CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Olympics (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260049)

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 06:26 AM

400m hurdles final probably the best race (in terms of performances) I have ever seen. Karsten Warholm smashes the old world record by nearly 0.8 seconds, Rai Benjamin in silver also smashed the old record, and the dude in bronze who was barely in the screen shot is 0.02 seconds outside the old world record.

Genuinely incredible.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 03-08-2021 09:25 AM

Big day for GB in the sailing . Two gold and a silver.

Jukesy 03-08-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15930566)
400m hurdles final probably the best race (in terms of performances) I have ever seen. Karsten Warholm smashes the old world record by nearly 0.8 seconds, Rai Benjamin in silver also smashed the old record, and the dude in bronze who was barely in the screen shot is 0.02 seconds outside the old world record.

Genuinely incredible.

A White athlete knocks nearly 1 second of a world record that he set in a sprint race and no eyebrows are being raised?:confused:

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukesy (Post 15930698)
A White athlete knocks nearly 1 second of a world record that he set in a sprint race and no eyebrows are being raised?:confused:

Itís a technical race as opposed to a flat out sprint, and he executed flawlessly.

A 19 year old white girl just smashed the uk 800m record if you want a target

Levski 03-08-2021 04:45 PM

Is anyone else finding the BBC coverage of this Olympics to be basically unwatchable? I know its purchased from Discovery Channel so they have much reduced right, but what they do have is just a mess. Red button / iplayer is all over the place. It is arranged by days and programmes, but it should surely be arranged by sport, no? I can't find anything I want to watch.

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levski (Post 15931057)
Is anyone else finding the BBC coverage of this Olympics to be basically unwatchable? I know its purchased from Discovery Channel so they have much reduced right, but what they do have is just a mess. Red button / iplayer is all over the place. It is arranged by days and programmes, but it should surely be arranged by sport, no? I can't find anything I want to watch.

Itís pretty poor, yes.

RazorsEdge 03-08-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukesy (Post 15930698)

Did he not get a medal?

CT_Palace 03-08-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15930566)

Genuinely incredible.

Benjamin wearing Nike "booster" spikes and from many comments I've read, the track itself has a bit of a trampoline about it.
What's more surprising is that we haven't seen more records (maybe there's a lingering issue of Covid training absenteeism?)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics

The Norwegian bloke doesn't use the Nike spikes, so that's quite incredible.

Big Blue Eagle 03-08-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levski (Post 15931057)

Itís frustrating, but the fault lies with Discovery & the IOC and their highly restrictive live stream rights. BBC can only show two live streams at any one time and have to make choices based on British or global interest. Itís much more straightforward with the athletics, where the coverage is pretty much the same as usual, other than maybe some RB dedicated field event streams at London/Rio. Itís inevitably going to jump around a bit and the on line text streams etc may get ahead of the TV coverage sometimes.

Given the time zone itís usually better in the evening catch up programs when you get much more structure. But this morning for example, you had strong British medal interest in athletics, cycling, gymnastics, sailing and boxing - they canít cover it all.

Apparently the NBC coverage in the US is appallingÖ.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lays-primetime

The BBC showed broadcasters how to do things with London & Rio, and ensured excellent exposure for every sport, no matter how niche (Greco-Roman wrestling anyone??). But the IOC chased the $$$$ and are supposedly seeing tiny audiences across Europe on the Paywall channels vs the traditional broadcasters. Not really promoting sports for the next generation are they?

Lombardarian 03-08-2021 08:22 PM

I’m guessing it’s the Japan tv crew who control it, but I was going to say that the replays of key incidents in a couple of events atleast at the velodrome and athletics has been poor eg non existent or cut too short.

Funk Butter 03-08-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardarian (Post 15931494)
Iím guessing itís the Japan tv crew who control it, but I was going to say that the replays of key incidents in a couple of events atleast at the velodrome and athletics has been poor eg non existent or cut too short.

There is a dedicated Olympic broadcast unit that runs it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympi...sting_Services

CT_Palace 03-08-2021 09:08 PM

Again not sure if its from the Japanese feed or a digital overlay from the Mexican communications company (Claro) that have the contract for Latin America (the former I suspect), but I don't like that during heats etc the results immediately after a race just show the first, second and third places... what about the rest of them? It's only later that you get to see the full result of a race and only then if your tv provider bothers to show that bit of the feed, which Claro annoyingly don't always do.

Skin Up 03-08-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15930321)
Oh dear, how sad.

https://twitter.com/artofhunger75/st...92460438519809

CP-RJW 04-08-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin Up (Post 15931726)

LOL

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 08:26 AM

Anyone know the reason for Ben Whittakers performance at the boxing medal ceremony.

stange555 04-08-2021 10:52 AM

His words: "I didn't win silver, I lost gold".

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 11:41 AM

Behaved like a prat all the same.

Big Blue Eagle 04-08-2021 12:35 PM

KJT pulls up with injury in her 4th event, so sad for these athletes where this is their ultimate goal. Hopefully she will be fully fit and firing for Paris?

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 12:41 PM

She was about to take the lead in that race , then boom. Bloody bad luck think she would have probably been in when the medals were going to be dolled out.

BERT'S HEAD 04-08-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15931989)
Behaved like a prat all the same.

Yep, no excuse for being a bad loser.