CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

PeterH 21-10-2023 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baughurst eagle (Post 17112873)
what a coincedence Palace well beaten partick my fav scotch team beaten my home town cov beaten England loose cricket and rugby. wankers win, scoucers win
the only slight bit of good news today was Chelsea letting slip a 2-0 lead
Roll on Friday

Brighton lost with one long term injury.

CT_Palace 21-10-2023 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 17112868)
Palace well beaten , Partick well beaten, England cricket team well beaten , shame about rugby too, although I’m not a fan

Dirty Leeds coming back from 2-0 down to win 2-3

Prince Phillip 21-10-2023 11:36 PM

English national sport sides. Always get back off the canvas and have a go at the next tournament. They just can't do without us. (Annoyance mixed with pride)

Sharkba1t 22-10-2023 10:13 AM

A couple of things to report.
Coming back from Barcelona a few weeks back, we sat on the plane for over 3 hours while they (air line is Vueling, avoid) waited for a part for the wing flaps. Eventually we had to get off, go back in to the airport, go through security again ( having queued for 1.5 hours), only to be directed back to the very same plane. Compensation is on the way.
Second annoyance, I have 2 small mortgages with Barclays which finish at the end of this month. Got the final statement which shows me the balance remaining, plus a mortgage exit fee of £275 on each of the mortgages. Utter thieves. Yesterday I phoned them, paid the balance off excluding the exit fees, and cancelled the direct debit.

glenn.f 22-10-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17112881)
Dirty Leeds coming back from 2-0 down to win 2-3

The plus point on this was a good few of may mates would have had ring side seats for this comeback and will keep them a little quiet about our own tonking yesterday.

pallet 22-10-2023 10:59 AM

The fact that I don't enjoy watching Palace at the moment as we are playing such dull football again.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-10-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17113087)
The fact that I don't enjoy watching Palace at the moment as we are playing such dull football again.

Roy Is playing the hand he's been dealt.

Joe85 22-10-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17113087)

You're not alone. I struggling to find the motivation to go on Friday at the moment.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-10-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 17113169)
You're not alone. I struggling to find the motivation to go on Friday at the moment.

Seen worse.

pallet 22-10-2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 17113100)
Roy Is playing the hand he's been dealt.

Not arguing that but it's still pretty dull

stamford triumph 22-10-2023 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 17113169)

Selhurst is always at its best when it’s backs against the wall stuff. I really enjoyed the Forest game despite the dread beforehand hearing about Eze and not scoring.

Maz 22-10-2023 01:39 PM

It is. But we can't complain that we are not seeing new players come through. França, Ozoh and Rak-Sakyi yesterday.

Penstone Eagle 22-10-2023 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 17113042)
Coming back from Barcelona a few weeks back, we sat on the plane for over 3 hours while they (air line is Vueling, avoid) waited for a part for the wing flaps. Eventually we had to get off, go back in to the airport, go through security again ( having queued for 1.5 hours), only to be directed back to the very same plane. Compensation is on the way.
Second annoyance, I have 2 small mortgages with Barclays which finish at the end of this month. Got the final statement which shows me the balance remaining, plus a mortgage exit fee of £275 on each of the mortgages. Utter thieves. Yesterday I phoned them, paid the balance off excluding the exit fees, and cancelled the direct debit.

Yep, exit fees is thieving.

I needed to speak to someone at Vueling and gave up, no reply to an email either, I really don't think I'll use them again.

west country boy 22-10-2023 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17113248)
Not arguing that but it's still pretty dull

Bring back Peter Taylor.

spike 22-10-2023 02:22 PM

Quote:

You presumably agreed to this when you took out the mortgage, and won't they still have a charge on your property until they close your accounts?

exiledeagle 22-10-2023 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 17113272)
Bring back Peter Taylor.

Would love Peter Taylor back

As a player

CT_Palace 22-10-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 17113196)
Seen worse.

much much worse

west country boy 22-10-2023 05:17 PM

^, and I'm not half as old as you two expats.

west country boy 22-10-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 17113408)
Would love Peter Taylor back

As a player

Bit old, but he could probably still do those Norman Wisdom impressions.

cappuccinoeagle 22-10-2023 07:19 PM

Another duff Palace result, Women lose 3-2 at the Valley

Sharkba1t 23-10-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike (Post 17113300)
You presumably agreed to this when you took out the mortgage, and won't they still have a charge on your property until they close your accounts?

