CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Think I've found the direct link to Paul's post if anyone would it to add to their signatures. I might join you, just for comedy's sake. :D

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.ph...01#post6876101

Join them, I dont care. We all know an AFC team will win it.

saxoneagle 08-09-2008 05:02 PM

I don’t have a blog, or such like, so here are my thoughts on week one to date:

The season opened on Thursday night and I had high hopes for the Redskins. As it turned out, a Giants D without Use and Strahan was still pretty handy and Campbell is still the same as last year. Ho-hum. Another defending champ wins on opening day.

After a seemingly endless wait, the rest of the action got under way and, much like Ben, I had a distraction and one which could not be avoided. My wife, god bless her, had decided to book us in to go diving on Sunday and given she was already annoyed with me, I didn’t want to stoke the fire. At the worst, I thought, I’ll be back by half-time in the first set of games. Alas not, as I returned with around 8 or 9 minutes left in most games.

But all was not lost – I turned on to see the Falcons beating the Lions on one channel and a squeaky bum-time match for the Jets in Miami. Prior to Sunday, I’d said that I liked the look of Matt Ryan and despite tipping Detroit for a win and being overshadowed by a former LT backup runner, the kid did good. From young to old, and another QB working off a limited play-book, I saw Favre had led the Jets into a lead against Miami before jelly-armed Chad bought the Fins back into it. Not only that, they had a chance to snatch a win thanks to some curse which kept knocking players down on Sunday. I wonder, would a more experienced receiver than Ted Ginn Jr have made more of a play to knock the ball down than take the man down? Sure, it would’ve been a penalty and a drop back of 10 yards but at least Pennington would’ve had one more shot at the end zone. Either way, the Jets with Favre aren’t a whole lot better than the Jets last season. Will they need to be?

Catching up on the rest of the early games, it seems they might have to as one of my pre-season tips for a good play-off run, Seattle, was over-whelmed by the Bills. You can tell things aren’t going your way when you can’t tackle the punt returner and the punter throws a 19 yard TD pass. The Bills, from the limited highlights I’ve seen, looked pretty solid in all departments and the events in Foxboro (which I don’t need to discuss any further) could see them taking the AFC East title on current form. Week one, I know, but there were three or four REALLY good performances yesterday and this was right up there.

Credit must also go to Joe Flacco, the Ravens starting QB by default. He didn’t throw a TD pass but he ran for one. More telling though, was the Clayton touchdown run on a double reverse. As a coach, you need to have confidence in your rookie QB to risk that kind of play and, not only did it come off, Flacco made an excellent block to open a hole for Clayton.

Elsewhere, Reggie Bush showed some all round skills catching a pass and running like a running back to score for the Saints in a crucial divisional win while another QB (to go with Croyle and someone else) went down in Tennessee as Young limped off with a knee injury and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. Another solid match for Vince but his picks still outweigh his TDs and, yes, it’s another in the win column but it was Kerry Collins that killed the clock at the end, not Young. Their opponents, the Bucs and Jags respectively, both have high ideas for the season and both fell just short. The Bucs had chances but who could deny those New Orleanians a homecoming present (again)? Both the Bucs and the Jags seemed to suffer from running the ball – the Bucs ran 20 times averaging nearly 8 yards per carry but they threw the ball much less successfully. Why didn’t they pound the NO D with the run more. The Jags were different though – they tried to run but they met the Titan D. The much heralded due of Jones-Drew and Taylor combined for just 31 yards on 14 carries. Screwed my fantasy team, too!

Pittsburgh and Philly both put up 38 points. Philly got the plaudits this morning despite facing an awful St Louis side while Pittsburgh crept along quietly. Watching the ESPN highlights this morning, anyone would think the Steelers hadn’t even played. But they did and they did well against a decent Texans outfit. Time will tell how far McNabb and Big Ben can take their teams this season but all of a sudden, a stud QB just behind the top 3 or 4 might get you all the way.

In the second set of games, San Fran showed why they will battle with the Rams for the first overall pick of the 2009 draft – against an average Arizona, they conceded 5 fumbles (4 lost) and 1 interception. What will they do against a good defence? To make matters worse, 3 of those turnovers came from O’Sullivan, the new QB in place of Alex Smith. Awful, awful, awful.

Speaking of awful, where did the 2007 Browns disappear to? The Romo/TO love-in came to town and the Browns couldn’t stop it. Hell, last year they wouldn’t have stopped it either but at least they’d have put 20+ points on the board to make a game of it. Anderson was off the game, Lewis wasn’t running quite as hard and the Dallas D stepped in when they were needed. On the other side, Dallas looked clinical early on and controlled the clock later on. I hate to say it but they looked good.

