CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

saxoneagle 16-01-2008 02:26 PM

And as for "Chelsea" of the NFL, I'm not entirely sure how you can compare a team from the NFL to ANY football team.

The only comparison is that both are good at playing the game in order to win. Last time I checked, it wasn't a crime to play to win ;)

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 03:57 PM

That's a fair point regarding Manning. :D

No NFL team is a Chelsea in the spending sense, thanks to the salary cap.

I'm not sure there's any other sport or form of measurement in the world where Green Bay, WI, could compete with New York, NY, but in the NFL, it happens.

nookiebear 16-01-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
I hate the Colts and the Pats!

I've only been into the NFL for two seasons so far, but already those two stand out as being the Chelsea / Man Utd of the NFL.

In terms of financial clout, stadium size, etc, the Redskins could be called the Man Utd of the NFL, but they're actually more like the Newcastle of the NFL - loads of cash but never win anything (anymore) :)

The Pats are lucky now, yes, but let's not forget, Benny Boy, that they used to be absolutely useless and they had an absolutely rotten kit as well :D

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 04:05 PM

I thought their mid 80s/early 90s kit was ok, but that's when I started watching the game so I guess I'm sentimental for that era. The mid 90s kit with the royal blue and 3D numbers (a pet hate of mine) was horrible though.

Benzhiyi 16-01-2008 04:07 PM

Fins press conference at midday (5pm our time) where Tony Sparano will be unveiled as head coach.

Make the most of the glory days, Pats fans, as we're winning the AFC East in two years time!

Seven wins next season. You just wait.

RDSdaEAGLE 16-01-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Fins press conference at midday (5pm our time) where Tony Soprano will be unveiled as head coach.

Make the most of the glory days, Pats fans, as we're winning the AFC East in two years time!

Seven wins next season. You just wait.

They're going to some extreme lengths to get a few more wins! ;)

nookiebear 16-01-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I thought their mid 80s/early 90s kit was ok, but that's when I started watching the game so I guess I'm sentimental for that era. The mid 90s kit with the royal blue and 3D numbers (a pet hate of mine) was horrible though.
Kits I miss from that era

Tampa's orange kit

Houston Oilers home kit

Atlanta's black kit (bring back Jerry Glanville :D )

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 04:37 PM

Remember when all the teams who are now in the AFC East played at home in white?

Best road kits that no-one remembers: Los Angeles Rams & Houston Oilers

Interesting that the Oilers left their city in pretty similar circumstances to the Browns and yet the Oilers took their history and name (before abandoning it) whereas the Browns had to surrender theirs'.

Latvian Eagle 16-01-2008 04:40 PM

What road kit did the Rams have in the LA days then!? I'd assumed the Navy and Yellow of the everyday!?

Well the Titans aren't an expansion team are they!? The Oilers moved to Tennesse and then changed name afterwards! The NFL for some reason wouldn't let Baltimore take on the Browns history etc and so made the Ravens as an Expansion team.

nookiebear 16-01-2008 04:41 PM

I can't stand the Houston Texans, they're the MK Dons to me - why couldnt they take the Oilers history when the titans abandoned it?

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
What road kit did the Rams have in the LA days then!? I'd assumed the Navy and Yellow of the everyday!?
Mainly white, but the blue ram horn on the shoulder looped onto the sleeve which was yellow. The player's number was basically circled by a horn.
Quote:

Well the Titans aren't an expansion team are they!? The Oilers moved to Tennesse and then changed name afterwards! The NFL for some reason wouldn't let Baltimore take on the Browns history etc and so made the Ravens as an Expansion team.
Both the Browns and Oilers had pretty significant history and they should have remained in place, but for greedy ownership. That's where American's aren't sentimental about sports, a team will just move for a better deal.

The sad thing is that if the cities of Houston and Cleveland had just built the stadiums in the first place the teams would never have moved (although I think Nashville has become a very good NFL city and Baltimore should have had a team sooner after the Colts left).

Oh, and I don't support giving LA a team. LA fans are fickle. You really think they'd come out to support an expansion team?

The league works best at 32 teams. The divisions are right, the schedule is right. No more tinkering/expanding, at least for the time being.

nookiebear 16-01-2008 04:51 PM

Also like the old Redskins kit - yellow trousers and the red top

nookiebear 16-01-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

The league works best at 32 teams. The divisions are right, the schedule is right. No more tinkering/expanding, at least for the time being.

But aren't the NFL thinking about a Canadian team? And a Mexican one?

elliott 17-01-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
Kits I miss from that era

Tampa's orange kit

Houston Oilers home kit

Atlanta's black kit (bring back Jerry Glanville :D )

Ha. I like all of those! Plus the royals of the Pats (minus the dodgy 3d drop shadow on the numbers!).

Bring back Patriot Pat and the dodgy pirate bloke from the tampa helmets!

elliott 17-01-2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Mainly white, but the blue ram horn on the shoulder looped onto the sleeve which was yellow. The player's number was basically circled by a horn.


Best throwback kit in the NFL IMO.

Best current jersey in the NFL? Cards road whites. Very very tidy.

Benzhiyi 17-01-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
But aren't the NFL thinking about a Canadian team? And a Mexican one?
I'd wager you'll see the Buffalo Bills move to Toronto inside the next decade.

Don't know about Mexico, but they're desperate to get a team to LA because it's the second largest TV market. If the Saints hadn't been able to successfully return to New Orleans they'd be playing in LA by now. And similarly, if the Chargers hadn't been able to cement plans for a new stadium, they'd have relocated to LA over the next year or two.

By 2012 there will almost certainly be a team playing in Los Angeles, but whether or not it's an expansion franchise depends on whether any teams in the west or mid-south decide to up sticks over the next few years.

saxoneagle 17-01-2008 09:43 AM

We don't need two teams in NY - move the Jets to LA ;)

nookiebear 17-01-2008 10:18 AM

Hmmm, interesting names mentioned in the race for the Skins job

Not sure about Mora - I'd rather his dad :)

From NFL.Com...

What is known is that former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora interviewed for the job on Wednesday, and that Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks is scheduled to speak with Snyder on Thursday.

Another Indianapolis assistant, Jim Caldwell, is on Snyder's list, but Caldwell might keep the Redskins on hold until Colts head coach Tony Dungy decides whether to return for another season. Caldwell would be a leading candidate to succeed Dungy if Dungy retires.

Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and at least one other candidate -- whose name has not been released -- met with Snyder last week. There could other names to surface over the next few days, possibly pushing the process into next week. All of the formal interviews have taken place at Snyder's house, well away from the reporters who have staked out Redskins Park.

Then there's Gregg Williams, who has the title of Redskins "assistant head coach -- defense" and carries home-interview advantage. Players and other assistants have voiced support for Williams, the former Buffalo Bills head coach whose defenses have ranked in the top 10 in three of his four seasons in Washington.

Latvian Eagle 17-01-2008 11:15 AM

I think the next two big places for expansion are LA and Canada.

But there was talk of more as well I think. I can't think of any other big places where they'd like to put a team at the current time. Indeed if they're that desperate for an LA team why not approach a team like the Jets (ok Saxon was very tongue in cheek) and relocate the franchise!?

I agree though 8 divisions of 4 teams works fine. There's no need to expand at the current time.

saxoneagle 17-01-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
I think the next two big places for expansion are LA and Canada.

But there was talk of more as well I think. I can't think of any other big places where they'd like to put a team at the current time. Indeed if they're that desperate for an LA team why not approach a team like the Jets (ok Saxon was very tongue in cheek) and relocate the franchise!?

I agree though 8 divisions of 4 teams works fine. There's no need to expand at the current time.

As a Pats fan, it was VERY tongue in cheek :D

There are other franchises which I think would be more suitable to LA, including their previous team, the Rams.

I think the idea of the Bills moving over the border to Toronto isn't a bad shout. I think it's an awful idea but it's something which high on the NFL agenda and would also mean that many Bills fans "could" continue to support their team.

However, Toronto matches would have to be in a dome. If you think Green Bay is cold in January, you ain't seen nothing yet!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.