CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 06-01-2008 11:33 PM

Or even get AP/Reuters reports the way American sites seem to.

elliott 07-01-2008 12:15 AM

I've commented on this bit about how bad the article is.

Can people please back me up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A30688815

elliott 07-01-2008 12:16 AM

Or at least am about to!!! Didn't realise that I couldn't after 11pm!!!

Strathclyde Eagle 07-01-2008 12:27 AM

The BBC don't have insomniac moderators. :D

saxoneagle 07-01-2008 01:18 PM

Disappointed with Young and the Titans last night. They really need to look at the offence and get it moving so it can support their good D.

jazman 08-01-2008 01:28 PM

Really enjoyed the action at the weekend. The highlight has to be the Jags win at the Steelers. Interesting to note while watching the Titans v Chargers match, that's the 3rd time this season the Titans have held them to no score at the half. Great fightback by the Skins against the Seahawks but it looked like they just put their foot on the pedal when they needed to see off the Washington challenge.

Great win for the Giants who are a team in form on the road which is a bit of a worry for the Cowboys but should prove to be a great match up all the same. The Jags should hopefully give the Pats a decent game as well so full steam ahead to the weekend! :p

nookiebear 08-01-2008 03:37 PM

Gibbs has gone from Washington

Bill Cowher please!

Strathclyde Eagle 09-01-2008 12:35 AM

Also on the topic of the Redskins, they're the America's Game feature on Sky Sports Extra at 9am on Saturday (the SB XXII version).

Can't series link it on Sky+ for some daft reason. :(

jazman 09-01-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Also on the topic of the Redskins, they're the America's Game feature on Sky Sports Extra at 9am on Saturday (the SB XXII version).

Can't series link it on Sky+ for some daft reason. :(

I've found that on a lot of Sky NFL shows. But I did find that they repeat them an awful lot so you may have picked a repeated version. I found the original Weekly NFL Review that way and managed to Sky+ it.

davematt 09-01-2008 04:02 PM

So, predictions for the weekend...

Jacksonville at New England = Er, Pats with a comfortable victory. Just cant see anyone stopping them.

San Diego at Indianapolis = Not an easy one to call as the Chargers are certainly more than capable, but you have to go with the Colts, especially with home field advantage.

NY Giants at Dallas = Giants done well to get past Tampa Bay IMO, but their luck will run out and the Cowboys will stroll it.

Seattle at Green Bay = Another difficult one. I have liked the look of the Seahawks all season, but they are not great away from home. Their results on the road have been patchy. Going to go with Green Bay to edge it.

Benzhiyi 09-01-2008 04:11 PM

Cowboys won't stroll it if TO's out. I fancy the Giants' chances. They looked pumped against the Bucs.

Colts should walk it. Jax have a chance if they can get a lead, but that's a big if. I don't think anyone has as good a chance of beating the Pats this season as they do with Jones-Drew in great nick and Garrard moving out of the backfield. Seahawks looked monstrous in defence against the Skins; if they can shut down Ryan Grant they could well pick up the W. Favre's bound to throw a pick or two against those DBs.

I'm hoping Jags, Colts, Cowgirls, Packers, but the head says Pats, Colts, Giants, Seahawks.

saxoneagle 09-01-2008 04:43 PM

In the NFC, the games will both be very close and I could easily see 2 road wins.

I'd love to see Favre get to another Superbowl and I think they'll get one step closer this weekend. The Seahawks D hasn't been great all season but they've stepped it up when it matters most. If Grant gets going, as Benzhiyi pointed out, I can't see past a Packers win. As it is, if the Seahawks might put too much effort into stopping either the run or the pass, the other could beat them. I think I read on nfl.com that both teams will get 20+ points. I go with that - Packers win 34-30.

In Dallas, it is surely all on the QBs. Which Romo will turn up? And maybe more importantly, which Eli will turn up? If the Eli of two weeks ago (against the Pats) turns up, Giants to win. Anything less and Dallas win. With or without TO, I expect a Cowboys win by 3 - 20-17.

