CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Gazza2 18-02-2021 11:26 PM

Michael Vaughan talking shit about England cricket team rotation policy. You've made your point you boring git. Now find something else to talk about. The idiot seems to ignore effect of having to live in a covid bubble in order to play. Sooner he's involved in some sort of controversy that results in him losing his BBC contract the better.

Purepalace 19-02-2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus mickus (Post 15656567)
Shooting is good fun. Explosion of feathers is very entertaining. Same goes with rooks, jays, jackdaw and crow.

:supergrin: If only! Sadly our gun laws are mega tight.. don't know why? :bash:
There is, of course, always (allegedly) alternative sources

chateauferret 19-02-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza2 (Post 15657630)
Michael Vaughan talking shit about England cricket team rotation policy. You've made your point you boring git. Now find something else to talk about. The idiot seems to ignore effect of having to live in a covid bubble in order to play. Sooner he's involved in some sort of controversy that results in him losing his BBC contract the better.

I can remember the time when merely being totally toilet used to be sufficient.

Sharkba1t 19-02-2021 05:19 PM

This should be on the "Stupid things that people say" thread, but the other day there was yet another fking programme about Cornwall on TV and the Mrs said "i've loved going to Cornwall on holiday as a child, the beaches were lovely and it was always downhill to the beach".

cappuccinoeagle 19-02-2021 06:45 PM

Tom Rosenthal - he’s been on House Of Games this week and he’s quite irritating

BlazeRIP 19-02-2021 08:09 PM

Complete ****head neighbours that continue to have people round through the whole of lockdown

palacemetros 19-02-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15658287)
This should be on the "Stupid things that people say" thread, but the other day there was yet another fking programme about Cornwall on TV and the Mrs said "i've loved going to Cornwall on holiday as a child, the beaches were lovely and it was always downhill to the beach".

:D:D

You gotta luv 'em!

PeterH 19-02-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazeRIP (Post 15658438)
Complete ****head neighbours that continue to have people round through the whole of lockdown

:supergrin::supergrin:

You gotta luv 'em!

PeterH 19-02-2021 09:21 PM

We heard from the neighbours that the dog had a relapse and passed away yesterday.

One less I suppose. I guess in 'survival of the fittest' it wasn't getting its own share of the food. Could be a number of factors.

Stavros 69 20-02-2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15657617)
Ah, you work on Babestation :p

Nice to finally meet you.

Maidstoned Eagle 20-02-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15658287)
This should be on the "Stupid things that people say" thread, but the other day there was yet another fking programme about Cornwall on TV and the Mrs said "i've loved going to Cornwall on holiday as a child, the beaches were lovely and it was always downhill to the beach".

There is a thread for the fairer sex and their pearls of wisdom.

pallet 20-02-2021 07:15 PM

Liverpool football shirts look like they jave put them on backwards

Dobbo 20-02-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15660104)
Liverpool football shirts look like they jave put them on backwards

Does that account for the fact they don't know if they're coming or going?

EmmerGreenEagle 20-02-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15660104)
Liverpool football shirts look like they jave put them on backwards

Iím sure they will blame somebody else for that.

Hedgehog 20-02-2021 10:46 PM

When you send an email to someone you don't know and sign it "Robert" at the end.

Five minutes later they reply to you by opening with "Bob".

I'm not fussed what you call me really, and this is not unusual, but seems a bit of a liberty making the assumption I go by Bob to everyone. I've know some Robert's that get really pissed off if you call them Bob.

Baffled Bob 2 20-02-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15660491)
When you send an email to someone you don't know and sign it "Robert" at the end.

Five minutes later they reply to you by opening with "Bob".

I'm not fussed what you call me really, and this is not unusual, but seems a bit of a liberty making the assumption I go by Bob to everyone. I've know some Robert's that get really pissed off if you call them Bob.

Yeah. Wankers.

cappuccinoeagle 21-02-2021 01:13 AM

Mike Read - comes across as unpleasant and smug

RazorsEdge 21-02-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15660491)
When you send an email to someone you don't know and sign it "Robert" at the end.

