CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2009 01:34 PM

Geography prohibits me from attending the super bash. :)

And the wearing of throwbacks/alternate jerseys seems quite random. Throwbacks did seem to have a place on Thanksgiving a few years back, but that seems to have been knocked on the head now.

pauldrulez 14-01-2009 02:56 PM

I've applied a few times with other people as there are 4 of us that want to go but its a lottery for tickets.

Throwbacks are worn for special games for the team I think.

Not certain on that at all ;)

Benzhiyi 14-01-2009 03:03 PM

As of right now this is my favourite American footy pic ever.

Even Paul will love it...

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lphinsdcv4.jpg

(Anyone know how I can show it as a pic rather than a URL?!)

pauldrulez 14-01-2009 03:05 PM

I love it because Favre sucks.

I hate it because it cost us the playoffs.

I think we have discussed the Flacco safety, but what about the Delay of Game penalties? They went way over a couple of times. 2 seconds over for one play.

Benzhiyi 14-01-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
what about the Delay of Game penalties? They went way over a couple of times. 2 seconds over for one play.

I love it when you ignore things I write immediately after a game ends. ;)

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
As of right now this is my favourite American footy pic ever.

Even Paul will love it...

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lphinsdcv4.jpg

(Anyone know how I can show it as a pic rather than a URL?!)

See if it is hosted anywhere apart from imageshack?

saxoneagle 14-01-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
As of right now this is my favourite American footy pic ever.

Even Paul will love it...

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lphinsdcv4.jpg

(Anyone know how I can show it as a pic rather than a URL?!)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1...lphinsdcv4.jpg

saxoneagle 14-01-2009 05:01 PM

OK, firstly - right click on picture and choose properties. Put the URL into the image box and the pic will show.

Secondly, I think the delay of game comes from people not understanding the rule exactly.

One umpire watches the play clock. At zero, he looks from the play-clock to the ball to check the ball has been snapped. Depending on how quick the umpire reacts, this basically gives the team a second, sometimes two, to snap the ball before the play is called dead for delay of game. The Ravens one certainly stretched that limit but having zero on the play clock is not an automatic penalty as it is not a digital clock on which the call is based.

Just because we see zero, does not mean it is a penalty.

I hope that has explained it well enough and shows the umpire in the Ravens game had reactions slower than my granny. Who is dead.

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2009 05:06 PM

Peter King's article this past Monday suggested that along with the overtime rules would be discussed this offseason.

Benzhiyi 14-01-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
OK, firstly - right click on picture and choose properties. Put the URL into the image box and the pic will show.

Secondly, I think the delay of game comes from people not understanding the rule exactly.

One umpire watches the play clock. At zero, he looks from the play-clock to the ball to check the ball has been snapped. Depending on how quick the umpire reacts, this basically gives the team a second, sometimes two, to snap the ball before the play is called dead for delay of game. The Ravens one certainly stretched that limit but having zero on the play clock is not an automatic penalty as it is not a digital clock on which the call is based.

Just because we see zero, does not mean it is a penalty.

I hope that has explained it well enough and shows the umpire in the Ravens game had reactions slower than my granny. Who is dead.

You're correct - sort of.

They had Mike Pereira on Total Access last week who explained it like you have, but admitted that it is a penalty when the digital clock hits zero - but, like you say, the natural reaction time of the back judge means it sometimes doesn't get called because the ball is snapped by the time he looks back at the line of scrimmage. "Click... click" was his description. He basically said it's wrong but that's how it is for now. However, I can see them implementing some sort of playclock horn pretty soon to end all arguments about whether the play got off in time.

saxoneagle 14-01-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
You're correct - sort of.

They had Mike Pereira on Total Access last week who explained it like you have, but admitted that it is a penalty when the digital clock hits zero - but, like you say, the natural reaction time of the back judge means it sometimes doesn't get called because the ball is snapped by the time he looks back at the line of scrimmage. "Click... click" was his description. He basically said it's wrong but that's how it is for now. However, I can see them implementing some sort of playclock horn pretty soon to end all arguments about whether the play got off in time.

