CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 16-09-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oz_da II
I wonder where he was when they were shit. :D
Well, I wasnt born when they were incredibly awful.

I started watching NFL in 97 and supported the Pats from 98/99.

Strathclyde Eagle 16-09-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
And yes I do, I acknowledge how bad the Rams are and how good the Cowboys have been.
Oi, we're every bit as bad as the Rams are. :hi: ;)

Didn't actually realise that the Rams haven't had a red zone possession so far this season until catching a bit of last night's PTI this morning.

elliott 16-09-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
I know the Jags haven't started so well, but watching one of their pre season games I found it quite amusing how Cleo Lemon actually looked fairly decent for them.

Looked a totally different QB to the one who was being slated week in, week out at Miami last season.

To be fair, this is the Cleo who also looked very reasonable in pre-season for Miami last year. Is that a reflection on Cleo's ability, or the meaninglessness of preseason football though?

jazman 16-09-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

And yes I do, I acknowledge how bad the Rams are and how good the Cowboys have been.
On the latter point, is that it for the Cowboys now then? :o

And where is Edenbridge Exile when you need him ... ;)

pauldrulez 16-09-2008 01:17 PM

I'm at work at the minute, but when I get home I will be giving my Week 2 thoughts on my blog ;)

And its completely unbiased as always.

AddiscombeEagle 16-09-2008 04:04 PM

I am pretty new to watching NFL (about a year). Now I am loving it, in fact I think at times I prefer it to the Premier League, however every so often I have a question and today is one of those days.

My understanding is the worst team in the league that year gets first pick in the draft. All well and good, but if a team is say 1 and 8 after nine games and has no chance of making the play offs, what is the incentive for them to win their remaining games rather than lose them and get a high pick in the draft?

nookiebear 16-09-2008 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of piccies from my weekend taken with my camera phone

One from my seat - nice view of the victory :)

nookiebear 16-09-2008 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another of that rubbish quarterback who can't handle the West Coast Offense ;)

Strathclyde Eagle 16-09-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
I am pretty new to watching NFL (about a year). Now I am loving it, in fact I think at times I prefer it to the Premier League, however every so often I have a question and today is one of those days.

My understanding is the worst team in the league that year gets first pick in the draft. All well and good, but if a team is say 1 and 8 after nine games and has no chance of making the play offs, what is the incentive for them to win their remaining games rather than lose them and get a high pick in the draft?

Arguably none. In fact "tanking" is part of the reason (from what I understand) that the NBA has a draft lottery. The lottery is weighted so that the teams with lowest records have a chance of getting the top pick, but they're not guaranteed it like teams in the NFL are.

There is the matter of professional pride, for what that is worth. A few years ago Houston and San Francisco played a game on the last day of the season where the team who lost would be guaranteed the first pick. We had quite a debate about that on here at the time. :)

Personally I think that deliberately trying to lose would be difficult to do. Too many players fighting for too few jobs in a career where there is no such thing as a guaranteed contract.

Also the wages/bonuses paid to high draft picks in recent years has led teams to shy away from trading for these picks, so the value of these seems to be diminishing somewhat. If a proposed rookie salary scheme (again similar to what the NBA has) comes into place I suspect that will change again.

jazman 16-09-2008 06:08 PM

Good response SE. I was waiting for someone to answer that one ... :p

nookiebear 16-09-2008 06:54 PM

OK, let's look at week three match-ups

Kansas v Atlanta should be a cracker ;)

Jags need a win at the Colts but won't get it

Steelers v Eagles should be also be a cracker

As for the Skins, I'm hoping they will dismantle the Cardinals - the Cards might be 2&0, but they've not played a decent team yet ;)

AddiscombeEagle 16-09-2008 07:09 PM

Thank you Strathclyde. Appreciated.

elliott 16-09-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Arguably none. In fact "tanking" is part of the reason (from what I understand) that the NBA has a draft lottery. The lottery is weighted so that the teams with lowest records have a chance of getting the top pick, but they're not guaranteed it like teams in the NFL are.

There is the matter of professional pride, for what that is worth. A few years ago Houston and San Francisco played a game on the last day of the season where the team who lost would be guaranteed the first pick. We had quite a debate about that on here at the time. :)

Personally I think that deliberately trying to lose would be difficult to do. Too many players fighting for too few jobs in a career where there is no such thing as a guaranteed contract.

Also the wages/bonuses paid to high draft picks in recent years has led teams to shy away from trading for these picks, so the value of these seems to be diminishing somewhat. If a proposed rookie salary scheme (again similar to what the NBA has) comes into place I suspect that will change again.

Good post. Good use of the phrase tanking too!

I find it quite interesting really. In Aussie rules (which operates a similar draft system) teams that have had a rubbish start, shamelessly "tank" after about 8 weeks.

A few years ago didn't Detroit win in the final week to lose their first pick of the round? Talk about a Pyrrhic victory!

jazman 16-09-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
OK, let's look at week three match-ups

Kansas v Atlanta should be a cracker ;)

Jags need a win at the Colts but won't get it

Steelers v Eagles should be also be a cracker

As for the Skins, I'm hoping they will dismantle the Cardinals - the Cards might be 2&0, but they've not played a decent team yet ;)

Predictions wise, I can't go with many away teams. In fact, only have two down to win away ....

pauldrulez 16-09-2008 09:15 PM

I have 3 away teams down for next week.

LLCOOLSTEVE 16-09-2008 10:31 PM

fantastic game last night!

jazman 16-09-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

I have 3 away teams down for next week.
Think I have two, being blinkered by the Cowboys being one ...

jlmatthews 17-09-2008 02:34 AM

Apparently Monday night's game had the biggest ever audience for a program on cable TV!

jazman 17-09-2008 09:42 AM

From looking at Romo's errors in the first half I think that Simpson woman was in the crowd fluttering her eyelashes at him! :o ... just lucky they didn't decide the game, very close though ... what was he doing by not touching for a safety in the end zone?

Strathclyde Eagle 17-09-2008 11:22 AM

Prime example of someone trying to do too much I'd say.

If anyone else is looking to setup a blog please setup one which purely catalogs safeties scored in NFL games. I find them oddly fascinating for some reason.