CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

CT_Palace 25-08-2023 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17041703)
Jeepers.

And what else could you do. If it was a regular sermon, you could stand up and have a go. At a funeral, or wedding, you can't say anything.

Probably worth getting involved if the c nut is overseeing a baptism, though.

There's got to be a 50/50 chance the priest is a wrong un.

I know, right?
What a completely twatish thing to do.
He was a doddering old fool who didn't seem to realize that this wasn't the time.

stange555 25-08-2023 10:35 AM

About 10 years ago, my daughter went to a school holiday club thing in Charlwood near Gatwick, they did loads of activities and had a great time. The last event of the whole week was a thing in the village church where they all showed off their artwork and had a sing song, I'm not a church goer, but it was all very nice. Then the vicar stood up and said that although they had done well, they were not fit to eat the crumbs from below the table of god (these kids were about 7 years old). I walked out. Waited outside for the vicar, told him what I thought of him.

strawberry mivi 25-08-2023 11:20 AM

10 years of that annoying you must have grown into a big ball of bitterness by now.
Nothing since?

Havel 25-08-2023 11:30 AM

People on trains (in this case upper class accents), who let their kids do as they want, whilst they sit chatting loudly about ‘Race around the world’ with their feet on the seats. Then start calling their kids name in a loud voice asking if they are ok. Sod the kids being ok, they are annoying to everyone else.

Levski 25-08-2023 12:20 PM

Shopping. It's probably my least favourite activity of all. I literally prefer working or doing household chores.

stange555 25-08-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 17042013)
10 years of that annoying you must have grown into a big ball of bitterness by now.
Nothing since?

Oh yeah, I'm only mentioning it because of the previous post.

west country boy 25-08-2023 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levski (Post 17042117)
Shopping. It's probably my least favourite activity of all. I literally prefer working or doing household chores.

I like foreign supermarket shopping but pretty much everything else is done online.

ceeby 25-08-2023 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 17040873)
British Airways website. Slow and keeps erroring out.

Yep! it's still the full 2003 web experience with them. Probably the worst website to go on these days. The hotel search really looks like a 20 year old website with low res thumbnails etc.

And, as you say, there are always errors.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-08-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17041707)
I know, right?
What a completely twatish thing to do.
He was a doddering old fool who didn't seem to realize that this wasn't the time.

Go back and piss in his font.

PeterH 25-08-2023 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 17042013)
10 years of that annoying you must have grown into a big ball of bitterness by now.
Nothing since?

Granted, I have form.

But that's feckin harsh. lolololol

Supersonic 25-08-2023 11:47 PM

Posted this on a local FB group, but I'll repeat here:

my moan is daft women returning idiotic things (in this case in Sainsbury's) but could have been anywhere. I was queing for a lottery ticket the other day but gave up when I witnessed the following exchange:
Customer: "I have a problem with this item." (It's a shirt or something)
Employee: "Oh, what's the problem?"
Customer "It had a 70% off sticker on it, but when I got home I saw the receipt and I only got 50% off."
Employee: "There doesn't seem to be a sticker on it now?"
Customer: "Yes, I took the sticker off."
Employee: "I'll have to call manager"
to state the obvious I'm not blaming the employee here, but my god the original item was 9 quid, so was 4.50 half price, would have been 2.70 with 70% discount ... so she's making all this fuss about £1.80 which is basically impossible to prove, all the while whilst this is going on the queue has grown ...
don't idiots like this realise they're wasting everyone's time over a trivial amount which is pretty much impossible to prove anyway.
sorry that's my rant over for the day lol.

Isle of Wight 25-08-2023 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 17043094)
Posted this on a local FB group, but I'll repeat here:

my moan is daft women returning idiotic things (in this case in Sainsbury's) but could have been anywhere. I was queing for a lottery ticket the other day but gave up when I witnessed the following exchange:
Customer: "I have a problem with this item." (It's a shirt or something)
Employee: "Oh, what's the problem?"
Customer "It had a 70% off sticker on it, but when I got home I saw the receipt and I only got 50% off."
Employee: "There doesn't seem to be a sticker on it now?"
Customer: "Yes, I took the sticker off."
Employee: "I'll have to call manager"
to state the obvious I'm not blaming the employee here, but my god the original item was 9 quid, so was 4.50 half price, would have been 2.70 with 70% discount ... so she's making all this fuss about £1.80 which is basically impossible to prove, all the while whilst this is going on the queue has grown ...
don't idiots like this realise they're wasting everyone's time over a trivial amount which is pretty much impossible to prove anyway.
sorry that's my rant over for the day lol.