Five minutes later they reply to you by opening with "Bob".

I'm not fussed what you call me really, and this is not unusual, but seems a bit of a liberty making the assumption I go by Bob to everyone. I've know some Robert's that get really pissed off if you call them Bob.

What do go by Bobby?

:)

Hedgehog 21-02-2021 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15660646)
What do go by Bobby?

:)

George actually... :rolleyes:

ozzieEagle 21-02-2021 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15660648)
George actually... :rolleyes:

Surely not George? Shirley?

Maidstoned Eagle 21-02-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 15660564)
Mike Read - comes across as unpleasant and smug

He is a complete wanker, had a run in with him when I was working for a radio station over here.

RazorsEdge 21-02-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15660648)
George actually... :rolleyes:

Bob(y) George?

Haha

Sorry will stop :)

Isle of Wight 21-02-2021 02:05 PM

That for a while we were above the Wankers, West Ham and Arsenal and now look at us. Fully expect to be beaten by Brighton, all positivity seems to have been drained out of me and I'm annoyed about that as well!

Blind_Eagle 21-02-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15658287)
This should be on the "Stupid things that people say" thread, but the other day there was yet another fking programme about Cornwall on TV and the Mrs said "i've loved going to Cornwall on holiday as a child, the beaches were lovely and it was always downhill to the beach".

Back when we lived in Sussex, we used to host local school visits for them to learn about the countryside and its ways.

On the feedback forms from the teachers, the commonest question was why are field gates invariably placed in the muddiest corner of a field. :D

WLYWLYAWYPWF 21-02-2021 11:01 PM

Cheap looking power cables on 180 quid DAB radios.

PeterH 22-02-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15661112)
That for a while we were above the Wankers, West Ham and Arsenal and now look at us. Fully expect to be beaten by Brighton, all positivity seems to have been drained out of me and I'm annoyed about that as well!

Not something worth getting annnoyed about...we keep doing it...no point having any expectations above 15th..

Seems Roy, SP etc...don't....so why get annoyed by it anymore.

PeterH 22-02-2021 12:15 PM

We would win our first 15 games...and then drop out the top 4...

Paulinmorden 22-02-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 15660564)
Mike Read - comes across as unpleasant and smug

The DJ who got Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax banned which then helped make it no. 1 and one of the biggest sellers of all time. Idiot.

Maz 22-02-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15661635)
Back when we lived in Sussex, we used to host local school visits for them to learn about the countryside and its ways.

On the feedback forms from the teachers, the commonest question was why are field gates invariably placed in the muddiest corner of a field. :D

Good point! :D

Hedgehog 22-02-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15660491)
When you send an email to someone you don't know and sign it "Robert" at the end.

Five minutes later they reply to you by opening with "Bob".

I'm not fussed what you call me really, and this is not unusual, but seems a bit of a liberty making the assumption I go by Bob to everyone. I've know some Robert's that get really pissed off if you call them Bob.

Interesting, I just got a response from a website I contacted for information stating my name was Robert.

This time they wrote back calling me Rob!

That's a new one. It's not annoying per se, just find it odd. I assume it is an over abundance of trying to appear friendly.

weltklasse 22-02-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15661635)
Back when we lived in Sussex, we used to host local school visits for them to learn about the countryside and its ways.

On the feedback forms from the teachers, the commonest question was why are field gates invariably placed in the muddiest corner of a field. :D

:lux:

Maz 22-02-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15663513)
Interesting, I just got a response from a website I contacted for information stating my name was Robert.

This time they wrote back calling me Rob!

That's a new one. It's not annoying per se, just find it odd. I assume it is an over abundance of trying to appear friendly.

That would be a good way to lose my business.

GorBlimey 22-02-2021 06:07 PM

I presume this has been posted before so I guess this is going to annoy someone but I no longer give a shit.

Over 50s life cover.

A f*cking deluge of adverts - it's relentless.

F*ck off and die because I will without over 50s life cover.

