CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

ardeo 09-02-2010 05:23 PM

Apologies to Swanny then.

(Although I don't really mean it)

pauldrulez 09-02-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
You are mistaking Swanny for Paul and that is unforgivable in my book :o

I didn't tip many. That was last year.

I chose Pats, Saints, Vikings (even with Tarvaris/Frerotte/Sage"Helicoptor"Rosenfels) and Chiefs as my most improved.

I said that Broncos would do better than everyone expected after Cutler was booted out.

And I wanted Niners to do well for Singletary as I like his attitude.

pauldrulez 09-02-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Paul - check out post-season stats. Check out Peyton's completion %, yards and TDs thrown against some of the all time great players.

He's right up there.

To say he chokes in the play-offs just demonstrates what kind of person you are.

Just out of interest, Paul - where do you rank Dan Marino amongst QBs all-time? Maybe not THE best but one of them, yes? Number or rings? Zero. Play-off record? 8-10

This list of chokers just goes on, and on, and on...

To be fair, you have a point BUT I think it is right to call the Colts chokers as well as Manning.

In a regular season game, Manning leads the team down the field and makes it 24-24. In the biggest game of the season, he takes them to halfway and then gets pick-sixed to make it 31-17.

I've always maintained and always will that the Colts and Manning are the best and most ruthless team in the regular season. In the post-season, they fall every time (bar 1) and usually at the first hurdle.

In 3 Superbowls, Brady led the team down the field to either a FG or TD that tied or won the game at the time of the play. Including vs the Giants to make it 14-10 which people forget about.

Manning hasn't done that yet.

Regular Season - Give me Manning 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Post Season - Give me Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, maybe even his ****** brother ahead of Manning.

saxoneagle 09-02-2010 05:58 PM

Manning has the record for the largest ever comeback in a play-off game, you f*ckign doofus.

To say he hasn't done it before is therefore frankly ridiculous, petty and ignorant.

I'm not replying to you anymore as the above three things describe most of your NFL views.

For everything you say Peyton hasn't done, ask the same question about Marino and then you might realise what a f*cktard you are being.

Benzhiyi 09-02-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
In a regular season game, Manning leads the team down the field and makes it 24-24. In the biggest game of the season, he takes them to halfway and then gets pick-sixed to make it 31-17.

You've gone mad.

Porter made a great play on the ball in question, and Reggie Wayne made an uncharacteristically lazy effort to make the catch.

Without that one play it could have been an entirely different outcome. Just as, if Garcon doesn't drop a perfect Manning pass when wide open at 10-3, it could have been an entirely different outcome.

If Manning had bottled the entire game Sunday, you'd have a case. But he didn't - one play sealed it.

Oh, and you're also ignoring the fact that the Saints secondary played brilliantly. Way above the level of their opposite numbers in blue. You do them a massive disservice in pinning this one on Manning.

jazman 09-02-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
I didn't tip many. That was last year.

I chose Pats, Saints, Vikings (even with Tarvaris/Frerotte/Sage"Helicoptor"Rosenfels) and Chiefs as my most improved.

I said that Broncos would do better than everyone expected after Cutler was booted out.

And I wanted Niners to do well for Singletary as I like his attitude.

I wasn't asking you to explain yourself, just the name that you have managed to get yourself on this thread ... and correctly so :D

jazman 09-02-2010 06:15 PM

And for the record, I don't see it as Manning and/or the Colts choking. Just a very good game ending with a winning team. End of. It doesn't always have to be about a team choking or throwing it away ... We know Paul has an issue with certain teams depending on which way the wind is blowing ... but the Colts and Jets in particular.

pauldrulez 09-02-2010 06:47 PM

You all might want to check the reports on google.

Manning and Colts choking seems to be a common theme

pauldrulez 09-02-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Manning has the record for the largest ever comeback in a play-off game, you f*ckign doofus.

To say he hasn't done it before is therefore frankly ridiculous, petty and ignorant.

I'm not replying to you anymore as the above three things describe most of your NFL views.

For everything you say Peyton hasn't done, ask the same question about Marino and then you might realise what a f*cktard you are being.

Yeah, the refs had nothing to do with that comeback.

Faceguarding? Yeah, cos that's a rule :rolleyes:

pauldrulez 09-02-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
You've gone mad.

Porter made a great play on the ball in question, and Reggie Wayne made an uncharacteristically lazy effort to make the catch.

