CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

wedgetail 19-06-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 13694647)
Totally ridiculous that your GP can tell you will lose 3 yrs of your life from eating cheese. If only diet and it's effects on the body was that simple...
I would have challenged him on his "findings" !!

Depends whether he is eating 100 g or 10 kg per day.

CedarEagle 19-06-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 13693177)
Citizen Khan

Beyond annoying with Count Arthur Strong

CedarEagle 19-06-2017 08:10 PM

The fact we don t have a manager yet.

Yoda 19-06-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil eagle (Post 13694523)
The medical profession and their obsession with extending life to itsee Nth degree.

Just saw my GP for results of a blood test taken because I have slightly high blood pressure. Apparently if I don't cut down on my cheese intake I may die upto 3 years earlier than my life expectancy which is apparently about 88. I bloody love cheese do will not cut down on it and if that means I have 3 years less when I'm at an age where I'm pissing myself and don't know who my daughter is then so be it.

My wife's aunt is a perfect example of the current stupidity of the medical profession. She's in her late 80's crippled with arthritis and has dementia. They've just discovered she has is also riddled with cancer. They are proposing 6 months of chemo and radiation therapy to add another year to her life. She can barely move and can't remember who her kids are why would you want to extend her life at all?

Without knowing the specific case, I suspect the doctor is just letting the family know what COULD be offered, which isn't the same as advocating that the aunt should go through it.

Doctors have been criticised for playing god with the elderly and denying them treatment that would routinely be offered to younger patients. If the patient has advised next of kin, especially those with power of attorney, that they don't want medical intervention beyond a certain point (e.g. do not resuscitate), they can advise the doctors and guide them accordingly.

People vary...I've met some who want every possible extra day of life whatever the quality, whereas others are the opposite. On this matter, doctors will either be guided by the patient if the patient is able to express their preference, or next of kin.

If I was your aunt's relative, I'd discuss with the doctors whether they really think my aunt could cope with 6 months of aggressive treatment, given her dementia. If it's going to be 6 months of hell for her for very little gain, if any, then all parties should consider what a more appropriate palliative care route would be.

Good luck.

cappuccinoeagle 19-06-2017 08:59 PM

This weather

civil eagle 19-06-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 13694653)
Depends whether he is eating 100 g or 10 kg per day.

10kg don't need silly it's more like 20kg.

Honestly it's probably no more than 100g

richdeniro 19-06-2017 09:21 PM

Drivers that seem to ignore give way and stop lines when pulling out onto main roads so that when they do come to a stop their bonnet is already halfway out of the junction forcing you to stop to let them go. Especially annoying when it isn't even a busy road and there isn't any cars behind you and it would have just been easier to pull out after you have passed them.

Also drivers that seem to take an age when turning left leaving the back end of their car hanging out as they crawl into the turning at 0.5mph.

art malice 19-06-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CedarEagle (Post 13694656)
Beyond annoying with Count Arthur Strong

I fvcking LOVE Count Arthur Strong. It treads a fine line, very finely
IMO.

Taking a fvcking hour to get through Stansted passport control at half past midnight. Piss poor.

Hedgehog 19-06-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil eagle (Post 13694523)
The medical profession and their obsession with extending life to itsee Nth degree.

Just saw my GP for results of a blood test taken because I have slightly high blood pressure. Apparently if I don't cut down on my cheese intake I may die upto 3 years earlier than my life expectancy which is apparently about 88. I bloody love cheese do will not cut down on it and if that means I have 3 years less when I'm at an age where I'm pissing myself and don't know who my daughter is then so be it.

My wife's aunt is a perfect example of the current stupidity of the medical profession. She's in her late 80's crippled with arthritis and has dementia. They've just discovered she has is also riddled with cancer. They are proposing 6 months of chemo and radiation therapy to add another year to her life. She can barely move and can't remember who her kids are why would you want to extend her life at all?

My Mother in law just turned 101. She just wants to die, but unfortunately appears to be indestructible. I fear she is up there with Cockroaches and Keith Richards when it comes to being indestructible.

She has been a bit of a health nut all her life... so now she is paying for that.

LN1 19-06-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 13694751)
Taking a fvcking hour to get through Stansted passport control at half past midnight. Piss poor.

Dubai takes the biscuit for me. Last time I landed at 0045hrs and managed to walk out the airport at 0410hrs! I'm sure people miss their flights home whilst waiting to leave the airport!?