In the AFC, the Jags must score first in Foxboro. Score first and it will be close. Chase the game and I don't think Garrard can do it again. He hasn't thrown many interceptions but then he hasn't thrown many TDs either. The Pats to win 34-20.

And then finally, the other inbred Manning (only a mother could love a kid so ugly) against the Chargers. Harrison's thousand week "minor" knee injury will miraculously heal and he'll play a full part. Both QB's will remain untouched throughout the entire game (well, I'd bet on there being maybe 2/3 sacks at most) and all will depend on whether Rivers can make up for LT being isolated (again). You know what? I think he will and the Bolts, not the Colts, are my tip for an upset - I'm going for a repeat 23-21 Charges win. Lightning striking twice!

Chester 09-01-2008 05:35 PM

http://www.jaguars.com/News/powerrankings.aspx

Got to love the asterix at the bottom

Strathclyde Eagle 09-01-2008 06:44 PM

That's part of the reason I think the Pats win big on Saturday. They're great anyway, why antagonise them?

New England -13
Seattle +7.5 (see this one being close)
San Diego +8.5 (I can see LT having a huge game for some reason)
Dallas -7.5

jazman 10-01-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
So, predictions for the weekend...

Jacksonville at New England = Er, Pats with a comfortable victory. Just cant see anyone stopping them.

San Diego at Indianapolis = Not an easy one to call as the Chargers are certainly more than capable, but you have to go with the Colts, especially with home field advantage.

NY Giants at Dallas = Giants done well to get past Tampa Bay IMO, but their luck will run out and the Cowboys will stroll it.

Seattle at Green Bay = Another difficult one. I have liked the look of the Seahawks all season, but they are not great away from home. Their results on the road have been patchy. Going to go with Green Bay to edge it.

Head says Pats, Colts, Cowboys, Green Bay. Heart says Jags, Chargers, Cowboys, Green Bay. Agree that the NRC is going to be very tight and neither the Cowboys or the Packers will stroll their games ... I'm very worried if TO is out and Romo hasn't been on form the last few games, he's clearly had Jessica Simpson on his mind more than football ... :D

saxoneagle 10-01-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman
he's clearly had Jessica Simpson on his mind more than football ... :D

Yeh, go figure that, hey? ;):D

Strathclyde Eagle 10-01-2008 03:04 PM

Bad move - The Falcons going after Pete Carroll.
(Worse move - why would Carroll go there?)

Good move - Josh Brown getting some, erm, heating support for the Seahawks' visit to Green Bay.

LLCOOLSTEVE 10-01-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Seattle
Jags
Giants
Chargers

:)

jazman 10-01-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Yeh, go figure that, hey? ;):D
:D ... I know, no idea why it's effecting his game ... ;) :o

Benzhiyi 11-01-2008 11:37 AM

Brilliant. Again:

http://www.theonion.com/content/infograph/tom_brady

The contraception bit had me laughing out loud.

nookiebear 11-01-2008 12:07 PM

If NFL Access shows that clip of Brady screaming 'We are not done yet" to his team mates one more time I'll put my foot through the telly :D

Strathclyde Eagle 11-01-2008 06:25 PM

Just saw a clip of Junior Seau outside his locker wearing a flat cap. No sign of the pipe and slippers in the same shot, but I'd guess they were lurking somewhere.

Strathclyde Eagle 12-01-2008 10:16 AM

Apologies to all Redskins fans.

Not sure how following the '85 Bears and '86 Giants with the '68 Jets makes sense, but that's what's on.

I'd argue it's still pretty interesting, but apologies for getting the subject of this week's show wrong.

Chester 12-01-2008 09:35 PM

Snowing in Lambeau in january what a suprise.

Should be some great games this weekend

GGGGOOOOOOO SSSSSSSSEEEEAAAAHHHAAWWKKKSS

Chester 12-01-2008 10:39 PM

:lux: :lux:

What a start

jlmatthews 12-01-2008 10:41 PM

That didn't take long.

Did Favre tell Hasellbeck "We want the ball we're gonna score?"