I hope not. The chap I spoke to on the phone didn’t mention the exit fees, and confirmed we’d be getting a letter of Congratulations from Barclays and something from the land registry. As for signing the contract at the start, these fees may well have been documented, but I’m damned if I can recall.

Joe85 23-10-2023 09:09 PM

Shitting a turd that wouldn’t look out of place in a log flume. I feel like ol’ jug ears has just given me a raw prostate examination.

Put the old cutters to work, that’s for sure.

Reps AJ 23-10-2023 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 17114576)
Shitting a turd that wouldn’t look out of place in a log flume. I feel like ol’ jug ears has just given me a raw prostate examination.

Put the old cutters to work, that’s for sure.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time

Joe85 23-10-2023 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 17114583)
Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time

Thanks. I think it’s recovered it’s original diameter. :p

Oldtown Eagle 23-10-2023 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 17114624)
Thanks. I think it’s recovered it’s original diameter. :p

Did you need an epidural?

Joe85 23-10-2023 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17114673)
Did you need an epidural?

Probably would have helped. Although there wasn't much time to prep, to be fair.

dave_who_ru 23-10-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

An exit fee can cover the early repayment of a mortgage or when you switch to another lender. Is it possible for admin purposes the final statement still mentioned the exit fee although you only had days left to repay the final balance. Was this on previous account statements.

The other alternative is the fee is there to cover their admin costs in cancelling their charge over your house deeds which would have to be sent to the land registry.

LN1 24-10-2023 12:03 AM

Thankfully managed to pay off my mortgage earlier this year and managed to miss any exit fees. According to the lenders FAQs it was due to having the mortgage prior to a certain date rather than the type of mortgage. I missed the exit fee but was still slight surprised that the redemption fee was exactly the same as what was owed including interest i.e.. the same amount as if I continued paying monthly to the final payment. I could have sworn that previously I'd seen that the figure would be smaller due to not paying all the interest? But I'm just glad I got in a position to do it.

Sharkba1t 25-10-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 17114709)
An exit fee can cover the early repayment of a mortgage or when you switch to another lender. Is it possible for admin purposes the final statement still mentioned the exit fee although you only had days left to repay the final balance. Was this on previous account statements.

The other alternative is the fee is there to cover their admin costs in cancelling their charge over your house deeds which would have to be sent to the land registry.

Thanks for that info. I'd never noticed any exit fee previously.

ozzieEagle 26-10-2023 01:44 AM

Strictly Australian this one I reckon.

After a long day driving in the outback, you get to a pub, with a very restricted range of beers, that's not very pleasant in itself, but still, you get on with that. Anyway, you just want a quiet drink a bit of a stretch of the legs and a relax after the drone of an engine for the past 6 hours or so. Seemingly Everyone drinks frigging stubbies in the bush (glass bottles) Which quite often gets decanted into a glass by the bar person. Cue the frigging bar person chucking the empty bottle(s) Clank/Crash/Smash from a standing position in the bar to a bottle-filled receptacle, usually 2 meters away, that sends a sound shock through your body. I reckon they do it to annoy people. (I'm working your not) Passive aggression. Happens a lot.

One to look out for if you are visiting, and you won't thank me for pointing it out, as you'll never ever stop hearing it. I now associate it with 'all' bush pubs.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 26-10-2023 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 17116426)
Strictly Australian this one I reckon.

After a long day driving in the outback, you get to a pub, with a very restricted range of beers, that's not very pleasant in itself, but still, you get on with that. Anyway, you just want a quiet drink a bit of a stretch of the legs and a relax after the drone of an engine for the past 6 hours or so. Seemingly Everyone drinks frigging stubbies in the bush (glass bottles) Which quite often gets decanted into a glass by the bar person. Cue the frigging bar person chucking the empty bottle(s) Clank/Crash/Smash from a standing position in the bar to a bottle-filled receptacle, usually 2 meters away, that sends a sound shock through your body. I reckon they do it to annoy people. (I'm working your not) Passive aggression. Happens a lot.

One to look out for if you are visiting, and you won't thank me for pointing it out, as you'll never ever stop hearing it. I now associate it with 'all' bush pubs.

What no Craft Breweries in the middle of no where ?? tsk tsk tsk

pallet 26-10-2023 08:02 AM

Thought this was going to be a rant about the TV show

ozzieEagle 26-10-2023 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 17116453)
What no Craft Breweries in the middle of no where ?? tsk tsk tsk

Broome's got a famous one, Matso's .... as has this place, which is a long way from anywhere. Alas no campground at this joint, stayed nearby though and well worth a visit. https://www.prairiehotel.com.au/ There's decent beer all over the Flinders ranges for some odd reason.

Maybe I should do an outback good beer guide, because although they are few and far between they are out there. Daly Waters NT and the Lions Den north of Cooktown, are well worth visiting for anyone with the desire to go to the further reaches.

Ohh, that's a prompt. A friend of my best mate here, who is heavily involved in the music and hospitality scene in Melbourne has in the last year bought this place. They will be going for the most remote outback brewery and will feature live bands. Haven't been there yet, probably get there around September next year.

https://www.mungeranniehotel.com.au/

RazorsEdge 26-10-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LN1 (Post 17114769)
Thankfully managed to pay off my mortgage earlier this year and managed to miss any exit fees. According to the lenders FAQs it was due to having the mortgage prior to a certain date rather than the type of mortgage. I missed the exit fee but was still slight surprised that the redemption fee was exactly the same as what was owed including interest i.e.. the same amount as if I continued paying monthly to the final payment. I could have sworn that previously I'd seen that the figure would be smaller due to not paying all the interest? But I'm just glad I got in a position to do it.

Well done mate. That is always a massive weight of shoulders

LN1 26-10-2023 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 17116483)
Well done mate. That is always a massive weight of shoulders

Thanks RE, it took a little time to sink in but when you get the letter saying the lender has released the deeds it felt good.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 26-10-2023 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 17116476)
Broome's got a famous one, Matso's .... as has this place, which is a long way from anywhere. Alas no campground at this joint, stayed nearby though and well worth a visit. https://www.prairiehotel.com.au/ There's decent beer all over the Flinders ranges for some odd reason.

Maybe I should d[o an outback good beer guide,[/B] because although they are few and far between they are out there. Daly Waters NT and the Lions Den north of Cooktown, are well worth visiting for anyone with the desire to go to the further reaches.

Ohh, that's a prompt. A friend of my best mate here, who is heavily involved in the music and hospitality scene in Melbourne has in the last year bought this place. They will be going for the most remote outback brewery and will feature live bands. Haven't been there yet, probably get there around September next year.

Let me know I will follow behind on me bike.;)

Maidstoned Eagle 26-10-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 17116476)

"Most remote" "will feature live bands"...." look mate,I know we're a few hundred miles out but if you can't do the gig for 200 bucks then we ain't booking ya! "

CK 26-10-2023 12:48 PM

Mrs CK getting an email from M&S asking her if she wants to opt out of Christmas. What is this bloody country coming to:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Maidstoned Eagle 26-10-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 17116729)
Mrs CK getting an email from M&S asking her if she wants to opt out of Christmas. What is this bloody country coming to:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I'd like to opt out of Christmas.

CT_Palace 26-10-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 17117014)
I'd like to opt out of Christmas.

I have :lux: :lux:

The Mrs is off to the USA to spend xmas with Jnr.

No xmas bollocks for CT this year :lux: :lux:

PeterH 26-10-2023 04:01 PM

I enjoy Christmas. Granted, like the rest of us I am no fan of Christmas prep starting in August, but I have no problem getting into the spirit of it all from start December.

We will opt out of spending too much on gifts that the grandkids will only use a couple of times and lose interest - I am thinking of maybe a board game or two and lots of stuff like plasticine, drawing blocks, pencils etc. this year.

CT Palace, what a perfect opportunity for you to come and celebrate Christmas for a couple of days at my place.

RazorsEdge 26-10-2023 04:05 PM

I love Christmas

PeterH 26-10-2023 04:10 PM

As for mortgage exit fees - when I sold up and cleared the mortgage the bank here managed to throw a couple of extra costs in. After being given a good kicking over 10 years, I likened it to me trying to get unsteadily to my feet and the thugs landing a final kick to the head to keep me down on the floor.

Whatever calculations they had come up with meant they insisted that I come up with a couple of grand in advance for them to sign off on the paperwork to enable me to sell and move on with a nice profit. And they were bemused that it was complicated for me to get hold of that cash inside of a week. Luckily I had a family member who just happened to have cash on the hip just at that time.

In their final calculations they actually returned most of that to me, so they money was never needed anyway, but it caused a few stomach pangs of stress at the time. Again they were very non-plussed when I complained about the unnecessary stress - they live in a different reality to the rest of us.

PeterH 26-10-2023 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 17117037)
I love Christmas

Philomena Cunk, Christmas 2016 "Moments of Wonder".