Without that one play it could have been an entirely different outcome. Just as, if Garcon doesn't drop a perfect Manning pass when wide open at 10-3, it could have been an entirely different outcome.

If Manning had bottled the entire game Sunday, you'd have a case. But he didn't - one play sealed it.

Oh, and you're also ignoring the fact that the Saints secondary played brilliantly. Way above the level of their opposite numbers in blue. You do them a massive disservice in pinning this one on Manning.

Colts choke the first game they play outside in the playoffs.

First game not at home, without Poliar watching the refs with the Competition Conmittee in his pocket.

jazman 09-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
You all might want to check the reports on google.

Manning and Colts choking seems to be a common theme

I didn't see it as choking to be honest ... the biggest thing in those reports are that Manning cannot be considered as a top QB as he has failed to win a 2nd SB. The suggestion is that anyone can win one. It's the 2nd that proves you are in the elite. Absolutely ludicrous. Strongly disagree. I thought the press in the UK were bad ...

The fact that Manning didn't wait around after the game merely proves that he was in the zone and he absolutely hates losing. I would be the very same, distraught at losing in the final game. Sometimes can be seen as arrogance admittadly and a fine line ... maybe professionals should be better than that but at the end of the day the ultimate in their profession is to reach the top. And the top is winning the SB. To lose the SB must be sickening. No comparison, but I can kind of appreciate the feeling ... reaching three cup finals with the football team I used to play for ... lost two of them was absolutely gutting even though we did end up winning one ... made the win all teh sweeter to be honest but nothing erases the feeling of losing a big game ... In Manning's position with the camera's watching everything they do he should be responsible enough to do the right thing, but again, I kind of know where he is coming from ...

Strathclyde Eagle 09-02-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
PFT says he did the handshakes etc in the Saints dressing room after the game.

That's fair enough then. My bad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
The third non-handshake story in North America over the past year. All kicked off by Sidney Crosby. :clown:

or was it Lebron?

Possibly Lebron. At least he was honest about it, unlike Cindy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Manning has the record for the largest ever comeback in a play-off game, you f*ckign doofus.

Splitting hairs... AFC Championship game, yes, play-offs no. Step forward, Frank Reich (Bills vs Oilers, whatever year that was, down 35-3).

Finally, thoughts on the game...

Brees, just outstanding. How many people can give Manning a 10pt head-start and still play that well? Awesome. And the third Purdue QB to win a Super Bowl (Dawson & Griese before him).
Similarly awesome in less of a headline way: Hartley, Henderson and Vilma (the coverage where he started near the line and back-peddled about 30 yards was great, as was the time he beat Jeff Saturday to the edge to make a tackle for a loss - thank you to the Jets for letting him go, take it that was a Mangini decision?).
Best player in defeat (n.b. not a condemnation of Manning) Joseph Addai. Elusive, always threatening
Second best player in defeat: Dallas Clark.
Sean Payton won the coaching matchup, big style. Love the fact he had thought about the onside kick details so much he told the officials to be ready for it.
Asking Matt Stover to kick a 51 yarder? Didn't like that call one bit.
Or getting a kick returner to bring a ball out from five yards deep in the end zone and only reach the ten yard line. If they take that on the 20 that same 51 yarder is only from 41.

And finally... I love how for the past two years I've gotten ready for the game thinking, "It can't be anywhere near as good as last year's," and we've had three crackers on the trot. Sure beats the mid/late 80s when the NFC team would frequently win by huge margins.

Strathclyde Eagle 09-02-2010 10:50 PM

What is your teams favourite play?
For me, Ronnie Brown barreling in with seconds to go to secure the Monday night win again the Jets.

The best play of the season?
Joint tie, two catches. Mike Wallace vs Green Bay, Greg Jennings vs Arizona (wild-card round).

League (not team) Moment of the season?
Bud Adams making Simon Jordan looks positively dignified.

Your team MVP?
Here's where I probably make myself look silly... two beasts in the backfield, probably don't get those stats without Lou Polite ahead of them. Props also to Yeremiah Bell.

Your overall League MVP?
Think you still have to say Manning.

Biggest Disappointment in the NFL this year?
The continued decline of the Seahawks.

Superbowl 45 winner?
Still think you need to have a great QB, coach and kicker... so I'll say Green Bay.

Runner-up?
Suspect Pittsburgh will bounce back strongly again.

Most improvement in a team in 2010/11?
Washington

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 09-02-2010 11:32 PM

What is your teams favourite play?