Chester 12-01-2008 10:44 PM

:D

He looked very sheepish

Another turnover :lux:

Chester 12-01-2008 10:51 PM

:lux:

Chester 12-01-2008 11:33 PM

Its all heading south. Favre is a machine at home

:(

BLUE BOY 13-01-2008 12:14 AM

The Seahawks D needs to step up sharpish.......and it would help a bit if the O could move the ball a little!

Chester 13-01-2008 12:23 AM

its like an ice rink out there now.

Hedgehog 13-01-2008 12:43 AM

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow..... :D

BLUE BOY 13-01-2008 12:43 AM

Nice drive there, shame the O line cant open some holes for the RB to run through.

Chester 13-01-2008 12:45 AM

they need to keep out GB and try and get another score before the end ofthis quarter.

A genius decision to wear white with the likelihood of snow!

jlmatthews 13-01-2008 12:51 AM

:D

Ahhh... Green Bay is just lovely in January.

Jonboy 13-01-2008 12:56 AM

Oh well. Next year maybe.:sob:

Chester 13-01-2008 01:05 AM

Cant believe I now have to rely on Eli Manning to help me out now

:sob:

Hedgehog 13-01-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
A genius decision to wear white with the likelihood of snow!
I was going to post the same!

Chester 13-01-2008 02:27 AM

I understand that the blue and green could look similar but I could not see anyone by the end, there must have been some compromise available.

Can Jacksonville pull it off? they are off to a good start

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
A genius decision to wear white with the likelihood of snow!
The rule still (as I understand it, anyway) is that one team wears colours and the other wears white. If Green Bay choose to play in colours then Seattle didn't have a choice, and had to wear white.

Think Green Bay might be a half-decent matchup for the Pats. Two shutdown corners who play man, running game, decent OL. Probably a better matchup than the Cowboys.

New England's win last night means that today's Colts-Chargers game will be the last one held at the RCA Dome.

jlmatthews 13-01-2008 05:14 PM

I had forgotten all about the new stadium since I moved out of state. Lucas Oil Stadium or something. The original drawings looked friggin sweet.

BLUE BOY 13-01-2008 05:17 PM

Im still disapointed about the Seahawks performance! Oh well, might as well start looking at who we can draft!

Ollie Ox 13-01-2008 08:23 PM

'm still in shock at bradys numbers!!1 great game the pats are so versatile jax took away the mid to deep play so they ran and dinked their way down the filed fautlessly. 26/ 28 is almost superhuman

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 08:47 PM

Not impressed with the skating/Big Brother combo right now. :(

Still, it helps me find some junk on the internet. Anyone want a try at being a kicker?

Young Trolley 13-01-2008 08:54 PM

Go Go Chargers!

14-10 up, should've had an INT return for TD before the half as well, the hold call was very iffy. Colts seem to be getting the calls from the officials so far

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 09:15 PM

Two challenges, both have gone the Colts' way.

RDSdaEAGLE 13-01-2008 09:22 PM

20-17 after the 3rd quarter.

Woop woop! :D

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 09:36 PM

Turner's getting a lot of carries. Is Tomlinson injured?

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 09:44 PM

Three challenges have now gone the Colts way.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 09:56 PM

Chargers lead - less than five to go.

RDSdaEAGLE 13-01-2008 09:58 PM

:lux: for now! Keep going SD!

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:00 PM

Manning making this drive look easy.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:03 PM

Huge 4th down here.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:06 PM

And again. 4th and goal.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:07 PM

Chargers get the ball on the 7.

Colts still have three timeouts left.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:08 PM

Two minute warning.

Chargers really just need one first down. Does anyone think they've got the guts to call a play-action pass?

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:12 PM

Wow, the Chargers used a whopping nineteen seconds on those three plays.

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:17 PM

I think I saw about 10% of the screen on that final play.

Does anyone know if there are night courses for wives to learn how to use a Sky+ remote control?

AddiscombeEagle 13-01-2008 10:26 PM

Only recently got into American football, but I have watched all three games this weekend and have loved them.

Still getting used to the rules and understanding it all, but am really getting into this.

Spose I should find a team to support.

Young Trolley 13-01-2008 10:26 PM

Chargers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

And that hold on the INT return was a disgrace, never a penalty in a million years could have robbed San Diego. That's a serious win given the officiating and no LT or Philip Rivers.

Bring on the Patriots!!!!!!!!!1:p

Strathclyde Eagle 13-01-2008 10:36 PM

Apparently Boomer Esiason has said something about the refs today. Sounds like it was the Pittsburgh game two seasons ago where all sorts of dubious calls took place.

Chester 13-01-2008 10:41 PM

Go Chargers

:lux; :lux:

Chester 13-01-2008 10:46 PM

Come on Eli (Cant believe I am saying that) but i need you to not have one of your normal games to save me $50

selhurstparkflyer 14-01-2008 12:16 AM

Nice response Eli!! Giants Rule.

Chester 14-01-2008 01:49 AM

:lux:

I love you Jessica Simpson ;)

davematt 14-01-2008 09:44 AM

Sunday was certainly the day of upsets.

Big question is; can the Chargers do it again next week in New England?

Oisin 14-01-2008 11:40 AM

Surely American Football fans must be salivating at the thought of a GB Pats Superbowl, Favre v Brady, the two best QBs of recent years?

Benzhiyi 14-01-2008 11:56 AM

Dave: Absolutely no chance at all. Pats will walk it.

Oisin: I'd rather it was Favre vs Rivers simply because it'll rule out the possibility of an asterisk being engraved on the Vince Lombardi trophy. But yes, I can begrudgingly admit that it'd be an exciting head-to-head.

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
:lux:

I love you Jessica Simpson ;)

Or Yoko Romo as she's now known. :D

Strange weekend. I see next weekend reverting to normal, providing that the Packers' OL plays as well as it did on Saturday.

Chester 14-01-2008 02:28 PM

lol

Very Good.

Chester 14-01-2008 03:13 PM

God Dammit you useless Seahawks, just found out that my dad was planning to fly me up to the championship game should the Seahawks have won as the game would have been at Quest \Field

Grim Reaper 14-01-2008 03:56 PM

What a truly great night of NFL that was.

Love them Giants

Love them Chargers.

:p

Question of the day: How many teams will be queuing up to play at Wembley next year when the sport's latest omen of 'Lucky London' kicks in when this season's Superbowl Champs were the London game winners?? :D


Who'd have though we were watching the No.1 team in NFL and the number 32

davematt 14-01-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
What a truly great night of NFL that was.

Love them Giants

Love them Chargers.

:p

Question of the day: How many teams will be queuing up to play at Wembley next year when the sport's latest omen of 'Lucky London' kicks in when this season's Superbowl Champs were the London game winners?? :D


Who'd have though we were watching the No.1 team in NFL and the number 32

:D :D

If someone had told me then that Giants would be one win away from an appearance in Superbowl I would have sent them to the funny farm.

Agree with one of the above posts though; A Brady v Favre showdown would be quite a spectacle to end the season :p

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
lol

Very Good.

Would like to claim that myself. Sadly I can't. It was on PTI last Friday, I think Bob Ryan said it, shortly after he said the Colts were the lock of the weekend.
Quote:

Originally posted by Chester
God Dammit you useless Seahawks, just found out that my dad was planning to fly me up to the championship game should the Seahawks have won as the game would have been at Quest \Field
Cousin Sal, a Cowboys fan on the weekly Bill Simmons podcast, bought his flights to Dallas for the NFC Championship game before the Giants game (saving money being the justification).

I don't suppose anyone booked hotels in Cardiff prior to us getting to the play-off final? I wouldn't have dreamt of tempting fate that way.

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Love them Chargers.
Love a forum with a "today's jersey" feature.

http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums...ad.php?t=22001

jazman 15-01-2008 12:02 PM

Cowboys fluffed it big time. They had the opportunities to win the game but failed miserably. Panic seemed to set into Romo's play big time. Fair play to the Giants though, they did the job and are a team in form so the championship match at GB should be a tasty one. Gutted though as I really did expect more from the Cowboys but the writing was on the wall as soon as the Giants took the lead.