LN1 19-06-2017 09:47 PM

Todays grumbles:

Staff at my local outdoor pursuits chain store....:veryangry

How all my lightweight summer clothes seems to have shrunk since last I wore them!

Drivers in front of you who climb all over the back of the car/truck in front of them but never actually overtake.

Oddjob 20-06-2017 09:45 AM

Walking past all the flowers and tributes at London Bridge last night.

1. People taking selfies in front of them, seriously?
2. Those selling 'lucky heather' or some such foliage, indicating its going to victim support, I'd wager its not.

Oddjob 20-06-2017 09:46 AM

Anybody who 'goes live' on FB.

Yesterday was nine minutes of my wife's best mates sister on a lounger in front of a pool.

Why?

sherstonpalace 20-06-2017 10:02 AM

Politicians who begin their answer to any question with the words "What I think is important.....". It is usually shorthand for "I have no intention of answering your question so I'll spin the party line instead."

Johnnieboy 20-06-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 13693810)
They are just politely inquiring whether you want anything for said weekend :)

Sadly, the only Johnnie I've seen in my barbers over the last few decades was me...

sirdougie 20-06-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LN1 (Post 13694805)
Dubai takes the biscuit for me. Last time I landed at 0045hrs and managed to walk out the airport at 0410hrs! I'm sure people miss their flights home whilst waiting to leave the airport!?


Sign up for their e-gates. Five minutes tops every time

Terrace Bickle 20-06-2017 10:56 AM

I've probably said this before, but photographs on emails. Maybe it's just where I work, but if I receive another email from a women with a pouty faced picture I think I'll explode with rage. What are they hoping to achieve by looking like a blow-up doll???

pallet 20-06-2017 11:33 AM

Pointless conversations with my wife, she phones me to tell she is going shopping and what would I like for dinner?
I reply I would like ...
Her: I am not cooking that
Me: What about ....
Her I am not cooking that either.
Me: What did you bother phoning to ask me then???:veryangry

art malice 20-06-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13695555)
Pointless conversations with my wife, she phones me to tell she is going shopping and what would I like for dinner?
I reply I would like ...
Her: I am not cooking that
Me: What about ....
Her I am not cooking that either.
Me: What did you bother phoning to ask me then???:veryangry

'Here's what you would have won'

saxoneagle 20-06-2017 12:31 PM

The ******* staff at our place, or maybe just ******* "millennials" in general.

"We don't have enough social events."
"We want more work flexibility."

*arranges a number of events, emails everyone, nobody replies to confirm they want to go*
*arranges flexible working hours so staff can have Friday afternoons off in the summer, emails staff for them to confirm who wants this, nobody replies*

**** them all.

Isle of Wight 20-06-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13695555)
Pointless conversations with my wife, she phones me to tell she is going shopping and what would I like for dinner?
I reply I would like ...
Her: I am not cooking that
Me: What about ....
Her I am not cooking that either.
Me: What did you bother phoning to ask me then???:veryangry

Must spread rep etc

:wallbash: I have so many conversations like that in my house.

andyocpfc 20-06-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13695555)
Pointless conversations with my wife, she phones me to tell she is going shopping and what would I like for dinner?

I reply I would like ...

Her: I am not cooking that

Me: What about ....

Her I am not cooking that either.

Me: What did you bother phoning to ask me then???:veryangry


Ha - the Mrs/partner ones are always a good one on here.

Here's my two. My partner can't a) seems to establish that there are various compartments to a dishwasher where certain plates and cutlery must go. And b) Assumes there is a man in there with a brush and a bin that physically cleans by hand as she will often load it straight from the table into the dishwasher without even a rinse meaning the filter gets blocked up and spreads the food that was on the plate all over the glasses and other dishes in there.

Nostrils 20-06-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 13695645)
Ha - the Mrs/partner ones are always a good one on here.

Here's my two. My partner can't a) seems to establish that there are various compartments to a dishwasher where certain plates and cutlery must go. And b) Assumes there is a man in there with a brush and a bin that physically cleans by hand as she will often load it straight from the table into the dishwasher without even a rinse meaning the filter gets blocked up and spreads the food that was on the plate all over the glasses and other dishes in there.

