CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

jazman 04-03-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Statements from Raiders and Lions:
:(


"Today's news is a sobering reminder about how truly precious and fragile life can be. We will continue to pray for a miracle, though we fully understand and respect the decision of the Coast Guard.

"We were thrilled yesterday with the news of Nick's rescue, and it gave all of us hope that Corey, Will and Marquis would also be found alive.

"While we still have that hope, we have begun to cope with the grim reality of this sad and tragic situation.

"We cannot adequately express our heartfelt appreciation to the Coast Guard and all the Florida authorities involved in the rescue mission. Their heroic efforts saved at least one life, and we know they did everything possible for Corey, Will and Marquis.

"We also want to thank everyone across the country for their expressions of support. We ask that you join us as we continue to pray for Corey, Will, Marquis and their families."
-- Detroit Lions

“We continue to hold out hope that Marquis Cooper, Will Bleakley and Corey Smith will be located and rescued.

"However, with the Coast Guard’s decision to cease search and rescue efforts, we are faced with the reality that this mission may not turn out the way that we all desire.

"Again, the Raiders would like to express our deep appreciation to all involved in the search and rescue efforts.

“We also wish to express gratitude to everyone around the world who has offered their support. We ask everyone to continue to remember these men and their families in their thoughts and prayers.”

-- Oakland Raiders

As statements go they are both exceptional but the Lions ones plucks at the heart strings as does the whole thing if I'm truthful ... :(

Strathclyde Eagle 04-03-2009 09:37 PM

Forget my Simmons/Lombardi podcast recommendation. It becomes a Cassell/Pioli love-in, complete with tipping the Chiefs as their sleeper for 2009 (which seems premature IMHO - I like the Seahawks as a much better sleeper).

jazman 04-03-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Forget my Simmons/Lombardi podcast recommendation. It becomes a Cassell/Pioli love-in, complete with tipping the Chiefs as their sleeper for 2009 (which seems premature IMHO - I like the Seahawks as a much better sleeper).

Premature like you say in view of the draft yet to take place. I mean look what two rookie QBs did last season for the Falcons and Ravens.

Strathclyde Eagle 04-03-2009 10:26 PM

Should have clarified, I think the Chiefs are more than a year away, regardless of who they draft. At least towards being a SB candidates, a few wins that Herm cost them, more consistent QB play and they could definitely be a play-off team.

AddiscombeEagle 05-03-2009 12:21 AM

Ray Lewis finally resigns for the Ravens. Phew.

Big shame is Jimmy Leonhard looks like going to the Jets, easily one of my favourite Ravens last year. Looks like Rex Ryan is trying to get as many as he can from us.

saxoneagle 05-03-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle
Ray Lewis finally resigns for the Ravens. Phew.

Big shame is Jimmy Leonhard looks like going to the Jets, easily one of my favourite Ravens last year. Looks like Rex Ryan is trying to get as many as he can from us.


A couple of reports I've read have already called them the New York Ravens.

saxoneagle 05-03-2009 12:44 AM

Few other deals today:

Warner has signed with the Cards $23m/2 yrs
Bengals sign Coles $28m/4 yrs
Ravens agreed deal with center Birk
Saints sign Greer and re-sign Henderson

nookiebear 05-03-2009 11:44 AM

Shawn Springs visiting the Eagles. Still a great player but he's injured more often than Paul Iffill.

nookiebear 05-03-2009 12:28 PM

Wow, Dallas cut TO

jazman 05-03-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
A couple of reports I've read have already called them the New York Ravens.

And Baltimore North :)

jazman 05-03-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nookiebear
Wow, Dallas cut TO

:lux:

Don't get me wrong, a truly talented player but blighted somewhat by his mouth and attitude.

It's time. The right decision. Thanks but no thanks TO ... :hi:

jazman 05-03-2009 01:14 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Quality. I didn't know they did this.

ardeo 05-03-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nookiebear
Shawn Springs visiting the Eagles. Still a great player but he's injured more often than Paul Iffill.

Interesting one that, is he really any better or reliable than Lito Sheppard?

Guess he's a cheaper option as cover at 33 years old.

saxoneagle 05-03-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nookiebear
Wow, Dallas cut TO


Yes! :lux:

I can now revert to speaking to my in-laws about football more without using swear words.

I'd put him in Cincy opposite Chad :D

saxoneagle 05-03-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Quality. I didn't know they did this.


Yep - I'd like to see the FA FORCE more players to do charity and volunteer work in England, too. These players are paid handsomely and spend half their week doing nothing. It should be written into a contract that, when fit, a player should do x hours per week volunteering. After all, they are paid FULL-TIME employees of a club.

jazman 05-03-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Yes! :lux:

I can now revert to speaking to my in-laws about football more without using swear words.

I'd put him in Cincy opposite Chad :D

This 'could' make a big difference. Sounds stoopid but maybe we're in the market for a new WR ...

ardeo 05-03-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
This 'could' make a big difference. Sounds stoopid but maybe we're in the market for a new WR ...

Looks like another ridiculously competitive NFC East next year :rolleyes:

jazman 05-03-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Yep - I'd like to see the FA FORCE more players to do charity and volunteer work in England, too. These players are paid handsomely and spend half their week doing nothing. It should be written into a contract that, when fit, a player should do x hours per week volunteering. After all, they are paid FULL-TIME employees of a club.

Agree entirely. Great post. :p

jazman 05-03-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Looks like another ridiculously competitive NFC East next year :rolleyes:

Yes, definately. I'm wondering if the Cowboys have someone likned up if they have finally decided to cut TO. Maybe they are happy with what they have ... But I do think we need a WR to replace him ...

As is the Pats/Fins division ....

saxoneagle 05-03-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
This 'could' make a big difference. Sounds stoopid but maybe we're in the market for a new WR ...


I dunno - the intention was always that Williams would be the #1 anyway. You wouldn't have given up so much for a #2. You then have Witten at TE who is as good as a #2 and then Crayton. I can't see you trading for a new WR but I can see you drafting one.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.