CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Grim Reaper 03-12-2007 01:29 PM

Also interesting that Gibbs didn't know his defense would start with 10 men.

It was arranged by the defensive co-ordinator and the players

elliott 03-12-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Also interesting that Gibbs didn't know his defense would start with 10 men.

It was arranged by the defensive co-ordinator and the players

This surprises me because I knew it and I'm thousands of miles away and don't support the Skins.

Benzhiyi 03-12-2007 03:04 PM

Great post from the (temporary) Finheaven board aimed at those who want Cameron fired. I agree with nigh-on every word...

You DO NOT build a team through free agency, this approach has never and will never work long term.

You DO build through the draft. When you need, in no particular order, defensive tackle, edge pass rusher, middle linebacker, #1 corner (because despite your obvious fine scouting and evaluation skills, Will Allen is a top flight #2 corner in this league), another safety, tight end, guard, right tackle, wide receiver, tight end and MAYBE quarterback you can not expect a "quick fix".

This bottoming out has been years in the making. Dave Wannstedt wrecked this franchise with 5 years of horrible player management and talent evaluation. Something that took 5 years to happen can not be fixed by signing a couple of big named free agents.

We need 3 very good drafts. The bottom half of the roster consists of players that don't belong in the league and the top half are backups or too old to rely upon going forward (with some exceptions of course). We need to DRAFT our own Pro Bowl players. We need to take what we started this year (Ginn and Satele) and do it about 5 times better. We need 10 new starters and the depth needs to be rebuilt from nothing. You can't change 25-30 roster spots in free agency.

I DO believe that adding a couple of top end starters on defense via free agency can and should be done. Signing a quality cover corner is priority #1. ASOMUGHA (if you are going to write a long post about what you need to do to fix the team at least take a second to learn the name of the best corner in football not named Champ) would be a coup. I think Samual or Trufant should be in our crosshairs but, the state of this franchise dictates we will have to overpay. Jared Allen should also be at the top of our list or maybe Justin Smith.

That said, our venture into free agency should be about adding depth, cheap depth. We are basically an expansion franchise. When you are starting from nothing you build through the draft. We needs picks, lots of them.

Our pick should not be held at all costs. We should consider taking less then "chart value" for trading the pick, as long as we stay in the top 5-7 we should look at taking less to move down. One player will not fix this mess. We should be looking at the '09 draft and getting a ton of picks for that draft just as much as we are looking at the upcoming draft. We're going to be picking in the top 5 for 2-3 more years anyway so we should get what we can for the future right now.

nookiebear 03-12-2007 06:13 PM

Interesting feature about Joe Gibbs' play-calling at the end of the game yesterday after a very difficult week

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120202163.html

Agree with the sentiment that you can't really come down too hard on him after the week the Skins have had, but it really was a stupid thing to not even know the rules (I know that and I've never played the game) and it's not the only stupid decision he's made this season

elliott 03-12-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
We should be looking at the '09 draft and getting a ton of picks for that draft just as much as we are looking at the upcoming draft. We're going to be picking in the top 5 for 2-3 more years anyway so we should get what we can for the future right now.
Completely correct.

My needs for the Dolphins (without much thought admittedly):

WR (x2, desperate. Get rid of Booker & Hagan asap - literally tomorrow if possible!.)
LG (pretty desperate)
TE (pretty desperate)
CB
RT
DT (soooo soooo old!)
DE (as above)
MLB (and again)
OLB (replace Joey)
S (our first two aren't particularly bad. The problem is that we haven't had our first two!)
RB (this is interesting because our first choice backfield is pretty tidy [Ronnie, Ricky, Chatman], but that has been decimated this year. )

LLCOOLSTEVE 03-12-2007 09:37 PM

I fear for the Ravens tonight

saxoneagle 03-12-2007 09:38 PM

I hope so!

Although, I'm going to see them against the Colts next week and hope they win then!

Strathclyde Eagle 03-12-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elliott
Completely correct.

WR (x2, desperate. Get rid of Booker & Hagan asap - literally tomorrow if possible!.)
LG (pretty desperate)
TE (pretty desperate)
CB
RT
DT (soooo soooo old!)
DE (as above)
MLB (and again)
OLB (replace Joey)
S (our first two aren't particularly bad. The problem is that we haven't had our first two!)
RB (this is interesting because our first choice backfield is pretty tidy [Ronnie, Ricky, Chatman], but that has been decimated this year. )

So that's every position then. :sob:

LLCOOLSTEVE 04-12-2007 04:56 AM

Ravens playing really well !