C*nts

Hedgehog 22-02-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 15663524)
I presume this has been posted before so I guess this is going to annoy someone but I no longer give a shit.

Over 50s life cover.

A f*cking deluge of adverts - it's relentless.

F*ck off and die because I will without over 50s life cover.

C*nts

Wait until you're 65+ and on Medicare. (Are you still in the States?)

Every year between September and January you get inundated with literature, emails and phone calls for supplemental medical insurance.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-02-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15661635)
On the feedback forms from the teachers, the commonest question was why are field gates invariably placed in the muddiest corner of a field. :D

And why is that?

Blind_Eagle 22-02-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15663618)
And why is that?

Because all farmers are bastards?

[without your teacher’s mortar board getting in the way of your brain, I’m sure you know exactly why:)]

Prince Phillip 22-02-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15663707)
Because all farmers are bastards?

A lot of them just try to stile it out.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-02-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15663707)
Because all farmers are bastards?

[without your teacherís mortar board getting in the way of your brain, Iím sure you know exactly why:)]

Why farmers are bastards?

Maidstoned Eagle 22-02-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 15663715)
A lot of them just try to stile it out.

What a post.

GorBlimey 22-02-2021 07:41 PM

The c*nts asking questions on the Covid Update - f*ck off trying to make yourselves look clever.

Wolfnipplechips 22-02-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 15663780)
The c*nts asking questions on the Covid Update - f*ck off trying to make yourselves look clever.

Why donít you ask some?

CT_Palace 22-02-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15663807)
Why donít you ask some?

:supergrin:

Blind_Eagle 22-02-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15663728)
Why farmers are bastards?

Google translate?

WLYWLYAWYPWF 23-02-2021 10:34 PM

Shrinkflation. No longer even subtle.

Isle of Wight 23-02-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 15667143)
Shrinkflation. No longer even subtle.

Itís gone mad, I bought some Cadburyís chocolate bars in a 4 pack that I swear would fit into one of those 1 penny vending machines you always wanted to get for Christmas from Woolies ( I know there will be some of you thinking wtf is he talking about but others of a certain age will be nodding sagely)

Stellavista 23-02-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15667154)
Itís gone mad, I bought some Cadburyís chocolate bars in a 4 pack that I swear would fit into one of those 1 penny vending machines you always wanted to get for Christmas from Woolies ( I know there will be some of you thinking wtf is he talking about but others of a certain age will be nodding sagely)

Multipack bags of Wotsits. A disgrace.

pallet 24-02-2021 12:09 AM

Cadburys mini eggs lucky if the bag is half full

PeterH 24-02-2021 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15667154)
Itís gone mad, I bought some Cadburyís chocolate bars in a 4 pack that I swear would fit into one of those 1 penny vending machines you always wanted to get for Christmas from Woolies ( I know there will be some of you thinking wtf is he talking about but others of a certain age will be nodding sagely)

I got one of those off my Dad for Christmas. He bought my cousins Escape from Colditz.

Maz 24-02-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15663807)
Why donít you ask some?

:D

Wonderful

Sharkba1t 24-02-2021 08:02 AM

Equity release. It’s still borrowing whatever you call it, but just secured. But it’s a con, given all the charges and fees. I’m surprised the FCA haven’t come down on it already.
Also, people slate investment bankers, but it’s really retail banking that rips off the public. Retail banks are making billions on the interest rate they charge on mortgages whilst borrowing the cash for next to nothing.

Hedgehog 24-02-2021 06:09 PM

Well apparently Elementary schools are open again here. I went to the market today as I do every Wednesday at about 8:00am.

There was an abundance of young mothers there today with very young children (2 to 5) in tow. In the year I've been doing the shopping there has been mainly old folk like me, and mostly men. I assume these mothers have dropped their older kids off at school and think they may as well get the shopping done now their out.

The annoying bit is these young mothers need to involve there little urchins in the shopping process while oblivious to other shoppers. "So Johnny, this is an avocado, we need 4, can you pick me out 4? 1, 2, 3, 4 very good. Now lets weigh them [why I don't know]. What number is that... yes one... well done, now lets get a bag, can you pull one off for me" etc., etc...

