CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

gold76 22-01-2022 03:10 PM

Veganuary
Non chicken chicken
plant based burgers

**** you cows, mooing *****

Maidstoned Eagle 22-01-2022 04:02 PM

Which part annoys you? The cows mooing or the vegan food?

gold76 22-01-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 16226903)
Which part annoys you? The cows mooing or the vegan food?

Both!

I actually like things like Quorn and have several meat free days each week, I couldn't give it up completely though.

It's just feels whenever you turn on the box, there's an ad for something or other..

And don't get me started on those poncey oatey milks :)

davech 22-01-2022 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold76 (Post 16227023)
Both!

I actually like things like Quorn and have several meat free days each week, I couldn't give it up completely though.

It's just feels whenever you turn on the box, there's an ad for something or other..

And don't get me started on those poncey oatey milks :)

Is it really milk though? Are they actually allowed to call it 'milk'?

Maidstoned Eagle 22-01-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16227077)
Is it really milk though? Are they actually allowed to call it 'milk'?

Jay Rayner calls it "discharge". :D

monkey 22-01-2022 07:03 PM

When you do a covid test early in the morning, half asleep, for a job interview, after being assured that if you haven’t got proof of being negative you’ll be turned away……and they don’t even mention it :wallbash:

beef 22-01-2022 07:33 PM

Noisy neighbours. Kids never stop whining and crying and now they’ve got a ******* dog that barks all day

Shipp Ahoy! 22-01-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 16227241)
Noisy neighbours. Kids never stop whining and crying and now they’ve got a ******* dog that barks all day

Oh I know that pain :(

We moved in 2 years ago when an old woman lived next door, we once listened intently as we heard Who Wants To Be a Millionaire one night quietly through the wall and had a little moan about it to each other... Oh how I miss the sound of Chris Tarrant now :sob:

PALACEWU 22-01-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 16227225)
When you do a covid test early in the morning, half asleep, for a job interview, after being assured that if you haven’t got proof of being negative you’ll be turned away……and they don’t even mention it :wallbash:

I have to test every day, they trust that should I test positive I wouldn't come to work, nothing is ever said, hope you get the job.

Stellavista 23-01-2022 01:58 AM

'Furchild'
WTF?

Hedgehog 23-01-2022 07:11 AM

Being reduced to having to turn Close Captioning on while watching a programme (mainly Scottish) because I couldn't understand half of what was being said.

Actually went back and watched the last 20 minutes again with CC on, and it really helped... looks like the way to go.

Maidstoned Eagle 23-01-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16227903)
'Furchild'
WTF?

No!?.....furbaby is bad enough.

Stellavista 23-01-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 16227969)
No!?.....furbaby is bad enough.

Used in conjunction with 'crossing the Rainbow Bridge'.
Are these people f*cking mad?

Terrace Bickle 23-01-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16227948)
Being reduced to having to turn Close Captioning on while watching a programme (mainly Scottish) because I couldn't understand half of what was being said.

Actually went back and watched the last 20 minutes again with CC on, and it really helped... looks like the way to go.

I frequently use subtitles and I don't hit 50 until next year and have good hearing. I often find the sound levels quite poor on dramas and films and a lot of dialogue too quick or mumbled (realism I guess).

Blind_Eagle 23-01-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16228189)

Yes.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 23-01-2022 12:31 PM

Puncture in my rear tyre 3 weeks after replacing it to another puncture. Expensive business at 163 quid a pop.

Wolfnipplechips 23-01-2022 12:36 PM

Bloody hell.

You driving a Massey Ferguson?

pallet 23-01-2022 12:58 PM

Trying to park in London. Stupid of me I kniw to drive but now it is impossible to park anywhere

chrisophiex 23-01-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 16228200)
I frequently use subtitles and I don't hit 50 until next year and have good hearing. I often find the sound levels quite poor on dramas and films and a lot of dialogue too quick or mumbled (realism I guess).

Are you using a soundbar or speakers to improve the TV sound, or just the TV speakers ?

Terrace Bickle 23-01-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 16228275)
Are you using a soundbar or speakers to improve the TV sound, or just the TV speakers ?