But did she get her £1.80 back?

Supersonic 25-08-2023 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 17043102)
But did she get her £1.80 back?

not a clue, and I missed out on a potentially winning lottery ticket in the process.

Oldtown Eagle 26-08-2023 09:05 PM

Roast dinners. It’s odd, I love a roast if someone cooks it for me, but despite loving cooking I find them incredibly hard work, especially timing and when it comes together at the end. Then it hits me, after all the effort I dont fancy it at all. And tonight I really thought I would die inhaling a pea.

Stavros 69 27-08-2023 12:57 AM

Making flat pack furniture.
My kid couldn’t give a shit

Sick Bucket 27-08-2023 09:37 AM

Alexa - bought one for my Dad so he can use it as a radio to listen to BBC radio.

Absolute nightmare trying to link it to the BBC, I've spent literally hours trying to get it to work, it doesn't. And it wasn't me being a moron either, my 16 year old daughter also had a good go and gave up. I did a google search and it's a known issue, loads of people have the same problem.

I did eventually find a work around, which is like going to some dodgy streaming site and listening via there. If anyones interested it's called 'radiofeeds' look for it on skills.

Nostrils 27-08-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 17045996)
Alexa - bought one for my Dad so he can use it as a radio to listen to BBC radio.

Absolute nightmare trying to link it to the BBC, I've spent literally hours trying to get it to work, it doesn't. And it wasn't me being a moron either, my 16 year old daughter also had a good go and gave up. I did a google search and it's a known issue, loads of people have the same problem.

I did eventually find a work around, which is like going to some dodgy streaming site and listening via there. If anyones interested it's called 'radiofeeds' look for it on skills.

I've given mine away, but had the same issue for a while. I think I got round it by connecting BBC Sounds to the account using the app.

Maidstoned Eagle 27-08-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17045484)
Roast dinners. Itís odd, I love a roast if someone cooks it for me, but despite loving cooking I find them incredibly hard work, especially timing and when it comes together at the end. Then it hits me, after all the effort I dont fancy it at all. And tonight I really thought I would die inhaling a pea.

Roast dinner? Hard work! It's literally one of the easiest meals to cook.

BERT'S HEAD 27-08-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 17046025)
Roast dinner? Hard work! It's literally one of the easiest meals to cook.

Eleven minutes in the microwave from frozen, job done.

Maidstoned Eagle 27-08-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 17046047)
Eleven minutes in the microwave from frozen, job done.

It's as easy as that with a conventional oven and a bit more time.

GeorgeIII 28-08-2023 06:39 AM

Have you ever considered that there could be 2 lots of A&B? One marked hard and the other easier. A or B chosen by the contestants comes from the hard box and the Chaser gets A or B from the easy box?

There is also a grassy knoll in Dallas. ��

Sharkba1t 28-08-2023 11:53 AM

Bags of dogshit hung on trees and left on the pavement.

New terminology as in “ use your smarts”. Just fk off.

chrisophiex 28-08-2023 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17045484)
Roast dinners. Itís odd, I love a roast if someone cooks it for me, but despite loving cooking I find them incredibly hard work, especially timing and when it comes together at the end. Then it hits me, after all the effort I dont fancy it at all. And tonight I really thought I would die inhaling a pea.


:supergrin:

Ball Boy 28-08-2023 12:35 PM

The Mail Online
Kai Havertz mocked for failed two-yard pass in Arsenal's Fulham draw - with one supporter comparing him to Crystal Palace's Jordan Ayew - but others insist the £65m star needs time

Really pisses me off Ayew works tirelessly for the team but twats just look at his lack of goals

Adlerhorst 28-08-2023 02:37 PM

Air traffic control **** ups. I’ve already had to give up a day of my weekend and you cannot even get the software to ******* work.

You might as well go on strike. No one would notice.

Ball Boy 28-08-2023 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17045484)
Roast dinners. Itís odd, I love a roast if someone cooks it for me, but despite loving cooking I find them incredibly hard work, especially timing and when it comes together at the end. Then it hits me, after all the effort I dont fancy it at all. And tonight I really thought I would die inhaling a pea.

I 100% agree with this one, itís fantastic being complemented especially for the gravy, but I feel cheated 4 hrs of blood sweat and tears (not in the gravy). For 20 mins of eating.