Another has her cart strewn across the aisle while she reads every ******* label on all the yogurts, again oblivious to the needs of others, while little Charlotte sits in the cart spreading her germs everywhere.

You can tell I don't have kids right?

big bad John 24-02-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668160)

can you pull one off for me" etc., etc...

:eek::eek::eek: Christ, I know Californian women are very liberated and open minded but saying that to your young son. Hope you called social services Hedgehog.

Worksop Palace 24-02-2021 07:09 PM

I don’t know if this annoys me or not but couldn’t think of anywhere else to post it.

The Numan advert for erectile distinction, where it throws out about 40 names for your Johnson (which is one of them, perhaps quite apt).

Now I’m all for adverts highlighting such things, but at 6.30?

Literally just as we were all sitting down to sausage and mash........

Come on.

Vendy 24-02-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 15668221)
I donít know if this annoys me or not but couldnít think of anywhere else to post it.

The Numan advert for erectile distinction, where it throws out about 40 names for your Johnson (which is one of them, perhaps quite apt).

Now Iím all for adverts highlighting such things, but at 6.30?

Literally just as we were all sitting down to sausage and mash........

Come on.

Is that when you get an A+ for a hard on?

Oldtown Eagle 24-02-2021 07:37 PM

My Apple ID. I am of a certain age I accept. I take careful note, but next time I log in its bloody wrong.
Oh and my iPad it appears is too old for Netflix or Twitter. There are no updates available and cannot download latest browsers. Wife the same. More bloody expense if we want to keep up. Did I mention that Waitrose have no Rose Harissa.

Hedgehog 24-02-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15668244)
... Oh and my iPad it appears is too old for Netflix or Twitter. There are no updates available and cannot download latest browsers. Wife the same. More bloody expense if we want to keep up...

Along similar lines, I talk to my cousin in England using FaceTime on our iPads quite a lot.

It used to work fine, then suddenly it started cutting us off (or losing connection) about every 10 minutes or so.

My iPad is pretty old now and cannot be updated to latest iOS revision. My wife has a pretty new iPad so we called my cousin using hers. Everything went great with no disconnects.

I did some Googling and found out it is a problem when an old iPad is used to connect to a new iPad (my cousin's iPad is also new and the problem started when she got it). But new to new is fine, and old to old is fine, just not old to new or new to old.

To compound the issue there is no WhatsApp available for iPads, which was my Plan B.

I know there are other options, but annoying none the less.

PALACEWU 24-02-2021 08:09 PM

Tried Skype or Telegram?

Hedgehog 24-02-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15668264)
Tried Skype or Telegram?

Thanks. I'm sure they would work fine. Just trying to get my cousin to use them might be a problem.

Anyway there is not an issue if we use my wife's new iPad.

The annoyance is more that my old iPad is basically being put out to grass by Apple not supporting it, which I think is Oldtown Eagle's complaint also.

cappuccinoeagle 24-02-2021 09:59 PM

Kevin Pietersen & especially Mark Nicholas on the Test Match coverage on TalkSport.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 24-02-2021 10:35 PM

Had to put up with Mark Nicholas for years over here, thankfully Ch9 lost the rights and so ta ta Mark.

Wolfnipplechips 24-02-2021 11:04 PM

The fact that adverts are so well targeted these days.

They seem to be able to pinpoint their target audience with distinction.

chateauferret 25-02-2021 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668432)
The fact that adverts are so well targeted these days.

They seem to be able to pinpoint their target audience with distinction.

Hmmm.

If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

The other thing is that if I buy something that turns out to be shite, and even if I review it somewhere and say that it is shite, I still get targeted with adverts for more of the same stuff. Look, if your product's garbage, I'm not going to buy it again, am I? Actually this still happens even if I return the product and get my money back. I mean FFS.

It's like this.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/838f9...80001dd8b71c47

chateauferret 25-02-2021 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668262)
Along similar lines, I talk to my cousin in England using FaceTime on our iPads quite a lot.

