Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:37 PM

Hazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
That's a great article that I hadn't seen. A few key passages:

Each of the interviewees was said to have greatly impressed the Swans' panel, but Cooper stood out above the rest after giving what we are told was an X-Factor presentation.

He went into forensic detail about how he viewed the job, from first team in the Championship next season down to bringing home-grown Welsh youngsters through the Academy.

Cooper also emphasised the style of play he adopted with England, and previously as Liverpool's Head of Academy, was very much in the pass and move Swansea City mould.

“One key criteria in identifying the new manager will be that he can work with our young players and help them to improve,” said Birch as he oversaw the interviewing process.

To that end, Cooper was able to speak of the unprecedented work he had done at age-grade level with England and Liverpool.

Cooper was also able to explain how he helped develop Raheem Sterling, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn from Liverpool Academy to senior side and how he planned to do the same with Swansea's best youngsters.

The way Cooper conducted himself during the interview, coupled with his record as youth coach, completely won over Birch, Britton and Curtis and he became their unanimous choice. Comparisons are even said to have been made with Brendan Rodgers, who made his name at the Liberty Stadium before moving to Liverpool.

Even though Cooper presented well, Swansea also did their homework on him by speaking to others in the game.

They discovered he was so highly-rated within the English FA that powerbrokers felt he was destined for big things.

In fairness I think that Pep had a lot to do with developing Stirling he only really came into his own once he went to Man City and Cooper joined the FA in 2013 2 years before Woodbury made his debut. I’m not suggesting he didn’t play a part but I think it may have been a team effort.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:39 PM

Gyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'd rather it be Scott Parker than Steve Cooper & i don't want Parker.
Got a feeling it might be someone who's not been mentioned before.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:41 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazbaz View Post
In fairness I think that Pep had a lot to do with developing Stirling he only really came into his own once he went to Man City and Cooper joined the FA in 2013 2 years before Woodbury made his debut. I’m not suggesting he didn’t play a part but I think it may have been a team effort.
Cooper was the academy coach at Liverpool when Sterling and Woodburn were breaking through I to the first team.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:46 PM

DaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As mentioned before I think a lot of people are against Cooper simply because of the way he looks and where he is coming from which is exactly the wrong stance to take.
He has a very impressive record as a coach and is improving his managerial record year on year and is possibly one of the most highly respected coaches in football currently and its clear thats the route the club are looking to go down given Dougie's role.

Interestingly too a lot of the players we are rumoured to be looking at this summer are players that have all played under Cooper at some point.

If he gets the job then he deserves a fair crack at it and for the fans to get behind him and give him time to develop his own style and way of playing.

In all his jobs he has never stuck to one playing style and is very adaptable to the squad at his disposal, we all moaned last season at how boring it was when Roy just had a Plan A, from what I can see with Cooper he has a Plan A,B, and C depending on how the games are going and is certainly very knowledgeable of the game and I'm sure our players will give him the highest respect.

I quietly think he would do ok for us and may surprise a few.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 PM

Lydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLydder came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Aidy Boothroyd has Premier League experience AND inside knowledge of the England youngsters! Sign him up.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:48 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
You're an Athletic subscriber aren't you?
For me to get a job like th…..
Yes. I had read that one. I am not sure why it changes anything - for me at least. It sounds as if the author likes him and found him interesting and engaging and it points out the challenges for a wannabe Manager looking to start a career higher up the food chain. But there is a reason for that surely which if anything underpins my concern. He may well be a nice guy, a knowledgeable coach, but it’s a stretch to say he has the experience for the club to assess that in terms of a PL squad. It’s by definition a bit of a punt. Quite a big punt at that. Appreciate you trying though.

Whoever it is going to be, I just hope it’s done and dusted soon.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:59 PM

PalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
In fairness I think that Pep had a lot to do with developing Stirling he only really came into his own once he went to Man City
He was nominated for young player of the season two years in a row at Liverpool and Man City paid £44m, a record for an English player. I agree that Guardiola has developed him a lot, but he was very highly rated at Liverpool too.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:35 AM

cp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecp eagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just had a quick look over on Swansea's message boards... He certainly isn't Mr popular for some reason, On paper 2 top 6 finishes looks fairly impressive but I'm really not sure myself
Old 11-06-2021, 01:12 AM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFCalifornia View Post
With this attitude we get Steve Cooper.
who th hell is bill parcells?

If the bloke is shit hot then sign him up!
Old 11-06-2021, 02:23 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
As mentioned before I think a lot of people are against Cooper simply because of the way he looks and where he is coming from which is exactly the wrong stance to take.
Conversely, it’s crossed my mind that a lot of the championing of Lampard has homo erotic undertones. Just putting it out there.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 11-06-2021, 03:01 AM
Super Furry Animal

Riley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is here
Look at it this way: Cooper is going to end up in tbe Premier League eventually, by all accounts. Wouldn't it be good to make a progressive, forward-thinking hire of someone very much on their way up and respected in the game, rather than having to envy another club that follows through with a vision instead of retreading the same old names?

Boards have taken punts on a high proportion of Premier League managers who you'd say have 'worked out'. Look at Brendan Rogers' career trajectory - someone took a big punt on him early on, more than once IIRC. Sean Dyche - sacked by Watford, could have easily drifted out of the game. Eddie Howe - started coaching really young, working with scant resources when he first got the chance at Bournemouth, then had a misstep at Burnley but great success afterwards. Whether you like him or not, he's well-positioned to work at the top level for years to come.