Hedgehog 04-12-2007 05:06 AM

Kyle Boller went to our local high school and is a local lad. He bought his parents a nice house out here, and I work with a few guys whose kids played with him on the High School team.

Seems pretty down to earth from what they tell me.

jazman 04-12-2007 10:01 AM

Managed to finally catch up with the Cowboys v Packers game last night as I've managed to avoid the result.

Great result for the Cowboys, but it was a tough game. We looked as though we were going to rout the Packers especially as Favre was having a poor game (continuing his bad form at Texas Stadium). Impressed with his replacement though when he got injured, he got their offence working as it has done all season which weirdly Favre had failed to do until he got injured. Romo was awesome once again, but the Cowboys started to falter a little in the 2nd half, a little worryingly. But a big result all the same. Good game. :p

Benzhiyi 04-12-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Completely correct.

LG (pretty desperate)
TE (pretty desperate)
CB
RT
DT (soooo soooo old!)
DE (as above)
MLB (and again)
OLB (replace Joey)

Amazingly, a lot of fans want us to take Brohm or McFadden with the first pick. That's totally insane, because the Falcons will be desperate to trade up for Brohm given the Petrino connection, and half the NFL would love to have McFadden. We can get three decent picks for that numero uno, and I'd rather take them and stick with Beck and Brown for next season at least. If Beck doesn't have it next year we'll still be drafting high, and that's when we go after another QB. Not this year.

Strathclyde Eagle 04-12-2007 01:04 PM

People want us to take Brohm? He's had a pretty poor senior year at Louisville.

(Brief aside while discussing the Dolphins and College Football: When everyone last week was suggesting that West Virginia would put 60 on Wannstedt's Pittsburgh I was hoping they would. Yet the flukey mustachioed one didn't just avoid a drubbing, he picked up a W. And an extension! He has to have some incriminating photos tucked away of someone important, either of the Pitt athletic director or the referees in the Big East.)

I wouldn't go for a RB or QB. I'd steer clear of WRs too. We need picks to help the defence so I'm hoping we trade down, but then that was a possiblity the year we got Ronnie Brown and a deal never happened.

Nice to see the fans being such a force for change. When you don't care you get what you deserve. Remember when Palace got relegated on that Monday night against Moan Utd? The fans roused the team and showed love for them anyway. Most fans in Miami don't care.

Personally I think the team is lost at every level, from the owner down. When the Cardinals lose year-upon-year the media blames the Bidwells. When the Lions repeatedly stink the media blames the Ford family. When the Dolphins go six seasons without going to the play-offs even the South Florida media gives a pass to the man who oversees this all. The man who puts in new HD screens for visiting fans to watch their team run up the score, and who is so hungry for whatever money he can get he sold the stadium name so that his late/great predecessor's name is taken off it.

Management is abysmal - how can you go winless in a league which seeks parity for all teams? The coaching is shocking (always nice to see that Ginn, 1 rush for -1 yard in the box score every week - the reverse never works!) and the players are passionless quitters. The only professional parts of the franchise are the cheerleaders :love: and the play-by-play announcer who was clear and accurate at Wembley (I'm waiting for him to pull a "Necessary Roughness" trick though).

The only way next season is any fun at all is if we draft a few local guys from the U. At least they know how to defend their home field, have a bit of fight in them and hopefully get a bit of support behind them.

Revised guesses at lines for trips to New England:
Jets: -27.5
Dolphins: -41.5

If we take a knee every down we're in possession to run the clock we might keep the Pats below 80.

I've said that if any team of mine signed Michael Vick I'd stop supporting them. I almost hope that idiot Huizenga has the number of the Virginia Department of Corrections.

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 01:45 PM

Another great Patriots match last night and another worthy opponent - have the opposition stepped up or have the Pats eased off a little?

Having watched Philly and now Baltimore run the Pats close in the last two matches, I really believe teams are working out how to play us.

The end of the game was just bizarre.

4th down and Ravens call a t.o. just before the snap and Lewis followed the play and made a tackle for a loss. On the legit play, Brady scrambles for about 13 and a 1st.

The next 4th down and the Patriots get a holding penalty in the end zone and half the distance to the goal with another 1st.

Twice they'd "lost" the ball and got it back, both legit.

By this time though, the Ravens were peeved and when NE scored with 44 seconds left a penalty was given for unsportsmanlike on a Raven who then threw a hissy fit and threw the flag into the crowd! A 15yd penalty became TWO 15yd penalties! To compound it, Reed tried to rush the kicker and was offside.

