CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:10 PM

I cant stay for long as i'm in the middle of a lesson. ;)

Its well known that Cassel and the Pats has huge YAC.

My point is Matt Schaub. 2 2nd rounders for a guy that played one good game.

Minnesota need a QB that can make plays but manage the game and not make mistakes.

They are built everywhere else, and it wont surprise me at all.

I'm also enjoying the playoffs btw. :)

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:11 PM

And Rob Johnson to the Bills as well was one that came up in my weekend of stat studying ;)

ardeo 12-01-2009 03:13 PM

Interesting stuff, but it does depend a lot on your receiving corps still and what their strengths are and in general the throwing game plan, in terms of using a lot of cut backs or trying to air it out over the top more.

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:21 PM

Before I go,

Cassel handled himself in strong winds. Heavy Snow. Heavy Rain.

Had 11 Interceptions. 2 of which were against the Rams and were the fault of Moss and Welker.

Ben Watson was responsible for throwing 2 to a corner when he dropped them.

He also rushes and 3.7 ypc off 73 carries is pretty good.

saxoneagle 12-01-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
There was nothing mediocre about any of the games at the weekend. Even watching Jake Delhomme self-destruct on his birthday was compulsive viewing.

Be great if next weekend is the same.

I'm not missing the big names one iota.

The first game was rank awful. It wasn't even a defensively skilled game. It was about two OLs who fell apart and the one which fell apart least won.

I like defensive games, but that wasn't a defensive game - it was a lack of offense game, and got even worse once Chris Johnson sat out.

I'm not saying the games themselves were mediocre (in general) and I'm not bothered about the "big names" but a Superbowl with an 8-8 and 9-7 division winner would've been a disaster for the NFL, IMO.

I agree with nookie, I wish we were West Coast.

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:29 PM

I thought it was a great game.

I thought Giants-Eagles was the worst of the 4. And I dont really care for either team but didn't want The Lesser Spotted Forehead to win the Bowl.

Strathclyde Eagle 12-01-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle
Watching the Steelers game, the Commentator said something I didnít catch concerning something I didnít know.

I think he said something along the lines of you canít stop the clock by running out of play until the last five minutes of each half. Can someone confirm that for me please?

From the way they explained it I think the clock starts again when the ball is spotted. In the last five minutes of a half the clock doesn't restart until the ball is snapped again.

In the college game the clock also stops when a team gets a first down, with this in mind I'm amazed that, 1) college games don't take 4+ hours, and 2) you still get quirky rule differences between the game at the pro and collegiate levels.

P.S. Paul, don't use conditions as a factor in Cassel's figures. Aaron Rodgers has to play in similar conditions usually.

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:39 PM

I'm not using them as an excuse.

I'm using them to say that he has proved he can play in them conditions.

He threw for 250+ in the snow.

He has thrown 400 yds twice. He threw 4 TDs in a game.

I think that may be worth a first at least.

And there is no way he is there come draft time.

Benzhiyi 12-01-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
And there is no way he is there come draft time.

Then why are you Franchising him in the first place? I thought it was in case Brady isn't ready in time for next season? Because you won't know for definite on Tom when the draft arrives.

I'd be genuinely intrigued to hear Saxon's take on the whole Cassel situation, even if it means him disagreeing with me. :o

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:45 PM

Coincidence that the injury reports are coming out of Belichick's favourite press (if he has any).

Brady is fine. He was in the locker room every day for the last 3 weeks of the season with Adalius Thomas rehabbing.

And I am happy with KO'C as a starter for a few weeks if Tom was on PUP.

I guarantee Cassel is gone by the draft and Brady starts against.... in September.

Strathclyde Eagle 12-01-2009 03:46 PM

I don't know what he's worth in terms of draft picks, but his limiting of mistakes down the stretch will make him worthwhile to someone. If he's starting for the Vikings instead of Jackson/Frerotte they become much better immediately.