It used to work fine, then suddenly it started cutting us off (or losing connection) about every 10 minutes or so.

My iPad is pretty old now and cannot be updated to latest iOS revision.

A fine example of how Apple's business model works, which is basically to trap you in a world of proprietary standards so that you can only ever use Apple stuff and then they stick a nozzle into your bank account and switch on the vacuum pump.

Google / Chrome is more open that that but their game is to make you put your personal information in the cloud where they can grab it and sell it. Linux still isn't ready for mobile devices and touch screens, unfortunately, and Windoze is simply a pile of bloated excrement with outrageous hardware demands that make it run like a pig on anything small. Android is the lesser of the various evils on these gadgets IMHO.

Hedgehog 25-02-2021 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668487)
Hmmm.



If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

When I bought my new car in 2018 (Ford) I almost immediately started getting adverts/offers from Ford to buy a new vehicle. To this day I still get them, but now they seem obsessed with me trading it in for a new one (which makes more sense I guess).

Laughable really.

Panther 25-02-2021 08:04 AM

When I look round outside the house not a single deciduous tree has a leaf on it, yet every day a new number of dead leaves turns up in the drains and gutters.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668488)
A fine example of how Apple's business model works, which is basically to trap you in a world of proprietary standards so that you can only ever use Apple stuff and then they stick a nozzle into your bank account and switch on the vacuum pump.

Google / Chrome is more open that that but their game is to make you put your personal information in the cloud where they can grab it and sell it. Linux still isn't ready for mobile devices and touch screens, unfortunately, and Windoze is simply a pile of bloated excrement with outrageous hardware demands that make it run like a pig on anything small. Android is the lesser of the various evils on these gadgets IMHO.

Man who uses to Google to impress, not impressed with Google selling him things.

chateauferret 25-02-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668494)
When I bought my new car in 2018 (Ford) I almost immediately started getting adverts/offers from Ford to buy a new vehicle. To this day I still get them, but now they seem obsessed with me trading it in for a new one (which makes more sense I guess).

Laughable really.

Oh and in a large organisation about one in a million employees takes decisions about whom to get things like recruitment, training, advertising and software from; and that person invariably sets up framework contracts so that they can be procured at predictable rates and service levels over a period of time, and what's more they select the suppliers using tendering processes. Any idiot knows this.

Yet every day I and all my colleagues are bombarded with E-mail advertising all these things and more by tinpot organisations who wouldn't even prequalify and carefully designed to dodge our spam filters.

Maz 25-02-2021 08:46 AM

Possibly because the vast number of companies in this country are not large organisations.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15668773)
Possibly because the vast number of companies in this country are not large organisations.

Google got it wrong? :sob:

Paulinmorden 25-02-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668487)
Hmmm.

If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

The other thing is that if I buy something that turns out to be shite, and even if I review it somewhere and say that it is shite, I still get targeted with adverts for more of the same stuff. Look, if your product's garbage, I'm not going to buy it again, am I? Actually this still happens even if I return the product and get my money back. I mean FFS.

It's like this.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/838f9...80001dd8b71c47

Same as at home. We have got uPVC double glazing. Ok it's a few years old but a look at the house shows it's in decent nick but we still get salesmen knocking asking if we want new.

Blind_Eagle 25-02-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668262)

To compound the issue there is no WhatsApp available for iPads, which was my Plan B.

I know there are other options, but annoying none the less.

Just log into WhatsApp from Safari.

Wolfnipplechips 25-02-2021 10:17 AM

I was taking the piss out of Workdonkey.

Too subtle obviously.;)

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668867)
I was taking the piss out of Workdonkey.

Too subtle obviously.;)

You spread the net too far and started a google storm. You and your "agendas".

brighton_eagle 25-02-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668487)
Hmmm.

If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

The other thing is that if I buy something that turns out to be shite, and even if I review it somewhere and say that it is shite, I still get targeted with adverts for more of the same stuff. Look, if your product's garbage, I'm not going to buy it again, am I? Actually this still happens even if I return the product and get my money back. I mean FFS.