At the kick off, NE kicked off from the BALTIMORE 35! Gostkowski just hammered it through the end zone.

So, 44 seconds, 80 yards. Or 55-ish for a tying FG. Boller made a good first play but it was down the middle of the field and in the hurry-up offence, they got confused and wasted about 10-12 seconds. Another play down the middle and the final time out used with 12 seconds left.

Strangely, Boller threw down the middle again with no time to get the kicker on and no time outs left. Fortunately, the pass was incomplete.

The final pass and Boller threw a Hail Mary and amazingly the Ravens caught it... on the ONE yard line. One yard short of beating NE.

Was gutted for the Ravens who had played so well but happy for the Pats and the march to 19-0!

What a finish!

Strathclyde Eagle 04-12-2007 02:05 PM

:D

I like the Ravens' D. They're both good (usually, anyway) and amusing.

Pity their head coach and offence repeatedly stink.

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 02:17 PM

Ravens D was excellent last night and they deserved better. Hope they get better against the Colts.

LLCOOLSTEVE 04-12-2007 02:26 PM

The Pats were so lucky last night, It was amusing to watch the reaction of the Ravens players when the coach called TO just as the 4th down play unfolded and they stopped Brady on 4th and 1 only to find their own coach had called the TO to lose them the game :D

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 03:06 PM

And the stop on the 4th down where the whistle had already gone for a false start by the NE guard!

LLCOOLSTEVE 04-12-2007 03:10 PM

the holding penalty was ridiculous too, hardly any contact

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
the holding penalty was ridiculous too, hardly any contact
Not sure I agree; he grabbed his shoulder enough to turn him sideways. Not sure it was holding but it was definitely illegal contact and the commentators seemed to agree.

Benzhiyi 04-12-2007 04:03 PM

I don't disagree with you Saxon, but there were numerous more obviously penalties against New England which simply weren't given. (Perhaps if the officials protected Boller like they did Brady the result wouldn't have even gone to the wire...)

I said last season that NE reminded me of Chelsea, and it's an even more fitting comparison now that Brady rants at the officials, John Terry style, anytime an opposition player comes within five yards of him. He's an incredible quarterback who absolutely deserves this season's MVP award and a spot in Canton one day, so it's galling to him resort to whinging at the zebras every two minutes.

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 04:46 PM

I actually think Brady moans more when someone hits a receiver. You rarely see him moan when it is actually him that is hit.

Although I did see him rip into Matt Light when he allowed a LB to run round him for a second consecutive sack in the 4th Q!

Hedgehog 04-12-2007 04:51 PM

Itís interesting that Joe Gibbs also screwed up at the weekend (Not that I think Brian Billick actually screwed upÖ the play was dead) by calling two time-outs in a row to ice the Bills kicker, which resulted in a penalty. Reducing the field goal from 51 yards to 36 yards, which the Bills kicker duly made, and winning the game for them.

He admitted after the game he either forgot the rule, or didnít in fact even know of it, which sounded odd for such a veteran coach. In his defense the law was only changed a couple of years ago while he was out of coaching.

Strathclyde Eagle 04-12-2007 04:53 PM

The Pats get where they are by being smart. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep records on what referees call what, how to discuss calls with them, etc.

Personally I'm very surprised that two consecutive opponents have run them very close.

elliott 04-12-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
People want us to take Brohm? He's had a pretty poor senior year at Louisville.

(Brief aside while discussing the Dolphins and College Football: When everyone last week was suggesting that West Virginia would put 60 on Wannstedt's Pittsburgh I was hoping they would. Yet the flukey mustachioed one didn't just avoid a drubbing, he picked up a W. And an extension! He has to have some incriminating photos tucked away of someone important, either of the Pitt athletic director or the referees in the Big East.)

I wouldn't go for a RB or QB. I'd steer clear of WRs too. We need picks to help the defence so I'm hoping we trade down, but then that was a possiblity the year we got Ronnie Brown and a deal never happened.

Nice to see the fans being such a force for change. When you don't care you get what you deserve. Remember when Palace got relegated on that Monday night against Moan Utd? The fans roused the team and showed love for them anyway. Most fans in Miami don't care.

Personally I think the team is lost at every level, from the owner down. When the Cardinals lose year-upon-year the media blames the Bidwells. When the Lions repeatedly stink the media blames the Ford family. When the Dolphins go six seasons without going to the play-offs even the South Florida media gives a pass to the man who oversees this all. The man who puts in new HD screens for visiting fans to watch their team run up the score, and who is so hungry for whatever money he can get he sold the stadium name so that his late/great predecessor's name is taken off it.