Blimey Andy, you sound like my wife :supergrin:

andyocpfc 20-06-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13695673)
Blimey Andy, you sound like my wife :supergrin:


[emoji23][emoji23]

It's one thing I'm particular about. That said, if I hang the washing up it's wrong and there's a right way to do it apparently and I lose interest and just chuck it anywhere on the line and clipped on by whatever means.

pallet 20-06-2017 01:19 PM

Our other current ongoing argument is that is complains that she has loads to clearing up to do after she get backs from dropping the kids off and school. Yet when I tell the children off for not putting things away or putting their bowls in the dishwasher she has a go at me for being grumpy.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 20-06-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 13695681)
[emoji23][emoji23]

It's one thing I'm particular about. That said, if I hang the washing up it's wrong and there's a right way to do it apparently and I lose interest and just chuck it anywhere on the line and clipped on by whatever means.

My washing-line skills are very much viewed with derision, too. How can there be right and wrong way?
Clothes, line, pegs : all off the ground = success - right?

andyocpfc 20-06-2017 01:30 PM

Ours isn't an argument re the dishwasher - I just don't understand how she can be so precise about how clothes should be hung in such a regimented order yet will toss a food coated saucepan upside down and inside out where probably the glasses are meant to go in the dishwasher. We have an understanding now, I load and unload the dishwasher and she hangs the washing - both happy! [emoji4]

andyocpfc 20-06-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe (Post 13695707)
My washing-line skills are very much viewed with derision, too. How can there be right and wrong way?

Clothes, line, pegs : all off the ground = success - right?


Agreed, if it dries it dries.

Wolfnipplechips 20-06-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13695555)
Pointless conversations with my wife, she phones me to tell she is going shopping and what would I like for dinner?
I reply I would like ...
Her: I am not cooking that
Me: What about ....
Her I am not cooking that either.
Me: What did you bother phoning to ask me then???:veryangry

You married to my Mrs. too Pallet?

I now resort to "whatever you like" after 17 years of marriage it's not worth the grief any more.

I'm sure I only get asked so she can tell me what I can't have.

Wolfnipplechips 20-06-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13695699)
Our other current ongoing argument is that is complains that she has loads to clearing up to do after she get backs from dropping the kids off and school. Yet when I tell the children off for not putting things away or putting their bowls in the dishwasher she has a go at me for being grumpy.

Yep. Same woman.

My wife goes off on one every three months or so about how much she does, and how nobody helps her around the house......then when you try to help out it's all wrong anyway.:p

pallet 20-06-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 13695750)
I'm sure I only get asked so she can tell me what I can't have.

Why didnt I think of that. Now I understand:D

KYLIE MINEAGLE 20-06-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13695673)
Blimey Andy, you sound like my wife :supergrin:

Snap.

elgin eagle 20-06-2017 01:46 PM

Hay fever. Eyes, nose, throat, sinuses. All fecked.

smileysmith 20-06-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 13695645)
Ha - the Mrs/partner ones are always a good one on here.

Here's my two. My partner can't a) seems to establish that there are various compartments to a dishwasher where certain plates and cutlery must go. And b) Assumes there is a man in there with a brush and a bin that physically cleans by hand as she will often load it straight from the table into the dishwasher without even a rinse meaning the filter gets blocked up and spreads the food that was on the plate all over the glasses and other dishes in there.

Mate, I've given up saying anything, and simply unpack and repack the dishwasher before I go to bed. The wife is apparently incapable of seeing the difference between cutlery,bowls,plates and mugs.


Another thing, my wife will get very cross if I try and speak to her while she is texting a mate etc.

However, if I am doing something , and I mean anything, including writing a letter for her etc, she'll happily witter away at me and expect me to have heard everything, even though I'm concentrating on something else and she is actually just repeating what she said ten seconds ago in a slightly different way.

I love her, but I'd love her so much more if she shut up.

ChiswickEagle 20-06-2017 02:02 PM

Many years ago I got the tumble dryer and washing machine mixed up and ended up with some beautifully dry but blue clothes. We have never had a row about domestic duties since as I am simply not trusted with them.

andyocpfc 20-06-2017 02:06 PM

Things that annoy you
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smileysmith (Post 13695788)
Mate, I've given up saying anything, and simply unpack and repack the dishwasher before I go to bed. The wife is apparently incapable of seeing the difference between cutlery,bowls,plates and mugs.


Another thing, my wife will get very cross if I try and speak to her while she is texting a mate etc.