Martin H 28-08-2023 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 17047698)
Air traffic control **** ups. Iíve already had to give up a day of my weekend and you cannot even get the software to ******* work.

You might as well go on strike. No one would notice.

So are you trying to break into their system to bump your plane up the order?

bigend1 28-08-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 17047698)
Air traffic control **** ups. Iíve already had to give up a day of my weekend and you cannot even get the software to ******* work.

You might as well go on strike. No one would notice.

What's French for "**** off and find your own thing? " :D

Adlerhorst 28-08-2023 04:07 PM

All BA flights before 7pm cancelled. Heading to St Pancras as now on a 7am flight from CDG

Sick Bucket 28-08-2023 04:11 PM

I'm flying tomorrow so they better have sorted this out by then!

Nobody seems to be suggesting it so it's probably nonsense but are the Russians to blame? It's the sort of thing they'd like to do. Create another airplane 'accident'.

Adlerhorst 28-08-2023 04:36 PM

There’s supposed to be a back up system, so that must have failed too if they were doing manual procedures.

Maz 28-08-2023 04:40 PM

Issue now fixed. In time for my flight tomorrow:)

bigend1 28-08-2023 04:50 PM

And mine. But lots of flights crew and aircraft now in tbe wrong place and out of hours etc. I'd expect a fair number of extra flights trying to be crammed into an already full system tomorrow. It'll be slot delays for everyone in/around/to/from/through London I suspect.

Adlerhorst 28-08-2023 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 17047858)
Issue now fixed. In time for my flight tomorrow:)

Be prepared to be bumped for people who were supposed to be flying today.

Maz 28-08-2023 05:09 PM

We donít get bumped. //smug//

PeterH 28-08-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 17047888)
We donít get bumped. //smug//

I was going to say that about you Maz.

Where are you off to? More wildlife bothering?

PeterH 28-08-2023 05:12 PM

Is everyone desperately getting out of the UK, off the BBS, to escape the closing of the transfer window? Den Haag Eagle just told me that was one of his travel benefits.

dave_who_ru 28-08-2023 05:20 PM

Daughter flying to Las Vegas from Heathrow this afternoon. She is on the plane and on time as far as she is aware.

PeterH 28-08-2023 05:23 PM

Best of luck with all your getaways.

I will be avoiding the Friday window by spending cash on my 'prostitute' of a wife.

As you can imagine, that is not my use of the word to describe my wife.

Pidster 28-08-2023 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17047915)
Best of luck with all your getaways.

I will be avoiding the Friday window by spending cash on my 'prostitute' of a wife.

As you can imagine, that is not my use of the word to describe my wife.

Her pimp is a very rude man :grrr:

glenn.f 28-08-2023 06:59 PM

Sodding charities attempting to sign you up for direct debits. Heard a woman having to justify herself that she donates when she can. You've got these greedy sods chasing my Alzheimer's affected mother-in-law for one off donations of up to a £100 when they'd already somehow managed to sign her up to monthly payments 2 years previously.
When did the aggressive hard sell become the staple of charities.

Stellavista 28-08-2023 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 17048034)
Sodding charities attempting to sign you up for direct debits. Heard a woman having to justify herself that she donates when she can. You've got these greedy sods chasing my Alzheimer's affected mother-in-law for one off donations of up to a £100 when they'd already somehow managed to sign her up to monthly payments 2 years previously.
When did the aggressive hard sell become the staple of charities.

A curt 'f*ck off' is usually sufficient.

PeterH 28-08-2023 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 17048034)
Sodding charities attempting to sign you up for direct debits. Heard a woman having to justify herself that she donates when she can. You've got these greedy sods chasing my Alzheimer's affected mother-in-law for one off donations of up to a £100 when they'd already somehow managed to sign her up to monthly payments 2 years previously.
When did the aggressive hard sell become the staple of charities.

Personally, I think charities hawking in the street for direct debit payments should be made illegal.

I may also think paying people wages or commision for signing people up should be illegal as well.

I would be more likely to give to a charity if the collectors were volunteering out of their own hearts.

Reps AJ 29-08-2023 12:17 AM

People who dont move over to the right hand side of the lane when turning right out of a side road, thus blocking in the car behind that wants to turn left but can't because you couldn't be arsed to drive your BMW considerately

Paulinmorden 29-08-2023 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 17048337)
People who dont move over to the right hand side of the lane when turning right out of a side road, thus blocking in the car behind that wants to turn left but can't because you couldn't be arsed to drive your BMW considerately

BMW. The least surprising word in your post:)

Isle of Wight 29-08-2023 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17048322)
Personally, I think charities hawking in the street for direct debit payments should be made illegal.