Management is abysmal - how can you go winless in a league which seeks parity for all teams? The coaching is shocking (always nice to see that Ginn, 1 rush for -1 yard in the box score every week - the reverse never works!) and the players are passionless quitters. The only professional parts of the franchise are the cheerleaders :love: and the play-by-play announcer who was clear and accurate at Wembley (I'm waiting for him to pull a "Necessary Roughness" trick though).

The only way next season is any fun at all is if we draft a few local guys from the U. At least they know how to defend their home field, have a bit of fight in them and hopefully get a bit of support behind them.

Revised guesses at lines for trips to New England:
Jets: -27.5
Dolphins: -41.5

If we take a knee every down we're in possession to run the clock we might keep the Pats below 80.

I've said that if any team of mine signed Michael Vick I'd stop supporting them. I almost hope that idiot Huizenga has the number of the Virginia Department of Corrections.

agree with all of that. h w huizenga has to sell up. its embarrasing.

and the end around reverse never works because they fake it on the play before! just to warn the d to get ready for it!!! it's meant to take advantage of a sleeping backside contain!!!

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

The Pats get where they are by being smart. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep records on what referees call what, how to discuss calls with them, etc.

Personally I'm very surprised that two consecutive opponents have run them very close.

You also have to note that just about every team now mentions Moss pushing-off in their pre-match ambles. Some coaches have even asked the players to keep "talking" to the officials about it.

Result - Moss has been called for offensive pass interference in, I think, 3 of the last 4 games after going 8 without a call against him.

It's not just the Pats that are smart of their use of officials!

Strathclyde Eagle 04-12-2007 05:24 PM

The Colts started that in week 9 didn't they? Another very smart team.

Jaguars players were complaining that they didn't get any calls on Sunday, making accusations about Colts' GM Bill Polian.

Biggest officiating story of the weekend for me was Kellen Winslow's possible game-winning catch in Arizona ruled out-of-bounds. The replay I saw clearly seemed to show him being forced out of the end zone by two defenders. Last thing the Browns needed in a play-off chase.

jazman 04-12-2007 05:35 PM

Am I right in saying that tha Patriots won it late on? I thought I saw on the sports news the opposing coach thumb down to Brady who then led a TD i.e. he was incinuation the Pats were saying goodbye to their unbeaten record ... ??

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

The Colts started that in week 9 didn't they? Another very smart team.

Jaguars players were complaining that they didn't get any calls on Sunday, making accusations about Colts' GM Bill Polian.

Biggest officiating story of the weekend for me was Kellen Winslow's possible game-winning catch in Arizona ruled out-of-bounds. The replay I saw clearly seemed to show him being forced out of the end zone by two defenders. Last thing the Browns needed in a play-off chase.

Winslow was pushed. No doubt. Could cost Cleveland a wild card spot.

saxoneagle 04-12-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman
Am I right in saying that tha Patriots won it late on? I thought I saw on the sports news the opposing coach thumb down to Brady who then led a TD i.e. he was incinuation the Pats were saying goodbye to their unbeaten record ... ??
44 seconds left when NE scored to go 3 points ahead, their first lead of the game!

Grim Reaper 04-12-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Winslow was pushed. No doubt. Could cost Cleveland a wild card spot.
What goes around comes around.

Those fukcers did exactly the same to the Jets on the last play of the game last season to hold on for 20-13. Chris Baker blatantly pushed out but because it was a non-reviewable call, the Jets got sh@t on and didn't get the TD they legitimately deserved as did my pocket as I had Jets to get more than 17 points!! :veryangry

The good thing is it didn't stop the Jets marching to the play offs as No.1 wildcard for the AFC :lux: but this one may cost the Browns :p :D

Grim Reaper 04-12-2007 08:50 PM

With regards to the lengthy and accurate post re. Miami, it warms my heart to see them suffer but do you know what? It won't last. Their time will come.

When I got into NFL Buffalo were 2-14 - less than a decade later they'd been in 4 Superbowls. I'm still waiting for the Jets to make ONE (in my lifetime)

Every team goes through a good and bad cycle every few years or so (apart from the Jets who go from good to bad in alternate years - roll on 2008!!!)