However, if I am doing something , and I mean anything, including writing a letter for her etc, she'll happily witter away at me and expect me to have heard everything, even though I'm concentrating on something else and she is actually just repeating what she said ten seconds ago in a slightly different way.

I love her, but I'd love her so much more if she shut up.


Haha. The last paragraph actually made me laugh out loud.

I always get told I don't listen, when in fact I probably switch off yet oddly have no recollection at all of the conversation and yet she will say I replied and acknowledged her.

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiswickEagle (Post 13695812)
Many years ago I got the tumble dryer and washing machine mixed up and ended up with some beautifully dry but blue clothes. We have never had a row about domestic duties since as I am simply not trusted with them.

:D

mcmean 20-06-2017 02:11 PM

Social media

These self-obsessed morons who document every second of their life on social media, because they're so important and every must know what they're doing right now.

Selfies

Nostrils 20-06-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileysmith (Post 13695788)

However, if I am doing something , and I mean anything, including writing a letter for her etc, she'll happily witter away at me and expect me to have heard everything

She's not dictating the letter by any chance is she?

Mr Statto 20-06-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil eagle (Post 13694523)
The medical profession and their obsession with extending life to itsee Nth degree.

Just saw my GP for results of a blood test taken because I have slightly high blood pressure. Apparently if I don't cut down on my cheese intake I may die upto 3 years earlier than my life expectancy which is apparently about 88. I bloody love cheese do will not cut down on it and if that means I have 3 years less when I'm at an age where I'm pissing myself and don't know who my daughter is then so be it.

My wife's aunt is a perfect example of the current stupidity of the medical profession. She's in her late 80's crippled with arthritis and has dementia. They've just discovered she has is also riddled with cancer. They are proposing 6 months of chemo and radiation therapy to add another year to her life. She can barely move and can't remember who her kids are why would you want to extend her life at all?

I could cut most things, but never cheese

smileysmith 20-06-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 13695820)
Haha. The last paragraph actually made me laugh out loud.

I always get told I don't listen, when in fact I probably switch off yet oddly have no recollection at all of the conversation and yet she will say I replied and acknowledged her.

:D Yep me too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13695830)
She's not dictating the letter by any chance is she?

Ha haa - yeah right.

elgin eagle 20-06-2017 02:15 PM

Bagpipes. Would be having a nice break in the gardens if it wasn't for those noisy *****.

Mr Statto 20-06-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil eagle (Post 13694523)
The medical profession and their obsession with extending life to itsee Nth degree.

Just saw my GP for results of a blood test taken because I have slightly high blood pressure. Apparently if I don't cut down on my cheese intake I may die upto 3 years earlier than my life expectancy which is apparently about 88. I bloody love cheese do will not cut down on it and if that means I have 3 years less when I'm at an age where I'm pissing myself and don't know who my daughter is then so be it.

My wife's aunt is a perfect example of the current stupidity of the medical profession. She's in her late 80's crippled with arthritis and has dementia. They've just discovered she has is also riddled with cancer. They are proposing 6 months of chemo and radiation therapy to add another year to her life. She can barely move and can't remember who her kids are why would you want to extend her life at all?

And I'm sure Dad's health started to go downhill around the same time as he switched to low fat cheese to cut his cholesterol level

Icy 20-06-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddjob (Post 13695383)
Walking past all the flowers and tributes at London Bridge last night.

1. People taking selfies in front of them, seriously?

Thats nothing, i've seen people taking happy and pouty selfies at the gates in Auschwitz.

IpswichEagle 20-06-2017 02:49 PM

Politics. It annoys me.

All politicians. None of them are the saviour of the country and are all just as bad as each other. There is a dearth of actual innovation, that can be supported by realism. They annoy me.

The increasing over-polarisation of opinion that accompanies the above. In the last election a friend who had never shown political interest previously, suddenly became a Corbyn supporter because his fiance is a Labour supporter. Fine. But don't start aggressively preaching to others who hold different views, or no view at all. It is boring, you sound like a t*t and you actually don't know any of the policies anyway. You annoy me.

Channel 4 news interviews - overly aggressive and for little purpose. If something is a big topic, why do you think a 10 second answer is ever going to be enough and why try and interrupt every time? Don't blame people for declining your nonsensical interviews. It is annoying.

Social Media continuing to provide a platform for the publication of drivel. Pure annoyance.

The feeling of being less and less shocked as each terrorist / criminal act against innocents happens. Annoyingly uncomfortable.

Numbers in headlines - '5 reasons why you can't miss Eastenders', '17 ways you can avoid being blown up', '142 things you must know about cabbage'. When did this start, why is it all over every news portal...? So annoying.

Estate Agents. Not even annoying. Simply pointless.

Service charges and ground rent - paid for f*ck all service or ground. Annoying con.

Having to make sure you list every cough and sneeze on a Life Insurance proposal form, out of fear that they will one day pull it up and say it is a pre-existing condition. With medical advances these days, we probably all have some sort of medical condition. Frustratingly annoying.

That will do for now.

saxoneagle 20-06-2017 02:53 PM

Scottish conveyancers - they hassle you for info, you provide it and then they sit on it. You chase them and they don't respond.

Arseholes.

Wolfnipplechips 20-06-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13695842)
Bagpipes. Would be having a nice break in the gardens if it wasn't for those noisy *****.

Some bastard's playing the spoons next door down here mate.

Not so bad I suppose.

elgin eagle 20-06-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle (Post 13695945)
Scottish conveyancers - they hassle you for info, you provide it and then they sit on it. You chase them and they don't respond.

Arseholes.

You could have just stopped at Scottish.

elgin eagle 20-06-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 13695999)
Some bastard's playing the spoons next door down here mate.

Not so bad I suppose.

:)

They've stopped now mercifully. Probably gone down the pub. Impossible to tell the difference if they are rat arsed or not.

N Herts Eagle 20-06-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13695842)
Bagpipes. Would be having a nice break in the gardens if it wasn't for those noisy *****.

Strewth dont stay at Buckingham Palace some guy plays them every morning about 9am I think

TopKnot 20-06-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IpswichEagle (Post 13695932)
Numbers in headlines - '5 reasons why you can't miss Eastenders', '17 ways you can avoid being blown up', '142 things you must know about cabbage'. When did this start, why is it all over every news portal...? So annoying.


clickbait - basically it's advertising. Its been shown that list-type headlines like the ones you mention get high clickthroughs from people - they then link through to a very loosely editorial site with the list and about 2000 banner ads and popups.

Sites like buzzfeed made the list thing popular then it got monetized by the advertisers. It's annoying yes but also it pays for a lot of the content you see on the internet, so I just kind of put up with it.

elgin eagle 20-06-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 13696009)
Strewth dont stay at Buckingham Palace some guy plays them every morning about 9am I think

I think the odds of that happening are pretty high N Herts.

Terrace Bickle 20-06-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richdeniro (Post 13694750)
Drivers that seem to ignore give way and stop lines when pulling out onto main roads so that when they do come to a stop their bonnet is already halfway out of the junction forcing you to stop to let them go. Especially annoying when it isn't even a busy road and there isn't any cars behind you and it would have just been easier to pull out after you have passed them.

Also drivers that seem to take an age when turning left leaving the back end of their car hanging out as they crawl into the turning at 0.5mph.

****wits that park right on the road junction meaning that when you turn into a road you have to crawl in to avoid oncoming traffic. :)

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 10:31 PM

The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

Se9 eagles 20-06-2017 10:34 PM

West Ham fans that pretend they like jellied eels....

Se9 eagles 20-06-2017 10:35 PM

Oaky white wine.ugggh...

Payroll Legend 20-06-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

I also have no time for rugby Jim. It's a game for posh boys that were shit at football.

The Haka is unsporting. Imagine Phil "the power" Taylor doing that to Van Gerwen or O'Sullivan to Marco Fu. It's a disgrace.

evvo111 20-06-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

I have a feeling you wouldn't see 49 if you did that. They are quite large.

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evvo111 (Post 13696690)
I have a feeling you wouldn't see 49 if you did that. They are quite large.

I know, but still FFS they don't need to do a bloody war dance

evvo111 20-06-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696703)
I know, but still FFS they don't need to do a bloody war dance

There used to be a video on youtube of some women from Merthyr, who were pis*ed, doing the Haka. Now that was truly terrifying.

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payroll Legend (Post 13696686)
I also have no time for rugby Jim. It's a game for posh boys that were shit at football.
The Haka is unsporting. Imagine Phil "the power" Taylor doing that to Van Gerwen or O'Sullivan to Marco Fu. It's a disgrace.