I may also think paying people wages or commision for signing people up should be illegal as well.

I would be more likely to give to a charity if the collectors were volunteering out of their own hearts.

Absolutely.

bigend1 29-08-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 17047867)
And mine. But lots of flights crew and aircraft now in tbe wrong place and out of hours etc. I'd expect a fair number of extra flights trying to be crammed into an already full system tomorrow. It'll be slot delays for everyone in/around/to/from/through London I suspect.

****ers just waited until 3am to cancel :veryangry just so I can't cancel hotel and shit nor get on any other flight :sob:

pallet 29-08-2023 08:06 AM

The transfer window

Adlerhorst 29-08-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 17048442)
****ers just waited until 3am to cancel :veryangry just so I can't cancel hotel and shit nor get on any other flight :sob:

There would have been space on my rearranged flight as I didnít turn up for mine (and it did go) because I had already made it to France by the time the rearranged it. Have now made it to where I was supposed to be - 7am flight out of CDG.

Yesterday I drove, took a train, tube, another trains, another tube, and a light rail. It took 14 hours and I ended up about 300 miles or so south of where I started when I was trying to go 1000 miles east.

Gazza2 29-08-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 17048034)
Sodding charities attempting to sign you up for direct debits. Heard a woman having to justify herself that she donates when she can. You've got these greedy sods chasing my Alzheimer's affected mother-in-law for one off donations of up to a £100 when they'd already somehow managed to sign her up to monthly payments 2 years previously.
When did the aggressive hard sell become the staple of charities.


There are companies that provide a service of finding new donaters for charities. They get paid on a results/commission basis. Hence the hard sell. It doesn't sit comfortably with me but that's the way things are.

Cyneagle 29-08-2023 11:18 AM

Surprised I was approached by a Chugger from British Legion at this years Airbourne.

Gazza2 29-08-2023 11:40 AM

That wasn't a Legion employee, it would have been an outsourced company being paid on a results basis.

Likely to see more of this kind of thing as charities seek to replace the donators who cancel their direct debits due to cost of living pressures.

chrisophiex 29-08-2023 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 17048337)
People who dont move over to the right hand side of the lane when turning right out of a side road, thus blocking in the car behind that wants to turn left but can't because you couldn't be arsed to drive your BMW considerately


Yep. Also hate when youíre wanting to turn right and need to see both ways before you commit, only for some **** to pull up right beside you on the left side and completely block whatís coming from the left.

Maidstoned Eagle 29-08-2023 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17048322)
Personally, I think charities hawking in the street for direct debit payments should be made illegal.

I may also think paying people wages or commision for signing people up should be illegal as well.

Thats WCBs career ****ed then.

Isle of Wight 29-08-2023 02:53 PM

Seeing heritage destroyed for “development”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-66636600

Oldtown Eagle 30-08-2023 08:53 PM

Bar etiquette. A sign of a good bar person is to take note of who should be served next, a skill that seems to be fast declining. And then people who stroll up to the bar, well aware that you are waiting, but don’t acknowledge that. Then on top of that have a large round to buy. Meanwhile you stand there like two a dripping.

PALACEWU 30-08-2023 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17051850)
Bar etiquette. A sign of a good bar person is to take note of who should be served next, a skill that seems to be fast declining. And then people who stroll up to the bar, well aware that you are waiting, but donít acknowledge that. Then on top of that have a large round to buy. Meanwhile you stand there like two a dripping.

Yeah this is unacceptable and not just annoying, you can just about let the barman off if he's busy but in my busiest shifts I never had a problem keeping an eye on that, but worst of all is the prick who doesn't pass you the buck if he's been incorrectly asked next, subhuman scum.

Paulinmorden 31-08-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 17051850)
Bar etiquette. A sign of a good bar person is to take note of who should be served next, a skill that seems to be fast declining. And then people who stroll up to the bar, well aware that you are waiting, but donít acknowledge that. Then on top of that have a large round to buy. Meanwhile you stand there like two a dripping.

This!