Have no fear Miami fans - the Dumphins will be back (although I hope their their losing run to NYJ carries on) and the Pats will become a 2-14 team soon enough

Strathclyde Eagle 04-12-2007 09:43 PM

Not until Huizenga sells. He's the tarpaulin across this shanty town.

joyce the voice 05-12-2007 05:59 AM

The Pats got very very lucky this week. However the Ravens should have known they would try a quarterback sneak on 4th and 1--that's what they always do. The pass interference call was questionable, though they often are; the touchdown looked 95% good to me. But as ever the pats don't make mistakes down the stretch--field goals are made, discipline is kept, tackles are made (how well did Harrison play in the fourth quarter!)

I think however that the unbeaten record goes this week--they have a short week, and Pittsburgh are always tough. If they do lose, they take out their frustration on the Jets the next week--oof!

Grim Reaper 05-12-2007 08:37 AM

I tell you now, the Jets are gonna kick the Patriots' asses so hard Brady won't be able to sit down for a week.

40-13 v the Dumphins was merely the warm up.

jazman 05-12-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

With regards to the lengthy and accurate post re. Miami, it warms my heart to see them suffer but do you know what? It won't last. Their time will come.

When I got into NFL Buffalo were 2-14 - less than a decade later they'd been in 4 Superbowls. I'm still waiting for the Jets to make ONE (in my lifetime)

Every team goes through a good and bad cycle every few years or so (apart from the Jets who go from good to bad in alternate years - roll on 2008!!!)

Have no fear Miami fans - the Dumphins will be back (although I hope their their losing run to NYJ carries on) and the Pats will become a 2-14 team soon enough

I agree .. the Cowboys had been on a downer until their resurgence last season ...

saxoneagle 05-12-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

I tell you now, the Jets are gonna kick the Patriots' asses so hard Brady won't be able to sit down for a week.

40-13 v the Dumphins was merely the warm up.

I'll be reminding you of this post in a couple of weeks... :D

saxoneagle 05-12-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by joyce the voice
The Pats got very very lucky this week. However the Ravens should have known they would try a quarterback sneak on 4th and 1--that's what they always do. The pass interference call was questionable, though they often are; the touchdown looked 95% good to me. But as ever the pats don't make mistakes down the stretch--field goals are made, discipline is kept, tackles are made (how well did Harrison play in the fourth quarter!)

I think however that the unbeaten record goes this week--they have a short week, and Pittsburgh are always tough. If they do lose, they take out their frustration on the Jets the next week--oof!

Out of the Eagles, Ravens and Steelers, I'd picked the Steelers as being the toughest of the three so given the last two weeks, next week will be another tight one.

I land in Baltimore about an hour before that match kicks-off so I'll find a bar near the Ravens stadium and watch the Pats before the late game.

I might have to make a trip to NE in January to see the Pats play this season... if the missus lets me... :(

saxoneagle 05-12-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Have no fear Miami fans - the Dumphins will be back (although I hope their their losing run to NYJ carries on) and the Pats will become a 2-14 team soon enough [/B]
I'm not sure anyone will be as bad as Miami this season :D

Benzhiyi 06-12-2007 01:13 PM

This is berrrr-rilliant:

http://www.theonion.com/content/info...bill_belichick

Strathclyde Eagle 06-12-2007 01:20 PM

"Rare childhood disorder left him unable to shake hands" :D

elliott 06-12-2007 04:04 PM

Nat Coombs is now my facebook friend. You'd never get Halling doing that!

elliott 06-12-2007 07:33 PM

I've just been informed that Cam Cam wasn't calling the plays on Sunday against the Jets.

Guess who was!!!

The offensive genius, your friend and mine, Mike Mularky.

No wonder it sucked so bad.

Grim Reaper 06-12-2007 08:10 PM

So which freak result is it to be? Jets beating New England or Miami. You just know one of them will do it. That's the way this sport works.

Grim Reaper 06-12-2007 08:13 PM

Anyone here do the Fantasy on Sky Sports?

Thought I'd done well last week what with having LT and a few other decent performances but yet again I ranked in the 4000s.

How the hell do people get scores of 120+???

It's not like I pick dumbos - regularly have Randy Moss, LT, Houshmanzadeh, Minnesota defence (best one) and a steady kicker in Rob Bironas, yet just once got over 100.

Which magical players am I overlooking for heaven's sake

(Note: Finally remembered to make space for Adrian Peterson this week, maybe that will help)

Strathclyde Eagle 06-12-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

I've just been informed that Cam Cam wasn't calling the plays on Sunday against the Jets.

Guess who was!!!

