Tony Montana 14-11-2020 12:07 PM

"Non conformists" that conform to every stereotype of non conformist. It's like they've gone onto Google to look for a non conformist starter kit. Wankers.

Danny_Cheviot 14-11-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceeby (Post 15501115)
Delivery texts at 7am on a Saturday morning that tell you your driver will be with you between 3 & 4 pm.

:)

Stavros 69 14-11-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Montana (Post 15501238)
"Non conformists" that conform to every stereotype of non conformist. It's like they've gone onto Google to look for a non conformist starter kit. Wankers.

:supergrin:

WLYWLYAWYPWF 14-11-2020 11:36 PM

Women boxers lack of sportsmanship. They are so bitchy. They rarely acknowledge each other after the final bell and begrudgingly offer a token embrace once the decision is made. Bloke boxers are virtually sucking each others cocks after the most brutal bouts ever.

Hedgehog 15-11-2020 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 15502117)
Women boxers lack of sportsmanship. They are so bitchy. They rarely acknowledge each other after the final bell and begrudgingly offer a token embrace once the decision is made. Bloke boxers are virtually sucking each others cocks after the most brutal bouts ever.

Was wife was sent a link by one of her "friends" to a video of two Cage Fighter that were hugging and embracing after a fight. My wife shows me and says, "How can they be like that after nearly killing each other?"

I said it wasn't unusual, and happens all the time in boxing and cage fighting.

She went away shaking her head in disbelief.

I suspect it is another one of those "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" things.

CT_Palace 15-11-2020 02:33 PM

The curry’s ad... and I know others do it too

Their avoidance of saying prices correctly unless it’s the “saving”.
New tv... one one nine nine...
Saving.... four hundred and ninety five pounds

Do they honestly think there’s some sort of psychological benefit to avoiding saying “thousand” or “hundred” or “pounds” when quoting a price?

Maidstoned Eagle 15-11-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15502457)
The curry’s ad... and I know others do it too

Their avoidance of saying prices correctly unless it’s the “saving”.
New tv... one one nine nine...
Saving.... four hundred and ninety five pounds

Do they honestly think there’s some sort of psychological benefit to avoiding saying “thousand” or “hundred” or “pounds” when quoting a price?

Yes, that's why they do it

Santos-er 15-11-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15502623)
Yes, that's why they do it


I’ve often wondered why companies spend so much money on advertising, given how little I base my purchases on any ads. Even if I saw something advertised that interested me, I’d a) only get it if I really needed it b) go online and find it cheaper elsewhere.

So advertising seemed rather pointless to me.

Then I met my girlfriend, who will buy any pair of leggings that some idiot on Instagram tries on and offers a discount code, and realised that there are some very easily swayed people out there...

chav_hater 15-11-2020 05:39 PM

Emails from Just Eat at 4.30pm on a Sunday night offering 20% off my favourite curry house when you have already got food out the freezer.

CT_Palace 15-11-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15502623)
Yes, that's why they do it

Well it’s ******* annoying.

Are people really that easily fooled?
Let’s buy a new tv! Which one? Well, this one is one thousand two hundred pounds, but this one is only one two oh oh...

:confused::confused:

Hedgehog 15-11-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15502457)
The curry’s ad... and I know others do it too

Their avoidance of saying prices correctly unless it’s the “saving”.
New tv... one one nine nine...
Saving.... four hundred and ninety five pounds

Do they honestly think there’s some sort of psychological benefit to avoiding saying “thousand” or “hundred” or “pounds” when quoting a price?

Why do you think everything is something 99?

Be it a house for $499,000 or a widget for $1.99.

But, yes I agree... it's a time old trick.

Stellavista 15-11-2020 06:25 PM

Fred Perry. £90 for a sweatshirt. Pisstakers.

adrenalin john 15-11-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15502677)
Fred Perry. £90 for a sweatshirt. Pisstakers.

I paid that to buy a non-branded catheter, that's really taking the piss.

Hedgehog 15-11-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15502677)
Fred Perry. £90 for a sweatshirt. Pisstakers.

Surely £89.99?

PeterH 15-11-2020 07:08 PM

They try those prices. When they stick, then that becomes the industry norm. And once again life get a little more expensive.

Worksop Palace 15-11-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15502677)
Fred Perry. £90 for a sweatshirt. Pisstakers.

Wow. Appalling stuff

Pat of the Palace 15-11-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15502676)
Why do you think everything is something 99?

Be it a house for $499,000 or a widget for $1.99.

But, yes I agree... it's a time old trick.

The 99 thing was also to avoid fiddling by obliging the shop worker to use the till to get the penny out. That's why there used to be a bell on the drawer too.

west country boy 15-11-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15502648)
Well it’s ******* annoying.

Are people really that easily fooled?
Let’s buy a new tv! Which one? Well, this one is one thousand two hundred pounds, but this one is only one two oh oh...

:confused::confused:

I would be surprised if it worked in your manor.

Maidstoned Eagle 15-11-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15502677)
Fred Perry. £90 for a sweatshirt. Pisstakers.