In the final game of the afternoon, perennial chokers the San Diego Chokers, choked. Nothing much more to add except full credit to Delhomme for forcing that final pass with no seconds on the clock past at least two defensive backs and an excellent catch by Rosario, another tight end having a good opening day. You have to wonder with SD, you really do. Rivers threw for 3 TDs and over 200 yards, LT didn’t quite make a hundred yards but took plenty of the workload but how good is that D without Merriman? Yes, he was there yesterday but I don’t really think he was THERE. One tackle, one assist isn’t the Merriman you need on the field.

For Sunday night, the Colts opened the new stadium against the Bears with the revolving QB door having finally stopped on Orton. As expected, the Colts came out throwing and Manning got into a decent groove early on behind a new center after no pre-season. Time soon told that this was a false dawn though as timeouts were wasted and penalties given for delay of game. Very un-Colt like. The Chicago D worked hard, very hard and restricted Addai to under 50 yards and meant Manning threw 49 times. No better way to test yourself than to keep throwing, I guess. For the Bears, Orton was solid if not spectacular but he managed the clock well. The Bears new RB, Forte opened his TD account with a 50 yarder and continued onto a 100 yard game on debut. Chicago deserved their win, were very solid, but the Colts will only get better once Manning builds a rapport with Justice, the rookie center.

And it’s not over yet – two more games tonight. And guess what? The wife has arranged for us to go out to dinner…

Strathclyde Eagle 08-09-2008 05:05 PM

Nice summary, Saxon. :p

I think Ben should offer up a rotating guest gig, once a week. ;)

Chester 08-09-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
Hate me, like people hate the Patriots. Its because I am better than you ;)

Ben, great blog.

I don't hate you or the Patriots. I am just bored by the vacuous guff that you post the majority of time with Usain Bolt like speed

Strathclyde Eagle 08-09-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Brady blog done.

In my sig, if I haven't whored it enough yet. :o

I won't put it in the comments there - wrong Pollard, dude.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:19 PM

My unbiased thoughts:

Ups - Forte, Ryan, Flacco, McNabb, Romo, TO, Steelers, Favre, Delhomme, Cassel, Parker, Bears and DeSean Jackson

Downs - Brady, Croyle, Palmer, Bengals, Rams, Browns, 49ers, Anderson, Colts and the Chargers

My Player of the Week:
Joint Winner: DeSean Jackson and Donovan McNabb tie. Philadelphia Eagles.
Runner-Up: Jake Delhomme. Impressive win against the Chargers with last minute TD. Carolina Panthers

My Team of the Week: Chicago Bears
Runner-up: Pittsburgh Steelers - Highest Scoring team of week 1 along with the Eagles but combined passing and rushing effectively.

My Loser of the Week
Winner: Tom Brady, New England. Obvious reasons
Runner-up: The Jags OL, allowing Garrard to be sacked 7 times.

Worst Team of the Week
Winner: St Louis Rams, only team not to score a touchdown.
Runner-up: Chargers, AFC 2nd favourites lose their first game in last second.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
I don't hate you or the Patriots. I am just bored by the vacuous guff that you post the majority of time with Usain Bolt like speed
Its because I can type quick and get it in just after the 35 second time limit.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:30 PM

For those interested, Bill Belichick will be having a live press conference in 15 minutes, which may be live on NFL Network. I'm not sure but its going be replayed at 8pm, 15:00est on the Patriots website. But the news will have leaked by then.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:33 PM

Scrap that, his usual Press Conference has been put back until 8pm here due to events.

Sounds ominous, will my hopes shatter, will it all be a smokescreen, have we traded Cassel for Eli Manning?

We'll find out right after this.

(I could be a cheesy TV presenter) I talk to myself enough

nookiebear 08-09-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
I like to call him Mr. Interception. But now I call him Mr. Touchdown.

You heard it here first, before I am taken off by a psychiatrist.

The Superbowl XLIII MVP will be Matt Cassell, Quarterback, New England Patriots.

Put that in your signatures.

Can I have some of what you're smoking, please?

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 05:42 PM

:D
Just another one of my predictions for the season. There is no TOM in Team, its close but no cigar. And listening to a player interview right now whose face I can picture but cant think who it is, says that Cassel works out well in Practice, has always struggled with nerves in games and needs to complete a pass before he gets started, thats why he didnt have the confidence to throw from the 2yd line, then the 0.5yd line but had to on 3rd and hit it properly. It all comes down to how he handles his nerves. He isnt Tom Brady, not even close, but he still has Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Washington and the rest. He has a packed backfield to help him out. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, LaMont Jordan and Heath Evans. All can help run the ball should he struggle. We have one of the best OLs in football, 3 Probowlers, they gave him time and space to find his way. Shame they didnt stop Pollard though.

jazman 08-09-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Think I've found the direct link to Paul's post if anyone would it to add to their signatures. I might join you, just for comedy's sake. :D