The offensive genius, your friend and mine, Mike Mularky.

No wonder it sucked so bad.

Oh good grief.

(I so badly want the bash smiley back at this moment. However, for the greater good I will do without it.)
Quote:

Thought I'd done well last week what with having LT and a few other decent performances but yet again I ranked in the 4000s.

It's not like I pick dumbos - regularly have Randy Moss, LT, Houshmanzadeh, Minnesota defence (best one) and a steady kicker in Rob Bironas, yet just once got over 100.

(Note: Finally remembered to make space for Adrian Peterson this week, maybe that will help)

I've not tried it. Keep meaning to, and then hope for a lucky week and a nice prize.

saxoneagle 06-12-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Don't they just give you a list of all the top points scorers for the previous week? Put together the best team you can based on last weeks performance and see who you should've picked ;)

saxoneagle 07-12-2007 12:59 AM

I hate NFL Network :grrr: :veryangry

nookiebear 07-12-2007 11:24 AM

Good win for Skins but looks like Campbell is out for the season :(

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 05:07 AM

Quote:

Don't they just give you a list of all the top points scorers for the previous week? Put together the best team you can based on last weeks performance and see who you should've picked ;)
Tried that at various ponts but it just don't work, hence replacing Brady with Kitna; having Rob Bironas as my permanent kicker now SINCE he got about 30 points one week etc.

Even Moss has been quiet since I picked him.

Kind of shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

Seem to be able to always hit 90ish now which usally has me beating most of the 8 Sky pundits......but still has me about 4000th overall!!!

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Oh good grief.

(I so badly want the bash smiley back at this moment. However, for the greater good I will do without it.)

Where has it gone?

Why has it gone?

I loved that.

All the good ones have gone (w@nker sign which lasted about a fortnight; the puking one of 2000/01 and now this!!! :moo: )

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 10:31 AM

I think it went because it was all Baldy used to post.

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 01:03 PM

One poster out of 15000 has caused this tragedy????

(Insert bash smiley here!!)

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 01:31 PM

Right, for those of you who bet guys, I've unearthed a beauty.

Thomas Jones o65.5 yards v Cleveland with bwin.com

Cleveland one of the worst rush defences in the league

Jets been using Jopnes increasingly of late and have won 2/3 now that they are utilising him on 20+ carries.

Jets main two WRs been missing practice so questions marks over the fitness of Coles and Cotchery meaning Jones may be elied on even more.

Cleveland conceded a 100 yd RB in over half the games they've played and over 65.5 in all but one or two.

Summary: Despite playing in a bad team, Jones is still a solid back who should get this yardage and then some.

Take the 1.85 with bwin.com

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

One poster out of 15000 has caused this tragedy????

(Insert bash smiley here!!)

To be fair, he was particularly condescending and patronising to just about everyone with it.

Nice little feature on Sky a second ago on the "Who is..." programme with Deion Sanders and Devin Hester discussing returning kicks. Two of the best ever, nice little masterclass.

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 07:21 PM

Elliott, while the Fins are in Buffalo do you reckon Mularkley's play calls could possibly manage to drive a barrel over Niagara Falls (preferrably with him in it)?

elliott 09-12-2007 07:31 PM

Please please please.

Have we done the token end around yet? Set up by the fake on the play before!

How about the standard RB option pass. Not sure I trust Samkon Gado to throw the ball.

Sad state of affairs that we have just 1 fit RB in Samkon Gado with no-one to back him up (Cobbs got hurt!). No M Booker, Lehan, Crowder or Roth!

Can you ever expect a team to win with that??? Just look at the skilled offensive players:

QB- John Beck
RB - Samkon Gado
FB - Reagan Mauia
WR - Ted Ginn
WR - Derek Hagan
TE - David Martin

What can you do on offense with that??? There are no backups in any position aside from Peelle behind Martin (he's miles better than martin too). Greg Camarillo is the sole WR backup and there are no backups in the backfield.

It's so gutting.

elliott 09-12-2007 07:38 PM

14-0 now.

6.45 to play in the 1st.

elliott 09-12-2007 07:41 PM

Ha! Bills are kicking short I think.

Steve Fifita (DT) and Reagan Mauia (giant FB) have both got KRs. Fifita fumbled his.

elliott 09-12-2007 07:44 PM

And now Beck lets go of the ball whilst passing.

21-0. 5.45 in the 1st.

elliott 09-12-2007 07:45 PM

Yay!!!!