Anyone see Sky News this morning? An emotional TO defending his team mate Romo .. quite bizarre .. As is all this talk of Romo and Simpson in the past few weeks. Anyone know how long they have been an item? As if it's just recent, that explains Romo's end of season form ....

Looking forward to watching the Championship matches this weekend though. I think the Pats will be too strong for the Chargers but GB and the Giants could be very interesting. Saying that, anything could happen in one game ...

saxoneagle 15-01-2008 01:44 PM

TO looked like a complete loser this morning on TV. It was a bit pathetic.

Sure, the TEAM lost but everyone knows that so much revolves around the QB.

As for the last weekend, I picked 3 out of 4 and I did say that the QB's would be the decider in Dallas. I just plumped for the wrong one.

I'm amazed no-one here has said much about Grant. What player would come back from two fumbles in the first 4 minutes to end up running for over 200 yards and 3 scores. Amazing performance from a guy who was being consoled and almost in tears on the sideline in his post-season debut. Watch out, the Pack running game is a weapon no-one predicted pre-season.

And this weekend, I'm going for home wins. The Pats by a score (even with Rivers and LT) and the Packers by 10+. Eli will not have FOUR good games in a row. If I was a betting man, I'd bet Eli has at least 2 interceptions, if not more.

saxoneagle 15-01-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
IPackers win 34-30.

Cowboys win by 3 - 20-17.

The Pats to win 34-20.

I'm going for a repeat 23-21 Charges win. Lightning striking twice!


Packers 42-20
Giants 21-17
Pats 31-20
Chargers 28-24

Not too bad with my predictions... especially the Pats and SD ones! I also said the Hawks and Packers would both get over 20 points!

Latvian Eagle 15-01-2008 02:46 PM

Shame about the Seahawks! I thought they might make the Superbowl, in the end from the scoreline at least they seemed to get routed by the Packers.

Hoping the Giants will make it now. Pats should win it, infact it'd be criminal if they don't, but I'd be happy with a Giants v Chargers Superbowl to be honest! :lux:

Latvian Eagle 15-01-2008 02:46 PM

Oh and it was my boys the Panthers who buggered up TO! :lux: Good times!

Latvian Eagle 15-01-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
:D :D

If someone had told me then that Giants would be one win away from an appearance in Superbowl I would have sent them to the funny farm.

How's that!? Weren't the Giants on a 5 or 6 game winning streak going into the London game?! :confused: Apart from the first 2 or 3 weeks the Giants have been pretty solid if unspectacular!

GUCCI Eagle 15-01-2008 02:54 PM

The Giants pushed the Patriots all the way at the end of last year too.

Giants will win the whole thing

Chester 15-01-2008 03:01 PM

Dear God, its all going to peoples heads

Latvian Eagle 15-01-2008 03:08 PM

They mentioned on Sunday that it's the first time a team has reached the Championship game with 8 rookies in their team or something like that!

Giants ended with a 10-6-0 record, two of those losses were to the Cowboys who they've since beaten. One of them was to the Pats who they pushed very very hard indeed.

Other teams they've lost to are the Packers (revenge on Sunday perhaps?), the Vikings, and once against the Redskins who they've also beaten once in the regular season.

saxoneagle 15-01-2008 03:42 PM

I don't think the Giants will win it, even if they get past Green Bay. Both AFC teams are superior in just about every department and it would be a HUGE upset if the Giants get to the main game, let alone win it.

Strathclyde Eagle 15-01-2008 09:47 PM

I actually hope it is a Giants-Chargers Super Bowl, purely because you'll get to see this photo a lot before the game.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine...27_manning.jpg

Benzhiyi 15-01-2008 11:10 PM

There's no way in the world the Giants will win the Super Bowl. None.

Strathclyde Eagle 15-01-2008 11:15 PM

I don't think so either.

The shame is their defence, especially the front four, are just getting better and better.

Benzhiyi 15-01-2008 11:29 PM

Also, I see Rivers is likely to miss Sunday.