TBH it's not the TV speakers, they're pretty good for a smart TV, though I find the same when I'm using a sound bar too.

chrisophiex 23-01-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 16228277)
TBH it's not the TV speakers, they're pretty good for a smart TV, though I find the same when I'm using a sound bar too.

May I ask how much you paid for the soundbar ? Sorry to be nosey but am genuinely interested

Terrace Bickle 23-01-2022 01:29 PM

No problem, it's about 3-4 years old and I don't remember. It was a decent enough model and I read up before buying. TBH I think the issue is my brain rather than the hardware. 16 years of listening to my wife is probably what's done the damage. [emoji4]

Maidstoned Eagle 23-01-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 16228275)

Im the same...and we have speakers right the way up the wazoo....theres just loads of mumbling dialogue these days.

Maidstoned Eagle 23-01-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16228189)

Ive had to be dragged away from people posting that on social media, my other annoyances are people that speak to their animals like theyre small children and (or) dress the things up....you love your pet but you want to humilate the poor thing at every opportunity?

Terrace Bickle 23-01-2022 02:39 PM

Yep, it's bordering on cruel as the dogs are obviously quite uncomfortable in some of these stupid outfits (Christmas and Halloween).

Maidstoned Eagle 23-01-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 16228372)
Yep, it's bordering on cruel as the dogs are obviously quite uncomfortable in some of these stupid outfits (Christmas and Halloween).

Have some friends who run a dog sanctuary and they often post pics of the dogs they've rescued dressed up. I pulled them on it one day and they agreed but, apparently, when they share pics.like this on social media their donations spike.

Silks&Tekkers 23-01-2022 07:30 PM

People who grass on their own. Man in the main stand today chased and pointed at a young fan… dirty dirty grass.

Olympian2 23-01-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silks&Tekkers (Post 16230357)
People who grass on their own. Man in the main stand today chased and pointed at a young fan… dirty dirty grass.

What had the young fan supposedly done?

foxinthebox 23-01-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Your disgust shouldn't be greater for the grass than the culprit.

Hedgehog 23-01-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 16228200)

I'll admit I'm a bit Mutt 'n' Jeff, but even with hearing aids in, and having a sound bar, it's still tough. Completely has ruined any enjoyment... although using CC looks like the way to go for me now.

UK drama shows seem the worse to me. Background music doesn't help, and is way too loud, so I'm constantly adjusting the volume.

Shipp Ahoy! 23-01-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16230367)
What had the young fan supposedly done?

Threw a bottle.

The bloke did the right thing.

I can't stand people who attack others for 'grassing' when what they are actually doing is right.

Shipp Ahoy! 23-01-2022 07:56 PM

Quote:

Grow up.

beef 23-01-2022 07:58 PM

Yep. It’s Palace - not the mafia (despite what HF think)

weltklasse 25-01-2022 11:33 AM

Waking up 20 mins before my alarm clock goes off FFS!

Adlerhorst 25-01-2022 11:42 AM

HR functions. Are any even halfway competent?

Pidster 25-01-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16233237)
HR functions. Are any even halfway competent?

No.

In my experience, they seem to solely concentrate their efforts on designing new forms.

Terrace Bickle 25-01-2022 02:43 PM

Expecting to see Elizabeth Rizzini present the lunchtime weather and it's Kate Kinsella. [emoji51]

pallet 25-01-2022 06:10 PM

Actually begining to like Roy Keane abit. I annoy myself and feel dirty

E.X Moontoad 26-01-2022 04:25 PM

The whistle at the end of McDonald's ads.

Hedgehog 26-01-2022 06:19 PM

The ability of TV channels to show adverts all at the same time... in other words, it is nice to flip to another channel during the ads just to catch up with what is happening and that channel is also on ads, and the next one and the next one... And I'm not talking about major networks here, just little old cable channels.

Maybe a US problem.

Maz 26-01-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16235835)
The ability of TV channels to show adverts all at the same time... in other words, it is nice to flip to another channel during the ads just to catch up with what is happening and that channel is also on ads, and the next one and the next one... And I'm not talking about major networks here, just little old cable channels.

Maybe a US problem.

Mainly ; in the UK advertising is limited to only 12 minutes per hour. In the US this rises to 15 to 18 minutes.