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.ph...01#post6876101

Please do. We wouldn't want him to forget now would we? ;)

jazman 08-09-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Speaking of awful, where did the 2007 Browns disappear to? The Romo/TO love-in came to town and the Browns couldn’t stop it. Hell, last year they wouldn’t have stopped it either but at least they’d have put 20+ points on the board to make a game of it. Anderson was off the game, Lewis wasn’t running quite as hard and the Dallas D stepped in when they were needed. On the other side, Dallas looked clinical early on and controlled the clock later on. I hate to say it but they looked good.
And no tears :D

Great read fella. :p

I'm not as clued up as you guys on the game, stats or players but I may well do something similar this week on my observations ... from a UK NFL fan getting back into the game big style after a 5-6 year absence ....

saxoneagle 08-09-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman
And no tears :D

Great read fella. :p

I'm not as clued up as you guys on the game, stats or players but I may well do something similar this week on my observations ... from a UK NFL fan getting back into the game big style after a 5-6 year absence ....

You should. Then we can judge whether you or Paul are the weakest link ;)

jazman 08-09-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
You should. Then we can judge whether you or Paul are the weakest link ;)
No pressure then .... :o

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 06:23 PM

Not difficult, not that I particularly care for peoples opinions of me, I'll carry on helping run a Pats website and giving out proper news rather than listening to ESPNs guesswork, Schefters randomness and Marshall Faulks anti-Patriots bias.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 06:28 PM

From the NFL Website:

How will the Patriots fare this season without QB Tom Brady?
15% Will win the AFC East
35% Will not win AFC East but still make the playoffs
50% Will not make the playoffs

Total Votes: 87020

Benzhiyi 08-09-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

I won't put it in the comments there - wrong Pollard, dude.
Wwwwwwwwwwwhoops!

Cheers. :p

RDSdaEAGLE 08-09-2008 07:17 PM

Yesterday was my first real experience of what is known as American-sport-vegititis. I literally sat down in our comfy chair in the corner, switched on the television and spent the next nine hours watching football.

Every time I tried to turn the telly off to step away and do something else, the possibility that I might miss something dragged me back. I needed to know what was going on.

So there I was, sat in the corner, drinking my Minute Maid Fruit Punch all day, vigilantly watching the television. All in glorious HD. It was fantastic, but I doubt I'll get the opportunity to do it again - my fiance probably won't allow it :D

I was impressed with Favre. I was impressed with the Dolphins. I really feel that the Phins can take a lot of positives from yesterday's game - Pennington seemed to get into a good rhythm - he's a massive improvement on Cleo Lemon, anyway! The Jets weren't entirely surprising - the way Favre seemed to fit into their offense like a glove was. I didn't expect him to link up so easily - but a great QB will do that no matter which team he's playing in.

So, I watched much of the Jets @ Phins game, and spent the rest of the time watching the Saints beat Tampa Bay. To be honest though, I was fixated on the game in Miami.

The Dallas Cowboys completely trampled over the Cleveland Browns. There could and should have been a greater difference in scoreline. It was the first full game that I got to see Romo play, his movement in the pocket is very impressive. He seemed to get himself out of every situation he could - bar the one where he got hit so hard that it cut his chin :D The look on his face was brilliant - pure, unadulterated pain :D Browns just didn't seem to click, although I thought Anderson had a good first quarter, he seemed to be hitting Winslow pretty regularly - and then it all fell apart. The statistics say it all, Romo completing 24 of the 32 passes/rushes he had, Anderson completing only 11 of 24.

On a side note, I wasn't impressed with Romeo Crennel's decision to kick for three rather than to go for it on the fourth down in the last few minutes. It just showed a lack of balls, he didn't want to take a risk when he really should have shown a bit more faith in Anderson. And it left the fans going home angry - I just don't think it was thought through properly.

And then finally, it came to the Bears against the Colts - a game that the Bears won through hard work and a little bit of fortune. I promised my fiance that I wouldn't watch it - but then five minutes later I'm sat infront of the telly again. I could feel my eyes morphing into the square shape of the television.

Manning had a strange game. He just seemed frustrated the entire time, and couldn't pick up any sort of rhythm. Obviously, his knee injury affected him, but he just struggled. And whenever they cut to him after another misplaced pass or a fumbled reception, you would see him with a strange, frustrated looking smile.

As for the Chargers, that was a dissapointing result. Our defense looked pretty static as the Panthers made their way up the field for their final touchdown. I don't understand how Rosario, despite having two players either side of him, had so much space to just grab the ball like he did - I don't think we showed enough discipline and to be honest, we underestimated Carolina.

pauldrulez 08-09-2008 07:30 PM

To keep track of my weekly predictions, I have opened my own blog. Read if you want, Subscribe it comment it, flame it. Whatever you want to do with it. Even to use the content to insult me.

http://patrioteagle.blogspot.com/