Mate you are spot on about this. After my parents dragged me off to private school at 11 my football career was instantly curtailed. The only kids that were any good at sport refused to play rugby and were reluctantly allowed to play football. Very occasionally. I hated that fecking school

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evvo111 (Post 13696712)
There used to be a video on youtube of some women from Merthyr, who were pis*ed, doing the Haka. Now that was truly terrifying.

:D

ExiledStirling 20-06-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

I don't think I have ever read a post from you JC that I have ever disagreed with.... until now that is. The Haha is a great sporting spectacle.... only thing that let's it down is the 80 mins that follow :-)

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696729)
I don't think I have ever read a post from you JC that I have ever disagreed with.... until now that is. The Haha is a great sporting spectacle.... only thing that let's it down is the 80 mins that follow :-)

Why thank you sir. I just can't take it seriously, scarred by going to private school against my wishes and forced to mix with Rupert and co who loved their rugger (but were shit at it) and their upper class view of oiks that played football may have a lot to do with it

Worksop Palace 20-06-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696729)
I don't think I have ever read a post from you JC that I have ever disagreed with.... until now that is. The Haha is a great sporting spectacle.... only thing that let's it down is the 80 mins that follow :-)

Isn't the Haha seen at Selhurst. Usually against a side that hasn't won an away game for 13 years and only scored 1 goal in their last 31 games ?

Worksop Palace 20-06-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

Oh Jimbo

Usually such an eloquent poster.

The Haka is one of sports greatest traditions.

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 13696744)
Oh Jimbo

Usually such an eloquent poster.

The Haka is one of sports greatest traditions.

A tradition I grant you, but I can't stand it:D

ExiledStirling 20-06-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696737)
Why thank you sir. I just can't take it seriously, scarred by going to private school against my wishes and forced to mix with Rupert and co who loved their rugger (but were shit at it) and their upper class view of oiks that played football may have a lot to do with it

You and me both sent to a private school against our will and having to play rugby instead of football. The experience made me more left leaning and having a hatred of the hypocritical pomp and ceremony and feeling of being somehow better and more privileged than the plebs

Jim Cannon 20-06-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696751)
You and me both sent to a private school against our will and having to play rugby instead of football. The experience made me more left leaning and having a hatred of the hypocritical pomp and ceremony and feeling of being somehow better and more privileged than the plebs

The thing for me was, in the first term we were taught how to play the game. I hated it, but because I liked sport, I did try a bit. It was the 80-81 season when we were getting tonked to oblivion and one Friday the sports master came up to me and asked if I had checked who was in the rugby team to play on the Saturday. Of course I hadn't checked, because I didn't give a toss about it. Apparently I was on the bench. I told him I couldn't play because I was going to watch Palace. Rugby career over:D

Se9 eagles 20-06-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696751)
You and me both sent to a private school against our will and having to play rugby instead of football. The experience made me more left leaning and having a hatred of the hypocritical pomp and ceremony and feeling of being somehow better and more privileged than the plebs

Agreed but what about all the socialist politicians like Hartman sending their kids to private school.Gross hypocrisy.....

ExiledStirling 20-06-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 13696738)
Isn't the Haha seen at Selhurst. Usually against a side that hasn't won an away game for 13 years and only scored 1 goal in their last 31 games ?

Oops!!!

ExiledStirling 21-06-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696756)
The thing for me was, in the first term we were taught how to play the game. I hated it, but because I liked sport, I did try a bit. It was the 80-81 season when we were getting tonked to oblivion and one Friday the sports master came up to me and asked if I had checked who was in the rugby team to play on the Saturday. Of course I hadn't checked, because I didn't give a toss about it. Apparently I was on the bench. I told him I couldn't play because I was going to watch Palace. Rugby career over:D

You lucky bastard !! Like you hated Rugby at school and at the beginning of the season you were either put in the squad for team selection or the crap group who they were just killing time for. I obviously wanted the latter. Only got picked as winger for the first school match so got stuck in the former for the season!!

Martin H 21-06-2017 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696846)
You lucky bastard !! Like you hated Rugby at school and at the beginning of the season you were either put in the squad for team selection or the crap group who they were just killing time for. I obviously wanted the latter. Only got picked as winger for the first school match so got stuck in the former for the season!!