Yep, I don't know why they don't have a horn.

jj62255 14-01-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Yep, I don't know why they don't have a horn.

They could borrow the Vikings' :D

elliott 14-01-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Yep, I don't know why they don't have a horn.


That would be mental! Do it.

jazman 14-01-2009 06:03 PM

Thanks for your reply on Facebook elliott, I never thought for one second you had fella ... ;) :D

Strathclyde Eagle 14-01-2009 10:11 PM

On the subject of play clocks, the number of times CBS would suddenly show that pop-up play clock last weekend annoyed me. Just keep it there the whole time the way most networks do, simple!

And the constant showing of Chris Johnson and LT on their respective sidelines while their teams were struggling. Why not just send a sideline reporter up to them and say, "You realise you're costing your team the game here? How do you feel?" Actually, maybe that's what Gary Newbon does these days.

jj62255 15-01-2009 01:59 AM

Now there's an easy way to win some votes :)


PITTSBURGH -- What's in a name?

If you're the mayor of Pittsburgh and your beloved Pittsburgh Steelers are playing one of their archrivals for the right to go to the Super Bowl, certainly not "Ravens."

So goodbye, Luke Ravenstahll; hello, Luke Steelerstahl.

Ravenstahl, -- er, Steelerstahl -- says he decided to remove "Raven" from his name just as he precicts the Steelers will remove the hated Baltimore Ravens from contention in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

On Wednesday morning, the mayor began, but did not complete, an official name change petition, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Civil court staff gave the petition a docket number but said they did not expect to file it, in part because they did not receive the check for $108 required to process the change, the newspaper reported.

Ravenstahl said he did not come up with the idea for the name change, according to the report. That honor, he said, belonged to callers to a local radio station's morning show, who "called in and thought it would be a good idea to change from Ravenstahl, given we are playing the hated Baltimore Ravens this weekend, to Steelerstahl.

"As soon as I heard it, I thought it was a great idea."

Ravenstahl will keep the name at least through Sunday.

Coincidentally, "stahl" is German for steel.

pauldrulez 15-01-2009 02:42 PM

Matt Cassel's value has increased:
Tebow = not declaring
Bradford = not declaring
McCoy = not declaring
Sanchez = not sure yet.

Leaving Graham Harrell and Matt Stafford.

Stafford = Lions.

Harrell, how highly rated is he?

The 2010 draft is going to kick ass with a lot of the talent holding back (surprisingly IMO).

Steelerstahl = :D

Strathclyde Eagle 15-01-2009 02:48 PM

Still a long time between now and the draft. Wait until the usual nonsense takes place at the combine before guessing a draft spots and values of free agents.

pauldrulez 15-01-2009 02:51 PM

For you, anything.

But I've lost my first choice already. He held back for next year. My choice in the 20s. Brian Cushing. :hi:

pauldrulez 15-01-2009 03:11 PM

Oh dear...

The circus has started again :D

Quote:

Improving locker room chemistry will be the highest priority for the Dallas Cowboys this offseason and that will force serious discussions between Wade Phillips' coaching staff and owner Jerry Jones about whether to release controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens, according to team and league sources.

"I think we all know that chemistry is the problem with this team more than the schemes or anything else,'' a Cowboys source said. "Are we going to continue to allow talent to outweigh everything else in the decisions we make with players and putting the roster together? We're like the Redskins used to be when they signed every player they wanted. There's more to it than talent. It has to be more about the team.''

The Cowboys began their ill-fated 2008 season with three players on the roster who had been suspended by the league or their previous teams -- Jones, Johnson and Owens.

At least two sources believe that vice president Stephen Jones will attempt to convince his father that Owens should be finished with the Cowboys. But Jerry Jones just last year invested a $12 million signing bonus in Owens, which means there would be salary-cap fallout. In fact, Jerry Jones has suggested that there might be enough damage that the team would find it difficult to sign NFL sack leader DeMarcus Ware to a new contract.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.