DeSean Jacksons punt return against the NY Giants at the meadowlands


The best play of the season?

The onside kick by the Saints in SB 44

League (not team) Moment of the season?

The Vikes putting the Cowgirls to the sword in the Divisional Round

Your team MVP?

A tough one - Leonard Weaver / Brent Celek - joint MVP's

Your overall League MVP?

Drew Brees

Biggest Disappointment in the NFL this year?

Jim Johnson and Stewart Bradley :sob: plus losing to the Cowgirls 3 times :sob:

Superbowl 45 winner?

Philly Eagles!!!!!!! :lux: and then I woke up - a repeat for the Saints :o

Runner-up?

NY JETS

Most improvement in a team in 2010/11?

St Louis Rams (NFC) and Cleveland Browns (AFC)

oz_da II 10-02-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Non-BS Report fans look away now.

Cousin Sal has a big problem. Think I knew that last year when he put $3000 on Gary Russell not to score a TD when he was always their goalline option. Well researched, Sal. :D

He lost out on what he thought was a lock, Pete Townshend to smash his guitar at +125.

Cousin Sal's betting summary after the game, "I think I may need to go to a meeting or two..."

:D

jlmatthews 10-02-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
And the third Purdue QB to win a Super Bowl (Dawson & Griese before him).

:lux: Purdue Love :love:

Boiler Up!!

;)

saxoneagle 10-02-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Yeah, the refs had nothing to do with that comeback.

Faceguarding? Yeah, cos that's a rule :rolleyes:


That's right Paul, because the Pats never get calls going for them do they?

Just like all sports, refereeing decisions even out and you win some, you lose some. However, you still have to put your team in the position to take advantage of those lucky breaks, something which Peyton has done time and again.

And as for stating that Peyton and the Colts always lose in the first round or when they play away - you do realise that is what the seedings are for? To give the home field team an ADVANTAGE. I can't be bothered to look it up but I think I recall that during the play-offs, the home team wins approx 75% of the time. Do all the away teams choke?

I don't even know why I'm responding as you're completely oblivious to both history and facts and knowledge of the game (other than what you read and recycle).

Strath might be a Fins fan but at least he knows his sh*t. You just know sh*t.

saxoneagle 10-02-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Splitting hairs... AFC Championship game, yes, play-offs no. Step forward, Frank Reich (Bills vs Oilers, whatever year that was, down 35-3).

Yep, you are of course right. Still, a 17 point comeback against one of the best teams ever is pretty good for a choker who never comes back in the play-offs :clown:

Quote:

Finally, thoughts on the game...

Brees, just outstanding. How many people can give Manning a 10pt head-start and still play that well? Awesome. And the third Purdue QB to win a Super Bowl (Dawson & Griese before him).
Similarly awesome in less of a headline way: Hartley, Henderson and Vilma (the coverage where he started near the line and back-peddled about 30 yards was great, as was the time he beat Jeff Saturday to the edge to make a tackle for a loss - thank you to the Jets for letting him go, take it that was a Mangini decision?).
Best player in defeat (n.b. not a condemnation of Manning) Joseph Addai. Elusive, always threatening
Second best player in defeat: Dallas Clark.
Sean Payton won the coaching matchup, big style. Love the fact he had thought about the onside kick details so much he told the officials to be ready for it.
Asking Matt Stover to kick a 51 yarder? Didn't like that call one bit.
Or getting a kick returner to bring a ball out from five yards deep in the end zone and only reach the ten yard line. If they take that on the 20 that same 51 yarder is only from 41.

And finally... I love how for the past two years I've gotten ready for the game thinking, "It can't be anywhere near as good as last year's," and we've had three crackers on the trot. Sure beats the mid/late 80s when the NFC team would frequently win by huge margins.
It was a great game with two superb teams, nice summary.

The best bit about Stover was watching him stick his arms in the air as he kicked the ball to celebrate his three-pointer only to see the late hook around the post make him look completely stupid. :clown:

Chester 10-02-2010 03:34 AM

Stover puts his arms up to thank the lord after every kick apparently whether it is good or not.

Anyway, good enjoyable season. Brag, I predicted the Saints before the season started. Beat, Paul you never learn and come across as much of a troll as Jookbeard.

Anyway thats me done with here for another year.

oz_da II 10-02-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chester
Beat, Paul you never learn and come across as much of a troll as Jookbeard.

Ouch!!! :D :clown:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.