Paulinmorden 31-08-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 17051907)
Yeah this is unacceptable and not just annoying, you can just about let the barman off if he's busy but in my busiest shifts I never had a problem keeping an eye on that, but worst of all is the prick who doesn't pass you the buck if he's been incorrectly asked next, subhuman scum.

And this!

RazorsEdge 31-08-2023 10:27 PM

I agree with this and And this

big bad John 01-09-2023 04:15 AM

I've been frequenting pubs for an unhealthy amount of time. In a packed boozer you will always find that the squeaky wheel will get the most oil (wrong thread) and the familiar face will also get attended to first.
I have noticed that the younger generation seem to lack the social skills to be assertive at a bar counter. Probably too used to ordering Uber drinks and Uber marijuana.
What is starting to annoy me is the fad in a few of the newer joints of forming a line. The first few times I bulled my way to the bar, totally oblivious to the fact that drinkers would form such an orderly queue, only to be tsk tsk tsked by a long line of home brewery types who would not be back in line, until they had finished sipping their pint two hour later.

RazorsEdge 01-09-2023 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17054235)
I've been frequenting pubs for an unhealthy amount of time. In a packed boozer you will always find that the squeaky wheel will get the most oil (wrong thread) and the familiar face will also get attended to first.
I have noticed that the younger generation seem to lack the social skills to be assertive at a bar counter. Probably too used to ordering Uber drinks and Uber marijuana.
What is starting to annoy me is the fad in a few of the newer joints of forming a line. The first few times I bulled my way to the bar, totally oblivious to the fact that drinkers would form such an orderly queue, only to be tsk tsk tsked by a long line of home brewery types who would not be back in line, until they had finished sipping their pint two hour later.

No need to queue to quench your thirst and the queue in the bar starts from where you stand :)

RazorsEdge 01-09-2023 05:13 PM

M25 around Dartford, I have noticed in the past three months every Thursday Friday it is just a choc a block. I wonder if there are aliens or something. Very bizzare and no one is reporting it till you are there and stuck for an hour to cross 5 miles

jimos_uk 01-09-2023 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 17055764)
M25 around Dartford, I have noticed in the past three months every Thursday Friday it is just a choc a block. I wonder if there are aliens or something. Very bizzare and no one is reporting it till you are there and stuck for an hour to cross 5 miles

I spent a large portion of yesterday on the A34 (both ways!) and it annoyed me hugely that one of the main road arteries remains a dual carriageway with the expected slow moving trucks that you'd expect on an artery clogging things up. I appreciate the burden that these drivers carry in terms of their timings, limitations on vehicles, speed management etc, but dear lord don't jump dangerously into the 'fast lane' at the bottom of a hill then crawl past an equally slow vehicle for five minutes.

Roadblock 01-09-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 17055764)
M25 around Dartford, I have noticed in the past three months every Thursday Friday it is just a choc a block. I wonder if there are aliens or something. Very bizzare and no one is reporting it till you are there and stuck for an hour to cross 5 miles

Might be due to major road closures in nearby Crayford (Watling Street) and Dartford Town Centre in recent weeks

pallet 01-09-2023 05:42 PM

It is just crap, 4 lanes with 4 tunnels and still it comes to a standstill

RazorsEdge 01-09-2023 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimos_uk (Post 17055819)
I spent a large portion of yesterday on the A34 (both ways!) and it annoyed me hugely that one of the main road arteries remains a dual carriageway with the expected slow moving trucks that you'd expect on an artery clogging things up. I appreciate the burden that these drivers carry in terms of their timings, limitations on vehicles, speed management etc, but dear lord don't jump dangerously into the 'fast lane' at the bottom of a hill then crawl past an equally slow vehicle for five minutes.

I know the road you mean, and I have also noticed the truck drivers using the fast lane when there is traffic

RazorsEdge 01-09-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17055856)
It is just crap, 4 lanes with 4 tunnels and still it comes to a standstill

Yup and it is so annoying, plus they charge you to sit in that traffic, they should be refunding us for the pleasure

Richard 01-09-2023 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17054235)
I've been frequenting pubs for an unhealthy amount of time. In a packed boozer you will always find that the squeaky wheel will get the most oil (wrong thread) and the familiar face will also get attended to first.
I have noticed that the younger generation seem to lack the social skills to be assertive at a bar counter. Probably too used to ordering Uber drinks and Uber marijuana.
What is starting to annoy me is the fad in a few of the newer joints of forming a line. The first few times I bulled my way to the bar, totally oblivious to the fact that drinkers would form such an orderly queue, only to be tsk tsk tsked by a long line of home brewery types who would not be back in line, until they had finished sipping their pint two hour later.