Bloody hell, couldn't give them away in the lat 80s/90s

west country boy 15-11-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15502761)
Bloody hell, couldn't give them away in the lat 80s/90s

This is very far from true.

Pat of the Palace 15-11-2020 08:10 PM

Those lovely Proud boys are wearing Fred Perry aren't they? The company must be well pleased about that endorsement.

in-exile 15-11-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 15502117)
Women boxers lack of sportsmanship. They are so bitchy. They rarely acknowledge each other after the final bell and begrudgingly offer a token embrace once the decision is made. Bloke boxers are virtually sucking each others cocks after the most brutal bouts ever.

Is this from the weird dreams thread .. posted here by mistake ?

Reps AJ 15-11-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat of the Palace (Post 15502768)
Those lovely Proud boys are wearing Fred Perry aren't they? The company must be well pleased about that endorsement.

They stopped selling the style they wear

CT_Palace 15-11-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15502676)
Why do you think everything is something 99?

Be it a house for $499,000 or a widget for $1.99.

But, yes I agree... it's a time old trick.

I dunno... I have this down as different to the old .99 price tag. they’re just turning £1250 into 1 2 5 0 which doesn’t make any sense. When does anyone respond to a “what’s that cost?” question by giving the price in single digits?

How much are Fred Perry sweatshirts?
Ans: nine oh.

It just sounds dumb

Pat of the Palace 15-11-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15502785)
They stopped selling the style they wear

I thought only in the States? (Could be wrong)
Be easy enough to get online if they were bothered.

Best response would be a BLM Fred Perry :D

Hedgehog 15-11-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15502798)
I dunno... I have this down as different to the old .99 price tag. they’re just turning £1250 into 1 2 5 0 which doesn’t make any sense. When does anyone respond to a “what’s that cost?” question by giving the price in single digits?

How much are Fred Perry sweatshirts?
Ans: nine oh.

It just sounds dumb

In a similar vein punters on Pawn Stars have taken to asking for example 5 for their item they are trying to flog.

Even Rick said recently in response, "I assume you mean 5,000?". Is it some kind of trying to be cool?

I'll keep an ear out for the all number thing... not sure I've heard it.

CT_Palace 15-11-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15502825)
In a similar vein punters on Pawn Stars have taken to asking for example 5 for their item they are trying to flog.

Even Rick said recently in response, "I assume you mean 5,000?". Is it some kind of trying to be cool?

I'll keep an ear out for the all number thing... not sure I've heard it.

I’ve only heard it on U.K. adverts.

Hedgehog 15-11-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15502832)
I’ve only heard it on U.K. adverts.

Ah... makes sense... well not the actual number calling, but the fact I haven't heard it.

cappuccinoeagle 15-11-2020 09:47 PM

Kevin Bacon
Go back to being an OK actor, and give up the EE ads.
That’s all.

Maidstoned Eagle 15-11-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15502766)
This is very far from true.

Well I was working in sports retail from the mid 80's then (Olympus sports etc) and trust me, it's true. After a brief renaissance due to the ska revival of the early 80s Fred Perry was considered low end product amongst the influx of names such as Sergio Tacchini, Fila, Lacoste, Australian, Pringle, Lyle and Scott and Kappa.

The sales at many of the stores were bargain bins of Fred Perry sweatshirts, trainers etc. The polo shirt was still sort after but only in dwindling numbers.

big bad John 16-11-2020 12:02 AM

In the U.S we are swamped with commercials flogging you some gadget or other for the unbelievable price of $19.99. They always end up telling you, that as you're so great they're going to send you two for the same low price.
It seems like nine times out of ten the salesperson has an English accent. The reasons behind this is that according to research the yanks trust the word of an English person more so than any other nationality, including their own.
Unfortunately the cynic in me sees a slimy, shyster who did his apprenticeship selling so called stolen perfume to vulnerable old dears at Petticoat lane. If this gig doesn't work out then he will become a kids saaaacher coach, even though he's never kicked a ball in his life. Meanwhile the yank sees an honest English gentlemen with an adorable accent and they can't wait to send him their credit details.

Hedgehog 16-11-2020 12:14 AM

Always thought the same John. Same with judges on talent shows, and for some reason owls in commercials.

Like you I see them as used car salesmen or estate agents...

Jonboy 16-11-2020 12:23 AM

On the power of 9 in consumer adverting: you see a state of the art TV with a price tag of £999 and your conscious mind thinks "a £1,000 TV" meh. Your subconscious mind thinks "a state of the art TV for less than £1,000. That's a good price".

They are not trying to persuade you to buy a TV if you don't need one. If later, you do need a new TV, your subconcious mind remembers and whispers to you that Curry's (or whoever) have TVs at good prices.

Jonboy 16-11-2020 12:27 AM

And one more thing for people who say they are not influenced by advertising, this is only partially true.

You are not influenced by adverts that are not aimed at you. You don't notice that the adverts that are aimed at you are adverts.

Wolfnipplechips 16-11-2020 12:27 AM

Just seen a McDonalds ad that made me want to puke.

Are you reindeer ready? Wankers.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.