It's like this.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/838f9...80001dd8b71c47

I've just spent a significant amount on money on a new office chair. I use it all day every day and the last one I bought lasted me 15 years, so I reckon it's something I'm happy to spend a lot on to get something decent.

Now all I see is ads for expensive office chairs.

Maz 25-02-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15668944)
You spread the net too far and started a google storm. You and your "agendas".

Unless I am being whooshed, I should note that 'agenda' is already a plural and can't therefore be further pluralised.


WCB will be proud of me.

Panther 25-02-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15669018)
I've just spent a significant amount on money on a new office chair. I use it all day every day and the last one I bought lasted me 15 years, so I reckon it's something I'm happy to spend a lot on to get something decent.

Now all I see is ads for expensive office chairs.

We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few years later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

brighton_eagle 25-02-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 15669068)
We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few years later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

Specifically not gone for leather for that reason. Plus I'll be shutting the office door when I'm not at work. :)

Worksop Palace 25-02-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668432)
The fact that adverts are so well targeted these days.

They seem to be able to pinpoint their target audience with distinction.

Very good :D

chateauferret 25-02-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 15669068)
We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few hours later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

EFA.

Blind_Eagle 25-02-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15669077)
Specifically not gone for leather for that reason. Plus I'll be shutting the office door when I'm not at work. :)

Iíd get the leather chair and get rid of the cat.

Win win.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15669021)
Unless I am being whooshed, I should note that 'agenda' is already a plural and can't therefore be further pluralised.


WCB will be proud of me.

If one has an agenda and one has more than one then it is several agendas.

Maz 25-02-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15669291)
If one has an agenda and one has more than one then it is several agendas.

Only if one's grasp of the beauty of our language has been bastardised by watching too much American telly.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15669300)
Only if one's grasp of the beauty of our language has been bastardised by watching too much American telly.

My boss, who has a teaching degree in the English language and is no more American than you or I agreed with me.

Anyway I'm sure someone will google it and prove one of us wrong.

Maz 25-02-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15669382)
My boss, who has a teaching degree in the English language and is no more American than you or I agreed with me..

You wouldn't have tried that defence with Alf...


Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15669382)
Anyway I'm sure someone will google it and prove one of us wrong.

Yes ; it will be one of their agenda.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15669394)
Yes ; it will be one of their agenda.

Agendi

little al 25-02-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15669176)
Iíd get the leather chair and get rid of the cat.

Win win.

Cat sack brick river, then order the chair.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 04:19 PM

Or keep the cat outside where it belongs.

brighton_eagle 25-02-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15669176)
Iíd get the leather chair and get rid of the cat.

Win win.

4 cats and a dog. I prefer them (usually) to my children. :D

Hedgehog 25-02-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15668866)
Just log into WhatsApp from Safari.

I'll check it out again, but I didn't think you could do video links using the WhatsApp website.

Latvian 25-02-2021 04:49 PM

Kier Starmer - Labour Party Leader.

Worksop Palace 25-02-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian (Post 15669552)
Kier Starmer - Labour Party Leader.

CR and Latvian sitting in a tree.....

PeterH 25-02-2021 06:08 PM

The bank dragging its feet, and then surprising me with a sting in the tail bit of extra thievery in paying off my mortgage as part of a property sale.

Basically, they have notified me of some additional charges that I must cover to proceed that just about knocks on the head the trip back to the UK that I had budgeted for.

A nice debate on the phone yesterday,and a trip to Santiago today to chat in person.

I particularly enjoyed the chap telling me that banks weren't in the business of giving money away.

I asked him if there was a school where they taught upcoming thieves in suits. I also said that I felt like I was a victim of an assault and was being treated by a copper who then proceeded to steal my phone.

Them just making sure they squeeze out their final pint of blood, I suppose.