I discovered this for the first time in Edinburgh last week, whilst watching the Arsenal game in a pub with a huge beer garden with a massive (and very bright !) outside screen - The Pear Tree, for anyone who knows Edinburgh.

The whole of my family were watching the game with me, and I dashed to buy a round of drinks at half-time, to discover an orderly queue had formed in front of a quite wide bar inside. Completely threw me. I assume it was an audience queuing for a show in a fringe venue the pub runs upstairs during the festival, so went straight to the bar ... at which point my elderly ways were pointed out to me and I was told to join the queue. In fairness, it does actually work (in pubs big enough to have a queue), and I got served really quickly.

Apropos not very much, I met up-and-coming comedian Chloe Petts in the pub - also a Palace fan watching the game - who came across as a really friendly person.

chatham_eagle 01-09-2023 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17054235)
I've been frequenting pubs for an unhealthy amount of time. In a packed boozer you will always find that the squeaky wheel will get the most oil (wrong thread) and the familiar face will also get attended to first.
I have noticed that the younger generation seem to lack the social skills to be assertive at a bar counter. Probably too used to ordering Uber drinks and Uber marijuana.
What is starting to annoy me is the fad in a few of the newer joints of forming a line. The first few times I bulled my way to the bar, totally oblivious to the fact that drinkers would form such an orderly queue, only to be tsk tsk tsked by a long line of home brewery types who would not be back in line, until they had finished sipping their pint two hour later.

It is very odd. I sort of understand it at brewery taps etc where they might only have one barkeep behind the jump, but pubs? Fk that.

As to your final point, I am a homebrewer but definitely don't take an hour per pint :D

west country boy 01-09-2023 08:46 PM

"barkeep" ffs

Joe85 01-09-2023 08:56 PM

Brightonís Europa League group is absolutely phenomenal; what a set of away days.

They seem to have some unending run of extreme good fortune and itís really pissing me off.

Pidster 01-09-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 17056420)

Apropos not very much, I met up-and-coming comedian Chloe Petts in the pub - also a Palace fan watching the game - who came across as a really friendly person.

I fear that even your best Hugh Grant pulling technique would not have made her melt.

big bad John 01-09-2023 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatham_eagle (Post 17056532)
It is very odd. I sort of understand it at brewery taps etc where they might only have one barkeep behind the jump, but pubs? Fk that.

As to your final point, I am a homebrewer but definitely don't take an hour per pint :D

I've actually acquired a taste for several IPA's in the last three years. It made me realize that the reason I lasted so long as a beer guzzler was I was practically drinking water all those years. Only problem is, sometimes you're enjoying the taste of a particular one and it's too late when you discover that it was 9.8%.
What does get me about the pint an hour sippers is, they walk in and ask the bar custodian (just for you Wcb:hmph: ) can they have a sample sip of several different types in a shot glass, to see which one suits their pallet. Have seen many a look of shock on their faces when they are told to shut the door on their way out.

chatham_eagle 01-09-2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 17056577)
"barkeep" ffs

In that context, I couldn't think of anything less shit than "server".

chatham_eagle 01-09-2023 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17057006)
.What does get me about the pint an hour sippers is, they walk in and ask the bar custodian (just for you Wcb:hmph: ) can they have a sample sip of several different types in a shot glass, to see which one suits their pallet. Have seen many a look of shock on their faces when they are told to shut the door on their way out.

I don't even think they want to find a pint they want, just want to be able to say they "sampled" them all. They are the digital version of beer tickers

Skin Up 02-09-2023 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 17056613)
Brightonís Europa League group is absolutely phenomenal; what a set of away days.

They seem to have some unending run of extreme good fortune and itís really pissing me off.

They will waste each day out. They will go to Athens and eat at McDonald's, in Amsterdam, they will drink flat Guinness at Paddy O'Reilly's Authentic Irish Pub. In Marseille, they will have their get-along gang club meeting in a Pizza Hut.

GeorgeIII 02-09-2023 06:27 AM

Will Prince Andrew be there?

Maidstoned Eagle 02-09-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 17056577)
"barkeep" ffs

Gutted you didn't think of it first?

Maz 02-09-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 17056639)
I fear that even your best Hugh Grant pulling technique would not have made her melt.

Hugh Grant? Leslie Phillips, surely?

