Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I listened to the three Love albums today, still ahead of this time. I think I shall never tire of them.
How do the other two compare to Forever Changes?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
The first album is really a pop garage punk record, I suppose, except you can tell that there's a particular lyrical and musical genius in the band that, even if they'd never made another record, which they nearly didn't, would probably have set them apart from the scores of bands of that ilk that were around in the mid 60s. Since you or I could never listen to it without the perspective of what they went on to record I guess it's easy for me to say that - but it's a great record in its own right.

Da Capo came out the same year (I think they toured hardly at all and they had fierce support from one of the great artists' labels, Elektra) and it would be most bands' masterpiece - you could compare it to Giant Steps by the Boo Radleys or See You on the Other Side by Mercury Rev. Side two of the record is a long jam, pretty much, which I remember I found pretty hard to take when I was a teenager. But now it sounds magnificent - and side one is everything you could hope for from the band that went on to make Forever Changes, six great songs between punk, pop and psychedelia.

I would run out and get them both if you like Forever Changes. The band really split up after Forever Changes, which did nothing in the US - there are some records after that with some good moments but McLean had left the group and you wouldn't really put them up there with the first three albums.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks Mark, appreciate you taking the time to do that.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Each of Love's albums is sublime, in different ways. The lyrics on Da Capo are genius, once you work out what he's on about. (She Comes in Colours is about the female menstruation - snigger).

I'm giving Spoon's new album a few spins, but it's not really clicking yet. Despite their popular success with their last two albums, I don't think they've managed to equal the glory of Gimme Fiction.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
Thanks Mark, appreciate you taking the time to do that.
Any time.
I hate it when brilliant music exists and people who would love it, don't get to hear it, if you know what I mean?
Do you have Spotify?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

They released those three records in the space of 18 months, by the way, from March, 1966, to November, 1967, by the way. A run to rival the first three Roxy Music albums.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
would I like Love do you think?

I'm currently listening to the new Horrors a lot
Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey View Post
would I like Love do you think?
You like a lot of stuff that would have been influenced by them, so yes.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Any time.
I hate it when brilliant music exists and people who would love it, don't get to hear it, if you know what I mean?
Do you have Spotify?
Not yet, but once I've retired in a couple of weeks I shall start working out how I will buy, store and consume music in the future because continuing to add to the cd collection is not really an option anymore.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM

peter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepeter.sutton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Each of Love's albums is sublime, in different ways. The lyrics on Da Capo are genius, once you work out what he's on about. (She Comes in Colours is about the female menstruation - snigger).

I'm giving Spoon's new album a few spins, but it's not really clicking yet. Despite their popular success with their last two albums, I don't think they've managed to equal the glory of Gimme Fiction.
Gimme Fiction is a terrific record, one of my regular go to's.

Curiously, in their "how to buy" add-on to their review of They Want My Soul, Uncut do not include it. Mystifying..
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Welcome To The Infant Freebase
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You like a lot of stuff that would have been influenced by them, so yes.
okey dokey!

I shall start with Forever Changes then
Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Not yet, but once I've retired in a couple of weeks I shall start working out how I will buy, store and consume music in the future because continuing to add to the cd collection is not really an option anymore.
If you stream and save at the maximum bit rate and you have a good sound card it is pretty much indistinguishable from CD quality, I have to admit.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
okey dokey!

I shall leave the usual slur to west country boy.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
I shall leave the usual slur to west country boy.
Mulattos, race records, &c. - that sort of thing?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
okey dokey!

If you don't already know Alone Again Or, I'll give you 10p. Everybody knows Alone Again Or

I've got a cover The Damned did of it somewhere...
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Mulattos, race records, &c. - that sort of thing?
thx.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you don't already know Alone Again Or, I'll give you 10p. Everybody knows Alone Again Or

I've got a cover The Damned did of it somewhere...
He's led a sheltered life.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Colin Blunstone - Never even thought. He had a great voice albeit not very hard rock but good to listen and relax to.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM

It's the time of the season.