The paths to success (which is a subjective term anyway) vary so much, there isn't a universal blueprint - those coaches all started somewhere and they all suffer some sort of knockback at some point. None will have followed a totally orthodox roadmap because such a thing doesn't exist.

It's all about how you manage any perceived risk, and part of that mitigation is how you back them with a sound structure and complementary expertise, and the support coming from various other staff in the set-up will obviously be important. He won't succeed or fail on his own, because nobody ever does, but he seems to have the acumen and drive. If we appoint him, he's going to be pretty hungry to achieve and to prove himself at a higher level. It's a while since we had someone like that at the helm - maybe Dowie was the last?

Why can't Cooper turn into our Rodgers or our Dyche if we create a situation that will give him the best chance of success? Wouldn't that be cool? Isn't it worth a try? You've got to look at the entire jigsaw and the sustainable set-up SP and Dougie are aiming for. It might mean fans stepping out of their comfort zone a tad but in Cooper i see a great chance to build something that will serve us well for the longer term, especially with the new academy.

I hope we have the balls to stick to that vision and go for it. The short-termism of the Premier League can be so depressing, i'd love a proper project to get behind. Then we can delete all those mercenary (and costly) firefighting dinosaurs from our contacts, and look to the future with something fresher and bolder. I see far more reward than risk in that.

I think Cooper would be an exciting appointment and I hope we go for him. It's a great opportunity for all parties, including us supporters.

Yours,
Steve Cooper's mum

Last edited by Riley; 11-06-2021 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:42 AM
DGFootball Pod

Sir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Absolute nonsense. Hence the mega fee he went to City for.

Rodgers should get the credit
Old 11-06-2021, 04:43 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by solpadeine View Post
Just think, if Cooper is like a younger Roy Hodgson, he could manage us for the next 32 years! Now that would be some consistency.
Probably keep the same players
Old 11-06-2021, 04:47 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
No guarantees with any appointment but surely as a PL club with a good number of consecutive seasons under our belt, we really shouldn't be taking a punt on a Cooper or Ismael types.

We really should be taking some of the risk out of this.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:55 AM

Ian J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIan J : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle View Post
No guarantees with any appointment but surely as a PL club with a good number of consecutive seasons under our belt, we really shouldn't be taking a punt on a Cooper or Ismael types.

We really should be taking some of the risk out of this.
And appointing whom?
Old 11-06-2021, 04:56 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp eagles View Post
Just had a quick look over on Swansea's message boards... He certainly isn't Mr popular for some reason, On paper 2 top 6 finishes looks fairly impressive but I'm really not sure myself
Football fans in " don't know when they're well off" shocker.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:57 AM

Kai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is here
Massive, massive gamble if true, and places a lot at hands of Dougie Freedman. I suppose Freedman will be the de-facto General Manager with Cooper essentially being a head coach.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:08 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
He did very well for us but we need to freshen things up and improve rather than do the same tired tactics every game that has gone stale. Are there risks attached? Sure, but the stats say we've regressed over the last 18 months and it can't all be explained by an ageing squad.

I get it, you are Roy's no.1 fan and in your eyes he can do no wrong but I think in similar way to Pochettino at Spurs, sometimes things go stale after a number of years and change is needed but it isn't in anyway a reflection on the manager's ability.

I’m not Roy’s no1 fan at all… I just look at the facts… and use intelligence and logic to form a opinion.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:10 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I dont think Cooper is a punt at all.

With Hodgson gone, Nuno and Dyche unavailable he is probably the most suitable candidate remaining and would work well in the Palace set up.

Ismael is a punt. Popovich is a punt. Carlos Managa-Equipio is a punt.

Cooper is a highly respected and superbly well connected coach who has a proven track record developing and improving young players and had to manage on an absolute shoestring at Swansea, selling players each season without replacements.

He aint a 'sexy' name, but if he gets the job, I hope we get behind him and give him a fair crack.

Last edited by adrenalin john; 11-06-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:26 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I find it difficult to understand how Cooper even gets on the list of options in our situation, let alone top it. It’s not a comment on his ability and he may well prove to be an excellent Manager (I hope so if he is the choice) but I am struggling to understand how anyone can judge that. He has just 2 seasons managing a senior club. Both seasons at the same club in the Championship. I don’t doubt that his youth coaching experience is up to snuff but there is a big difference between managing 16 and 17 year olds for England and a PL squad with characters like Wilf in it. So his sole relevant and senior experience is his time at Swansea. So I am finding it really difficult to understand how anyone at the club can be confident he is capable and competent for what would be a challenging season ahead for any Manager. If we were in League One it would make perfect sense.

Bemused.

Tbc this really isn’t meant to be an anti Cooper post, and if he is chosen then I will back him like any other Manager we have had but it’s really difficult to understand the thinking at the club lately and this will be another head scratcher if appointed.
‘Talent spotting’ to fit your structure would require you to take a gamble on what you think may fit, rather than know what is already is established, otherwise that isn’t talent spotting.

(I don’t know if Cooper is talented or a fit for the club but explaining why a manager maybe regarded as a good fit although not necessarily highly regarded)

I think we need to remember managers work with what they are given, how would Klopp or Guardiola fair at Swansea. We will never know. I think it’s the easiest thing to do is spend big money on a name via headhunting but to actually recruit someone based on potential is tougher. Who knows Cooper maybe a good fit.

Many moan about having a recruitment team, but when there are signs we are using it, many want us to go down the safe route and just sign names. Names equal big money and actually hold the club’s growth back. (Unless that names equates value more than then the unknown gamble)

Last edited by MFBias; 11-06-2021 at 05:34 AM.