I was picked out of the blue for a match and had to buy a book to learn the rules on the morning of the match. Future selections were easily avoided when during the match, faced with the opposing giant pack bearing down on me I turned to my Captain, oh Captain and gave him the Mother of all hospital passes. He was a mate and did eventually talk to me again (when he could eat food etc without a straw) but it was the end of the Rugby and I could start playing in the football team again which was just as well as we had a great season. Ahhh the memories.....

ExiledStirling 21-06-2017 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13696899)
I was picked out of the blue for a match and had to buy a book to learn the rules on the morning of the match. Future selections were easily avoided when during the match, faced with the opposing giant pack bearing down on me I turned to my Captain, oh Captain and gave him the Mother of all hospital passes. He was a mate and did eventually talk to me again (when he could eat food etc without a straw) but it was the end of the Rugby and I could start playing in the football team again which was just as well as we had a great season. Ahhh the memories.....

:supergrin:
:lux:

Hedgehog 21-06-2017 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 13695645)
Ha - the Mrs/partner ones are always a good one on here.

Here's my two. My partner can't a) seems to establish that there are various compartments to a dishwasher where certain plates and cutlery must go. And b) Assumes there is a man in there with a brush and a bin that physically cleans by hand as she will often load it straight from the table into the dishwasher without even a rinse meaning the filter gets blocked up and spreads the food that was on the plate all over the glasses and other dishes in there.

My wife is the complete opposite. She washes all the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher (which we do not use that often as there are only the 2 of us) to the point of you may as well just finish the job and dry them and put them up.

Olympian2 21-06-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 13696922)
My wife is the complete opposite. She washes all the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher (which we do not use that often as there are only the 2 of us) to the point of you may as well just finish the job and dry them and put them up.

LOL - does she also make sure the house is spotless and tidy just before the cleaner arrives?

Jim Cannon 21-06-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13696846)
You lucky bastard !! Like you hated Rugby at school and at the beginning of the season you were either put in the squad for team selection or the crap group who they were just killing time for. I obviously wanted the latter. Only got picked as winger for the first school match so got stuck in the former for the season!!

Hooker they wanted me for. I just kicked out in the scrum and smuggled the ball out any way possible:supergrin:

ChiswickEagle 21-06-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

Watch the Welsh stare the Haka down on this clip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYIUdVNFgU -

brilliant stuff.

As for rugby players being hard, I think we all know that rugby is a ridiculously physical game, I remain surprised how they even get up from some hits.

saxoneagle 21-06-2017 02:19 PM

The Haka at the U20 WC was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0tvlVAyT0

France removed to break ranks at the end and the ref got a bit annoyed with them all! Go to 1:30 in!

saxoneagle 21-06-2017 02:23 PM

And as for annoying: the idea that rugby is restricted to private schools... the percentage of players at the top level in England who went to private schools have decreased for 5 years in a row, I believe.

And in Wales, NZ, SA it's a public game, barely a private schoolboy in sight.

ChiswickEagle 21-06-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle (Post 13697507)
And as for annoying: the idea that rugby is restricted to private schools... the percentage of players at the top level in England who went to private schools have decreased for 5 years in a row, I believe.

And in Wales, NZ, SA it's a public game, barely a private schoolboy in sight.

Next you'll be telling everyone that not all rugby fans wear red trousers or are called Rupert..

smileysmith 21-06-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiswickEagle (Post 13697558)
Next you'll be telling everyone that not all rugby fans wear red trousers or are called Rupert..

Thought that was Brighton fans?

danpalace07 21-06-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13696674)
The Haka. I can't stand Rugby but for all you rugby lovers, is this rubbish seriously meant to be intimidating? I thought Rugby players were all meant to be hard? If I was about to play a match and saw the opposition doing that nonsense I would be laughing at them.

What's more annoying is how butthurt the Kiwi fans get if a team challenges the Haka or ignores it. Jog on you arrogant dicks

Selhurst Celtic 21-06-2017 04:53 PM

If you are not even remotely Maori & perform the Haka, giving it all the sticking out your tongue and slapping your chest bollocks, then you are an absolute penis and need to have a look at yourself.

And as for these digits:


Bryan 21-06-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiswickEagle (Post 13697558)
Next you'll be telling everyone that not all rugby fans wear red trousers or are called Rupert..

No, there are also a few jocks who wear skirts and are called Rory and Dougal

art malice 22-06-2017 04:02 PM

The new SouthEastern announcement that goes 'hello. Hello? Aha got your attention.'