Now, I am quite openly blinded by my hatred for Whingealot Brady and Belicheat, and I will freely admit that the Pats are an outstanding team, but...

Has there ever been a team who've had so many lucky breaks during a season? It's getting silly now.

At this rate the Giants will make it to the Super Bowl to play the Pats, only to end up with Fatty Lorenzen under center and half their D struck down by the mysterious Maronorovirus.

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Has there ever been a team who've had so many lucky breaks during a season? It's getting silly now.
It's a fair point.

Latvian Eagle 16-01-2008 12:44 AM

Lol never realised San Diego took Eli as the number 1 draft pick! :o You learn something new everyday!

jlmatthews 16-01-2008 01:38 AM

More Trouble for Pacman Jones

How can you be in line to make millions of dollars and just keep everything up!!!

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

saxoneagle 16-01-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi

Has there ever been a team who've had so many lucky breaks during a season? It's getting silly now.

Luck evens out eventually. As Palace fans, we all know that.

Besides, the opposition QB being injured doesn't affect Brady's ability to only throw two incompletions and have his lead WR marked out of the game yet still win a match comfortably, does it?

And who on the Jags team was badly banged up last week? Were the RBs both injured to the extent NE defence EASILY stopped them?

It's actually quite pathetic some of the articles in the press about the Pats. They're not winning because of the "cheating", they're winning because they've got a point to prove with regard to being accused of it. It's not like the Pats are the only team who record and it's not like they're the first team to have some footage they're not supposed to have - they're just the first to get caught. Bitter Mangini and his bunch of way-below-average charges merely wish they had the talent for their cheating to make a difference ;)

Benzhiyi 16-01-2008 12:59 PM

Hang on. As I said, they're an outstanding team. And I never said Brady was lucky, although I've no doubt his unsportsmanlike hounding of officials influences some of the dodgy calls which have gone your way this season in every game other than the one in Indy. (Funny how quick Pats fans were to bemoan the calls which went against them that day, yet never ever spot Randy Moss committing offensive pass interference one play in every five.)

I'm merely saying that as well as being one of the finest teams in history, you're also one of the luckiest. And no, simply put, luck does not always even out eventually. You simply cannot go 16-0 without a bit of luck along the way. Surely even your ungracious lot can acknowledge that? Or have you already forgotten Rex Ryan, 4th and 1 in Baltimore?

But the fact you've leapt straight on the defensive and spun my point in a completely different direction demonstrates perfectly one of the reasons I hate the Pats: because they (as a team and a set of fans) act the hard done by innocent all the friggin' time and reckon that all criticism, however constructive, is only aimed at them because they're succesful. Whereas, in actual fact, it's because of their total lack of grace and sportsmanship that they invite so much ire.

I know I've said it before, but they're the Chelsea of the NFL.

saxoneagle 16-01-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Hang on. As I said, they're an outstanding team. And I never said Brady was lucky, although I've no doubt his unsportsmanlike hounding of officials influences some of the dodgy calls which have gone your way this season in every game other than the one in Indy. (Funny how quick Pats fans were to bemoan the calls which went against them that day, yet never ever spot Randy Moss committing offensive pass interference one play in every five.)

I'm merely saying that as well as being one of the finest teams in history, you're also one of the luckiest. And no, simply put, luck does not always even out eventually. You simply cannot go 16-0 without a bit of luck along the way. Surely even your ungracious lot can acknowledge that? Or have you already forgotten Rex Ryan, 4th and 1 in Baltimore?

But the fact you've leapt straight on the defensive and spun my point in a completely different direction demonstrates perfectly one of the reasons I hate the Pats: because they (as a team and a set of fans) act the hard done by innocent all the friggin' time and reckon that all criticism, however constructive, is only aimed at them because they're succesful. Whereas, in actual fact, it's because of their total lack of grace and sportsmanship that they invite so much ire.

I know I've said it before, but they're the Chelsea of the NFL.