Maidstoned Eagle 26-01-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16235846)
Mainly ; in the UK advertising is limited to only 12 minutes per hour. In the US this rises to 15 to 18 minutes.

Spanish telly ad breaks are awful, if theyre showing a film theyll have a 15 minute ad break about 10 minutes from the end.

Maz 26-01-2022 07:33 PM

Ouch! I should’ve added that the rules stipulate that the total amount of advertising allowed on any one channel is no more than seven minutes per broadcast hour. How civilised we are here!

CT_Palace 26-01-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16235846)

Does that include ads for their own shows?

Maz 26-01-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 16235949)
Does that include ads for their own shows?

Everything except charity appeals, public information ads and "publicity by the licensees themselves except information to viewers about or in connection with programmes."

CT_Palace 26-01-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16235972)
Everything except charity appeals, public information ads and "publicity by the licensees themselves except information to viewers about or in connection with programmes."

Hmmm, well it’s still too much for me. Although it must be said that I have been exposed to US tv more than UK in the last 30 years.
The only commercial tv channel I watch now is ESPN and the global news channels (and those, sparingly) I haven’t watched any other channels for many years.

gold76 26-01-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.X Moontoad (Post 16235744)
The whistle at the end of McDonald's ads.

And the smug voiceover ****

PeterH 26-01-2022 10:47 PM

Here they have rolling screen adverts all through the programmes. They start the news with 6 or 7 sponsors, tell you the headline, and then go on an advert break. They even advertise new upcoming shows on the news as though they are real news items. If you watch a film after 11pm here, they show the first hour without a break and then have 7 or 8 breaks at the end - including one that returns to show the final credits, and another before the next show starts. Plus, they advertise products on shows and product placement is rife.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 26-01-2022 11:52 PM

Quote:

Maybe a US problem.

No .It's just as bad here .Although to be honest I don't watch much commercial TV because in the main it's crap. Or, will give a film a miss because of the amount of ads. I found out early on they will leave a film without an ad break for 15 minutes ,then bombard you with them. Something like The Chase which should be half an hour lasts an hour.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 27-01-2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Maybe a US problem.

No. Now that we have 200 or whatever 'Freeview' channels in the UK I often find that you can't escape the adverts, even on an obscure channel, because they appear to be largely synchronised.

I used to run a whole bunch of Airtime Sales computer systems for all the old ITV regionals. It was quite fascinating learning about the business behind the adverts! We used to have to load all of the BARB and AGB data into our systems to see if the regionals owed money back to the advertisers for poorer than predicted viewing figures, or vice-versa. Apparently there was an equivalent of a 'trading floor' where the advertising sellers would compete with each other to sell the prime slots at the highest price and would 'gazump' each other sometimes resulting in fisticuffs as targets had to be met :D

Polak 27-01-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 16233500)
Expecting to see Elizabeth Rizzini present the lunchtime weather and it's Kate Kinsella. [emoji51]

It's now in HD as well. I have the same problem when Lucy Verasamy isn't doing the ITV weather.

Mr Mojo Risin 27-01-2022 09:34 PM

Morrissey. I love the Smiths and think his lyrics are up there with the greatest. They have provided comfort in difficult times, humour and thought. He was once like an uncle you looked up to.

But now he's like the embarrassing uncle you avoid at Christmas. I used to overlook some of his questionable flirtations with far right imagery, just dismissing it as art, but now his racist rants make that impossible.

And it annoys because I think he was so talented and the Smiths were brilliant. But I can't listen to the Smiths anymore without thinking about what he's like now. He's recently fired another diatribe at Johnny Marr who must be even more annoyed than me about it.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 27-01-2022 10:04 PM

Sky Sports News conflating women's football with mens.

Old Joe Paxton 27-01-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16238501)

In what way?

WLYWLYAWYPWF 27-01-2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 16238586)
In what way?

Ticker tape saying Manchester United have signed a player on loan. Turns out it's the women's team.

OLD BASING EAGLE 27-01-2022 11:17 PM

Littering, I’ve just popped down the pub for a nightcap and there is a trail of various macdonalds Boxes, bags, drinks cartons etc strewn down the road. Must have been thrown from a car as we are miles from the nearest outlet.