Cleo!

elliott 09-12-2007 07:46 PM

TOUCHDOWN DOLPHINS!!!!
CLEO!!!!

BLUE BOY 09-12-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

A guy who posts on the UK Seahawks site came 4th overall a few weeks ago which is good imo.

BLUE BOY 09-12-2007 07:53 PM

Just checked, he scored 174 points that week!

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 07:59 PM

Didn't they say that the guy who won last week started Gus Frerotte at QB? :eek:

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 08:25 PM

Most ridiculous non-flag in a game I've ever seen at the end of the first half of the Giants-Eagles game. The Philly DE must have been three yards past the line of scrimmage and no flag for offside!

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 09:52 PM

Good point about the non-flag. Not only way past the line but a full two seconds before the snap. Weird

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 10:14 PM

Loving these never-say-die Chargers

What a great and dramatic night so far!!

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 10:30 PM

Saw a Steelers fan in the supermarket this afternoon. Would have wished him luck for tonight had if I wasn't about the shyest person in the western hemisphere.

0-13, we're having a laugh. :lux:

Strathclyde Eagle 09-12-2007 10:32 PM

Just saw the Steelers' internet flasher put them 3-0 up. Made me wonder how come the kickers seem to have got better over the years, while the punters seem to have become worse?

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 10:36 PM

LOVE those Chargers.

8-5 might not be an elite team but there aren't many teams who provide the entertainment they've provided these past 2-3 years.

LT is approaching 2006 form

BLUE BOY 09-12-2007 10:55 PM

Seahawks on fire at mo.

Grim Reaper 09-12-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

GUess which week Peterson decides to rush for a minus amount :rolleyes:

Other than that I'd be on for the trip to Arizona for the SB!!!

Greg Jennings
Minnesota Defense
Randy Moss
LT

Other people doing OK also.

nookiebear 10-12-2007 12:08 AM

blimey that was a good play by New England

Grim Reaper 10-12-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Right, for those of you who bet guys, I've unearthed a beauty.

Thomas Jones o65.5 yards v Cleveland with bwin.com

Cleveland one of the worst rush defences in the league

Jets been using Jopnes increasingly of late and have won 2/3 now that they are utilising him on 20+ carries.

Jets main two WRs been missing practice so questions marks over the fitness of Coles and Cotchery meaning Jones may be elied on even more.

Cleveland conceded a 100 yd RB in over half the games they've played and over 65.5 in all but one or two.

Summary: Despite playing in a bad team, Jones is still a solid back who should get this yardage and then some.

Take the 1.85 with bwin.com

Jets lose but my new money train chugs home quite emphatically in the end although him being stuck on exactly 65 with less than 4 mins to go was a worry!!

Chester 10-12-2007 05:21 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/10...ced/index.html

23 Months in prison for Vick.

saxoneagle 11-12-2007 02:57 AM

Well, I was at the complete blowout of a Colts / Ravens match but at least I can say I saw Troy Smith... warm up.

I'd already left the pouring rain and freezing cold with about 5 minutes left and was watching in my hotel when he scored.

Damn it.

Was interesting cheering for the Pats in a bar surrounded by Colts fans though :D

Strathclyde Eagle 11-12-2007 09:35 AM

And the starting line for Pats/Jets is... 24.5 (according to last night's PTI).

nookiebear 11-12-2007 11:00 AM

Was hoping for a Saints defeat last night. At this rate an NFC team could make the play-offs with an 8-8 record

saxoneagle 11-12-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
Was hoping for a Saints defeat last night. At this rate an NFC team could make the play-offs with an 8-8 record

I don't think so - the G men will finish with a winning record and I think the Vikings will too. The Saints need to win out, IMO, to have even a sniff at the 6th seed.

saxoneagle 11-12-2007 01:24 PM

The Vikings have the Bears and Redskins at home then Denver away - they should win 2 if not all of those.

nookiebear 11-12-2007 01:47 PM

Will all depend on whether the Skins can win in New York this weekend.

A win there means it could be game on a week later against the Vikings and then a Dallas team who will be wanting to avoid injuries at Fed Ex on the final day of the season

I can see the Skins winning their last two if they win in NY

saxoneagle 11-12-2007 02:57 PM

The flex schedule thing doesn't seem to have done what it should have. One of the biggest games this week is Buffalo and Cleveland yet it hasn't been moved to prime time.

Most of the prime time games left this year are nothing matches.

Grim Reaper 11-12-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

And the starting line for Pats/Jets is... 24.5 (according to last night's PTI).
According to WFAN it started at 27 and there was a mass plunge on the Jets to push it down to that.

