CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Are QB's ALWAYS team captains?!
Not always. See the Bears, who never seem to have a QB as captain. Even Jim McMahon wasn't when they won Super Bowl XX.

Here's something I know LLCOOLSTEVE will admire - Rivers played the AFC Championship Game with a torn ACL. :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3207105

Just watching the Packers-Giants game on Sky+. Have to remind myself that the -1 temperature is fahrenheit, not celcius.

Latvian Eagle 21-01-2008 10:05 PM

Well not really surprising about the Bears. They've used three QB's this season. Not really continuity is it! :o

joyce the voice 21-01-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hedgehog:

[B]Crowd also sounded very Chelsea'esque.... very little atmosphere on the whole it seemed to me.[B]

According to the sports guy on espn.com Foxboro has very bad acoustics. I'm sure the crowd were loud on Sunday--maybe not Green Bay loud, but loud enough.

Originally posted by Benzhiyi

I'm supposed to be having Nookiebear over for the Super Bowl. Maybe I'll just stick on Game 4 of the Red Sox - Rockies world series instead, so he can experience a side from Massachusetts winning a world championship with good grace while demonstrating values of sportsmanship and fair play. ;)

Well I usually agree with you Benzhiyi, but I don't think the Pats are bad sports and I think they do play fair. As regards Spygate, I don't see the big deal as all teams tape defensive signals from the stands. The rules say you can't do this from the sidelines, but really what is the difference? I don't know why Belichik did it. But he had to know that they cameraman would be seen (now if he was secretly taping, well that's different). I also don't think we ran up the score. Why kick a field goal in the fourth quarter if you don't want to score points? Belichik was doing what he needed to in order to keep his team in tiptop psychological and physical shape, nothing more. They didn't pile on. Finally, I agree that Harrison is a dirty player, but every team has one or two.

19-0 and I'll die happy.

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2008 10:11 PM

The Sports Guy podcast last week claimed (via a Patriots supporter) that the fans seemed into it, but the atmosphere isn't contained. They've also admitted that the vocal supporters are farthest from the field due to the price of tickets, which seems fairly common these days.

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2008 10:26 PM

Smart of the Giants not to challenge the Lee TD. That would have almost certainly lost them a timeout. How many coaches waste a challenge and timeout on the hope that they'll get a call overturned, forgetting that there needs to be clear evidence to get a reversal?

pauldrulez 21-01-2008 10:53 PM

Had the chargers not had the injuries to two of their key players, I think that New England would have been in a hell of a lot of trouble. LT was struggling and only involved in two plays if I remember rightly. Rivers played the whole match with a torn ACL which had the Pats managed to sack him more, could have been career-threatening. I knew they wer both injured but didnt think it was that bad.

LLCOOLSTEVE 22-01-2008 12:59 AM

Best Football film ever on BBC this evening :)

selhurstparkflyer 22-01-2008 01:16 AM

Giants are going to win the big game. Cool.

elliott 22-01-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
one of.

there are a few to be fair.

i watched junction boys a few weeks ago. obviously someone who PFIA will know of a little bit! reading around it, a very inspiring story.

RTT always makes me sad, but then I realise that it's practically just a story. It's not real. Whereas my friends have met people from Marshall who have been in tears whilst describing what happened there, and the film always means far far more to me, particularly when you watch the end bit.

Rudi is also pretty good, considering that is 90% based on fact. And the same with the Vinny Papale film. That's 90% fact!

The only two football films I really dislike are Any Given Sunday and Facing the Giants. I suspect most of you will never have ever seen FTG. It's written by the Atlanta church commission. That's all you have to know! It's absolutely terrible!

Anyway!

I'm drunk.

LLCOOLSTEVE 22-01-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elliott

RTT always makes me sad, but then I realise that it's practically just a story. It's not real.

. And the same with the Vinny Papale film. That's 90% fact!

RTT is based on true events though

I saw Invincible on the plane to NYC in december, had never heard of it before then, very good it was too :)

RDSdaEAGLE 22-01-2008 05:58 AM

Nothing can beat Grid Iron Gang.

Actually, everything can. It was crap! :D

elliott 22-01-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

RTT is based on true events though

I saw Invincible on the plane to NYC in december, had never heard of it before then, very good it was too :)

Based on. As in it's completely non-related to it.

It's written by Disney, that's enough for me.

A nice story and a great film, but completely disney-fied from the actual truth.

elliott 22-01-2008 09:34 AM

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfa...rthetitans.php

Benzhiyi 22-01-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Three words:

Friday. Night. Lights.

elliott 22-01-2008 10:40 AM

Two words:

Over

rated.

Benzhiyi 22-01-2008 01:48 PM

I thought the same the first time I saw it. But having watched it twice since... it's just beautiful. I'm not ashamed to admit that it's one of the very few films that has me close to tears, particularly the scene where Boobie gets in his uncle's car and realises it's all over for him. The photography, the soundtrack, the emotional highs and lows - wonderful film.

Chester 22-01-2008 01:48 PM

Surely the best football related film is Radio

saxoneagle 22-01-2008 01:56 PM

Well, I think most sports related films are a pile of cr*p.

Strathclyde Eagle 22-01-2008 05:07 PM

Warrants mentioning.

http://deadspin.com/347195/the-six-s...lready-sick-of

Oh, and the Daily Record said that Tynes made his winning kick in temperatures of -4C, forgetting that when Americans talk about temperatures they measure them in fahrenheit. :clown:

saxoneagle 22-01-2008 05:21 PM

Scottish kicker - another reason not to like the Giants :clown: