CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Funk Butter 29-10-2011 06:59 PM

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...70468246_n.jpg

pauldrulez 29-10-2011 10:51 PM

:D

Anyway, my use for the BBS is now largely contained to World of Sport.

Where you are at least allowed an opinion.

Looking forward to an earlier NFL day tomorrow thanks to the clocks changing.

Remember, it's 5pm starts people!

oz_da II 30-10-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez

Anyway, my use for the BBS is now largely contained to World of Sport.

Where you are at least allowed an opinion.

Welcome to the club. :p

pauldrulez 30-10-2011 01:12 AM

Cheers.

Obviously. you're all wankers too, but we're all minority sport loving wankers!

At least in the UK and Oz anyway. Funk's alright since he's in the States.

pauldrulez 30-10-2011 01:20 AM

As much as it'll be hilarious for Andrew Luck to bust out, just for the NFL media to explode... he is awesome to watch.

Consistently good, even under pressure.

His action reminds me of someone, but I can't think who at this time of the night.

ardeo 30-10-2011 08:10 AM

I've not seen luck play, but he's obviously a major talent, but will he be better than cam who is absolutely smashing it this year?

One week of early starts - yay, might even be awake for the end of the second set of games.

Strathclyde Eagle 30-10-2011 08:59 AM

I think he's a more traditional QB who is more highly considered in terms of arm strength and accuracy, which weren't Newton's best attributes in college (which I would say is his athleticism).

I think based on pre-season no-one expected Newton to be making such a successful start - in terms of personal stats at least - to his career.

pauldrulez 30-10-2011 09:13 AM

Agree with you Straths.

I'm stunned by Newton, but (i'm sure VHA and Latvian can confirm) his play seems to have lifted the rest of the team.

Starting with Steve Smith who wanted out last season.

Luck looks potentially great.

Lets hope he falls to a team outside of the AFC with a decent O-Line.

Swanny32 30-10-2011 09:31 AM

My concern with Luck is his ego. I know NFL is full of massive ego's but I don't think you can afford to have one straight out of the draft. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that he and his father have said there are some teams he will not play for regardless of if they draft him. That's not in the rules and I can imagine wont get him off to the best start in his NFL career if day the Dolphins draft him and he tells them he won't sign.

oz_da II 30-10-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
My concern with Luck is his ego. I know NFL is full of massive ego's but I don't think you can afford to have one straight out of the draft. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that he and his father have said there are some teams he will not play for regardless of if they draft him. That's not in the rules and I can imagine wont get him off to the best start in his NFL career if day the Dolphins draft him and he tells them he won't sign.

Nothing more than bored and lazy journalists speculating. He and/or his old man have never said that.

pauldrulez 30-10-2011 10:23 AM

I don't sense the ego factor with him.

He seems level headed enough, doesn't really need the money.

There will be media smears on him, like there was with Ryan and Bradford as well as what seemed like the entire 2011 draft class :D

Vince Hilaire's Afro 30-10-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Agree with you Straths.

I'm stunned by Newton, but (i'm sure VHA and Latvian can confirm) his play seems to have lifted the rest of the team.

Starting with Steve Smith who wanted out last season.

Luck looks potentially great.

Lets hope he falls to a team outside of the AFC with a decent O-Line.

On Luck, I believe he doesn't have to come out in the next draft if he doesn't want to. I have a feeling he probably would have this year if it were a large market team and not the Panthers who had first pick. He may do the same this year - although it looks like the Colrs are giving the Dolphins a run for their money. There are some rumours here that Peyton has enough influence over their front office to stop them from drafting Luck (although they have so many holes they might trade for more picks).

As for Cam, yes he has revolutionised this franchise, and totally lifted the players and fans. There were rumours of his ego, the laptop incident, cheating in exams, father taking college bribes... but he's come in, worked amazingly hard, and even veterans like Ryan Kalil and Jordan Gross are hailing him as a leader of the team already.

It's interesting with Steve Smith. Criminally underused and under-supported for years, he us reminding everyone how good he is. Pound for pound, he must be one of the toughest players in the NFL. But I was watching NFL Network the other day, and they were comparing SS this season to last. They showed him running his routes, highlighted the box where Clausen was meant to be throwing the ball and saw it fly off elsewhere. This year, it's been landing on the money. People say Luck has the arm strength and accuracy, but Newton doesn't. Well, he definitely has the strength - that ball travels fast. And his overall body strength means he can get a decent length pass off even when two tacklers are bringing him down. His accuracy is improving all the time, and will get better.

However good Luck is in a traditional sense, he'll have to go some to make more impact than Cam. Because of Newton's multi dimensional play, he's already almost impossible to play for some defenses. An expert recently said on TV that it might take a whole off season for teams to draw up a plan to stop him. But of course, by then he'll have got better... and actually have had a full pre season of his own to prepare, unlike this year...

Lovin me some Cam.

Swanny32 30-10-2011 12:38 PM

Looking forward to watching him on Sky Sports tonight.

gingerob 30-10-2011 12:53 PM

Love that the Eagles are the ch4 game tonight!

Funk Butter 30-10-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
I've not seen luck play, but he's obviously a major talent, but will he be better than cam who is absolutely smashing it this year?

He reminds me of a bigger Aaron Rodgers, maybe with not as strong an arm at this point.

pauldrulez 30-10-2011 04:32 PM

Here's todays doubles and trebles on a teams 1st TD scorer.

Ray Rice 13/8
Rob Gronkowski 7/2
Ahmad Bradshaw 12/5
Fred Jackson 19/10
Arian Foster 2/1

Ladbrokes obv.

jazman 30-10-2011 05:02 PM

Hey fellas. This really isn't me and I blame the alcohol that has replaced my blood in the body this weekend but I really hope that we grab hold of those damn eagles by the throat tonight and pluck them feather by feather until they are as bald as bald can be, fill them with stuffing and placed in the oven for an hour on gas mark 6. That should just about do it ...

That is all.

;) :)

Swanny32 30-10-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Hey fellas. This really isn't me and I blame the alcohol that has replaced my blood in the body this weekend but I really hope that we grab hold of those damn eagles by the throat tonight and pluck them feather by feather until they are as bald as bald can be, fill them with stuffing and placed in the oven for an hour on gas mark 6. That should just about do it ...

That is all.

;) :)

You should stop drinking fella.

jazman 30-10-2011 05:54 PM

Tashard Choice cut by Cowboys. It was on the cards as he's been so injury prone but has freed up a roster spot.

LLCOOLSTEVE 30-10-2011 06:12 PM

what is going on in St Louis, New York and Baltimore?!