Just to educate the detractors on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNA6b66bILk

big bad John 26-10-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17117032)
stuff like plasticine.

Well there's a name from the past. Surprised it still exists. I would have thought by now that Health and Safety would have banned it for giving kids ADHD or the diarrhea.
Every afternoon when I first started school we spent playing around, rolling, and making shapes with plasticine. Yes, I know you didn't eat it, but it did seem to end up in a large amount of childrens mouths.
Not sure why it was so important. Was it to see if any of the male children had the potential to one day be a world leader, whose ability to shape things for the future was spotted on the plasticine table. Or was it to spot any future Demi Moores whose magic touch with the Plasticine would have them in demand for any pottery scenes at the local playhouse?

PeterH 26-10-2023 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17117107)
Well there's a name from the past. Surprised it still exists. I would have thought by now that Health and Safety would have banned it for giving kids ADHD or the diarrhea.
Every afternoon when I first started school we spent playing around, rolling, and making shapes with plasticine. Yes, I know you didn't eat it, but it did seem to end up in a large amount of childrens mouths.
Not sure why it was so important. Was it to see if any of the male children had the potential to one day be a world leader, whose ability to shape things for the future was spotted on the plasticine table. Or was it to spot any future Demi Moores whose magic touch with the Plasticine would have them in demand for any pottery scenes at the local playhouse?

Like you said, we have found that it provides a huge amount of fun for the grandkids at a low cost. They really engage with it.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 27-10-2023 09:32 AM

Australian women beat Iran 2 -0 in an Olympic qualifier yesterday . One of the Aus players interviewed after the game said " we knew it would be a hard game and had to get past their block " I assume she meant the Iran defence.

Isle of Wight 27-10-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 17117621)
Australian women beat Iran 2 -0 in an Olympic qualifier yesterday . One of the Aus players interviewed after the game said " we knew it would be a hard game and had to get past their block " I assume she meant the Iran defence.

Don’t I can’t stand these things creeping in. On the England game, the substitutions are now “player out” and “player in”rather than on off :wallbash:

big bad John 27-10-2023 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 17117692)
Don’t I can’t stand these things creeping in. On the England game, the substitutions are now “player out” and “player in”rather than on off :wallbash:

Its slowly but surely been getting Americanized for years. "Running down the clock" "first period" "brought on to close out the game." All these Baseball, basketball or grid iron terms have filtered their way in to our once great game.
You can't even call the gaffer the manager anymore. He's now the coach. That used to be the managers mate from their playing days, who was down on his luck and was given the job of putting the cones out and giving the sub a pat on the bum when he came on with a minute to go so he could get an appearance bonus. Don't worry, time outs aren't far away and eleven subs are soon going to be coming off the bench, at a ground near you.

Alfies army 27-10-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17118031)
Its slowly but surely been getting Americanized for years. "Running down the clock" "first period" "brought on to close out the game." All these Baseball, basketball or grid iron terms have filtered their way in to our once great game.
You can't even call the gaffer the manager anymore. He's now the coach. That used to be the managers mate from their playing days, who was down on his luck and was given the job of putting the cones out and giving the sub a pat on the bum when he came on with a minute to go so he could get an appearance bonus. Don't worry, time outs aren't far away and eleven subs are soon going to be coming off the bench, at a ground near you.

Eleven subs and klopp still won’t be happy

Maidstoned Eagle 28-10-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17117017)
I have :lux: :lux:

The Mrs is off to the USA to spend xmas with Jnr.

No xmas bollocks for CT this year :lux: :lux:

You lucky, lucky bastard.

Cyneagle 28-10-2023 07:54 PM

F kin Halloween.

Joe85 28-10-2023 08:08 PM

My wife is putting xmas decorations up.

I have an Xmas tree in the kitchen.

pallet 28-10-2023 08:14 PM

Does she know it's not even November?

LN1 28-10-2023 08:18 PM

Could at least make it a Halloween tree then a Bonfire night/Guy Fawkes tree before starting to put the baubles on?

E.H.Plimmy 28-10-2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17120344)
Does she know it's not even November?

Let's give Geldof and Ure a call and see if we can't get the old gang together again.

Joe85 28-10-2023 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.H.Plimmy (Post 17120350)
Let's give Geldof and Ure a call and see if we can't get the old gang together again.

:D

Herr Colonpharter 28-10-2023 10:29 PM

BBC's live reporting of the rugby a good 2 minutes behind the action.

