CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Olympics (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   2022 Winter Olympics - Beijing (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260828)

Funk Butter 31-07-2015 03:38 PM

2022 Winter Olympics - Beijing
 
Quote:

Beijing defeated Almaty by a vote of 44-40, much closer than observers were expecting. (And the vote was done by paper ballot, after the first round of electronic voting wasn’t counted due to a glitch.) But in the end, the IOC decided to go with a country they know is capable.

Quote:

“It really is a safe choice,” IOC President Thomas Bach said. “We know China will deliver on its promises.”
Beijing will be the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics, though “host” is a partial misnomer here—while the indoor ice events will take place in the city, it barely snows in Beijing itself. The snow events will be held in Zhangjiakou, 120 miles away.
I guess we won't be able to stay at Stigma's house since Norway bowed out for Beijing to swoop in.

Adlerhorst 31-07-2015 04:35 PM

Bit of a shame Almaty didn't get it.

The plus side of Almaty is no matter how drunk you get (and you will get drunk, it's like the law or something) you can always find your way back to where you are supposed to be. The whole town slopes one way and there are mountains to the north so you can always work which way to go.

Also the gypsy cab system is awesome. Flag down random member of the public and attempt (in Russian, you have no chance in Kazakh) to explain where you want to go and to negotiate a price.

Funk Butter 01-08-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 12500298)
Bit of a shame Almaty didn't get it.

The plus side of Almaty is no matter how drunk you get (and you will get drunk, it's like the law or something) you can always find your way back to where you are supposed to be. The whole town slopes one way and there are mountains to the north so you can always work which way to go.

Also the gypsy cab system is awesome. Flag down random member of the public and attempt (in Russian, you have no chance in Kazakh) to explain where you want to go and to negotiate a price.

I take it Almaty actually has snow in winter, unlike....

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...8146198120.jpg

TeamSlack 06-08-2015 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 12500298)
Also the gypsy cab system is awesome. Flag down random member of the public and attempt (in Russian, you have no chance in Kazakh) to explain where you want to go and to negotiate a price.

Sounds like Baltimore City

hong_kong_hg 18-01-2022 11:33 AM

...

Funk Butter 07-02-2022 08:31 AM

With no snow at the mountain where they're doing the alpine skiing, the fake snow sounds like ice as the skiers come down it.

Funk Butter 10-02-2022 03:20 PM

No wonder they can go so high in the aerial event.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/...0&h=600&crop=1

Adlerhorst 11-02-2022 04:37 AM

Drugs failure.

Russian

I’m shocked.

Webb 11-02-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter (Post 16266560)
No wonder they can go so high in the aerial event.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/...0&h=600&crop=1

There was another view of the venue from a wider angle that looked like a ski jump in the middle of LA from Blade Runner. Bleak.

Webb 11-02-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 16267068)
Drugs failure.

Russian

I’m shocked.

Fingers pointing at the coaches rather than a 15 year old girl do we think?

'Take this.' 'Er, OK'

Always amazed these days people/coaches think they can get away with it, particularly given the history of state-sponsored doping. Sure the 'random' IOC tests aren't looking anywhere in particular.......:rolleyes:

Webb 11-02-2022 09:41 AM

I'm really enjoying the Games. Was great to see Jacobellis get redemption in the boarding cross, 16 (!) years on.

Feel for Mikaela Shiffrin, but that's how it goes.

Webb 11-02-2022 10:02 AM

Sad to see White bow out, but what a career.

Kim is head and shoulders the best female rider - quite an achievement to have two years out between Games and still be so dominant and make very difficult things look very easy.

Man, I wish I'd got my arse in gear and sorted a trip out to the Alps this year. Need £ for possible house move so maybe next year!

Herr Colonpharter 12-02-2022 12:44 PM

Appears ice hockey now have 'goalies' rather than 'net minders' :confused:

Big Blue Eagle 17-02-2022 01:32 PM

Looks like Meatloaf faked his own death and is now one of the lead US curlers…

Adlerhorst 17-02-2022 02:38 PM

Well they can have a medal ceremony for the ice skating now.

Hedgehog 18-02-2022 07:49 PM

Looks like GB hasn't won any medals yet (guaranteed 1 in curling I see).

This is pretty bad going by recent standards isn't it?

I read somewhere that the GB Skeleton association had been given something like £6.5 million in government grants over the last 4 years... WTF!

bubbs11 19-02-2022 07:06 AM

GB take an early lead in Men’s Curling final.

Big Blue Eagle 19-02-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 16279994)
Looks like GB hasn't won any medals yet (guaranteed 1 in curling I see).

This is pretty bad going by recent standards isn't it?

I read somewhere that the GB Skeleton association had been given something like £6.5 million in government grants over the last 4 years... WTF!

Two guaranteed medals in curling, silver already in the bag by the men. There has been some pretty sh*t luck on the snow with injuries to medal hopes very late, but the skeleton was dreadful. Past winners think the issue was with the tech on the sleds not working as it should.

Big Blue Eagle 20-02-2022 04:16 PM

Going the extra miles….

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...inter-olympics

Hedgehog 20-02-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle (Post 16281093)
There has been some pretty sh*t luck on the snow with injuries to medal hopes very late, but the skeleton was dreadful. Past winners think the issue was with the tech on the sleds not working as it should.

Needed more WD-40 on the bottom of their baking tray.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.