El Aguila 02-09-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17057006)
I've actually acquired a taste for several IPA's in the last three years. It made me realize that the reason I lasted so long as a beer guzzler was I was practically drinking water all those years. Only problem is, sometimes you're enjoying the taste of a particular one and it's too late when you discover that it was 9.8%.
What does get me about the pint an hour sippers is, they walk in and ask the bar custodian (just for you Wcb:hmph: ) can they have a sample sip of several different types in a shot glass, to see which one suits their pallet. Have seen many a look of shock on their faces when they are told to shut the door on their way out.

This is a US thing, isnít it? I was staying with a friend (a ďbuddyĒ) in upstate New Jersey, this summer, and he took me to a cider house, where we sampled eight ciders in small glasses.

BERT'S HEAD 02-09-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 17058714)
This is a US thing, isnít it? I was staying with a friend (a ďbuddyĒ) in upstate New Jersey, this summer, and he took me to a cider house, where we sampled eight ciders in small glasses.

All decent pubs in Blighty offer a taster or two if you ask.

El Aguila 02-09-2023 10:45 AM

Interesting, I never knew that. Thank you.

Prince Phillip 02-09-2023 11:01 AM

The perfect tightness on a belt is always between two of the holes.

BERT'S HEAD 02-09-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 17058714)
This is a US thing, isnít it? I was staying with a friend (a ďbuddyĒ) in upstate New Jersey, this summer, and he took me to a cider house, where we sampled eight ciders in small glasses.

In some pubs here they do paddles - basically a small cricket bat with holes to fit three one third pints of your choice.

west country boy 02-09-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 17058746)
All decent pubs in Blighty offer a taster or two if you ask.

Also, country show, which are excellent, especially the ferret racing and tractor rides.

west country boy 02-09-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 17058782)
In some pubs here they do paddles - basically a small cricket bat with holes to fit three one third pints of your choice.

I've only ever sen them in some pseudo-Belgian pub near Drury Lane/Endell Street - The Lowlander maybe?

Prince Phillip 02-09-2023 11:25 AM

My [insert name of Premier League club] mate at work says about him: .....(blah, blah, blah, opinion stated as fact etc, etc....)

BERT'S HEAD 02-09-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 17058827)
I've only ever sen them in some pseudo-Belgian pub near Drury Lane/Endell Street - The Lowlander maybe?

Hastings and Stoke my first encounters and these were definitely not hip establishments.

Paulinmorden 02-09-2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 17058746)
All decent pubs in Blighty offer a taster or two if you ask.

Not sure they would if you were asking to taste the Stella or John Smith's!

Paulinmorden 02-09-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 17058782)
In some pubs here they do paddles - basically a small cricket bat with holes to fit three one third pints of your choice.

There was a pub round the back of Guy's hospital that did it with whiskeys. Called it a flight.

BERT'S HEAD 02-09-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 17058997)
Not sure they would if you were asking to taste the Stella or John Smith's!

Too right.

Freddy the Fish 02-09-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 17058999)
There was a pub round the back of Guy's hospital that did it with whiskeys. Called it a flight.

Three one third of a pint glasses of whisky? That's what I call a night out! :)

PeterH 03-09-2023 07:11 PM

There's a brewpub in Valparaiso that has the sample paddle.

Will have to visit soon to see if the place survived covid.

pallet 03-09-2023 07:12 PM

Watching arsenal V wankers and a player can stand still with the ball for a minute under no challenge

BringbackShipps 03-09-2023 07:21 PM

Players/Managers that shout Vamos when in England

BringbackShipps 03-09-2023 07:32 PM

Thanks camera man, fecking close up of Arteta shouting vamos about five minutes after posting the above. It’s literally the same amount of syllables as Come On you Spanish tw@t.

Little Fozzie 03-09-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringbackShipps (Post 17062010)
Thanks camera man, fecking close up of Arteta shouting vamos about five minutes after posting the above. Itís literally the same amount of syllables as Come On you Spanish tw@t.

Right?! It's as if he thinks he's Spanish or something!

PeterH 03-09-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 17062027)
Right?! It's as if he thinks he's Spanish or something!

More to the point. I must remember to post Vamos on match day threads when Palace score. A sure way to tickle the annoyance button of some posters.

CT_Palace 03-09-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 17062047)
More to the point. I must remember to post Vamos on match day threads when Palace score. A sure way to tickle the annoyance button of some posters.

VYP! ?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.