NRM the 2nd 27-01-2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BASING EAGLE (Post 16238952)
Littering, I’ve just popped down the pub for a nightcap and there is a trail of various macdonalds Boxes, bags, drinks cartons etc strewn down the road. Must have been thrown from a car as we are miles from the nearest outlet.

One of the nicest things of the first lockdown when all the fast food shops were closed was not having their rubbish everywhere

Isle of Wight 27-01-2022 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BASING EAGLE (Post 16238952)

It’s exponential. Every time a new drive thru appears the litter goes up. The councils don’t care they just want a few Bob in tax. Just coz it cost them more to pick up the shit in the long run doesn’t enter into the equation. Hate the bloody things

PeterH 28-01-2022 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 16238325)
Morrissey. I love the Smiths and think his lyrics are up there with the greatest. They have provided comfort in difficult times, humour and thought. He was once like an uncle you looked up to.

But now he's like the embarrassing uncle you avoid at Christmas. I used to overlook some of his questionable flirtations with far right imagery, just dismissing it as art, but now his racist rants make that impossible.

And it annoys because I think he was so talented and the Smiths were brilliant. But I can't listen to the Smiths anymore without thinking about what he's like now. He's recently fired another diatribe at Johnny Marr who must be even more annoyed than me about it.

Nutshell...nutjob (him not you) post. Someone needs to sit him down and haveca word...powerpont 'how not to destroy a legacy'. You gave a generation a voice, an understanding of how to deal with traumatic periods of life....now, and then, you were just worse than a false prophet...???

PeterH 28-01-2022 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16238501)

Steady Tiger. I agree 100% but there are 'overly' wokers that won't be having it...As in, they actually agree with you, but their fake online persona demands that they absurdly go out on a limb while waving a flag for 'friends' to join their campaign.

PeterH 28-01-2022 05:54 AM

Woo Hoo..Come On..Let's give SHITE football equal coverage...and criminalise people that speak out about it. Reality check....most female fans of traditional football aren't interested in the female game...they are there to watch men with decent thighs put on an excellent show...hopefully from the seats near the pitch...I suspect peeps prefer a human extinction as long as it doesn't offend anyone...Do what you want to do...who gives a feck...don't impose it on anyone else..FFS. Feck off.

PeterH 28-01-2022 06:01 AM

If I wanted to watch butch black lesbians spoon an open goal over the bar...I would get a season ticket at Palace and watch Benteke, Ayew, Schlupp and Matete do it for fun. Sky subscribe that rubbish.

PeterH 28-01-2022 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRM the 2nd (Post 16238978)
One of the nicest things of the first lockdown when all the fast food shops were closed was not having their rubbish everywhere

Yep.

west country boy 28-01-2022 09:45 AM

Someone had a sniff of the barmaid’s apron last night.

Blind_Eagle 28-01-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16239182)
Someone had a sniff of the barmaid’s apron last night.

I was drugged up to the eye balls on morphine last night and came on here this morning with a degree of trepidation as to what I might have posted.

I’m not sure why I was even worried after reading Pete’s expansive posting last night, nobody would have even noticed. :)

Maz 28-01-2022 03:19 PM

That explains your aggression last night! :D

Blind_Eagle 28-01-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16239663)

Me aggressive?

Blimey, apologies.

fang 28-01-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 16239633)
I was drugged up to the eye balls on morphine last night and came on here this morning with a degree of trepidation as to what I might have posted.

I’m not sure why I was even worried after reading Pete’s expansive posting last night, nobody would have even noticed. :)

The curse of County Lines.

PeterH 28-01-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16239663)

Self-medication on horse tranquilisers is never a good thing.

Direwolf 28-01-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 16238984)
It’s exponential. Every time a new drive thru appears the litter goes up. The councils don’t care they just want a few Bob in tax. Just coz it cost them more to pick up the shit in the long run doesn’t enter into the equation. Hate the bloody things

Half the time nowadays it's not them that do the litter picking but public-spirited locals. This of course means that the council has even more reason to ignore it.

weltklasse 28-01-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16239034)
Nutshell...nutjob (him not you) post. Someone needs to sit him down and haveca word...powerpont 'how not to destroy a legacy'. You gave a generation a voice, an understanding of how to deal with traumatic periods of life....now, and then, you were just worse than a false prophet...???

Way too late for that kind of intervention....

Olympian2 28-01-2022 07:00 PM

I know someone has already said this, but……

….the way the BBC orders its fixtures.

For tomorrow, they’ve ordered as follows :

Scottish Premiership
Championship
AFCON
League One
Women’s FA Cup
League Two

WTAF?

Prince Phillip 28-01-2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16239853)

Scottish Premiership
Championship
AFCON
League One
Women’s FA Cup
League Two

WTAF?

Needs the late Peter O'Sullevan to commentate as they change places.....
"Coming up on the outside is AFCON, with League Two currently trailing far behind......"

Olympian2 28-01-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 16239880)
"Coming up on the outside is AFCON, with League Two currently trailing far behind......"

:D :p

WLYWLYAWYPWF 28-01-2022 07:39 PM

Illegible rear number plates due to being covered in thick filth. Lazy wankstains.

Maz 28-01-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16239893)
Illegible rear number plates due to being covered in thick filth. Lazy wankstains.

Or deliberately dirty of course. Either way a £1,000 fine if stopped.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 28-01-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16239894)
Or deliberately dirty of course. Either way a £1,000 fine if stopped.

Deliberate or not I've seen countless over the past week and it infuriates me.

PALACEWU 28-01-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16239898)
Deliberate or not I've seen countless over the past week and it infuriates me.

It's outrageous, they never try it in the summer I've noticed.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 28-01-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 16239959)
It's outrageous, they never try it in the summer I've noticed.

Just clean your numberplate

PALACEWU 28-01-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 16239996)
Just clean your numberplate

I beg your pardon, I actually bleach mine, makes for much better visuals.

Worksop Palace 29-01-2022 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16239853)

Scottish Premiership
Championship
AFCON
League One
Women’s FA Cup
League Two

WTAF?

I don’t even think it’s done deliberately or with any reason.

It’s just the BBC Sport website is utter shit

PeterH 29-01-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 16239880)

Yesterday i was chatting about the ball rolling horse racing games at fairgrounds.

Hedgehog 31-01-2022 02:56 AM

Had a trip planned for last September with all the flights booked using Reward Miles. We cancelled the trip due to COVID concerns and got the miles used credited back, plus the taxes charged to our credit card for the flights - Good news.

Just looking at re-booking the trip for this coming May, and see the miles required for the trip have increased quite a bit - bad news.

Still have enough "miles" to cover the trip, but pretty much empties the bank, so no more free flights in the future it would seem if we go ahead with this trip in May.

Middle Class problem I appreciate, but nonetheless annoying.

PeterH 31-01-2022 06:25 AM

Never been in a position to accumulate miles or points or whatever crap the privileged or executive classes whine about. Gets my goat a bit when I have to budget and save for a UK trip every 7 years...and a student of mine gets to take his whole family to Europe on company accrued air miles...then complains to me that they have to eat at McDonalds. Seemingly can't save a decent wedge of spending money on a salary 5 times mine.

Hedgehog 31-01-2022 06:53 AM

Things that annoy you

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16244264)
Never been in a position to accumulate miles or points or whatever crap the privileged or executive classes whine about. Gets my goat a bit when I have to budget and save for a UK trip every 7 years...and a student of mine gets to take his whole family to Europe on company accrued air miles...then complains to me that they have to eat at McDonalds. Seemingly can't save a decent wedge of spending money on a salary 5 times mine.

Miles were earned flying for work, up at 3:00am to fly across county on red eyes in both directions in economy class and staying in bargain basement hotels, flying back to the UK a couple of times in economy class, and some some for using a specific credit card.

I'm OK with cashing in my rewards for a pleasure trip.

Aguila 31-01-2022 10:30 AM

Selhurst Park floodlights being kept on at night for over a week "to encourage grass growth". Never mind disturbing thousands of people.

Maidstoned Eagle 31-01-2022 10:44 AM

My wife hearing what she wants.to hear instead of what's being said to her...hence we are now sat at the depot with 20 crates of avocados arguing with the bloke who rang her to tell he he wasn't taking avos this week, she heard "we're not collecting this week" so just went ahead and loaded the cars.