I wonder whether it is just a Chilean thing or is universal. I did point out that banking staff seem to be living on a completely different plane of existence to the rest of people. I said that I knew that it was his job to defend his bank's policies to clients, but whereas while most regular people would see their charges and costs as excessive or abusive, they feel, supported by the law, that all is normal. I asked him, that considering we are in a pandemic and that I am officially drawing unemployment benefit, if he thought that surprising someone with a previously unnotified request for almost 2 grand to proceed, is something that most regular clients can easily take with a pinch of salt. I got a blank stare on that one.

The word I am looking for is - intransigent.

I even tried the old lawyers or superintendant of banks line, but he said it was my choice, but I would just accrue more charges over time and have lawyers fees on top.
I sometimes feel that people are laughing at me as they dip their hands into my pocket.

I will probably get about a grand of that back. I seemingly have to pay a guarantee of the next three mortgage dividends should the sale be overly delayed. Notwithstanding that the paers were signed in the notaria and the bank dragged their feet for a month.

The portion that pays off the bank is including in the cheque left at the notaria, so these three future dividends are some sort of double accounting.

Is this the same in the UK or USA?

PeterH 25-02-2021 06:12 PM

Oh and I make Maidstoned right and Maz stuck in the past of his fuddy duddy Oxbridge training..

Originally agenda was the plural of agendum, meaning ‘a thing to be done’. However, it became applied to a list of things to be done, and in this, the most usual modern sense, it has become firmly singular, with the plural agendas.

https://www.lexico.com/explore/is-ag...ular-or-plural

It s a single source, but it is powered by Oxford.

El Aguila 25-02-2021 06:24 PM

They both have a point. I have to admit I can get a bit Mazzy about "data".

west country boy 25-02-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15669619)
They both have a point. I have to admit I can get a bit Mazzy about "data".

It should of course be "datodes".

(Do you have the same issues with the likes of "candelabra" and "media"?)

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15669619)
They both have a point. I have to admit I can get a bit Mazzy about "data".

The Star Trek character?

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15669614)
The bank dragging its feet, and then surprising me with a sting in the tail bit of extra thievery in paying off my mortgage as part of a property sale.

Basically, they have notified me of some additional charges that I must cover to proceed that just about knocks on the head the trip back to the UK that I had budgeted for.

A nice debate on the phone yesterday,and a trip to Santiago today to chat in person.

I particularly enjoyed the chap telling me that banks weren't in the business of giving money away.

I asked him if there was a school where they taught upcoming thieves in suits. I also said that I felt like I was a victim of an assault and was being treated by a copper who then proceeded to steal my phone.

Them just making sure they squeeze out their final pint of blood, I suppose.

I wonder whether it is just a Chilean thing or is universal. I did point out that banking staff seem to be living on a completely different plane of existence to the rest of people. I said that I knew that it was his job to defend his bank's policies to clients, but whereas while most regular people would see their charges and costs as excessive or abusive, they feel, supported by the law, that all is normal. I asked him, that considering we are in a pandemic and that I am officially drawing unemployment benefit, if he thought that surprising someone with a previously unnotified request for almost 2 grand to proceed, is something that most regular clients can easily take with a pinch of salt. I got a blank stare on that one.

The word I am looking for is - intransigent.

I even tried the old lawyers or superintendant of banks line, but he said it was my choice, but I would just accrue more charges over time and have lawyers fees on top.
I sometimes feel that people are laughing at me as they dip their hands into my pocket.

I will probably get about a grand of that back. I seemingly have to pay a guarantee of the next three mortgage dividends should the sale be overly delayed. Notwithstanding that the paers were signed in the notaria and the bank dragged their feet for a month.

The portion that pays off the bank is including in the cheque left at the notaria, so these three future dividends are some sort of double accounting.

Is this the same in the UK or USA?

Spanish banks are just as bad.

And they charge for everything....and since Brexit have gleefully started charging for processing payments in from the UK.

weltklasse 25-02-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15669627)
The Star Trek character?

Nah Hope Sandoval....

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 15669629)
Nah Hope Sandoval....

Good footballer back in the day, he was at Grasshoppers Zurich wasn't he.

cappuccinoeagle 25-02-2021 06:48 PM

England losing the Test Match in two days thus spoiling my plans to watch live cricket at the weekend


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.