While we're on the subject of Baltimore, why not mention the Ravens press conferences pre-NE game mentioning offensive pass interference regularly and then Randy Moss being called for 2, if not 3, of the most dubious OPI calls of the season.

I'm not saying we're hard done by, I'm saying that everyone looks for things in order to demean our achievement this season.

And as you also mention Indy, if anyone gets calls for them, especially at home, it's Indy. The Pats overcame it to win and so did the Chargers on what I would call the most one-sided refereeing of the season. But no-one mentions the Colts "12th man", do they?

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Luck evens out eventually. As Palace fans, we all know that.
As Palace fans we definitely know that isn't true. :sob:

Will reply to the other stuff later. Just a quick lunch-break post.

Strathclyde Eagle 16-01-2008 02:12 PM

In terms of luck, consider something as small as this. The '85 Bears could have gone unbeaten. In the one game they lost a critical play occured when a Dan Marino pass hit the helmet of a defender, then looped up and into the arms of a wide-open Mark Clayton.

Weird stuff used to happen when teams were chasing unbeaten records. Of course I can't remember any right now, but it used to happen. Trust me. :D (And yes, I know I went 1-3 in my predictions last weekend. Give me a break!)

I think the points about Indy and officiating are valid. Having seen the bogus holding call on the interception return it almost reminded me of the Pittsburgh game a few years ago, when all sorts of dubious calls went against the Steelers (remember the Polamalu interception?).

The Colts also benefitted from all the whinging about officiating in previous play-off defeats to New England. The fact is though with the rules interpreted as they are now New England has built an offence to capitalise on that. They've done it better than the Colts (who haven't been helped by Marvin Harrison's injuries).

But the biggest thing is the general lack of class with the Patriots, led by their Head Coach. Even before this season he could be churlish (behavious towards Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning and Tom Jackson are just a few examples of this). He's a brilliant coach, but a flawed human being in my opinion.

Benzhiyi 16-01-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
While we're on the subject of Baltimore, why not mention the Ravens press conferences pre-NE game mentioning offensive pass interference regularly and then Randy Moss being called for 2, if not 3, of the most dubious OPI calls of the season.

I'm not saying we're hard done by, I'm saying that everyone looks for things in order to demean our achievement this season.

And as you also mention Indy, if anyone gets calls for them, especially at home, it's Indy. The Pats overcame it to win and so did the Chargers on what I would call the most one-sided refereeing of the season. But no-one mentions the Colts "12th man", do they?

I fully agree. The Colts get plenty of bent decisions their way. The one which ruled out Cromartie's IC return against SD was disgraceful. And if the Colts were forever moaning on about being hard done by then I'd make the same criticisms of their behaviour that I do of the Pats.

Latvian Eagle 16-01-2008 03:10 PM

I hate the Colts and the Pats!

I've only been into the NFL for two seasons so far, but already those two stand out as being the Chelsea / Man Utd of the NFL.

saxoneagle 16-01-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
In terms of luck, consider something as small as this. The '85 Bears could have gone unbeaten. In the one game they lost a critical play occured when a Dan Marino pass hit the helmet of a defender, then looped up and into the arms of a wide-open Mark Clayton.

Weird stuff used to happen when teams were chasing unbeaten records. Of course I can't remember any right now, but it used to happen. Trust me. :D (And yes, I know I went 1-3 in my predictions last weekend. Give me a break!)

I think the points about Indy and officiating are valid. Having seen the bogus holding call on the interception return it almost reminded me of the Pittsburgh game a few years ago, when all sorts of dubious calls went against the Steelers (remember the Polamalu interception?).

The Colts also benefitted from all the whinging about officiating in previous play-off defeats to New England. The fact is though with the rules interpreted as they are now New England has built an offence to capitalise on that. They've done it better than the Colts (who haven't been helped by Marvin Harrison's injuries).

But the biggest thing is the general lack of class with the Patriots, led by their Head Coach. Even before this season he could be churlish (behavious towards Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning and Tom Jackson are just a few examples of this). He's a brilliant coach, but a flawed human being in my opinion.

Quite honestly, the inbred media-whore Manning gets all he deserves. :D


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.