N Herts Eagle 31-01-2022 10:51 AM

Whatsapp scammer who pretends to be eldest child and lost phone. Then asks whether i will pay three invoices until tomorrow. The guveaway it was a scam not the language my daughter would use. Did then play said scammer before then going for making them feel guilty for trying to scam pensioner. Reported and blocked. However the first couple of messages easy to see how people fall for scams.

easysqueezy 31-01-2022 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguila (Post 16244583)
Selhurst Park floodlights being kept on at night for over a week "to encourage grass growth". Never mind disturbing thousands of people.

They've been doing that at Wembley for the last couple of months - rather strange orange colour lighting up the sky - a bit like the old sodium street lights

PeterH 31-01-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16244446)
Miles were earned flying for work, up at 3:00am to fly across county on red eyes in both directions in economy class and staying in bargain basement hotels, flying back to the UK a couple of times in economy class, and some some for using a specific credit card.

I'm OK with cashing in my rewards for a pleasure trip.

For many years, in the UK at least, those miles had to be given back to the company to use, or i suspect were seen as a taxable benefit. I suspect you are exaggerating a little suggestig all the flights were red eye, and the cockroach infested status of the hotels you always stayed at. Middle class problems, indeed. :hi:

Johnnieboy 31-01-2022 01:45 PM

There are numerous "working class" ways these days to collect enough points for a family trip. Shopping at a tesco or sainsbury over the last few years, ordering online through 100s of retailers, or paying your rapidly increasing utility bills (for example).

pallet 31-01-2022 02:58 PM

Fly tippers, had about half a tonne of rubbish outside work today.

BringbackShipps 31-01-2022 02:59 PM

Frank Lampard

Reps AJ 31-01-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 16245443)
Fly tippers, had about half a tonne of rubbish outside work today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringbackShipps (Post 16245445)
Frank Lampard

Now wondering if pallet works at Goodison

Hedgehog 31-01-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16245151)
For many years, in the UK at least, those miles had to be given back to the company to use, or i suspect were seen as a taxable benefit. I suspect you are exaggerating a little suggestig all the flights were red eye, and the cockroach infested status of the hotels you always stayed at. Middle class problems, indeed. :hi:

Yes I was exaggerating... but I usually had red eyes!

In truth most of my miles earned in the last 4 years have been due to credit card use.

I've heard stories about companies wanting miles credited to them rather than the employee... always struck me as pretty petty to say the least. Thankfully my company didn't seem to care, or if they did, didn't have the smarts to figure out how to administer it.

Isle of Wight 31-01-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16245971)
Yes I was exaggerating... but I usually had red eyes!

In truth most of my miles earned in the last 4 years have been due to credit card use.

I've heard stories about companies wanting miles credited to them rather than the employee... always struck me as pretty petty to say the least. Thankfully my company didn't seem to care, or if they did, didn't have the smarts to figure out how to administer it.

I have managed to build up over 350,000 of the buggers but every time I went to use them either nothing available, NZ, or the tax was higher than I could buy a ticket for !!! I reckon I’m going to swap them for Sainsburys Nectar points and have 6 months free food.

Olympian2 31-01-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 16246132)
I have managed to build up over 350,000 of the buggers but every time I went to use them either nothing available, NZ, or the tax was higher than I could buy a ticket for !!! I reckon I’m going to swap them for Sainsburys Nectar points and have 6 months free food.

Yeah, I had a ton of Virgin Miles that I'd collected over a few years of US West Coast flights. They were difficult to spend with Virgin so I converted them to Hilton points & had free accommodation when I went to Cape Town for 10 days.

Isle of Wight 31-01-2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16246149)
Yeah, I had a ton of Virgin Miles that I'd collected over a few years of US West Coast flights. They were difficult to spend with Virgin so I converted them to Hilton points & had free accommodation when I went to Cape Town for 10 days.

Got 6 of those sitting there with hotels.com.. I’ve hired a car a couple of times though which was good.

strawberry mivi 01-02-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguila (Post 16244583)

Saw a news report a few years ago about the Rozzers passing over seized growing lamps to Nott County for doing this job.
Much closer to the grass and less light pollution.

Maidstoned Eagle 01-02-2022 01:27 PM

People moving close to a football ground, that has been there for almost 100 years, and then moaning about the football ground