CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 12-09-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
Not at all. Did you take that before Sunday or after? I thought they had a good chance for 10-6 this year. I see them as 2nd in the North behind the Packers. I had the Rams, Saints, Eagles as division winners. There won't be a wild-card from the West. I think the 2 wild cards will be between the Cowboys, Lions and Falcons. They looked good yesterday, apart from some moronic penalties, so I think they have a good chance.

Of course, to do really well, the Lions need Stafford to stay fit the majority of the time. Sadly not much indication of that so far, but hopefully this year will be different.

What about the Falcons, Funkster? Tied for top in the NFC South with the Panthers right now.....:D

Julio Jones looks like a stud WR, but will they regret not plugging some gaps at the back with those extra picks in years to come?

jazman 12-09-2011 09:58 PM

What a wonderful night of NFL action. I was up until 1am watching, just couldn't make it all the way to Jets/Cowboys coverage. There was a lot more relevant than a win or a loss yesterday as a lot of fans will testify. A very emotional day.

Fantastic to have the game back on our screens and RedZone added to the experience for me. Shame StatTracker was so shite ...

Just finished watching the Cowboys game. What a game. Yes, a Romo balls up probably cost us the game. And this season is defining for me when it comes our QB. He has to eradicate such errors from his game. But as a whole, I was very pleased with our performance and being honest I had that game penned as one of our three losses this season (along with our games against the Pats and one of the Philly games).

jazman 12-09-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
They tricked him. Single coverage disguised as double.

Jets get lucky again, Cowboys had 6-8 injuries including Bryant, Scandrick and Jenkins.

Rob Ryan was pissed at the end

This. We had them on the ropes and couldn't get it done.

Bryant/Revis match was great to watch, hilarious at times ... I'd love to have heard what they were saying to each other ...

First game and dropping like flies was a worry but wow, that Miles Austin catch/snatch/grab was brilliant. Fought for the ball to the end and seeing two playing falling from the air still fighting for the ball ... great passion.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 12-09-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
But as a whole, I was very pleased with our performance and being honest I had that game penned as one of our three losses this season (along with our games against the Pats and one of the Philly games).

Heh heh!

pauldrulez 12-09-2011 10:50 PM

I won't change my pick, but I think Dolphins sneak this tonight.

Brian Daboll always has a plan vs Belichick. Look at the Browns last year. He'll have some Reggie Bush trick plays lined up.

I also think the Phins have a highly underrated defense. One of the top 10 in the league.

I'm going for a Phins win or Pats blowout and Sparano quits by November.

Funk Butter 12-09-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
Of course, to do really well, the Lions need Stafford to stay fit the majority of the time. Sadly not much indication of that so far, but hopefully this year will be different.

What about the Falcons, Funkster? Tied for top in the NFC South with the Panthers right now.....:D

Julio Jones looks like a stud WR, but will they regret not plugging some gaps at the back with those extra picks in years to come?

They looked like a team that needed training camp. Which shouldn't be the case since they have had pretty much the same team for 3 years. They had bad turnovers, dumb penalties and terrible 3rd down plays. No chance to win. Their secondary actually wasn't bad, you had two 50yd screen plays which really was a killer. They didn't tackle worth a damn, either. On offense, the Bears were playing a deep coverage, so Ryan was never able to go downfield and had to take the short stuff.

If they lay an egg against Philly next week, then it's panic time.

pauldrulez 12-09-2011 11:10 PM

As the commentators said, do the Falcons now regret blowing all that on Julio Jones when they could have got a couple of solid Defensive players instead and maybe looked at one of the 4 or 5 solid WRs in the Free Agency pool.

Ridcully 12-09-2011 11:11 PM

Anyone going to the Wembley game? Just bagged 4 tix for me, the wife and my boys...after my first live game last year (college - UoM) can't wait to see the big guys live.

jazman 12-09-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridcully
Anyone going to the Wembley game? Just bagged 4 tix for me, the wife and my boys...after my first live game last year (college - UoM) can't wait to see the big guys live.

Yep, I think the majority of us are going as ever ...

Funk Butter 12-09-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
As the commentators said, do the Falcons now regret blowing all that on Julio Jones when they could have got a couple of solid Defensive players instead and maybe looked at one of the 4 or 5 solid WRs in the Free Agency pool.

I don't think so. If you look at the meat of what they gave up, the 27th and 59th pick in the 2011 draft and the first round pick next season, their really only concerned with next year's pick if this season goes in the crapper. They didn't like any of the defensive options at 27 (of course saying that, they didn't expect all those defensive players to fall down the draft board), and they wanted to get a guy in FA to cover the other defensive end position. They wanted Charles Johnson, but the Panthers gave him a huge deal. Ray Edwards is signed for half of what Johnson is making. They probably would have looked at the Giants DEs that were available if Edwards hadn't signed.

With the new rookie wage scale, Julio comes in at a much better price and probably costs much less than a comparable veteran. Everybody around the team says that he'll be a dominant WR in time. Everybody, even around here, forgets how bad Roddy White was his first few years. He'd make a ridiculous circus catch, then drop 4 straight passes that hit him in the hands. Unbelievably, his breakout year was when Vick went to jail and he had Harrington, Redman and Leftwich throwing to him.

Ridcully 12-09-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Yep, I think the majority of us are going as ever ...

Cool, really cannot wait for this...just getting back into NFL after about 20 years absence :D

pauldrulez 13-09-2011 12:09 AM

Let's go Pats.

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-09-2011 12:14 AM

any streams for this game Paul??

pauldrulez 13-09-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
any streams for this game Paul??

Check out first row sports.

I'm watching it on ESPN.

That drive just demonstrated my point on Gronkowski. To big for a Safety or CB to cover him, to fast and huge wingspan in the Redzone for a LB to cover him. He and Hernandez are matchup nightmares.

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-09-2011 01:12 AM

Ta

Where is Chad dammit!

oz_da II 13-09-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Ta

Where is Chad dammit!

He just reached for his first Patriots reception with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter.

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-09-2011 01:57 AM

That turnover was awful from Brady

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-09-2011 01:58 AM

and it leads to a TD for Dolphins

pauldrulez 13-09-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

That turnover was awful from Brady

?

It was a great play by Sapp.

Who then got worked on for the go-ahead touchdown.

oz_da II 13-09-2011 02:57 AM

What's Belichick doing on the 3 yard line?

Get back in your box, Bill!