Oldtown Eagle 28-10-2023 10:42 PM

Rugby in general. Granted there are some tough guys out there. But the game is stop, start, night school is needed to understand the rules. Oh and the snobbery of rugby people looking down on football fans, when their getting arseholed and pissing on each other is just jolly japes.

sunshine lucas 28-10-2023 11:13 PM

Bournemouth…
Here for University open day visit…
I’ve been before some years ago…. My gawd it’s gone downhill.

Johnsonpen 28-10-2023 11:21 PM

The fact that Michael Meyers is not a real person who could clear the streets of trick or treaters near me

That the BBC Gaza correspondent has clearly done favours for someone to get his job, clearly skipped a talent audition

Stavros 69 29-10-2023 01:45 AM

Fruit not lasting more than a couple of days

CT_Palace 29-10-2023 01:23 AM

The inability of The Guardian sports writers to TELL US THE ******* SCORE!!!

Checked in on the live commentary of the England rugby game on Friday to see what the score was.... no score line to be found.
Checked in on the report of the F1 qualification results just now... no idea where anyone is on the grid bar the front 3 and Hamilton and Russell.
Cricket reports - same... loads of guff but not the scoreboard.

I know there are hundreds of other sources but FFS... never mind your flowery opinion of something that happened.... what is the result/score???

Terrace Bickle 29-10-2023 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine lucas (Post 17120602)
Bournemouth…

I'm afraid that goes for most of the UK especially seaside towns. We revisited Sutton on Sea last year as it was somewhere we'd holidayed when my daughter was a baby. We were shocked at how all the towns on that stretch of coast had taken a turn for the worse in a big way. Though at least with SoS there was some investment/development underway on the sea front.

pallet 29-10-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine lucas (Post 17120602)
Bournemouth…

Both my daughters are there, your right it's a bit of a dump and the student accommodation is pretty awful.

Pidster 29-10-2023 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 17120768)

Do you keep bananas near other fruit?

Alfies army 29-10-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 17120768)

There’s a storey on my local online news today if a woman that brought a Big Mac and Fri’s in February this year and has left it fir 5 months to see what happens to it , she’s says it still looks the same only the tiniest bit of mould on it she has pics to back it up it’s on kent online if anyone cares :D

HOL_Beagle 29-10-2023 10:35 AM

Being referred to as 'you guys' by waiters/waitresses.

costello 29-10-2023 10:48 AM

Being called "mate" by a customer service agent.

chrisophiex 29-10-2023 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by costello (Post 17121031)

Indeed. The bloke I spoke to at BT, who was based in Newcastle, sounding like someone who was instructed to be your best mate, and throw in as many Geordie phrases as possible.

It sounds quite pleasant, but was massively overdone, and felt quite uncomfortable. He put me on hold for 3 mins and then it got diverted to someone else as I think he nicked off yem , ya bugger.

norwoodeagle 29-10-2023 11:43 AM

Quote:

And the insistence on shop staff saying “ are you alright there”.
Say “hello, can I help you”

KYLIE MINEAGLE 29-10-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Standard Australian response when you can't remember some ones name. "Mate how you doing have'nt seen you in years" Translate, I can't remember your name. My fall back position.

sunshine lucas 29-10-2023 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17120941)
Both my daughters are there, your right it's a bit of a dump and the student accommodation is pretty awful.

Hmmm…do find these open days bizarre, particularly re the amounts of money concerned now. They big up the course and the campus and then you get shown around accommodation blocks and these awful, tiny rooms are going to cost another £7k a year… jeeeeez…

pallet 29-10-2023 01:27 PM

Yep, the rooms they have are tiny and the kitchen when they moved on wasn't even clean. However they are enjoying it and it's a good uni, if your son/daughter is thinking of going there stay in the city center.

sunshine lucas 29-10-2023 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17121217)
Yep, the rooms they have are tiny and the kitchen when they moved on wasn't even clean. However they are enjoying it and it's a good uni, if your son/daughter is thinking of going there stay in the city center.

Thanks P, useful info :p

Stellavista 29-10-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine lucas (Post 17121147)
Hmmm…do find these open days bizarre, particularly re the amounts of money concerned now. They big up the course and the campus and then you get shown around accommodation blocks and these awful, tiny rooms are going to cost another £7k a year… jeeeeez…

And the cost of accommodation is often more than the maintenance loan available to many students.
Student housing and maintenance is in crisis.

west country boy 29-10-2023 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine lucas (Post 17121147)

Seven grand a year?! F*ck my hat. It is 25 years or so since I graduated but London student rents were eff all in those days.