Yes you did, you Gary Glitter-impersonating wanker.

davech 23-06-2017 03:44 PM

Krispy Kreme Donuts.

1.70? Is that for three? One??????? :eek: That's one third of my daily food budget ffs!

You can do one - p*ss off!!!

BR5 Eagle 23-06-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 13701732)
Krispy Kreme Donuts.

1.70? Is that for three? One??????? :eek: That's one third of my daily food budget ffs!

You can do one - p*ss off!!!

One third of your calories too!

davech 23-06-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR5 Eagle (Post 13701735)
One third of your calories too!

Never actually bought one (not close enough to a stomach pump).

Same goes for the sushi stall next to it in Croydon. Sushi. 5 for a tiny bit of raw fish. What is that all about?

Mr Mojo Risin 23-06-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 13701732)
Krispy Kreme Donuts.

1.70? Is that for three? One??????? :eek: That's one third of my daily food budget ffs!

You can do one - p*ss off!!!

On a similar theme, shrinkflation. Not sure whether it is the nanny state health Nazis or increases in the price of cocoa but chocolate bars are pathetically small these days and about twice the price they used to be.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 23-06-2017 10:59 PM

People filming on their phones at live gigs especially at a festival like Glastonbury. F*CK off you drippy *****.

N Herts Eagle 23-06-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 13701732)
Krispy Kreme Donuts.

1.70? Is that for three? One??????? :eek: That's one third of my daily food budget ffs!

You can do one - p*ss off!!!

Dont, went in to Lincoln today, been a long week and she who must be obeyed has been a rock. So decided to treat her she loves cakes so decided we go for coffee and a patisserie. When I told her she was really delighted.
I have to say the cost was horrendous 4 a cake but worse service was atrocious the cake was awful. Let alone there was nothing to eat the cake with when we asked was given a knife and fork (no not a cake fork).
Just annoys me just occasionally I like a treat something just that bit special happy to pay for it but this was taking the p*** big time.

elgin eagle 23-06-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 13702547)
Dont, went in to Lincoln today, been a long week and she who must be obeyed has been a rock. So decided to treat her she loves cakes so decided we go for coffee and a patisserie. When I told her she was really delighted.
I have to say the cost was horrendous 4 a cake but worse service was atrocious the cake was awful. Let alone there was nothing to eat the cake with when we asked was given a knife and fork (no not a cake fork).
Just annoys me just occasionally I like a treat something just that bit special happy to pay for it but this was taking the p*** big time.

Beautiful. To think I nearly went to bed without reading this.

Eagle's Nest 23-06-2017 11:21 PM

I went to private school and always loved rugby. When I arrived at 8 years old the other kids saw football as a chavvy game but I got them into it and eventually we'd have a kickabout every spare minute of the day. We'd play in the quad and out on the rugby pitch or we'd play with a tennis ball in the gym.

I've never understood why people choose to hate certain sports. I think I'd watch any of it. And I appreciated, even at a young age, how lucky I was to be playing properly organised and coached sport while kids in state schools might see their playing field being sold off.

N Herts Eagle 24-06-2017 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13702558)
Beautiful. To think I nearly went to bed without reading this.

:p

Oddjob 24-06-2017 12:29 AM

Leicester Square

The place is a toilet

Oddjob 24-06-2017 12:31 AM

The Lions

Don't care, just one of those times when everyone pretends to enjoy rugby to look cool, see also the six nations.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 24-06-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddjob (Post 13702737)
The Lions

Don't care, just one of those times when everyone pretends to enjoy rugby to look cool, see also the six nations.

...or maybe because it's meaningful top level sport. No one sees me being cool in my living room anyway.

Payroll Legend 24-06-2017 12:42 AM

I couldn't give a flying one for the rugger. I've witnessed the odd initiation ceremony & its hooray Henry elitist entitled posh boy nonsense at its worst.

The game itself is a lot of rolling around on the floor and kicking the ball into the crowd. Exciting stuff.

BERT'S HEAD 24-06-2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payroll Legend (Post 13702756)
I couldn't give a flying one for the rugger. I've witnessed the odd initiation ceremony & its hooray Henry elitist entitled posh boy nonsense at its worst.

The game itself is a lot of rolling around on the floor and kicking the ball into the crowd. Exciting stuff.

Though it must be scary when 15 giant dudes start doing the fearsome Hogi dance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.