I see it's at 23.5 in places meaning those big hitters could now back teh Pats at -23.5 and have a shot and New England winning by 24-27 for what would be effectively a straight 20/1 bet for those who backed 10/11 each way.

20/1 for the Pats to win by 24-27 is what I call a value punt!!!

(Althgough we know of course that the Jets will kick ass this week!! :lux: )

Strathclyde Eagle 11-12-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

The flex schedule thing doesn't seem to have done what it should have. One of the biggest games this week is Buffalo and Cleveland yet it hasn't been moved to prime time.

Most of the prime time games left this year are nothing matches.

Same thing happened with the Colts/Pats. Apparently if all those kinds of games get moved then CBS and Fox get annoyed, as opposed to this which presumably just annoys NBC.

saxoneagle 12-12-2007 12:24 AM

True, but there must be SOME leeway each week to move games. The primetime games this week are almost nothing games.

And that's not to mention the fact I, along with millions of others, will miss the Pats going for 16-0 if they win the next two as the game against the Giants is on NFL Network :grrr:

Chester 12-12-2007 12:35 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Good article on Kevin Everett

Chester 12-12-2007 12:36 AM

Petrino supposed to have resigned from Falcons as well. Arkansas his rumored destination

Grim Reaper 12-12-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
Petrino supposed to have resigned from Falcons as well. Arkansas his rumored destination
His final meeting apparently lasted seconds.

'See ya!'

Cue a host of players cueing up to now slate him in the media!!

Grim Reaper 12-12-2007 03:43 PM

Boomer Esiason reckons the Jets' only chance of winning is to outnumber New Engalnd in the turnover battle by +4.

Given New England have the capability to score on every drive and the Jets seem to settle for FGs on the few occasions they score, I'm not sure even +4 would be enough!!

saxoneagle 12-12-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

His final meeting apparently lasted seconds.

'See ya!'

Cue a host of players cueing up to now slate him in the media!!

It was also strange that Arkansas had their press conference at 12.30am Eastern time last night. Why didn't they just wait until this morning?

saxoneagle 12-12-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Boomer Esiason reckons the Jets' only chance of winning is to outnumber New Engalnd in the turnover battle by +4.

Given New England have the capability to score on every drive and the Jets seem to settle for FGs on the few occasions they score, I'm not sure even +4 would be enough!!

The Jets have something which resembles a running game. They CAN keep NE off the field and win time of possession but they might struggle getting into the end zone.

However, NE have one of the worst records in the league defending the red zone, when the opponent finally gets there.

I would not be surprised to see Brady and Moss break their respective season TD records against the Jets but I'd also not be surprised if this is won by less than 7... in the Pats favour of course!

Grim Reaper 12-12-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

However, NE have one of the worst records in the league defending the red zone, when the opponent finally gets there.

I didn't know that stat. Although when you think about it, any team that allows 28 points to the Dumphins has got to be somewhat suspect.

saxoneagle 13-12-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

I didn't know that stat. Although when you think about it, any team that allows 28 points to the Dumphins has got to be somewhat suspect.
The don't allow many redzone possessions, but I think it's over 70% of the time they allow a score. Helped recently by some good "goal to go" defending.

Think last I saw they were 30th in redzone % for defense.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-12-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

That was garbage time scoring for the most part, nothing for them to worry about.

Did anyone else see that stat on Sunday about Patriots drives starting inside their own 20? Over 60% of them go for touchdowns. The next best in the league are Jacksonville and Dallas and they're both at around the 20% mark. :eek:

saxoneagle 13-12-2007 12:08 AM

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=defense

Only above Miami :D

Strathclyde Eagle 13-12-2007 12:12 AM

Yeah, but our stat is from when the opposition starts inside their own red zone. :D

saxoneagle 13-12-2007 12:33 AM

Miami redzone offense doesn't seem that bad actually.

More visits than Minnesota and Buffalo, both wildcard hunting teams.

Better scoring rate than SD and above Pitt, NYG, Jax, TB, Cinn, Tenn for TD rate.

Wow, you aren't quite so sh*t after all... ;) :D

Strathclyde Eagle 13-12-2007 01:26 AM

Minnesota are rarely in the red zone. Adrian Peterson usually scores from the 40. :cool:

saxoneagle 13-12-2007 02:00 AM

Quote:

Minnesota are rarely in the red zone. Adrian Peterson usually scores from the 40. :cool:
Except for last week :eek: :clown: