CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Funk Butter 03-03-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
Will Flacco join the ranks of legends who cement their HOF status following a big pay day, leading their team through a golden era almost single handedly.....or join the ranks of those who made the most of securing a bloated contract at precisely the right time, getting overpaid and crippling their team's prospects in the process?

Personally I think he didn't get the recognition he deserved for some time, but the pendulum seems to have swung too far the other way now. I can't see him commanding the kind of respect that say a Manning or a Brady does, and attracting big names perhaps willing to take a bit of a paycut in the hope of getting a ring opposed to getting a big payout at no hopers like the Jets.

He's better than Ryan Fitzpatrick but not as good as Joe Montana. That narrows it down a bit.

davematt 03-03-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Will Flacco join the ranks of legends who cement their HOF status following a big pay day, leading their team through a golden era almost single handedly.....or join the ranks of those who made the most of securing a bloated contract at precisely the right time, getting overpaid and crippling their team's prospects in the process?

Personally I think he didn't get the recognition he deserved for some time, but the pendulum seems to have swung too far the other way now. I can't see him commanding the kind of respect that say a Manning or a Brady does, and attracting big names perhaps willing to take a bit of a paycut in the hope of getting a ring opposed to getting a big payout at no hopers like the Jets.

I agree with this; for me, Flacco is another Eli. Not amongst the elite of the elite, but just has that something special about him and can produce when it really matters.

Still would take Brady, Peyton, Bree's or Rogders ahead of him.

Steamy 03-03-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

I think it's a case of being blinded by this post-season and the ring on his finger. The contract is crazy money. His QB rating sits at a nicely average mid-80s after 4 seasons. This post-season was something silly like 120. I'd wager he's back to mid-80s for the next few years and the Ravens will win nothing. Then again, statistically, Flacco is a better QB at this stage in his career than Eli and he's got two rings, so I'll probably be proved wrong. I just don't see the Ravens as a team kicking on in the way that others have after success.

Steamy 03-03-2013 11:40 PM

Out of interest, has anyone seen this story about the woman trying out in the combine? Don't think she'll get a contract, but it's encouraging she's going for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/21606400

Steamy 03-03-2013 11:42 PM

Spoke too soon. She got injured during try outs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/21606400

Funk Butter 04-03-2013 12:19 AM

I wonder what Flacco's contract would have been if Rahim Moore hadn't fallen asleep.

Steamy 04-03-2013 12:27 AM

A darn sight less. Maybe Flacco could say thank you by lending him a few dollars from the new contract.

pauldrulez 04-03-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
I wonder what Flacco's contract would have been if Rahim Moore hadn't fallen asleep.

^

Some of the play by safeties is truly abysmal in the NFL these days

ardeo 04-03-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
^

Some of the play by safeties is truly abysmal in the NFL these days

They all want to be Troy Polamalu, who is a bit of a liability despite his talent.

SteveyHawking 04-03-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
They all want to be Troy Polamalu, who is a bit of a liability despite his talent.

The Eagles safties don't want to be Polamalu as they're scared to tackle! :D

Benzhiyi 04-03-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Nice move by the Chiefs. What ever happened to the QB from the Brady school of QBs Matt Cassell? Without a trace ...

It does depend which Alex Smith turns up though. If its the one that got the Niners through the first half of last season (was it that many?) then they can build a team around him perhaps ...

Cassel was always a joke QB, protected by the NE system and the outstanding brain of Belichick.

(Who knew this full well, hence absolutely milking the Chiefs for all they were worth in the trade deal.)

Latvian Eagle 04-03-2013 04:37 PM

Cassel was crap even for the Patriots!

So many very average QBs!

I remember the draft where any one of Cutler, Leinart or Young pretty much could have been number 1 pick... Where are VY and ML now? Also whatever happened to JaMarcus Russell?

Funk Butter 04-03-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle

I remember the draft where any one of Cutler, Leinart or Young pretty much could have been number 1 pick... Where are VY and ML now? Also whatever happened to JaMarcus Russell?

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...8/jamarcus.jpg

AddiscombeEagle 04-03-2013 05:06 PM

We all agree that Brady is a better QB than Flacco. However at the present time in the games that matter who out plays who?

Ravens and Pats have met twice in play offs last two years winning one a piece. Both times however Flacco outplayed Brady.

Funk Butter 04-03-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle
We all agree that Brady is a better QB than Flacco. However at the present time in the games that matter who out plays who?

Ravens and Pats have met twice in play offs last two years winning one a piece. Both times however Flacco outplayed Brady.

But they weren't playing head-to-head against each other. Other factors are involved. Like defense.

AddiscombeEagle 04-03-2013 06:36 PM

I understand that but the point I was making badly is that Flacco's great strength is in winning games when it matters. I accept Brady has done it in the past hence why he will go down as one of the greats.

However in my opinion at the moment he has turned into a bit of a flat track bully and I am not sure at present I would choose him over Flacco in a championship game.

Only my opinion and I am probably wrong but the point I am trying to make is Flacco has been paid because he wins games rather than for his numbers.

jazman 04-03-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle

I would argue, as Ben already said, he was a fit for the Pats and do a decent job when Brady got injured. You have to admit, a QB like Brady, there just is no back up ...

Vince Hilaire's Afro 05-03-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter

I thought Roger Goodell was also usually in the picture when the No.1 pick poses in his new shirt on draft day?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 05-03-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle
I understand that but the point I was making badly is that Flacco's great strength is in winning games when it matters. I accept Brady has done it in the past hence why he will go down as one of the greats.

However in my opinion at the moment he has turned into a bit of a flat track bully and I am not sure at present I would choose him over Flacco in a championship game.

Only my opinion and I am probably wrong but the point I am trying to make is Flacco has been paid because he wins games rather than for his numbers.

Didn't Flacco have a lot of trouble breaking his playoff duck? Brady's luck with the Patriots in the playoffs seemed to have started running out when, as FB alluded to, the Pats' defense got a little raggedy compared to days gone by.

That said, Flacco hasn't a always had the best targets to throw to.

pauldrulez 05-03-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Didn't Flacco have a lot of trouble breaking his playoff duck? Brady's luck with the Patriots in the playoffs seemed to have started running out when, as FB alluded to, the Pats' defense got a little raggedy compared to days gone by.

That said, Flacco hasn't a always had the best targets to throw to.

Yep. The playoff luck ran out (by coincidence) when Bill Polian had the rules changed to benefit the Colts and QB's, because the Pats DB's were physical and the Rams and Colts didn't like it. But, if you compare what they did to what the likes of Revis, Sherman, Browner etc do now, it's physical play, and you get away with it because they are very good.