Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-01-2022, 10:10 PM

Rob T is playing for a contract
First knew of Denny Warren as a very young teenager in the early seventies. He was well known figure where I grew up in Sydenham and other areas by football fans and non-football fans alike. Was the cousin of my Uncle who lived with the in Streatham. Heard tales of him taking on the West Ham north bank and witness him beating back Chelsea fans who were charging down at us in on the Holmesdale at Malcom Alisonís first game in charge. He was trying only thing that in the ground for a few minutes before he was turfed out !!

RIP Denny. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham and Penge
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
RIP Denny indeed. Truly a legend to those of us of his era.

BTW for those going to be at the Theatre of Weed on Friday (as shall I), there is a move to sing 'One Denny Warren' on 75 minutes.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:18 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Only knew him due to him sitting a few rows behind us.
I remember a few years ago, maybe Liverpool, a couple of home fans were in the stand, and he took it upon himself to eject them.
R.I.P
Old 12-01-2022, 02:10 PM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
First knew of Denny Warren as a very young teenager in the early seventies. He was well known figure where I grew up in Sydenham and other areas by football fans and non-football fans alike. Was the cousin of my Uncle who lived with the in Streatham. Heard tales of him taking on the West Ham north bank and witness him beating back Chelsea fans who were charging down at us in on the Holmesdale at Malcom Alisonís first game in charge. He was trying only thing that in the ground for a few minutes before he was turfed out !!

RIP Denny. Gone but not forgotten.
I was also at Kingsdale from the early 60's when Denny was there. Like me he lived on Kingswood Estate and was related to a guy of my age called Bob Purdom who I sometimes bump into in the Glaziers bar before games to this day.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:13 PM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (123.7 KB, 225 views)

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 12-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Twiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is hereTwiggy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by calne eagle View Post

BTW for those going to be at the Theatre of Weed on Friday (as shall I), there is a move to sing 'One Denny Warren' on 75 minutes.
...that seems a very apt and appreciative farewell.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:53 PM

Slyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSlyda : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by calne eagle View Post

Excellent idea.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:03 PM

Rob T is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
I was also at Kingsdale from the early 60's when Denny was there. Like me he lived on Kingswood Estate and was related to a guy of my age called Bob Purdom who I sometimes bump into in the Glaziers bar before games to this day.
Yes I was also at Kingsdale, but in the early 70ís. Knew a lot of people from Kingswood and there were lots of connections between Kingswood and the estate I was from in Upper Sydenham including my brother in law who I meet up with at each home game at the Victory ! Always seemed a mixture of Palace and Chelsea with the odd Millwall throw in for good measure in those days. Happy days.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:27 PM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
Yes I was also at Kingsdale, but in the early 70ís. Knew a lot of people from Kingswood and there were lots of connections between Kingswood and the estate I was from in Upper Sydenham including my brother in law who I meet up with at each home game at the Victory ! Always seemed a mixture of Palace and Chelsea with the odd Millwall throw in for good measure in those days. Happy days.
Yes I had mates on Kingswood some of whom supported Chelsea including guy called Tony McGill who was a very good player (captain of South London) and my best man who lived around the corner in Beresford House. He was Millwall through & through having originally lived in Peckham. We used to go to Palace one week & Millwall the next. As you say-happy days
Old 12-01-2022, 04:03 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsleftpeg View Post
I was a young lad standing on the Holmesdale in I think 1967 when we played Blackburn. Suddenly heard a commotion behind me and there were 4 or 5 Millscum attacking him and nobody was helping which made me feel really sorry for him, it was quite a beating but he stood his ground. I met him mainly at away game after that but he was definitely the leader of the away fans if any "problems" were involved. RIP Denny a true legend.
I must have been at the same game. Arrived to hear that Denny had been set upon by Millwall with 'bottles' and being told that he was now in the enclosure or Old Stand. Would have been before kick-off and a big shock that they would have travelled there just to hopefully catch him off-guard.

Also I recall the Oxford away game mentioned in the first post. Our first ever meeting with them. As normal everyone was trying to get in by the boys entrance. The 'steward' thought he had us sussed and asked to look at our hands. I doubt many of us were farm labourers so our soft London hands meant we must have been kids.

Into the home end and a general push across the terrace until a few slaps from some bigger guys forced a slight retreat and stand-off. Near kick-off Denny must have finished his beer and he appeared in the middle asking what was going on. Told that some of the oppo didn't want us there it was 'right we'll see about that'. Off he marched, jaw jutting out into the middle of them. We followed and the end was ours.

It certainly wasn't the ferocity of what happened on the terraces in latter years. You just knew if someone took a liberty you would have Denny's back.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:23 PM
analyse this

bourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is herebourne man Sam the man is here
Mods can we merge the two Denny threads
Old 12-01-2022, 05:05 PM

Braders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sounds like a true Palace legend, RIP.

Glad he knew of the Millwall result.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:32 PM

modernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I really hope he gets a minutes applause at the next home game, As a 13 year old going on the Holmesdale for the first time around 1977/78 he really was the king of the Holmesdale. RIP.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35 PM

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernsouler View Post
I really hope he gets a minutes applause at the next home game, As a 13 year old going on the Holmesdale for the first time around 1977/78 he really was the king of the Holmesdale. RIP.
Next home game - Would be very fitting for applause on 75 minutes then to hear Denny's beloved Holmesdale belting out "There's only one Denny Warren"

Denny was and always will be the King of the Holmesdale.

RIP -

Wish one of the Mods would move this Thread onto GPD as it should be shared with all the Fan base.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:23 PM

alf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Back in the late 60's we had a friend at school whose first name was Warren. As a nod to Mr D. Warren himself we nicknamed our friend 'Denny'
RIP Denny.
Old 14-01-2022, 01:07 AM

Madden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMadden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Denny's family have set up a just giving page, with proceeds going to the Palace for life foundation, for those wishing to honour him!
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-01-2022, 10:08 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sad news ... he was a name when I started going to SP in the mid-70's.

Met him once or twice on random away games late 70's ... but he was part of my youth. him and a few other Legends.

RIP
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with Ö. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 14-01-2022, 08:06 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
I first heard the name Denny Warren, in the school playground when I was about nine. To my young ears it sounded like Danny Warrant. I learned the correct name a few years later when in 1971 he appeared before Croydon magistrates. The headline in the court reports section of the Adder was, ' Tin God of Palace assaulted policeman." The report started, Dennis Warren, steelfixer (25). A copper giving evidence went on the stand to say that Warren was a mini-god amongst fans on the Holmesdale and before the final match of the season (v Huddersfield) he thumped a copper.
What surprized me was that he was 25. I know nowadays you get the odd baldy with fading tattoos in their 60's who likes the occasional tear up, but back then most blokes who liked a row at football were spotty faced, skinny teens. So 25 seemed ancient.
It would be another year before I actually found out what he looked like. He was pointed out to me as he held off the Man Utd hordes who were trying to get up the steps to take the Holmesdale. For the first time they failed. They also got a 5-0 hammering for good measure.
I first got to speak to Denny when he was made a steward on our train to Sunderland. All the faces got a stewards job. They could stop the young Palace rowdies acting up, but unfortunately they couldn't get the trains there on time ( we got in the ground just before half time ) or stop the friendly mackems bricking the train windows as we jubilantly pulled out of Sunderland.
I really hope the fans give him a cheer on the 75th min tonight. He might have taken the law into his own hands at times when it came to defending his beloved Holmesdale, but he was a football lover through and through.

Rest IN Peace Denny Warren. When you tip toe through heaven, don't forget to put your boots on.