I'd be interested in a first half/second half of the season split on Cassel and those stats. Although I wasn't watching the Pats as closely as Paul and Saxon it did seem that they opened up the playbook more for him as the season went on.

pauldrulez 12-01-2009 03:50 PM

I'll find them when I get home.

But, the improved OL after the PUP returns helped him big time.

As well as Faulk providing his help playing on all 3 downs rather than a 3rd down back.

He had a bad game against Pittsburgh though.

I'll find out more tonight.

Strathclyde Eagle 12-01-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

And I am happy with KO'C as a starter for a few weeks if Tom was on PUP.

Not saying you're wrong but that would surprise me.
Quote:

I guarantee Cassel is gone by the draft and Brady starts against.... in September.

The Lions tried everything to trade the number two pick when they ended up picking Calvin Johnson, but it didn't happen. I don't think there is any guarantee that Cassel goes anywhere by the end of April.

saxoneagle 12-01-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Then why are you Franchising him in the first place? I thought it was in case Brady isn't ready in time for next season? Because you won't know for definite on Tom when the draft arrives.

I'd be genuinely intrigued to hear Saxon's take on the whole Cassel situation, even if it means him disagreeing with me. :o

Wherever Cassel goes, he'll be a bust unless he his managed like he was in Foxboro.

The playbook might've been opened up but we run more screens and slants than anyone and his deep ball throwing is awful. How he hasn't thrown more picks on the amount of balls he has under-thrown is crazy. The YAC stat isn't an anomaly - it's because Cassel can't throw and we have good receivers and backs who can break a tackle or catch on underneath and hook routes.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure where or when he will go - if we are going to get draft picks for him then I'd rather get them now and get some more D in than wait for 2010. However, any concerns over TB, of which there MUST be some, indicate to me that Cassel won't be traded until the end of the summer camps.

Benzhiyi 12-01-2009 04:05 PM

Assuming they're looking for a new QB, I'd imagine the Vikes see Derek Anderson as a more attractive option than Matt Cassel right now. Easier to get hold of, slightly more experienced, and would cost them a lot less in both draft picks and money.

saxoneagle 12-01-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I don't know what he's worth in terms of draft picks, but his limiting of mistakes down the stretch will make him worthwhile to someone. If he's starting for the Vikings instead of Jackson/Frerotte they become much better immediately.

I'd be interested in a first half/second half of the season split on Cassel and those stats. Although I wasn't watching the Pats as closely as Paul and Saxon it did seem that they opened up the playbook more for him as the season went on.

7 TDs, 7 picks through the first 8 - 14 TDs, 4 picks through the last 8.

6.7 yards per attempt first 8, around 7.7 yards per attempt final 8.

They opened the playbook more so the above happened. Also, this happened:

Completion percentage first 8 - 69%. Final 8 - 59%

Strathclyde Eagle 12-01-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Assuming they're looking for a new QB, I'd imagine the Vikes see Derek Anderson as a more attractive option than Matt Cassel right now. Easier to get hold of, slightly more experienced, and would cost them a lot less in both draft picks and money.

Or give Booty a shot at the job when he's already on their roster? They've tried everything else in-house, why not at least try that as well?

From Peter King's Fine Fifteen:
Quote:

12. Atlanta (11-6). The Michael Vick day of salary-cap reckoning is coming. If the Falcons cut or trade him this offseason (what else can they do?), he counts as $7.11 million on their 2009 cap. If they keep him, he counts as $15.43 million. Now there's a tough call.
What's tough about it? Cut the scumbag and get $8m+ back on your cap figure. It isn't like he's going to play for anyone else against you next season.

LLCOOLSTEVE 12-01-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Steelers will win the Superbowl

last time i predicted they would win it they went all the way! :)

as I said at the beg of Dec :)

Benzhiyi 12-01-2009 05:02 PM

Steelers, Ravens, Eagles or Cardinals will win the Super Bowl.

As I predicted on my way to work this morning. :)

ardeo 12-01-2009 05:10 PM

Some team named after a bird will make it to the superbowl