Nth Kent Eagle 29-10-2023 04:02 PM

The coffee shop chains are starting to get on my nerves as they seem to be able to repeatedly put up prices and maintain volumes. Pricing is controlled by the owners e.g Coca Cola owning Costa rather than the franchisee. So Coca Cola will move more successful or locally dominant Costa stores up to a higher branch category and put up prices. For the first time I will start to reduce uses of these places as I don’t like being price gouged.

ceeby 29-10-2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOL_Beagle (Post 17121010)
Being referred to as 'you guys' by waiters/waitresses.

Now that does my head in... :wallbash:

Stavros 69 29-10-2023 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 17120948)
Do you keep bananas near other fruit?

Nope just fruit like blueberries and raspberries, 2 days and they’ve gone off.

pallet 29-10-2023 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 17121343)
And the cost of accommodation is often more than the maintenance loan available to many students.
Student housing and maintenance is in crisis.

My daughters have £5 a week after they pay their rent

Isle of Wight 29-10-2023 05:20 PM

Everton winning

eaglesheart 29-10-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 17121519)
Everton winning

Only tempered by the Hamsters losing. Did you know they are massive ?

Isle of Wight 02-11-2023 11:18 AM

On the ferry and a Karen is kicking off because the play area is closed and her kids are disappointed. It’s closed as some screws have been noticed sticking out. Imagine how she would have been when one of her precious babies had got its had ripped to sheds as it came down the slide. It’s a 45 min trip ffs not Peppa pig world.

Polak 02-11-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

"Buddy" really boils my piss for some reason.

Isle of Wight 02-11-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 17124723)
"Buddy" really boils my piss for some reason.

God I hate this so much. I guy I’ve known for years through work uses it all the time and I loathe him for it .

Little Fozzie 02-11-2023 11:57 AM

I'm not your buddy, guy!

stevek 02-11-2023 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 17124721)
On the ferry and a Karen is kicking off because the play area is closed and her kids are disappointed. It’s closed as some screws have been noticed sticking out. Imagine how she would have been when one of her precious babies had got its had ripped to sheds as it came down the slide. It’s a 45 min trip ffs not Peppa pig world.

The expression "a Karen".

west country boy 02-11-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17124843)

And it is a f~cking shit expression.

smileysmith 02-11-2023 02:06 PM

OK boomer.

CK 02-11-2023 04:05 PM

Karen
/kəˈrɛn/
noun
a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand.
the language of the Karen, which probably belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family. Its highly distinct dialects have over 5 million speakers altogether.

Maidstoned Eagle 02-11-2023 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 17125014)
Karen
/kəˈrɛn/
noun
a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand.
the language of the Karen, which probably belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family. Its highly distinct dialects have over 5 million speakers altogether.

It's also my wifes name....

NRM the 2nd 02-11-2023 06:45 PM

Work from home being the answer to everything since covid. Oh it's going to rain tomorrow, please work from home, oh there will be a breeze on Thursday, please work from home. Oh it maybe cloudy, please work from home. Oh a train may not run next week, please all work from home.

ChickenDipper 02-11-2023 06:49 PM

When people say they’ve turned it around and done a 360. No it’s a 180, cause a 360 means you continue as you are

Danny_Cheviot 02-11-2023 07:58 PM

Car manufacturers who **** around with the steering stalks.

You pull the left one towards you to flash the lights, and the right one to operate the windscreen washer.

How hard can it be?

big bad John 02-11-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17124843)

Try going through life being called a John;)

Frogsporn 02-11-2023 08:58 PM

Clicking on a link and it turns out to be a tweet on X.

If you don’t have a X account you literally only get to see the tweet, you can’t read any replies and, if it’s a video, it buffers after about 20 seconds.

As someone who has no interest in ever getting an account, it annoys the **** out of me when I click on a link posted on here about a subject I’m interested in without checking it’s not X and only realise I’ve wasted my time when the X appears on my screen.

TWELLSEagle 03-11-2023 09:39 AM

Jake Humphrey. What a 'Bell'.

Terrace Bickle 03-11-2023 09:39 AM

There are just so many spelling errors and other mistakes on the BBC News/Weather/Sport websites these days. Don't they proof read anything before making it live?

Pidster 03-11-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 17125593)
There are just so many spelling errors and other mistakes on the BBC News/Weather/Sport websites these days. Don't they proof read anything before making it live?

:supergrin: They had an article about a shark attack in Australia, where the shark was described as 4 metres or 157 feet in length.